Chapter 64
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 One month later.

James Fenn, Emmet Fenn, and Kenta Takamaru, recently promoted Captains in the Thunder Nexus, stood idly around the entrance to the large stone building, talking amongst themselves when their Alpha returned to the Nexus Base. He looked exhausted but pleased. This gave them a hopeful feeling. Will Andrews had been a rather forlorn and grumpy figure since the battle in the tundra and had hardly spoken an unnecessary word as he dealt with the aftermath. The murderer Togai Kido had done a lot of damage in his campaign to wipe out the Fire Nexus and had nearly succeeded. As the only physically fit member left to take the reins, Will had suddenly found himself with a lot on his plate, and not much time to get it done.

"Good morning, Alpha!" James said, a joking note in his voice. "How's the construction going?"

"Not as fast as I'd like," Will replied with a sigh. "But they're making good progress."

"They're still okay with doing the work without being paid?" Emmet pitched in. "I know construction season doesn't start for another two or three months, but I can't believe they'd work for nothing."

"They're not working for nothing," Will answered. "Rachel's helping with the funding, and Kevin's sent people over to help. Making the construction materials light as a feather is speeding things along."

"I can imagine," Kenta said. "Is that where you've been all day? Supervising the new Nexus Hill campus?"

"No," Will said. He lifted the bag he'd been carrying to show them. "Charlisa wanted Bamboo Panda."

James raised an eyebrow. "A mighty quest. Was it the hardest mission you've ever taken on?"

Will regarded him evenly, his eyes showing just how little sleep he'd been getting. "You want to tell your pregnant Lieutenant that she can't have whatever she wants to eat?"

James immediately shook his head, his face going pale. "No thanks. I like living."

Will snorted, and the others laughed along. "Makes me wonder how Togai could ever dream of attacking us when she's so terrifying."

"Well, he learned his mistake," Kenta said confidently. Then he rubbed his forearm, feeling the scar there. "After a while."

"That he did," Will agreed. "Right. I'll just drop this off, and then we'll head out for the meeting. James, you're staying behind."

"Why me?" James asked, sounding both petulant and fearful.

"Because out of everyone, you know Charlisa the best," Will explained shortly, already pulling on the door to enter the building. Then he paused and added, "And because you asked for it with that comment."

Emmet and Kenta snorted with laughter as the Alpha disappeared into the building, and James leaned back against the stone wall, crossing his arms. He'd much rather go to the meeting than stay at the base, being terrorized by his Lieutenant. Charlisa was due in another month or so, judging by how fast Nexian pregnancy worked, and the closer she got, the crankier she became. James supposed he couldn't blame her, considering how fast that kid was growing. So far, all they knew was that he was a boy. They were going to name him Edward, after his grandfather. James planned on calling him Ed, because the full name would be too painful, no matter how much time passed.

"Been a month now," Emmet said quietly as if he could read James' mind. "Feels like it happened last week."

James let out a sigh. "Feels like it happened yesterday to me. If it weren't for the construction, I'd be looking over my shoulder."

"I still expect to see her beside me when I wake up," Emmet said, his voice soft and full of sorrow. "But she never is."

Angel, one of the victims, had been secretly falling in love with Emmet, and he'd been fascinated with her since she'd joined the Nexus. The rest had only found out after she'd died, however, in addition to learning that she'd been a woman. She'd always toed the line with them, keeping her style and attitudes as neutral as possible. James had been surprised, as he'd been one of those who'd bet that Angel was a guy the whole time. Now he didn't have a chance to gloat over his victory, because she was dead. She and Joseph, the only two victims outside of Edward. He supposed he should be grateful that there weren't more deaths. It had been the height of luck to have so few fatalities, unpowered while a couple of Nexians ran rampant around them.

"I'm sorry," James said, for perhaps the thousandth time. "I never knew what she meant to you."

"Thank you," Emmet said, his voice almost a whisper. While his face was still stoic, a single tear had escaped and ran down his cheek. He refused to acknowledge it. "But she meant something to all of us."

