Bear With Me
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ground kicked up underneath him as he rushed, stepping one foot in front of the other. The forest around him was deadly quiet and only his footsteps and breathing could be heard with the human ear while the animals heard the slithering of snake skin against the broken twigs and dead leaves.

Mateo ran as fast as he could, rushing towards safety that couldn’t be seen for miles. His throat was drying up and his leg muscles were pulling tight. He could feel exhaustion cloud around his body with each step and the trees around him no longer rushed past him as before.

With exhaustion weighing down on him, he accidentally tripped over a tree route that was arched up. He fell face down breaking his nose. He turned his body over and held his face as excruciating pain overcame him.

The rustling entered his ears and he looked up. The black cobra was coiled up and looking at him. His heart started beating faster than it already was and the fear that came from his body was smelled throughout the air for all animals to prey on.

A hiss came from the snake and as it was about to strike, a strong paw flew at it. The heavy paw came with a roar frightening the cobra and Mateo. It attacked the snake clawing at it and biting down on it as it had part of its body in its mouth.

Mateo wasn’t going to watch the battle unfold as the next one who the bear would be after was him. He got up and rushed towards the sound of rushing water, ignoring the pain from his foot and from his face.

He saw the edge of a cliff in front of him and immediately stopped in his steps. He looked down and saw a waterfall across that was lower and the roar behind him was growing louder, which could only mean one thing.

He stepped back then jumped over the cliff into the air. It was a five second drop then he hit the cold water that pierced his skin. It felt as though the current underneath was sucking him in and as much as he could, he kicked but a cramp in his legs formed from the running he did earlier on made him in capable of saving his own life.

Just then, the bear jumped into the water and swam towards him as quickly as it could. Swimming under him, he let Mateo sink onto him then swam up making sure that he didn’t fall off.

Reaching land, he grabbed his shirt and pulled him onto land and looked at him. Mateo must have been under a bit too long because he wasn’t breathing. 

He stepped back, stood on its hind legs and immediately the sound of breaking bones could be heard and a magnificent or in the like of some sorts, magical happened.

The bear that rescued him turned into a dropped dead, tanned hunk, who had hair going down his back, a chest and beard full of hair and covering up his pubic area. His body was toned, and the look in his eyes held pure magnificence.

He knelt down beside his body, opened Mateo’s mouth and breathed air back into his lungs. Mateo coughed water but did not wake up. He picked Mateo up bridal style and walked with him back to his cave.

It was an hour's walk away from the waterfall but the distance wasn’t a problem, the problem was, what is he going to say or do when he comes to?

Lying Mateo down on a bed of dry grass with leaves as cushioning. He placed an old blanket under his head then went out to fish for something to eat.

“If it wasn’t for the fact that you are still breathing, I would have thought that you were dead,” he said.

 

Mateo’s eyes snapped open. Ahead of him, sat a naked man who made him blush but then his head. He groaned and turned on his back. The man left him to twist and turn until he calmed down.

 

Mateo sat up on the leaves and looked at him again. He looked down at the fire that was keeping them warm and asked, “Who are you?”

“Loki. You had a serious fall, your nose is crooked and your ankle is damaged, not to mention all the water you swallowed,” he said.

Mateo thought about what happened and shivered, he looked at him and asked, “What about my friends? Are they okay?”

Loki shook his head, he didn’t know anything about other humans besides him.

“We went hiking and ran into the cobra,” he explained.

“I have reason to believe that you were abandoned. You were out for two days and no search party was sent out yet,” he explained to him.

Mateo sat there confused for a moment and said, “That’s impossible. I’m sure you are mistaken.”

Loki shook his head and remained silent. Mateo sat with his legs off the bed and accepted the bowl of fish soup from him. The moment that soup touched his lips, he could taste that it had no salt in it but he was so hungry that he did not care.

 

Drinking the last of the soup. He looked at Loki and said, “Thank you, it was delicious.”

Loki grunted and took back the bowl. He placed it to the side and turned to him, “You can leave when you are healthy, I will take you down the mountain in a few days.”

“But I need to go now Mr Loki, they must be worried about me, my parents too,” he said and stood up but immediately fell down due to the pain in his foot.

Loki got up and placed him back on the bed and said, “You cannot leave and that is final.”

Mateo opened his mouth to say something but he growled at him shut! 

Mateo’s eyes were opened wide in disbelief, this man acted like an animal, he looked like one too. 

When he sat down Mateo asked, “Do, do you know what happened to that snake and the bear? I think the bear chased after me.”

Loki raised a brow as he looked at him, “The snake was injured and the bear is around, he wasn’t trying to hurt you.”

