Chapter 39
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Will’s eyes slid open to reveal a soft, warm light. He was in a bed, he realized. For a few seconds, his brain moved sluggishly, trying to piece together the pace of the events that had led him here. Then it all came crashing back at once, and he shot up in the bed. This sudden movement caused a shout of surprise, and he whirled in place, hands raised to strike. Belatedly, fire leaped into life on his fists, and the person who’d been sitting by his bed raised their hands in alarm.

“Woah!” He exclaimed. “It’s me, son!”

Will blinked in surprise. “Dad?”

It was indeed Cameron Andrews, wearing a thin jacket and jeans. He was exceptionally pale in the dim lighting of the room, his face drawn and worried, though a flush of relief was showing through. Clutching his chest in surprise, his father lowered himself back into the seat he’d occupied. “Yes, son. How are you feeling?”

“Like I got hit with a fist made of stone,” Will said, rubbing his forehead. He expected to find a bandage, but of course, there was no sign of the injury. “I suppose the Soul Nexus healed me up. How did you get to Japan, Dad?”

“I, uh,” His father began, looking a bit more worried. Maybe his son had suffered mental damage from his fight. “I didn’t. We’re home, son. Not just back in Fairbanks. We’re literally home.”

It was only then that Will recognized his surroundings. Most of the decorations had been taken with him to Nexus Hill, of course, but he still knew the sight of his dresser and its standing mirror. He was in his old room. That raised just as many questions as it answered for him, though. If the Fire Nexus had gone back to Alaska, why hadn’t he woken up on Nexus Hill? He looked around the room again, as if hoping for some of the missing information to be lying around.

“Where are the others?” He asked, a cold hand clutching at his heart. The image of Edward falling came to mind, as well as the memory of Charlisa’s grief. That wasn’t a sound he wanted to hear again. “Where is Edward?”

“He’s fine, son,” Cameron said. “Some fellow named Hidori tended to him. Charlisa is keeping me up to date on his condition.”

“Condition,” Will repeated the single word. What had the stranger said about it? There were things about their Condition they had yet to learn. “So he’s alright.”

“Well, by the sounds of it, he got banged up pretty bad,” Cameron explained. “But of course, you’d know. You took part in that fight, didn’t you?”

“Yes,” Will said. He expected to be angry, or even afraid. But he couldn’t seem to muster any emotional response whatsoever. “We lost.”

His dad didn’t say anything for a while after that. They sat together, both silent, Will staring off into space and his father watching him intently. There didn’t seem to be anything to say. Nothing could have as much impact on the moment as those two solemn words. Again, Will expected the wave of frustration to crash over him. He only felt… nothing.

“I remember the last time you were like this,” His father said suddenly, breaking the silence. “Can’t say I’m any less worried than I was then.”

“You mean beaten?” Will said, letting out a dull laugh. There was no trace of amusement in the sound. “That happened more than I’d like to remember.”

He didn’t like losing. He liked winning. Of course, this was true for everyone, but for him, it was an addiction. He enjoyed a challenge and more importantly proving greater than that challenge. But his dad shook his head. To Will’s surprise, the man was wearing a smile. “No, Will. It’s not the losing I’m talking about. You never noticed?”

Will looked at him silently, not sure what his father meant, so he continued. “Every time you lost a match, you’d come back home all quiet like this. At first, I thought you were frustrated.”

“I should be.”

“But you never are,” Cameron said, pointing emphatically at him. “Instead, you’re quiet, focused, and determined. You redoubled your training efforts, and the next time you fought the same opponent, you won.”

Will frowned thoughtfully. His dad made it sound like he’d been possessed, caring only for victory. But of course, that was the truth. Each time he failed at something, he just took that as a hint to train harder and harder. But that had been in martial arts, mostly. Whenever he lost a Kendo match, it was because of something that he could have done better. In this case, his opponent had just been too strong for him. There wasn’t a decision he’d made wrong. If the Stranger could take down two Alphas in as many minutes, what hope did Will have?

“You have that look again,” his father said, his voice quiet. “I just know that you’re not going to give up on this.”

“I’m not going to get a chance like that again,” Will pointed out. “I was beaten so bad. If he could beat Kevin and Edward, he’s too strong for me.”

“Yet you’ll still try,” Cameron replied. “And that’s why I’m worried.”

Will looked at his father again, taking in the nervous expression, the bags under the eyes, and the puffy eyes indicative of recent tears. He understood what his father meant then. He knew his son well, better than anyone else. He didn’t have to say it out loud, because they both knew what Will was thinking at that moment. As much as he didn’t want to ask it, Will had to know.

“Why am I here and not at Nexus Hill?”

Again, his father took a long time to answer. Will was convinced that he’d insisted on having his son brought home. He remembered all too clearly that scene where he’d threatened Edward. If the situation had turned out any worse if Will had died, would his father go after Edward? He probably wouldn’t make it, Will thought. But he’d definitely try.

“Edward insisted on it,” Cameron finally said. When Will looked surprised, a small smile touched his lips. “I know what you’re thinking. I wanted you safe, but I also knew that you wouldn’t be done.”