James nodded in agreement, but Kenta, the outsider to the group, shifted a little uncomfortably, looking away. He looked back as Emmet addressed him directly. "You're one of us, Kenta. Even before the Fire Nexus fell."

Kenta offered him a weak smile, bobbing his head in thanks. He still wasn't accustomed to how open and transparent Americans were with their emotions in public. Of course, Alaskans were more withdrawn, but it was still noticeable. "Thank you. Hopefully, we can eventually put this horrible part of our history behind us."

The others made quiet but assertive noises of agreement. Before they could think to continue the conversation further, the main door of the building opened again, and Will reappeared. He looked a sight happier than before. Turning to Kenta and Emmet, he made a quick gesture. They fell into step beside him immediately. "Sorry, James. I'm not punishing you, I swear. But we're so few at the moment, and I trust you best to watch over her. We have no clue how this meeting will go, after all."

James stepped forward to embrace his friend. "I understand, Will. I'll watch over her. Good luck."

"I know you will," his new Alpha said with a grin. "Thanks a bunch. And uh, good luck."

James laughed in earnest that time, giving a small wave as the trio paced away. They looked oddly impressive, he thought, backlit by the sun. Will had only recently come up with the uniform for their brand-new Nexus. It was normal enough, even bland compared to the furs that they'd used to wear. A light jacket that reached to the knees, a dark gray in color, bearing a stylized lightning bolt on the back and the shoulders. The pants were equally as light, and of the same color, though with no image. And, most importantly, it was all designed to be non-conductive, both to enhance the current of their power and to protect against the same. A perfect design, he thought, if perhaps a bit flashy Will's jacket was still lined with a small strip of fur, to show where he'd come from.

It took them perhaps half an hour to reach Town Hall, where the meeting had been scheduled to take place. There was a great deal of traffic around the area, as everyone in Fairbanks had been invited to attend. They were both witnesses and audience. This was going to be an important meeting, after all, and years in the future they would remember this day. The first time that all the Alphas had met in peace without Hitori, to discuss what would happen next.

Their driver was the same man who had driven Will in his cab. As soon as he'd discovered how busy his life was about to get, he'd reached out to the man to hire him as a personal driver. He'd agreed at once, and he did his job well. They'd already begun forming a bond of mutual respect, aided by the fact that Will was so strict about improving the relations between Fairbanks and the two Nexuses that now lived inside the city.

"We're here, boss," He said, pulling the car to a smooth stop. "Good luck in there."

"Thanks," Will said, opening the door. "But I told you not to call me that, Jack. Will is fine by itself."

"Sure thing, Will," Jack replied, grinning broadly. "You get into trouble in there, give me a shout. I'll get you away quick-like."

Emmet and Kenta had stepped out before he did and now moved to stand on either side of him. All three of them stared apprehensively at the crowd around the building. It looked like the entire population of Fairbanks and the surrounding areas had turned out to watch the meeting, he thought. He'd be surprised if there was a single store open in the entire borough. Not that he could blame them. They wanted to make sure that their peaceful life could continue after the chaos of the last half year. One of the building attendants was fighting their way through the crowd now, having already noticed their arrival.

"Good afternoon, Alpha," the man said. Will shifted his weight from one foot to the other at the term. He still wasn't used to being called that. But he knew that was exactly what he had to be today. He wasn't normal anymore. He'd never be normal. From now until the end of his days, he'd always be an Alpha. He just had to get used to it.

"Good afternoon," he said, keeping his face as neutral as possible. "Would you be so kind as to lead us in?"

"Right away, sir," the man agreed, all but saluting him as he turned. He raised his voice, bellowing at the civilians. "Alpha coming through! Make some space if you know what's good for you!"

The crowd parted, and the trio stepped forward, led by the attendant. Eyes stared intently at Will from every angle. They weren't hostile, but they also weren't friendly. Will knew they were waiting to form an opinion. Waiting to see what kind of Alpha he'd be. Would he be like Edward, with a bloody history that could never quite be washed away? Or would he be so lax that he'd almost seem lazy? Will hoped they'd view him in a more positive light in the future. Not lazy, but definitely not someone to fear. Unless they attacked him, of course. Between building his public image and taking care of his newborn son, it was going to be a busy few years.