Mateo sat up on the bed intrigued, he just realised that they were in an ice cold cave. He looked at Loki and saw that he looked like a handsome caveman and asked, “How long have you been living out here?”

“Go to sleep,” he said and stood up. He walked out of the cave to where he couldn’t be seen and shifted into a big brown bear. He walked a few steps then roared from the depths of his heart scaring the bear that made its way up the mountain. It quickly made a turn back to where it came from.

Loki roamed around looking for berries and other edible fruits for Mateo to eat.

He returned around lunch time and found Mateo lying on the bed with his eyes open. He looked at Loki who walked in dripping from water and with a salmon in his arms and asked, “Is fish the only thing you eat?”

“It’s the only thing available around here, what do you want?” He asked.

“I’m sure you’ve eaten more than fish or else you would have fish scales too,” he said with a smirk.

Loki walked over to him and chucked everything on the floor. He climbed onto the bed, locking him between his arms and stared down at him. “Do I look like I have scales on my body?”

Mateo shut his eyes the minute he climbed on the bed. Opening his right eye, he looked between them and saw that Loki’s manhood was hanging between them. He gulped loudly and said, “Sir, I know you don’t know that but I am gay and you being naked and so close to me is really troubling, do you mind moving?”

“Gay?” Loki repeated.

Mateo opened his eyes slowly and looked at him, he lifted his hands placing them on his chest, he asked, “You don’t know? Everyone knows what it means.”

“I don’t know,” he said and pulled back sitting down on the bed. Mateo sat up and looked at him, “Are you serious?”

Loki didn’t answer him but the look of confusion in his eyes made it clear to Mateo. 

Mateo sat up on his knees gently and placed his hands on Loki’s shoulders. He leaned down slowly as he stared into his eyes then placed his lips on Loki’s feeling how rough it was.

He pulled back and looked at him to see if he had a reaction but there was nothing. He trailed his hand down his chest as he kissed him again and pushed his tongue through the gap of Loki’s parted lips.

He grabbed his manhood and started stroking it, making Loki growl. He quickly stopped his advance and looked at him surprised, raising a brow he asked, “You don’t like it?”

Loki took his hands in his and laid him on the bed, he held Mateo’s hands about his head and said, “I haven’t done this in a long time and you’re injured.”

The only thing running through Mateo’s thoughts was that this man didn’t mind! He didn’t mind at all.

 

(A week later)

Loki kept to his word and walked with him down the mountain. Mateo was wearing clothes that Loki had found for him, where? He didn’t know. He had no money on him and when he arrived, they came with a car.

Looking around, he saw that there was no car around and turned to Loki, “There’s no one here.”

“Show me where you live,” he said.

Mateo had no other choice but he did. He walked for a good twelve miles then he was too tired and Loki carried him the rest of the way. They received many strange looks but that didn’t bother Loki, on the other hand, Mateo was at first embarrassed but then he enjoyed the ride because Loki didn’t seem to tire.

He fed him berries while they walked. 

After about two hours of their journey, they arrived at an apartment where they were greeted by his landlord.

“Mateo! The police were here looking for you, are you okay? I heard you got lost in the forest hiking,” she said.

He climbed off of Loki’s back and nodded with a smile, “I am here. Did my friends come around looking for me?”

“No, only your parents, make sure you call them dear,” she said.

“Can you open my apartment for me? We walked all the way from the forest,” he said.

She nodded her head and quickly went to get the key. After opening for them, she brought up food and just couldn’t take her eyes off of the young man who was with him.

Looking at Loki who was stuffing his face he asked, “When do you think you are leaving?”

Loki looked up at him and shook his head. He looked around the room he, said, “I’ll stay for a few days.”

Mateo nodded sadly and went to his bedroom as he said, “Go take a shower, I already showed you where the bathroom is.”

 

He sat down on the bed and looked through his phone. It’s been about an hour since they arrived home and even if he wanted to contact anyone, his phone was dead and needed to be charged.

He looked through his notifications as they finished popping up and sighed. His social media was packed with ‘are you okay’ messages. 

‘Where are you?’

‘Get home safely.’

There were many messages from his family too, especially his mother trying to get hold of him. Wiping his tears away, he looked at her number then dialled it. It wasn’t long when she answered, “Mateo Dominic Cooke, where have you been?!”

Sighing into the phone, “Mom, I’m okay, I finally managed to make it out of the forest.”

“It’s been a week already! I need to call the cops. Where are you? You are officially moving back home young man!” She went on.

Mateo chuckled, “I’m fine mom, I’m at my apartment.”

“I will be there as soon as your father gets home. Do you need to go to the hospital?” She asked.