“So why did he send me here?” Will asked. He felt that tightness in his chest again. “Don’t tell me he kicked me out because I failed!”

“No!” His father said quickly, raising his hands again. “It’s not like that!”

“Oh. Then why?”

“He said he wanted you to take the time to think,” His father explained. “He thought that, after seeing him fail to protect you, you wouldn’t want to fight beside him anymore.”

“That’s ridiculous!” Will exploded. “He’s not weak!”

“I told him you’d feel that way,” Cameron said, his smile returning. It looked as though he’d already made up his mind. “But I let him bring you back here. He says that if you still want to live with the Nexus, you can return to the campus.” 

Will pulled the covers off his legs and swung them so that his feet touched the floor. His father opened his mouth to warn him, but Will moved too quickly. He stood up, then leaned forward and hugged his father. He felt his arms go around him in return, and his father patted him on the back in a reassuring way. “Thanks for believing in me, Dad.”

“I always will.”

Will stood again, feeling a little uneasy as all the blood in his body returned to its normal locations. It felt as though he hadn’t used his legs in weeks. “How long was I out?”

“You just got back from Japan last night,” Cameron replied, also standing. He looked a little stiff. Will was prepared to bet that he’d spent nearly every moment in the uncomfortable chair, watching over his son and waiting for him to wake. “I had to turn off the AC in the entire building, with how much heat you put out.”

“Oh, sorry,” Will said, feeling a pang of guilt. “I’ll fix that.”

He drew his heat field in until it barely extended past his skin, and felt his father take a deep breath, clearly relieved. “Right. How about we have some lunch? You must be starving after all that.”

“I am,” Will said, just then realizing how hungry he was. “Sounds good. I’ll cook.”

He was already at the door, eager to get started, when his father interrupted, “Oh, you don’t have to. Rebecca said she’d cook. She might even be done by now.”

“Rebecca?” Will asked. For a moment, he forgot the brief mention of his father’s new girlfriend. Then it all came back in a rush. “Oh right. Wait, she’s here?”

Cameron nodded, an affectionate look coming over his face. “She said she wanted to come and help out while you were injured. I know it’s a little sudden, but she says she wants to see you.”

“Oh,” Will said again. Then he checked himself for signs of scruffiness. The last thing he wanted to do was embarrass his father. “Do I look okay?”

His father let out a laugh and clapped him on the shoulder. “You’re fine, son. She’s not some stuck-up lady. She’s very casual.”

Will rolled his eyes at that, then opened the door. At once, the smell of cooking food flowed into the apartment, rousing him from the strange stupor that had claimed him. He walked swiftly to the stairs, sticking to the sides of each step, his feet avoiding the creaky spots out of habit. His father, of course, took no such care, and the sound of his descent covered Will’s. A voice rang out from the kitchen.

“How’s your son, Cameron?”

Will stopped dead in his tracks at the voice, nearly causing his father to run into him. Something was wrong, he thought. Where had he heard that voice before? He was sure it was familiar. Then, suddenly, it clicked. He took off again, now practically sprinting down the steps. Even as he rounded the corner and saw her in front of the stove, he still hoped he’d misheard, and that it had just been a strange coincidence. But there was no mistaking that sheet of silvery-white hair, a stark contrast to the tanned skin.

“Is everything alright?” Rachel asked, turning around with an expectant smile, one hand holding a pan. Then she let out a short gasp of surprise, and nearly dropped the pan. “Will?”

“What are you doing here?” He asked loudly, pausing in the doorway to the kitchen.

“Wait,” his dad said, a little breathless from his run down the stairs after his son. “You know Rebecca?”

“Her name’s Rachel, Dad,” Will said at once. He saw the flash of concern that appeared, then disappeared on Rachel’s face. She clearly hadn’t planned on her real identity getting out. “Rachel Smith. Alpha of the Water Nexus.”

It was hard to tell just then who was more surprised. Cameron Andrews certainly had a strong case for first place, but it was so closely matched by Rachel Smith. The most powerful woman in the world was standing in the kitchen of the Andrews household, holding a pan containing a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, not seeming to realize that it was starting to burn. And Will, though suspicious, was still thrown by the confirmation of his theory.

“You’re a Nexian?” His dad finally blurted out. “Not only that, you’re an Alpha?”

Rachel let out a sigh, and slid the slightly burnt sandwich out of the pan, plopping it onto a plate. “Yes, Cameron. I’m so sorry for not telling you.”

“But,” Cameron seemed to be at a loss for words. “How did I not… Why would you…”

Just then, the front door of the house opened. Will turned as if in slow motion, seeing the newcomers. Their arms were burdened with several shopping bags and their faces were obscured by thick hoods, but again, there was no mistaking them. It was Rachel’s children, Felix and Olivia. They both were laughing at something, though they stopped as they saw the scene inside. Olivia in particular let out a surprised gasp at spotting Will out of nowhere and dropped a bag. The sound of smashing eggs permeated the silence until finally, Rachel spoke.

“Guess there’s no need for our children to meet each other.”

 

1