[10] ✓ ᗩ ᔕIᗪE ᑫᑌEᔕT ᗯITᕼ TEᗩᗰ 7!
274 6 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Naruto: 砂の赤い髪忍者 Red Haired Sand Ninja!

✓ ᗩ ᔕIᗪE ᑫᑌEᔕT ᗯITᕼ TEᗩᗰ 7!

[10]

 

 

Gaara

 

Gaara and Nikko stopped outside the door to Morino Idate's hospital room. There was a small porthole allowing view into said room. Nikko lightly pecked on the door.

"I-Idate-kun?" She called.

They heard a sound of approval from the other side, and into the room both went. Well, Gaara went last, after Nikko's centipede pace. It was obvious the girl wasn't used to her new crutches. Gaara had never had to use those tools and as such withheld his opinion on the subject.

As Nikko passed by Gaara he saw a glimpse of her neck. There were two marks; the first his own design from the night prior. A small dotted redness that resembled a cherry juice stain. Her neck is red. From when I...when we... Gaara swallowed the thought down. He kind of felt like a pervert, but reminded himself that he wasn't planning on leaving any type of marks on the girl. It just sort of happened. Not that Gaara regretted the action. He felt quite the opposite, actually. However it was with much mortification that he reflected on how excited his body had become. The female variety were a tricky sort indeed.

The second mark he saw was decidedly inflicted by something else. He only had a split second to observe it, but would attest that it was a knife marking. Gaara briefly remembered seeing her neck when he'd arrived earlier. She had not a scratch on her person. He knew this because he'd ensured himself of that fact. Now however....

Uchiha Sasuke did that to her. The blood I smelled must have been from this wound, he realized. Along with that realization was a emotion he was completely unfamiliar with. It prickled and settled in his belly with much aggravation; as if a song had gotten lodged into his brain. It refused to let go--this feeling of frustration. Am I... he frowned in thought.

"Nikko-chan....ha...your leg," Idate greeted from his bed. He was hooked up to an IV and his legs were raised by some sort of device that would help circulation. All four limbs were bandaged tightly with white linen. He grimaced and moved to set up, but the girl dropped her crutches at the sight of him and hobbled over unassisted. "I-Idate-kun!" She called before gripping his exposed hand between both of hers.

"Hey, don't cry," he told her. Gaara could only see Nikko's back, but saw the shaking of her torso. At length he heard sniffling. "I'm--I'm so sorry," she cried.

"Sorry? The one who's sorry should be me!" Idate shouted then pounded his fist on the mattress. "They were after me. And I got you involved..." he added before noticing Gaara in the background.

The Jinchuriki neutrally watched the scene unfold before him. As he did so, Idate narrowed his eyes at the sand ninja. "Why is he here..." the teen murmured.

Nikko glanced back at Gaara. "Er---G-Gaara-san? Could I...have a moment alone with Idate-kun?"

Alone? Why must she be alone with him? The Jinchuriki couldn't understand but nodded. Without a word he parted the room and stood in the hallway. Utsuri Nikko confessed to have feelings for me. Yet she wants me to leave. Why...? Am I not worthy of her innermost thoughts? Gaara crossed his arms and thought hard on the subject. Try as he might, he didn't understand Nikko at all. She was a complete mystery to him.

After a looping thought pattern that only proved to confuse him further, Gaara gave up momentarily and decided to instead observe her interactions for himself. He shut his left eye and did the hand signs for his sand eye. 

Quietly, innocently, the sand ninja witnessed Nikko and Idate through the porthole....

 

Nikko

 

The girl didn't want to say everything she felt; it wasn't the time or place. She chose her words carefully. "...Idate-kun, I was also the target. Remember what I told you before? Those ninja were after me as well. So...don't blame yourself. B-Besides! We're fine! Sure, we're banged up and you--you can't race now--" her words cut off with a fresh sob. She grabbed his white cover and hid her face into it. Nikko could only imagine the anguish Idate was feeling. He had been looking forward to proving himself to Jirocho, who meant the world to him. The entire town was relying on the outcome of the race. A race that wouldn't happen now.

