Chapter 58
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Togai dashed forward, sword thrusting for Will. He prepared to deflect it, but Togai changed target at the last second, aiming for Felix instead. The very weakness he’d expected Togai to use, he thought. Unfortunately for his opponent, he was much faster. He stepped to the side, swinging his sword up to intercept Togai’s, and flicked it up into the air. Immediately, Felix reached one arm around Will’s chest and slammed a chunk of ice into Togai’s chest. The man went flying back onto the ground, rolling for several feet until he was able to spring to his feet.

“Not so fast,” Will said. He was surprised to find his voice even and controlled. “You could barely stand against me alone, but you thought you could take on both of us?”

“You’ll tire eventually,” Togai hissed. “Meanwhile, I will remain fresh.”

He lunged again, only to be kicked away as Will lashed out in a high stomp. Will closed the distance this time, slamming his foot into Togai’s stomach before he could get to his feet. He tried to swing his sword down at the man’s exposed neck, but Togai parried the blow at the last second, rolling away to find purchase. Will was in his face at once, knocking him back down. Togai couldn’t react to his speed, so Will continued to bat him around the open area beside the broadcast building.

“Just relax for now,” he said quickly to Felix. “No point in wearing yourself out or accidentally hitting me.”

Felix nodded his understanding, lowering himself to the ground and crossing his legs. He kept a keen eye on the two fighting figures, however, his attention was sharp, ready to react in an instant if he could land a shot. Meanwhile, Will continued to strike Togai, with their fist, foot, and blade, knocking him down with each impact. He marveled silently at the killer’s resilience. He showed no sign of tiring, no matter how many injuries he sustained. Will was still fine himself, of course, and he showed no sign of approaching the limit of his Condition. Now it was just a matter of who would tire first.

Before the answer to that question could be revealed, Will began to detect signs that Togai was starting to adapt to his speed. He was on his feet much faster after each time that Will knocked him down and had even begun to counterattack every so often. Will frowned in concentration, then lunged forward to grapple him. He got ahold of Togai’s sword arm and swung him around to slam into the outside wall of the broadcasting building.

“Hold still now!” he shouted, pumping as much electricity as he could into his body and the hand that was touching his opponent. Togai let out a scream of agony as the electricity passed through his body. It was extremely painful, to be sure. But, even as his legs gave out from under him and he lay, convulsing on the ground, Will felt a chilly sort of pressure on his hand. It swept through his body with alarming speed, and he felt himself being drained. With a curse, he released his grip on Togai and stepped back, staggering slightly.

“You’re strong, alright,” Togai said, picking himself off the ground. “I don’t know where you get that stamina, boy, but-”

He fell silent, his head tilted to the side. An unpleasant thought seemed to have struck him just then. “No. Surely not.”

“What are you on about?” Will asked. “Starting to get delirious, are we?”

Without warning, Togai thrust his sword forward. Despite his reflexes, Will couldn’t avoid the blow entirely. It glanced off the edge of his blade and scraped across his ribs, shearing through the fabric of his shirt. He grimaced in pain and swatted Togai away with a back-handed blow, then leaped back by Felix, one hand to the cut.

“Will!” Felix let out a cry. “Are you alright?”

Will took a deep breath. “I’m fine. I don’t think it was serious-”

He’d pulled his hand away from the cut to look at it, but he froze. There wasn’t any blood on his hand. And when he looked down at his ribs, there didn’t seem to be a cut. Had Togai missed? No, he thought, he’d felt a sharp pain. He looked up again at the sound of Togai’s laughter. The traitor was laughing with uncontrollable mirth, just a few meters away. Angrily, Will lunged at him and knocked him down.

“What’s so funny?” He shouted, aiming a kick at Togai and sending him a few feet further. “You missed me.”

“I didn’t miss you,” Togai said, his voice half a groan as his lungs refilled themselves. “I hit you right good and proper. I just can’t wound you.”

“What are you on about,” Will asked, knocking him away once more as he rose to his feet. It brought him a strange sense of pleasure to knock Togai about so easily. “How could you possibly not harm-”

But he hesitated again, for the realization had just caught up to him. Togai couldn’t harm him because of the same reason that nobody could harm Edward when his Condition was right. Will seemed to have a never-ending reserve of stamina for the same reason that Edward could conjure a flame without end, or release a never-ending stream of fire from his hands.

“I’m-” he said, halting mid-sentence and looking down at his hands. He turned slowly to Felix. “This can’t be real, right?”

Felix was staring at him with widened eyes, his head slowly moving side to side. Then they widened further, and he opened his mouth to shout a warning. Too late. Will spun in place just in time to see Togai lunging at him. The sword hit Will directly over his heart and held the full power of Togai’s lunge behind it. But it didn’t break the skin. Togai staggered as his momentum broke against an immovable object, and Will took half a step back in shock. Then, slowly, a grin crept across his face. Oh, this was excellent, he thought.

Togai swung again, but Will caught the blade mid-stroke, holding it fast. Before Togai could tug it free of his grip, Will sent a current of electricity through it. With a yelp, Togai released the weapon and staggered back. Grinning more broadly, Will flipped the weapon in the air, catching it by the hilt. He let out a laugh as the full significance of the situation caught up to him and turned to Felix. His friend still looked bewildered, but even he was starting to smile.

