Chapter 20
64 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Will!” His father exclaimed, giving a little start of surprise as he saw Will standing on the doorstep. He recovered quickly, however, and threw his arms around his son. “Welcome home! How are you! And who is this?”

He leaned to the side to see Charlisa and James standing behind him. Will had expected to spend the day hanging out with Charlisa, of course, but not James. The tall wiry native man had given no explanation other than ‘nothing better to do’, then accompanied the pair to meet his father. Now he stepped forward, displaying a sense of manners and charisma that seemed totally foreign to Will and Charlisa.

“James Morris,” he said, reaching one hand out. He and Will’s dad shook hands enthusiastically. “Just bored and following your son around, sir. Pleasure to meet you.”

“The pleasure’s all mine!” Cameron said, full of excitable energy at his son’s surprise visit. He broke off the handshake and offered Charlisa a hug, which she accepted enthusiastically. “Hello again, Charlisa! Keeping my son out of trouble, are you?”

Will flushed, but Charlisa merely flashed her teeth at his dad. “I’m doing my best, Mr. Andrews. He doesn’t make it easy.”

Will’s father let out a deep laugh at that. “Too true! I thought I told you to call me Cameron. Well, come in, come in! I’ll pull out some drinks.”

Will stood aside to let Charlisa and James enter first, then brought up the rear. The three of them took their shoes off, then stood in an awkward little huddle by the front door, looking around. Will knew how the other two felt. It was strange, being back in a normal house after a month of living with the Nexus. Even given the fact that he used to live here, Will couldn’t help but feel a little out of place. The sensation of new territory had to be even worse for them.

Cameron called out from the kitchen. “I have lemonade, cold tea, and fruit punch. Any preferences?”

“Get the lemonade!” Will called back. He added to the others in a lower voice, “Trust me, it’s good. About the only thing he knows how to make without instructions.”

James chuckled quietly at that. Will turned to him. “Tell me the truth. Why are you here?”

“Oh, isn’t it obvious?” Charlisa asked, hitting him lightly on the shoulder. “He’s here as your guard, dummy.”

“My guard?” Will blinked. “Hang on, why do I need to be guarded?”

“It’s not just you,” She said. Now she sounded a little impatient. “Richard is being guarded too. People like picking off the new members, so you have to be watched. Richard’s cousin and older brother are watching over him while they’re at the mall. You got James.”

“More like I drew the short straw,” James grumbled. His tone was annoyed, but when Will looked up at him, he was grinning from ear to ear. “Just kidding. Total honor, I swear.”

Will rolled his eyes at James, then turned back around as his father appeared, carrying a tray with four glasses of ice-cold lemonade. He stopped as he realized that the three of them hadn’t moved. “What are you standing there for? Come on, sit on the couch!”

“Now then,” Cameron said, letting out a satisfied sigh as he flopped into his recliner. “What brings you three by? Got bored up on that hill?”

“More or less,” James said, grinning as he stretched out luxuriously on the couch. “You seem to be in a good mood, Mr. Andrews.”

“Well of course I am,” Cameron said with a chuckle. “My son’s back for a visit, and I got a date tonight. Why shouldn’t I be in a good mood?”

Will almost choked on his lemonade. He emerged, spluttering slightly. “You have a date tonight?”

Charlisa patted him idly on the back. “Who is it you’re seeing?”

“A lovely woman named Rebecca,” Will’s dad said, smiling. “First time I’ve met someone so fascinating. Haven’t been on a date since…”

His voice trailed off, and his smile faded slightly. For just a second, the mask of cheerful energy faded, and Will saw the nerves. His dad was nervous, not just about the date, but about what it meant for his love life. The only woman he’d ever loved had been his late wife, and he’d sworn that he’d never find another partner after she’d died. Will understood his predicament, and suddenly it didn’t matter who this mysterious woman was. He leaned forward to pat his dad’s hand.

“Well done, Dad,” he said. Then, because he couldn’t help it, he added jokingly, “So, did she lose a bet or something, then?

Cameron turned two raised eyebrows on his son. “And you’re the expert on romance, are you? Took you  eighteen years to get a girlfriend.”

“Quality over quantity, dad,” Will said. He felt Charlisa hit him on the shoulder again, not so softly this time. “Ow. No offense.”

James let out a loud laugh, joined by his father. Will grinned at Charlisa, who couldn’t keep her straight face. Kissing Will lightly on the cheek, she turned to his father. “When’s your date, Cameron?”

He glanced at the clock next to the TV. “In about an hour. She’s coming to pick me up.”

Now it was Will’s turn to raise his eyebrows. “Fancy.”

Cameron drained the rest of his lemonade. “Don’t you forget it? She’s from Florida, you know. Comes up here on business trips every week.”

“Does she like Alaska?” Will asked, curious about this strange woman. “Or is she like most lesser-forty-eighters?”

His dad laughed at the traditional nickname for those born in America outside the state of Alaska. “She likes the clean air, but she hates the cold.”

“Then she’ll love summer,” Charlisa put in. “Once the smog goes away, it’s gorgeous around this area.”

“That’s true,” Cameron agreed, lifting his glass in her direction. “But she’s got a vacation this summer, and I’m thinking of taking her camping on Denali.”

James sat up a little straighter as he registered the name. Judging by the surprise on his face, he hadn’t expected to hear a non-native refer to the mountain by its old name. Will watched him out of the corner of his eyes, grinning. “Told you we’re different.”

James ignored this. “Are you going near the rivers?”

“Thought I’d show her the Russian River,” Cameron nodded. “If we go upstream, there’ll be less combat fishing.”