"Nikko-chan..." Idate gently stroked her head which was bent over the bed. The sounds of a female's cry echoed throughout the room. "Nikko-chan--it's okay, alright?"

"Hic.... I was...so...useless! If not for Gaara-san and the rest, then we would both--" Nikko shook her head as though scared to finish the sentence. Despite dying once before the girl was terrified to repeat the process. Death wasn't anything to look forward to, at least not in her experience. She had no idea where'd she end up if fate repeated itself.

"Those...shinobi..." Idate mumbled tiredly. He leaned back into his pillows and stared up at the ceiling in thought. "It's time I come clean."

"Come..clean?" Nikko asked.

"Yeah. There really isn't a good way to explain it so I'll just start from the beginning..."

Idate began to tell the story of his childhood, growing up in the Village Hidden in the Leaves. He spoke of Ibiki Morino, who was the proctor for the chuunin exam selection. The teen had been posed a question that he thought he'd answered soundly, only to realize the error all too late. As such, he'd been barred from the chuunin exams.

The former leaf ninja genin sighed and clenched his fist. "...I'm...a coward, Nikko-chan. The only thing I can do now is repay Jirocho-san back for his kindness that day." After saying those words the teen shot forward with alarm. "Wait! My--my pocket knife! Where is it?!" He shouted and pulled away his cover, revealing nothing.

Nikko blinked and glanced around the room, also not able to spot his decorative pocket knife. She frowned. That knife..he's had it since I've known him. It's...from Jirocho-san. If he doesn't find it, then... Nikko fisted her hand. "Idate-kun..I'll see if anyone picked it up. I'm sure it can't be far! Don't worry, I'll find it!"

Aponi fluttered around, "But Hime-sama! Your ankle!" Nikko ignored her guide.

Idate's expression softened at the kindness of the girl. "Thanks Nikko-chan. I would help you look, but," he motioned to his legs suspended in the air, "I'm a little tied up."

Nikko shook her head with a gentle smile. "NnnNnn, you stay here and get better! Okay? And after..." she tinged pink, "I have my own things to talk about. J-Just the two of us!"

Her words affected Idate greatly. His entire face turned crimson. "S-Sure! Y-Yeah. You bet!"

The visit was now over. Nikko grabbed her crutches and left the room, only to almost bump right into Gaara. He stood there with his arms crossed. The girl smiled at him. "Gaara-san, thank you for everything. It would seem that Idate-kun has misplaced his treasured knife. Jirocho-san gave it to him, you see..." she trailed off in a daze.

There was a new and intriguing expression shown on the Jinchuriki's normally neutral face. He looked almost...mad.

Aponi voiced her thoughts, "Gaara-san is upset Hime-sama! See that frown?"

 

Nikko squirmed under his scrutiny. "Gaara-san? Are you actually mad?" She asked, then realized how rude it was to ask him such a thing. The girl flushed and added, "I-I mean it's okay if you are! Er--I'm sorry! Please don't be upset at me! I just--it's just--"

"..."

He didn't answer her, which only made the girl even more flustered. Nikko ducked her head. "I'll be quiet now!"

Gaara finally spoke: "Are you scared of me?"

Nikko glanced up from her bangs at him. She was numb looking at his handsome features but recovered. "...No, Gaara-san." She smiled nervously, "I'm sorry if I seem that way...it's q-quite the opposite actually!"

His eyes grew wide. "The opposite? What is the opposite?"

"N-Nothing! Forget I said that! Ah ha...a-anyway, I have to go find Idate-kun's...knife?" She jolted. Gaara had surprised Nikko by reaching out to her neck as though he were going to touch it. The girl covered the kunai marking, resulting in Gaara dropping his hand. Briefly his tanuki eyes exposed vulnerability.

"...Let me aid you," he offered quietly.

"Eh? Y-You want to help Gaara-san?"

"With your leg injury as it is I don't think you will find it quickly. The sun is out again but the ground is damp, which would make finding something difficult."

"Oh. Well in that case, sure!"