The inner room was packed as expected. The crowd of spectators was along the outside wall, looking in. There were five seats, set around a wide circular table, placed directly in the center of the room. Four of them were already filled. Will recognized the four Alphas at once, though the two people behind each of them were strangers for the most part. Clara and Aguta Jameson stood behind Michael Evans, who stood at once, crossing over to shake Will's hand, pulling him into a tight embrace.

"Good to see you, lad," Michael said. "Nice to see you haven't gone crazy with the fame yet."

Will resisted the urge to laugh, but just barely. He settled for a tense grin. "Not looking so bad yourself, Michael. Tired of camping in the tundra yet?"

"Eh, it's not so bad," Michael replied with a guffaw. "I think the others miss television, but we're managing."

Rachel, who was flanked by his children, hadn't risen to greet him, but she offered him a warm smile as he sat down in the only empty chair left, Kenta and Emmet moved to stand behind him. "Good afternoon Will. It's wonderful to see you."

"Likewise," Will replied. Then he turned to the Air Nexus Alpha. "Thank you for coming all this way, Kevin. I know that was a long flight over the ocean."

Kevin waved a hand jovially, his trademark broad grin firmly in place. "No trouble at all, Will! I have to agree with Rachel. We're pleased to see you! I have to say, I was afraid you were going to be killed by Togai!"

"You're not the only ones," Will said, his voice full of meaning. "Thank you for coming, Bai Xiao. I hope your rooms are comfortable."

Xiao inclined his head, his face neutral. "They are adequate. Please, allow me to extend my sincerest apologies for the unpleasantness in New Tokyo."

Will remembered the brief but violent fight against the Earth Nexus after Togai's false announcement. Thankfully, that had been cleared up in the end. Bai Xiao had been on the verge of following Togai to Alaska, to try and capture or kill him. He waved a hand dismissively. "There is no need, my friend. Everyone knows that he was the traitor in the end, and that is enough for me. Now we can rebuild."

Bai Xiao inclined his head again, agreeing silently. "Very well. Shall we begin?"

"When the storm rips you to pieces, you have to decide how to put yourself back together again." - Bryant McGill

THE END

Well, I have to say I'm sorry to see the story end. I had a lot of fun writing Nexus. In my opinion, it rivals even the Tomes trilogy. Don't worry, I'm far from done telling the tales of the Nexuses. After much consideration, I'm pleased to announce that you'll see more of Will, and particularly his son, in book 2 of the Nexus Anthology. But details on that will be released later!

I'm astonished by the growth of my readerbase with this story, and also my Patreon page. ten new Patrons in one novel alone! I know that's not that much, but to me, it's an earth-shattering amount. I just hope I can continue to entertain you all with my stories moving forward. There are still more ideas in my head, and more to come after that. I won't stop until my hands stop working.

Thank you for reading my story. If you want to see more of my writing, check out my profile to see the other works I've published! Nexus is the 6th full story in my portfolio, after all, so there's more for you to discover! A whole world, in fact :)

What's next for my writing career?

Well, as many of you already know, I'm already fifteen chapters into another new story! The next story will be Mech & Magic, an Isekai tale of ten thousand people abducted from their homes on Earth and brought to a new world to fight against a plague of monsters. The first to earn a million points and kill the King of Monsters will have one wish granted. With both Magik and Tek to choose from, there are many ways for these warriors to arm themselves. Jerik Barr, a Tek sniper with exceptional skill, might just be the one person who can achieve this momentous goal and finally free the people of Menora.

Mech & Magic releases on ScribbleHub, RoyalRoad, and Reddit on August 1st!

 

Well, I feel like that's enough from me. If you enjoyed Nexus, please leave a review to share what you thought! It helps draw new readers in and tell me how I can improve as an author. See you in the next one

1