Chapter 51
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Tobias?”

He said it so softly that he was quite sure nothing would happen. He practically whispered it and knew that even someone standing five feet away from him was likely to miss the words. But, no sooner had he finished speaking the name than he felt the presence behind him. He knew that Tobias had appeared behind him even before he turned to face the man.

Tobias wore a mask of calm expectation, but Will could sense the grief that lay under it. It was identical to his own grief and horror but on a far greater scale. They met each other’s gaze for several long seconds, sure that they both understood the purpose of this meeting perfectly. Will was still a little stunned by the sudden appearance and tried to organize his thoughts quickly, to plan out the questions he needed to ask. But, as so often before, Tobias took the initiative from him.

“So you have stumbled upon my true purpose,” he said. The grief he held back appeared for a flicker of space, there and gone before Will could even be sure he’d seen it. “You know now.”

Will nodded mutely. Suddenly, he found he couldn’t speak. He forced his mouth open, croaking out one word. “Why?”

“Why did I give the power of the Nexus? Why did I allow this carnage? Why do I care to stop another tragedy like this from happening again? Why did I pick you to be my Champion, to aid me in stopping the horrors to come?”

Will still couldn’t speak, so he merely nodded again. All of them were questions that had occurred to him in the last few minutes since he made his discovery. Tobias offered him a small, sad smile. “Many of these I cannot explain to you. But as for the last, I have already told you. You are my greatest hope.”

Finally, Will did manage to speak. “But the vision you’ve shared with me. Is there no way to avoid it?”

“There are many ways,” Tobias replied, folding his hands behind his back. The corners of his wide mouth were turned down in a thoughtful frown. “If you wanted to, it would be all too easy to avoid the scene you saw. You could change the trajectory of your life now, and refuse my request  to save the world.”

Will took a step back in horror. “Are you saying that I have to choose between Edward and the world?”

Tobias neither agreed nor disagreed with the sentiment. After several seconds of waiting for a reply, Will was forced to speak again. “I’ll tell you right now. I will not choose between the two. If I have to, I’ll even sacrifice myself to make sure both survive.”

“It is not possible,” Tobias said. His voice was polite but firm. “You cannot have both choices. Not if you wish to achieve your goal.”

“You mean your goal,” Will said, a small growl entering his tone.

“Our goals are the same, young Will.”

“That’s your opinion,” Will spat, turning to face the window. Just a moment, he wanted to see the dead land around them, to remind himself why it mattered. He could hear Tobias step closer, also viewing the grey scene. “What was it like? You were there?”

“I was,” Tobias said. “I was very weak, after giving power to four people. I couldn’t muster the energy needed to combat them. And I paid the price.”

“Why did you create the Soul Nexus?”

“To end the war, and save the world.”

“Did you know that Hitori would commit so many murders? Or that he would become so corrupt?”

“Hitori is not the man you think him to be, young Will,” Tobias said. “He has done evil things, yes. But each one has either been done in self-defense or defense of the world. Your blame should lie with the figures around him. In particular, one.”

“Togai.”

“Yes. Kido Togai has been getting stronger, young Will. He will make his move before long. We are nearing the advent.”

“Advent?” Will asked, frowning at the unfamiliar word. He turned to face Tobias again. “What does that-”

He blinked, surprised. Tobias was gone. Even the faint feeling of his presence had vanished. Will blinked again, wondering if he’d been there, to begin with. The conversation he’d just taken part in had a vaguely dream-like quality to it. Yet some part of him knew that it had happened. He’d just spoken with the closest thing to a god-like being he’d ever heard of. And like any other god he’d heard of, the encounter had left him more confused than before.

He gave a small jump as the door opened again, revealing Charlisa. She looked just the same as when she’d left. Will gathered that meant that Edward was alright, or at least at a level that he wasn’t near crisis as Rachel had been. She smiled warmly at him, but the expression faded quickly at the look on his face. “Will? Are you alright?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” he lied, turning back to the outside window. It both gave him a viable excuse to seem morose, and also afforded him a chance to rearrange his features. When he turned to face her again, he was much calmer. “How’s your dad?”

“He’s fine,” Charlisa replied, looking relieved. She crossed over to him and put her arms around his neck, pulling him down for a kiss. “I’m glad you’re not an Alpha, Will. I’d hate to see someone else I love bear that kind of responsibility.”

The words sparked a thought in his head. What if that was the power that Tobias had given him? With the amount of pain he’d just gone through, he had to think that it was possible, right? He shook the fanciful notion away. It couldn’t be. Edward had been an Alpha from the start. It wasn’t feasible that someone could grow to become an Alpha. He grinned at his ambition and returned Charlisa’s kiss with enthusiasm.

“I don’t think I could handle it,” he agreed. “I’m a much better follower than I am a leader.”

“True,” she replied. “You’re very good at following orders.”

Will’s grin broadened. “Sounds like you enjoy that. What orders could you give me?”

Her eyes narrowed in the challenge, and her smile immediately took on a more deviant feel. “Oh, I could make you do any manner of things, dear. Don’t test me.”

He held up his hands in mock surrender, chuckling. “Please, anything but that, Mistress.”