 

Gaara

 

He straightened his spine a little. Although he had lied somewhat, Gaara didn't feel bad for it. It was true that the rain would make finding the knife difficult. Just not as much as he said.

"Oh. Well in that case, sure!" Nikko said with a bright cheerful smile.

So the two set off from the hospital.

Well...

Before that actually happened Nikko had to be released. She was made to sign waivers stating that she was fine on her own, and that Gaara would be her care taker, but the teen was finally free.

The sun was high in the sky as they left Jirocho's mansion. Gaara sensed he was being studied and turned to see Kakashi Hatake on the rooftop of the mansion. He lifted his hand with a tiny lazy wave before resuming his post.

Kakashi had told Gaara how he'd been unable to find Aoi despite using his hounds. The copy ninja had suspected that Aoi must be hiding out nearby, perhaps in the Land of Lakes to hide his trail. Which would make the most sense. Gaara would go after his scent but knew he couldn't leave the susceptible Utsuri Nikko unguarded.

Speaking of the girl, she had hid the hickey on her neck hurriedly earlier. As though...As if she were ashamed of it, Gaara realized. He mulled over why that would be. Is she embarrassed? Guilty?

A new thought entered his mind. Perhaps Utsuri Nikko had hidden the kunai marking instead. If that was case...just what had happened after he left them alone?

Gaara growled.

(I can kill him. Let me loose! It's been too long!) Shukaku offered to him. Gaara declined his inner demons desires and took a deep breath.

Nikko stopped hobbling down the hill. Her bright amethyst eyes blinked curiously. "Gaara-san? Did you hear that? It sounded like a dog or something."

"...No."

"Oh. Oh well! Hey, over there's Sakura-san!" Nikko pointed towards the cobblestone road leading into the thriving town. Gaara followed her gaze to see Sakura yelling at several Naruto clones who were busily loading wood up onto a broken rooftop. Across the roof from him was Sasuke, who was repairing a shop sign with paint. He dipped the paint brush into the white and slowly wrote the characters.

At their slow arrival onto the sidewalk leading to the shops, Nikko paused by a door. Gaara glanced at the sign and read Fukashima Tea Shop. The place looked empty. Despite the shops ghost like appearance Nikko opened the door. A bell sounded above her head.

"Utsuri-chan," A voice yelled.

Gaara followed behind the girl and held the door until she was safely inside. He observed that the tea shop was tidy and prim with rows of different tea cups displayed. There was a long counter where one could sit and have tea at their leisure. Beyond that was a sink and cabinets no doubt hiding fine china.

The rest of the shop was a mixture of decorations and tables for two.

Nikko hobbled on into the room. "Shizuka-san! I'm so sorry I didn't show up today!" She bowed her head politely in greeting.

Gaara watched a beautiful yet intimidating older woman appear from behind the counter. Her dark hair was piled up on top of her head and adorned with fancy kunzashi sticks, the tiny charms dangling. From her red painted mouth was a long smoking pipe. She took a intimate drag and blew it out slowly. Her breasts that were only barely contained within the confines of her elegant red kimono heaved with the effort. "Darling, I'm more concerned that you're injured than whether you came to work or not. How are you my little one?" The woman asked.

Nikko smiled. "Much better, thanks."

"I heard what happened. No need to explain," Shizuka replied with a wave of her pipe. She noticed Gaara. The tea master's upturned eyes glanced head to toe at him and left the Jinchuriki feeling rather nude. "Oh~ And who is this? Your newest beau?"

Gaara jolted a bit.

Shizuka titted--no, tittered, before sighing. "If only I were younger. He's rather handsome already. Give him a few years, Utsuri-chan." She winked at the girl. The one tailed holder squirmed.

"Eh?! S-Shizuka-san!" The girl covered her bright red face, "You're misunderstanding! He's not, we're not--"

Nikko's boss turned away and looked at her array of fine china displayed on the shelves. "I'm teasing you little one. Look here, see these cups? Count them."

Gaara silently counted ten cups on their matching saucers. "Ten," Nikko answered.

