Chapter 5
114 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Will had been to the base of Nexus hill quite a few times since the Fire Nexus had taken it over. It was always a daunting experience, staring up the steep incline that led to a mystery he could never see. Now here he was, standing at the base of a worn, rickety, metal staircase that wound up the hill. The unknown was right there, he thought. It made him a little giddy just thinking about it. Even if he was denied, as long as he survived and was allowed to leave the hill, he’d still get to experience something that very few people could.

He quickly realized, however, that there wasn’t anything special to Nexus Hill. All of the old university buildings still stood exactly where they had before, including the unfinished Geology building that had been canceled due to lack of funding. Will didn’t know quite what he’d expected, but he certainly hadn’t expected something so…

“Normal,” he said quietly, staring around at the buildings. “It’s all so normal.”

“Of course, it is,” a voice to his right said. Will jumped, then whirled around, looking for the source.

A tall woman was standing a few feet away, leaning against a tree and staring at him with undisguised interest. She was lean from head to toe, dressed in the usual furs of the Fire Nexus. As with her fellow Nexians, she warmed the air around her considerably. Much stronger than the first Nexian he’d met, but not quite as much as Edward’s. It was a close-run thing, though, he thought. She must be the lieutenant, the second-in-command.

“I take it you’re Will Andrews,” she said, her voice casual. “Otherwise, you’re a very brave stranger.”

How the hell had she known he was there? Will gave a short nod, trying not to betray how nervous he was. “Yes, ma’am. Mr. Ambrose told me to be here by five.”

The woman glanced up at the sky. Will did too, wondering what she was looking for. After a second or two, he looked back down. She was beckoning him closer. “Well, we’ve got about ten minutes. Come on, then.”

She took off without waiting to see if he was following. After a moment’s hesitation, he complied. The woman stared straight ahead as he followed her, moving with a distinct purpose. Of course, this was her home, he thought. She didn’t have to think about where she was going. She led him up several flights of stairs towards the center of the campus, where the old college mess hall used to be. She actually led him into the same building, at the very crest of the hill. As Will stepped through the door, he registered the incredible warmth that could only mean one thing.

More than a dozen people were inside, seated in the recreational area, lounging on soft chairs and couches. Two people were playing a game of cards, another three playing a video game, and another was reading a book. The others were either dozing or meditating, Will couldn’t be sure. But they all glanced around as the doors opened, and looked from the woman to Will. He hesitated just a moment. Fourteen people who could kill him with ease, and he was walking into their midst like he was trying out for the football team.

“Edward!” The woman called out, her voice just loud enough to make Will jump. “He’s here!”

For several seconds there was nothing but silence as the people in the main area stared silently at Will. He tried to gauge their opinion of him but failed miserably. It was as if they all wore masks of disinterest, and merely studied his every move with faint curiosity. He was saved having to think of something to say, however, when a movement at the top of the stairs leading to the cafeteria of the building caught his eye. Edward was standing there, looking down at Will with what might have been faint surprise.

Charlisa was behind him, dressed in a simple pair of jeans and a white sleeveless shirt. The shirt showed off her slim olive skin in a very flattering way that he enjoyed, but he didn’t have time to ponder how good she looked even in normal clothing. There was a third figure behind both of them, his head hung so low that he wasn’t immediately recognizable. But when they reached the bottom of the stairs, Will realized who it was, and took a hesitant step back. This seemed to amuse the others who were watching.

“I believe you have met Richard before,” Edward said. His hand shot out and grabbed Richard’s neck, and he shoved him forward. “Well then? What do you have to say to Will?”

Richard, who was still wearing his fur coat and cloak despite being indoors, sheepishly glanced back at his Alpha, as if pleading for a reprieve. But there was no sign of mercy in Edward’s eyes, so he turned back to face Will. There was none of his previous cockiness or fire to be seen. He looked meek and frightened. Will knew this wasn’t for his benefit. What had Edward done to him for punishment? He hoped it wasn’t too severe. After all, nobody had been injured, apart from a slight burn on his arm.

“Will,” Richard began, his voice a bit shaky. It, like his body language, had shrunken considerably. He spoke softly, almost whispered. “I am very sorry for attacking you the other day at Fred Meyer. It was inappropriate of me to flaunt my power, and even more so to attack you. I beg your forgiveness.”

Will glanced up at Edward, a little flummoxed. What did Edward care about how others viewed his Nexus? He was exempt from all other laws regarding peace and violence, as were those under him. So then, he wondered, why did he feel it necessary to enforce this level of respect for outsiders? Another native was one thing. But he was white, and even in non-Nexus native culture, that made him… different. Not worthy of that level of respect. But Edward gave nothing of his intentions away as he met Will’s eyes, only offering a single solemn nod. Will took a deep breath and decided to just react the way he’d normally do.

“There’s no hard feelings,” he said to Richard, trying to keep his voice light. He stuck out one hand. “I made the first mistake, getting into your business.”