“No mom, but I am hungry. The food I bought went off and I spent all my money on the trip.” He said and looked up when Loki walked through the door.

He quickly placed the phone down as he was looking around the room, “What’s wrong?” Mateo asked him.

“Who are you talking too?” He asked.

Mateo looked down at the phone in his hand and pointed at it with a smile. He stood up and said, “You are so out of touch with the world, do you know that? I’m speaking to my mother, you should go wash up.”

Loki smelled himself and said, “All you want me to do is wash, I don’t stink.”

“I don’t mean it in a bad way. My parents are coming soon and I don’t want them to think you are some barbarian, please go wash up.” He said pushing the heavy man out of the room.

“Mom, are you still there?” He asked.

“Who was that?” She asked curiously.

“I was going to mention that I almost died but this man rescued me. I’ve been living with him because I was injured and that is why I took so long to return home.” He explained.

His mother was silent for a moment then asked, “Do you think he likes whiskey? Or beer?”

“Why would you ask me that?” He asked her.

“Because I need to thank him!” She yelled into the phone.

Mateo shook his head amused, “I don’t know him that well mom.”

“Alright, I’ll see what we can get him. I’ll bring food for you too. Make sure you rest okay,” she said.

“I will, I will,” he said and the call ended.

Mateo and his parents looked at Loki who was fast asleep with his mouth open on the couch, literally stretched out. He looked at them apologetically and guilty but was not able to explain to them why he was so tired.

“Try waking him up,” his mother whispered.

His father rolled his eyes and walked forward, he tapped Loki on the shoulder five times but he still did not wake up. Gerald huffed and looked at his son, “Did you drug him?”

“No!” He answered quickly. He picked the packets up and said, “He is just tired. We didn’t have money for the bus so we walked, he carried me most of the way and is just tired.”

“You made a grown man carry you?” His mother asked.

He looked at her repeating with a smirk, “A grown man?”

His father walked over and hugged him. His mother joined in and Mateo couldn’t keep it together. He lied to himself the whole time that he was with Loki, he was frightened, bewildered and felt lost. He let himself go and started crying. 

He was so happy to be back and safe and Loki too, he scared the shit out of him when he revealed himself.

Looki stirred awake and looked in the direction of where the crying  was coming. The kitchen was open, connected with the dinning room and looking at the family, he saw that all three of them had tears in their eyes.

He cleared his throat as he got up and looked at them. They quickly wiped their tears away, except Mateo and his father stepped forward, “You’re finally up, please forgive my appearance. I’m Gerald Lett, Mateo’s father and this is my wife, Maddison. Thank you for saving my son and taking care of him, I owe you so much.”

Loki took his hand and shook it, “There is no need to thank me.”

“Oh please, you went out of your way to save my son, something not even the authorities couldn't do. Please, I brought food to eat, let's have dinner together.”

He looked over at Mateo and saw that he was expressionless then nodded his head, “Please.”

 

***

“That was a very awkward dinner,” Mateo said.

Loki looked down at him but could not recall the awkwardness, “You just seemed to be out of place.”

He sighed then asked, “When will you be returning?”

“You want me to leave?” Loki asked. He sat down beside Mateo on the couch and held his hand.

Mateo looked at their hands then pulled his away saying, “I’m back home now and I think I’ll be okay, there won’t be any wild animals chasing after me.”

Loki narrowed his eyes on him then faced forward and nodded his head, “Yes, there are no wild animals in here meaning, you want me to leave.”

Mateo opened his mouth to say something but Loki stood up, almost bumping him over. After he caught his balance, he looked at Loki and said, “I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I heard you loud and clear. If you ever do reach the forest again, please come visit me, I’m sure I can whip up a delicious meal for you from the river,” he said and made his way to the door.

“Loki, wait,” he said, stopping him from opening the door. Loki turned to look at him but he couldn’t say a thing. He coward against his own emotions and said, “Have a safe trip home.”

Loki walked over to him and kissed him on the forehead, rubbing his head he said, “Thanks.” And left.

 

Eighteen months later…

 

Mateo was hiking down a forest path he travelled once before. Passing the trees that brought back memories. He wished ever so much that he didn’t have to go down this path but what choice did he have?

Growling came from his back and he suddenly stopped, “What happened now?” He asked, then heard a giggle in response.

Rolling his eyes, he started walking again and babbling started, “Okay okay, I’ll sing you a song but you need to stop moving so much,” he said.

“Baaa~” A baby, his daughter, babbled.

“Way up high, in a tree, two big lemons smiled at me so I shook that tree with all my power, down came the lemons WOW they were sour,” he sang and she laughed.