"Exactly. Not one has been bought today. Business is going south. I need some way to...to advertise!" Shizuka's bosom heaved with her sigh. "With you injured I'm just not sure my shop will ever be the same. What am I to do?"

The Jinchuriki knew instantly that Shizuka was baiting Nikko. Still the girl fell for it, hook line and sinker. "I'll help!" Nikko exclaimed, "Just tell me what to do!"

Shizuka's sharp eyes gleaned mischievously. "I was hoping you'd say that. As you know, the race has been post poned. This is temporary of course. Jirocho-san is a hardy man with sticky hands."

"Sticky..hands?" Nikko repeated dumbly.

"Hmhm, yes Utsuri-chan. He has more ties than most know. I've been told that reinforcements are on their way here from the Hidden Leaf as we speak." Shizuka took another long drag of her pipe and blew the smoke up, "Ara, I've given myself away haven't I?"

Gaara was momentarily confused before it dawned on him. She has information that would be hard to come by unless...unless it was from the source himself. Which means they know one another, the Jinchuriki realized.

Nikko gasped. "S-Shizuka-san! You mean, you and Jirocho-san are--?!"

"Fu fu~ Yes little one. We are...intimately acquainted." Shizuka smirked, "Which is where my advertisement comes into play. After the race there will be the traditional festival. Our little store will have a stall. I'd like for you to man it."

"Me? You really want me to...represent the store?" Nikko asked.

"There's only you who can do this little one. You're my protege and the best apprentice I've ever had." She coughed a little, "also the only one" before smiling.

Nikko bowed clumsily. "You honor me!" Then she must have remembered Gaara. The girl turned and gave him a doe eyed expression. Her dewy purple gaze pleaded with him. "I...I hope I'll be here then," she hinted.

Gaara thought it over. He still hadn't found the ring leader for the hired thugs. Considering that they could have came from Sunagakure it seemed likely that if he were to return with Nikko he'd be attacked on the way. It was in his best interest to stay and try to get information from the towns folk first. Also...Gaara had to have a talk with Nikko. There was much he didn't understand, such as her reasons for being in the Land of Tea in the first place.

The sand shinobi dipped his head slightly. "Very well."

Nikko's entire face lit up brightly. She gave him a toothy grin and bowed repeatedly. "Thank you so much Gaara-san!"

Gaara didn't think what he said was that great but couldn't bear looking at her smile any longer. His body began to tremble slightly. "...I need to check the area. Stay here until I return."

"Oh! Sure thing!"

He hurriedly exited the tea shop and jumped onto the roof to catch his breath. Gaara wasn't sure that was quite the right word to use but couldn't think of a better one and thus discerned Nikko had been exceptionally alluring. Seeing the bright smile she had given to him had set his heart aflutter. He was glad to be away from her. Just to ensure himself he wasn't in fact ill instead, he put a hand to his chest. The pulse pounding beneath his palm was steady and slowing down.

"You got heartburn or somethin?" Naruto asked.

Gaara watched the fox boy land on the roof. He could see that Naruto's shadow clones were still hard at work hauling supplies. Naruto yawned, "Man I'm beat! Sakura-chan is a slave driver...hmm? You okay? Your face is all red 'n stuff."

Naruto put his hand to Gaara's forehead. The one tailed Jinchuriki turned his gaze away. "...I am fine."

"Hmm. If you say so! Jeez, look at him over there. Thinks he's so great just 'cause he knows how to write a little better." Naruto glared over at Sasuke who continued to paint katakana on the shop sign a little below him. "Tch!"

Gaara eyed Sasuke as well, remembering earlier vividly. "...Utsuri Nikko and Sasuke Uchiha..do they know one another?" He asked Naruto.

"Huh? Uhhh, don't think so! Why you ask that?"

"..."

Naruto waited for Gaara to answer but was left unsatisfied. Eventually the fox teen sighed in defeat. "Fine; be all mysterious! You seem kinda tense today. Hey what a minute, where's Nikko-chan?"

"Below us."

"Ohhh I see." Naruto peered over the side of the roof top, "You sure guard her a lot. Heh, I don't blame you!"

"What do you mean?" Gaara asked.