“So we’re both Alphas,” Will said, turning back to Togai. “That’s interesting.”

“It doesn’t change anything for you,” Togai said, lifting his hands. “You can’t kill me.”

“I can,” Will said confidently. “And I will. I just need to learn what your Condition is.”

They locked eyes then, and Will knew that Togai understood perfectly what he had in mind. Togai had gone on a killing spree, wiping out the rest of his Nexus, just so that there wouldn’t be anyone who knew what he’d done. He also did it because only the Soul Nexus knew how their Condition operated. But, as they both now realized, there was a survivor. A survivor who’d already spent some months training his Soul Nexus powers, and therefore knew the very information that could help Will win.

For the first time, Togai’s grin faltered. “I’ll kill the boy before you can learn what he knows.”

“Will you now?” Will asked, his voice cool and calm. For the first time since he’d arrived in the city, he felt confident. “You’re not faster than I am. Felix, if you would, please find my Nexus and tell them about this.”

Felix rose to his feet at once. “You sure you’re alright on your own?”

“I’m fine,” He assured his friend. “Tell Edward and Charlisa that Kenta’s protection is the most important thing. Then learn what he knows, and come back.”

“Uhh, right,” Felix said slowly. “New problem.”

Will glanced over his shoulder and felt his heart sink. He saw the hail of rocks approaching from far away, all homing in on his and Felix’s position. “Fuck. Get down!”

He dove for Felix, knowing that he couldn’t survive this bombardment on his own. He just barely managed to tackle his friend to the ground before he felt the first rock hit him. It didn’t hurt one bit, but it did slam him flat. Immediately after, he found himself and Felix buried under the hail of earth. It collapsed around them, sealing them away from the outside. The only thing he could do was stay over Felix and protect him with his own body, waiting for the rocks to finish their work. There was no end to the slamming impacts. Were they going to bury the two of them alive?

Then, just barely audible through the feet of solid rock that were piled on top of him, Will heard what sounded like a hundred people yelling. The Earth Nexians stopped slamming rocks on top of them and let out shouts of surprise. The mysterious army continued to yell in anger and determination, and it sounded like a battle was breaking out. Will shoved a rock to the side with a supreme effort and looked down at his friend. Felix’s face was covered in blood from a long gash on his forehead, but he looked otherwise unharmed. He even gave his usual grin up at Will.

“Didn’t think you cared that much,” he said, shifting his legs under him. He grimaced in pain at the movement. “Damn. I think my ankle’s broken.”

Will cursed quietly. “I don’t know how we’re going to get out of here. I’m not strong enough to push these rocks myself. And I can’t blast them apart without harming you.”

“No need to worry about that,” Felix said easily. He laughed at the look of incredulous confusion. “Just wait. They’ll get us out.”

As if on cue, Will felt the boulders above them beginning to shift. He tensed, ready to jump on Felix again if their temporary shelter were in danger of collapsing. But to his surprise, he felt a lot of water hit him in the face. He staggered away from it, holding his hands up protectively. The flow of water reversed, forming a net that lifted the rock above him away. Blindingly bright sunlight flooded their shelter, and, a few seconds later, a familiar dark face with stark white hair appeared at the gap.

“Thought it was you under there!” Olivia said. “Hold tight, just one more.”

Confused but delighted, Will dropped into a crouch as he saw another boulder being lifted. He leaped through the gap at once, landing lightly on his feet on the outskirts of the rock pile. A second later, Felix landed beside him, riding a wave. He grimaced in pain as he landed lightly on his feet, staggering to the side a bit. Will and Olivia both grabbed him and guided him to the side to sit down.

“There ya go,” Olivia sighed, setting her younger brother down. “Just relax for a bit. Mom will be here soon, and she can heal that.”

“I’ll do it,” Felix said. He conjured a ribbon of water, which wrapped around the slightly swollen ankle. The water was almost glowing, and he let out a sigh of satisfaction as the pain faded. He grinned up at the surprised looks on their faces. “Fighting isn’t all I know, you know.”

Will finally looked around, getting his bearings. What looked like half the Water Nexus had arrived in a surprise attack, catching the Earth Nexians. They were currently fighting it out a few dozen yards away. And above them, also attacking the Earth Nexus, were several Air Nexians. Kevin Williams was visible in the group, along with his lieutenant Kiera. And there was Octavius, sending large spinning tornadoes at his opponents. The sounds of their shouts, it was incredibly effective.

“How are you not injured?” Olivia asked, looking him up and down. “Your clothes are in a terrible state, but you’re just fine!”

Ignoring the laugh that Felix gave out, Will shook his head quickly. “Long story. I’ll catch you up later. Which direction did Togai go in?”

The confusion on Olivia’s face said it all. She didn’t know that the killer was there. Will let out a long sigh. “Another long story. But it doesn’t matter. I know where he’s going.”

He shared one glance with Felix, who nodded in understanding, already getting to his feet. His friend waved him away, but he was already beginning to move. “Go. I’ll explain it.”

 

1