Cameron’s phone went off, and he gave a little start. “Oh! Sorry, I gotta take this. Work-related.”

He hurried out of the room, leaving the three of them in awkward silence. Will was frowning to himself. “Why would someone from Florida have business up here? Forget that, why would they take the time to meet someone who lived so far away?”

James sniggered. “You’re so distrustful, Will. Maybe she just thought your dad was handsome.”

“It could have just been a chance meeting,” Charlisa said reasonably. She ran one hand through Will’s hair, which calmed him down a bit. “Give her a chance. She doesn’t sound that bad.”

“Except that she’s from Florida,” James said darkly. “That’s where she’s from, after all.”

“She?” Will asked, distracted from his own thoughts by the suddenly angry expression on his friend’s face. “Oh, you mean Rachel and the Water Nexus. You guys must really hate each other.”

“Well, we did go to war with each other,” James said, his face darkening even further. “I joined right at the end, you know.”

Will nodded. Charlisa had told him as much. James had actually taken part in the last bit of fighting before the Soul Nexus appeared, and put an end to the war. He’d never thought to ask what that had been like. It had seemed too sensitive a topic to discuss at the time. But he didn’t have much longer to think on it in any event, as his father chose that time to reappear. He looked put upon, and perhaps a little tired.

“Sorry, kids,” he said, trying to hoist a carefree smile onto his face. “I’ve gotta cut the visit short. Boss needs me to fix something at the store before my date.”

“Damn,” Will said, getting to his feet. “Well, alright then. Good luck on your date.”

“Thanks,” his dad said, pulling him into a firm hug. “I’m glad to see you, son. Come by again soon.”

“Will do,” Will said as they separated and Cameron gave Charlisa another hug. “Good luck with the work emergency too.”

Cameron nodded and shook James’ hand. “Nice to meet you, son. Hope you guys enjoy your day on the town.”

After that, they were hurried out the door, and Cameron got into his car. With one final wave, he drove off down the street towards downtown. Will turned to the other two. “Well, what are we going to do now?”

“I don’t care either way,” James said. “Can we stop somewhere to eat though?”

“Sure,” Will said. “I know, let’s go downtown, by the river. We can get food and hopefully some fresh air.”

“The air here is plenty fresh,” James put in.

“But it’s not clean,” Will countered. “At least there’ll be some breeze by the river, and it won’t stink as bad.”

James shrugged to show his indifference. “Alright then. I’ll call us a cab.”

“Don’t,” Will said. When the other two looked at him in confusion, he pointed down the street. “Let’s just walk it. It’s only a mile, and it’s a nice day out.”

They clearly didn’t think much of that, but they agreed. Will thought they might dislike being out in the open, but Will didn’t share their fear. What did three people who had the ability to create fire with their bare hands have to fear? He gave James a reassuring pat on the back, then took the lead, walking towards Airport Way. “We can just take Cushman down to the river.”

 

As he’d hoped, the breeze began to pick up as they got close to the river. It was a pleasant feeling, Will thought, how the wind made everything around him cooler. It slipped in under his clothing, cooling his skin, and even tousled his hair. Every car that passed them on the road was full of gawking people, but he paid them no mind. He didn’t mind the staring folk too much today, so distracted by the pleasant weather. It was nice not to have to deal with the heat alone anymore.

“Isn’t it a bit colder than it should be?” James asked once they’d turned off Airport way and onto Cushman. He was rubbing his arms. “It’s supposed to be seventy degrees out.”

Will looked at him in some concern. “Don’t tell me you’re uncomfortable with a little breeze. Shouldn’t you be used to much colder, being from Bethel?”

James shrugged uncomfortably. But he wasn’t the only one who seemed uneasy. Charlisa was also rubbing her arms, scowling in apparent discomfort. Will paused, turning to face them. “I feel fine. How are you guys cold?”

But before they could answer, something pinged in the back of his head, and he turned around, staring down one of the side streets. What had that been? Something had caught his attention, but he wasn’t sure what. Maybe it was light reflected from the nearby river, he thought. Or the sun glinting off a car that had passed out of sight before he registered it. All he could hear was traffic on the nearby road, and the water rushing along the river banks. He turned back to the others.

“I thought you were resistant to cold,” he said. “You can handle the tundra just fine, but not this?”

“Something’s different today,” James said. “I can’t quite put my thumb on it.”

Will strained his ears again. Somehow, he felt as though he was being watched. But no, he couldn’t see anything. Maybe he’d just gotten used to being so far from the river, he thought. It was bound to be unusual after such a long time away. But then he stopped, so suddenly that Charlisa ran into him. Why could he hear the river? It was still almost a quarter of a mile away. Definitely too far for him to hear it over the traffic passing right by them. He flung out an arm to stop the others, though there was no need. He’d finally seen someone, staring unmistakably at the three of them with hostility, appearing out from around a building.

“Oh, fuck.” That came from James. Will turned around to see him looking angry, flames leaping to life in his hands.

“What is it?” Will asked. But before James could answer him, something hit him in the small of his back. It was hard enough to knock him into the street, right into oncoming traffic. Cars swerved madly to avoid him, and more than a few honks of anger and panic rang out around him. He heard Charlisa and James yell in shock, and quickly flipped to his feet. His furs were soaked. What? But they weren’t near any water! But as he looked up, seeing the five figures rushing towards them, he understood.

Five people, dressed in average, everyday kinds of clothing were running straight at them. They looked like normal people, except for one tiny detail. Each of them had their hands out to the sides, suspending an alarming amount of water in the air between them. And just as he took this fact in, getting back to the safety of the sidewalk, one of them threw his hands forward, sending a massive wave of water at the three Fire Nexians.

 

4