She let out a snort, then shoved him back into his chair. He fell willingly and wrapped his arms around her as she plopped down on his lap. “Maybe I want to be the one in charge. I could keep you here, and never let go.”

“Now that sounds like a good plan,” she giggled, kissing him. “We’ll see if you can handle me long-term. I’m pretty stubborn.”

“Stubborn is hot,” Will stated firmly. “I love stubborn.”

“Stubborn loves you too.”

 

-

 

It was almost dark when they noticed the first change in scenery. It was so gradual that it hardly made a difference, but Will, staring aimlessly out the window, caught it. Well, his mind caught it, but it took him several more seconds to understand what had changed. Then he had it and stood abruptly. Charlisa, reading her book in the seat next to him, looked up curiously to see what he was up to.

“What’s up?” She asked. “See something?”

“Yeah,” Will said slowly as if he weren’t sure of it himself. “Grass.”

“What?” She snapped the book closed and hurried over to join him. “You’re kidding, right?”

Will shook his head mutely, unable to describe the feeling in his chest. It was a strange mixture of hope and excitement, tinged with a feeling of seeing something alien. As depressing as it was, he’d gotten accustomed to seeing a grey wasteland around him by now, so this shock of color registered oddly on his senses. At first, it was just a few clumps of grass here and there, but as they continued, it gradually grew more frequent, until the grey fields were gone completely, and the train was driving through a huge, gentle meadow.

“We can’t have already made it through the dead zone,” he said, his voice barely above a whisper. “Can we? I thought it was most of the midwest.”

“It is,” Charlisa confirmed. Her wide eyes and short breaths matched exactly how he felt. “I think?”

Just then, the intercom crackled to life, and the conductor’s voice echoed throughout the train. “Attention all passengers. We are now through the western half of the dead zone. Welcome to New Toledo.”

Will gaped and quickly opened the window, sticking his head out to see better. Just then, the train was making a gradual turn to the left, and before his eyes, he could see a city. Not a small collection of buildings, evidence of a small settlement that had started to appear. It was a fully-fledged city, a bright spot of life and color that stood out against the grey sky like a beacon. His eyes connected with James, who had opened his window a little further ahead. They were both grinning widely. The sight of civilization after hours and hours of dead land was exhilarating.

Will staggered a little as the train made another turn, now aiming directly for the city itself, which was coming closer. In mere minutes, they would pass the threshold, and the train was beginning to slow. The conductor’s voice came over the intercom once more, telling them to be ready to disembark soon. The view outside the window was covered by a tunnel, and the only thing he could see was the tunnel lamps that flashed by at regular intervals.

“Did you know that they’d rebuilt a city here?” Will asked Charlisa. She shook her head, moving to gather her things and pack them up. He did as well. “I don’t know how Hitori managed to keep this a secret.”

“I don’t think he could,” She replied, stuffing her book into her rucksack and standing up. “I think that we’re the only Nexus who didn’t know.”

Now that Will thought about it, he remembered Rachel talking about restoring a river during their trip to Florida. He’d seen the river that crossed through the city, nearly too straight to be natural. “We’ve been isolated.”

“Can’t be avoided,” Charlisa put in, hoisting her rucksack. She looked a little pale suddenly. One hand to her mouth, she gripped the armrest of her chair as the rain finally slowed to a stop. Will moved forward, concerned, but she waved him off. “I’m fine.”

“If you’re sure,” he said ineffectually. “But what do you mean it couldn’t be avoided?”

“Well, of all the Nexuses, we’re pretty far away,” she explained. “Not only that, we’re seen as the most violent.”

“Oh,” he said, feeling a little foolish. “Right. I forget that sometimes.”

Their compartment door opened, and James poked his head inside, still grinning broadly. “Come on lovebirds. You’re going to love this.”

They followed him out of the compartment and down the train to the exit. The rest of the Fire Nexus, save for Edward and Noratuk, were taking their time gathering their things, and only just appearing in the corridor as the doors to the train opened with a hiss, revealing the interior of the station. It was a magnificent building, with clear glass ceilings that stretched high above them, letting in a flood of bright sunlight. Will blinked several times, letting his eyes adjust to the change in lighting.

“Welcome to new Toledo!”

Hitori was standing on the platform, waiting for them, a broad, welcoming smile on his face. His hands were folded into the long sleeves of his white robes, as were the six other Soul Nexus members behind him. They struck an oddly impressive note standing in their clean uniforms under the pristine glass roof. Will, in his worn jeans and dark short-sleeved shirt, felt out of place. Still, he stepped off the train ahead of Edward, standing in a sort of screen before the Alpha, with James and Charlisa at his sides.

“I’m glad to see you arrive safely,” Hitori said, offering a deep, polite bow. “Please feel free to take in the city sights while we await Rachel Smith and the Water Nexus. I understand they have been delayed in setting out.”

Happy Monday, everyone! Yep, that's it. Just a Monday, like any other. And like other Mondays, time for another week of chapters!

Special thanks to all the people that subscribed to me on Patreon this month. That growth was crazy, and I really appreciate all the support. To anyone else who wants to finish this story before anyone else and read the first chapters of Mech & Magic, my next novel, check out my Patreon for all that and more!

1