“Again, again,” she sang but then there was a loud roar coming from in front of them. Mateo looked at what it was then saw a big brown bear. He stared at it carefully to see if it was Loki but it wasn’t, he would have shifted back by now.

He quickly took the carrier off his back and hugged his daughter, “Baby listen to me, whatever happens to me don’t run okay?”

She looked at him confused and this is when he knelt down and crawled into a ball hugging her tightly making sure her arms and legs were tucked in near her head.

“Dada,” she called and that's when the bear crashed into him.

She screeched horribly as she was both frightened and worried. Mateo quickly got back into the position of the ball and did not move.

The bear clawed at his back, trying to get hold of his head. All he could think about was keeping his daughter safe. 

She kept crying and screaming as her father protected her from the beast but it was too late. The bear slapped its paw hard against Mateo’s neck, snapping it.

Mateo was already dead when it continued its assault, and about five minutes later, Loki in his bear form burst through the trees and attacked the bear. When it saw who it was it quickly tried to retreat but Loki could smell that it had killed the human, he didn’t know who it was but it was wrong, especially when there was a life left behind.

After killing the bear, he shifted to his human and cautiously walked up to the body. Kneeling down beside it, he turned it over and saw the little girl wrapped inside him. After breaking the stiff bones apart, he picked her up and held her. Looking at the man again, he saw that it was Mateo with his eyes still open and froze. It was a while later when he was pulled out of his thoughts by the little girl who kept calling “Dada.”

He placed her on his lap and took a good look at her and saw the chain around her neck that had her name written on it and he teared up, “I’m sorry I didn’t make it on time Layla.”

“Dada?” She said pointing to Mateo and he shook his head, “I’m sorry but your dada is no longer in this world.”

Layla stared at him for a while then she looked at Mateo who hadn’t moved. She started whimpering then roared and kicked her legs against his stomach making him drop her. After she landed on the ground, she shifted into a little brown bear just like him and her roar became deeper. She walked up to Mateo’s body and climbed on it as she roared to him as if calling for him to wake up.

Loki stared at her in disbelief and looked at Mateo’s body, that was laying there lifeless. A tear dropped down his face in disbelief. He had a child? She was his right?

Suddenly, from beside them, the bear that he killed rose into the air slowly with the wind, carried by leaves, and slowly turned in a circle.

The body lowered down onto the ground again, and both Loki and Layla were frightened out of their fur. They looked at each other confused and at that time, a growl came from the other bear.

Loki quickly picked Layla up and backed away from Mateo’s body as they watched the bear slowly rise from the ground but drop down with a grunt. It then flipped onto its back and kicked it’s legs into the air and grunted again.

It turned in a circle on the ground and finally after struggling, it got up with shaky legs and looked at the two, especially the one giving off a familiar smell.

The bear saw Loki holding the cup and it growled, >Layla?<

When Layla heard it she looked at it confused. She recognised the voice that was inside her head and then looked at Mateo’s body that was on the ground.

>Dada?< She called and the bear flopped down to the ground saying, >Geez, I thought I died.<

Loki carefully placed Layla down and shifted and roared at the bear frightening it. It looked up and said, >Can’t you see that I am resting here?<

>Mateo?< Loki called and the bear just looked at him.

Layla rushed towards him as she whimpered, >Dadaaaa~<

>Mn, let me sleep, go to your father,<  he said.

Loki sat down confused. Layla was rubbing herself all over him and he was not bother, he just seemed overly exhausted. 

Walking over to him, he said, >I don’t understand, you should be dead.<

Mateo looked at him then it was like realisation hit him and he started freaking out. He got up pushing Layla to the floor and said, >Oh shit, I’m dead, I’m dead, I’m dead.<

He was spinning in a circle and unbothered, Layla went and crawled up beside her other father. Loki looked down at her and nuzzled her with his nose as he asked, >How do we have a child?<

Mateo stopped his madness and said, >I don’t know. I woke up pregnant. Ate all the food finished in the house and when I was at the hospital, they did tests and said I have the DNA to carry kids but it was so weird because I’m not intersex but still, I gave birth to Layla.<

He looked at Layla who was looking at him from Loki’s lap and said, >Speaking of which, I saw a lady just now. She said her name is Artio. She thanked me for helping you finally have a family after yours was killed and said she’d give me a second chance at life, does this mean, I can’t shift like the two of you?<

Loki stared at him thinking, ‘I don’t even believe in her.’

Layla walked over to her father who lowered for her to climb on his back. He got up and looked at Loki saying, >I’m hungry and tired, let’s go and the next time you leave another animal to kill me, you will look after your daughter alone! She’s a handful.<

Loki stared from behind as Mateo was singing some lemon song and made his way to his cave.

Well, it’s theirs now.

0