Richard looked up with a hopeful expression on his face as if he didn’t dare believe his ears. Then, as he saw the honest smile on Will’s face, a matching smile spread across his face. It wasn’t a gracious expression, though. Will could tell at once that his previous bravado was returning in force as his “prey” naively offered to put the incident behind them. Will knew at once that, if they shook on it, Richard would just attack him again if they ever met again.

Will withdrew his hand as Richard reached for it. For some reason, his anger had flared up. He wasn’t normally an angry person, but he felt it was a justified reaction in this case. “On second thought, no. I do have hard feelings. You could have killed me, you do realize that?”

That sent a wave of mutters through the group of Nexians lounging in the recreation area. Even the woman who had led him there let out a low whistle. Richard took a step back at his words, his face torn between shock and mounting indignation. But behind him, Edward and Charlisa were both smiling. Edward let out a bark of laughter, and even Charlisa chuckled. Will blinked, confused.

“I told Dad you wouldn’t let it slide that easily,” Charlisa said. “You’re too much of an Alaskan to accept a weak apology like that.”

“You knew I wouldn’t accept his apology?” Will asked her, taking half a step back. Had he just taken a step too far? “You knew I’d get angry?”

“Of course,” It was Edward who replied that time, his grin widening. “But this was the first part of your test.”

“My test?”

“The first part,” Edward repeated. “I had to make sure you had a spine there, even in front of someone who could legally and physically kill you.”

“Oh,” it was all Will could think to say. “Okay then.”

“The second part,” Edward continued, “is one that I think you will enjoy. At least, if I haven’t judged you wrong.”

 

——————————

 

“Here we are.”

Edward had led Will, Charlisa, Richard, and a few other Nexians who were interested outside the building, down one of the many paths that stretched across the old campus, and into another building. There was a lot of dust here, suggesting that it hadn’t been used since the Fire Nexus had taken over the hill. Apart from an open area with a disused ticket booth, the building contained one large open room and a basketball court. Four of the Nexians, at Edward’s command, walked to the four corners of the court and created large pillars of fire with their hands so that the entire scene was illuminated in dim lighting.

“Right,” Edward said. “Richard, Will, to the center.”

Will complied, more than a little confused. Was Edward planning what he thought he was planning? Richard had removed his bulky furs, further cementing Will’s suspicion. He glanced at Edward. “You want me to fight him?”

“You’re a sharp one,” the woman who had led him up the hill said. “But don’t worry, Richard will not be using his powers.”

“Noratuk is right,” Edward said. “It wouldn’t be a fair contest otherwise. You will fight unarmed, and like normal people.”

“Oh,” Will said again. He glanced at Richard, who seemed confident. Maybe this would be a fair challenge. “Alright then.”

He removed the thin jacket he’d been wearing and handed it to Charlisa, who reached out for it. She put it on, letting it drape to her knees. Will glanced curiously at her but got nothing in return, so he dropped down into a low crouch, stretching his legs. He was smart enough to never go into a fight without stretching. After he’d injured himself in his first tournament, he’d learned the lesson and heeded it ever since. Richard, he noted, made no effort to do so. Maybe he’d already stretched.

“Let’s get on with it, then,” Richard said. Edward nodded his agreement, and Will moved back to stand facing him.

“Go!” Edward barked. The command came as a surprise to Will, who was used to some buildup before the match started. Richard didn’t wait, however, and immediately threw a punch. Will ducked it easily, frowning. That had to have been the least graceful punch he’d ever seen, and he’d fought drunk people before. Richard advanced, swinging again. He tried to do a combo ending in an uppercut, but none of them managed to connect.

Will jumped back a step or two and spared half a glance at Edward. The man was staring at him intently. “Take it seriously.”

There was more danger in that one sentence than any of their interactions so far. Will gulped and ducked another punch. He couldn’t justify beating Richard so easily, not when he was so hopelessly outnumbered by his allies. But then Edward took a step forward, his face set in an angry frown, and he knew he had no choice. When Richard came back for another punch, Will leaned to the side. Then, before his opponent could recover, Will shot one hand out and grabbed his wrist. Richard tried to pull free, but the grip was too strong.

In less time than it took to describe, Will wrenched Richard forward, pulling his arm and twisting it back. Richard tripped over his outstretched leg and slammed, hard, into the unpadded floor. Will quickly put one knee on his back and tightened the arm hold until Richard gave out a reluctant uncomfortable cry of pain. He went limp in an attempt to ease the pain in his shoulder, and Will quickly let him go, stepping back.

“What in the hell?” Noratuk’s jaw had dropped. She looked so comical that Will had to resist the urge to laugh. Then the urge faded as he realized how violent that one movement had been. He glanced fearfully up at Edward, only to see the same expression of shock on his face. The only one in the gym who didn’t look the least bit surprised was Charlisa herself. She had a small, satisfied sort of smile on her face as if she’d expected nothing less of the proceedings.

“Err,” Will said into the expectant silence. “So… Does that settle it, then?”

 

10