Quickly the fox boy waved his arms, "Nothing! Ah ha ha, don't mind me! I'm not trying to steal her or anything-- so don't give me such a mean look!" He backed up a bit and didn't realize how close to the edge he was. As such, Naruto fell right off with a fading, "Ahh!"

Gaara jumped down to the cobblestone and ordered his sand out to catch the jumper. It was a waste of time however. Naruto clung to the Fukashima Tea Shop sign and slowly slid down it, tearing the bright red fabric into two in the process. A loud rip reverberated through the street. He did a comical spin in the air before landing flat on his face in front of the shop door.

A familiar ding made them both look up. Gaara saw Nikko attempting to come out.

"No! Don't fight!" She shrieked.

In her quick escape her crutches hit a crevice in the cobblestone and sent her flying forward. "Kya!"

Gaara's sand made haste to envelop her and right the mistaken footing. Nikko breathed a sigh of relief and observed the situation; seeing that the two weren't in fact getting ready to duke it out. "Uzamaki-san, are you alright?" She asked before spotting the fabric swaying in the breeze. "The...the sign!"

"Eh he!" Naruto rubbed his neck guiltily. "Sorry about that! I'll fix it lickety split!"

After a conversation that drew the attention of Sakura, Nikko and Gaara were ready to set off to find Idate's knife. Except for one minor detail. They were now a party of four.

"So Nikko-chan," Sakura began, "are you and Morino-san an item?"

Gaara startled a moment. His breathing had paused for just one millisecond. An..item? He pondered. With a quick glance he observed Nikko grow flustered before answering: "Eh? N-No! We're just...very close. He saved me when I came here."

Sakura, Naruto and Gaara quietly pondered those words as they walked through the streets to trace the footsteps that they'd taken last night. As for Gaara, the Jinchuriki didn't feel any particular sort of way. Well...mostly. He did admit to some frustration. It wrapped around his chest like a itchy sweater and left him with more questions than answers.

After all...

Well, the girl had admitted to him that she'd fallen in love with him. And from her passionate kisses Gaara had been swayed by that feeling--that warm, likeable devotion bestowed onto him. To think of that teen Idate taking away the first female that had acknowledged him, treated him as a boy instead of a weapon...

Gaara bit the inside of his jaw.

"Hey! I found something!" Naruto shouted. He pointed excitedly below his blue sandal clad feet. The group went to the fox boys position. Gaara sent his sand to investigate, parting the damp earth to reveal a black shape. Naruto picked it up and held it above his head. "Ah ha! Look! He heh, see this Nikko-chan?"

Nikko beamed a smile at the fox boy. "I'm so glad! Thank you so much Uzamaki-san! And thank you all for helping. That knife means the world to Idate-kun." She took it and wiped it clean with the edge of her kimono before slipping it into the recess of her cleavage. Now that the item had been recovered, Naruto suggested they take a break for ramen. All agreed aside from Sakura who said she needed to finish helping Sasuke with the signs. She hurried on ahead.

The sun was still shining. But a dark and cold feeling washed over the one tailed Jinchuriki; he paused his footing to understand.

(Feel that? Blood! Close, too.) Shukaku whispered. Gaara stilled and felt the wind; there was indeed fresh iron drifting from the south wind, stirred by the dust grains. His intuition told him not to alert the others.

"Hm? Gaara-san, something the matter?" Nikko asked.

"..." He shut his eyes to better perceive. From the direction and amount it had to be someone who'd had a fatal wound. Gaara eyed the Utsuri girl and said, "Go ahead. I'll be there shortly, after I see to something. Uzamaki-san will watch over you."

Naruto saluted Gaara. "Heh! No worries with me here Nikko-chan! C'mon, let's go eat!"

He and Nikko left toward the street leading to the ramen stall. Gaara turned to the forest and it's secrets. With the help of his sand perception he walked under the carpet of trees until spotting the area. Perhaps a mile from the place they'd scouted for the knife lay a corpse. It wasn't mangled as Gaara suspected from the amount of crimson liquid around it.

A female.

With flowing green hair.

 

 

 

5