Chapter 68: Sunnin, Sensant, & Stokenshire – Part 7
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 68

 

* Weaver’s Road *

Ashley entered the Warrior Guild gym feeling lighthearted and accomplished. She was flanked by Salov and Harsale who were there to let everyone know the good news about the orphanage. However, her smile faded as she looked around and immediately noticed something was wrong. Not only where there no children, but an unsettling quiet fell over the room when they saw her.

“Uh, what’s going on?” she asked.

Panson walked up to the trio, his normal jovial smile gone. “We tried to stop ‘em; we really did.”

“Stop who?” Salov asked.

Tarak was right behind Panson. “Some guy came and took all the kids to a private orphanage in Marshroot.”

“It was Banion,” Derrick clarified as he joined the group.

“What?” Confused, Ashley looked around and found the Sunnin sisters, but there was one extra among their ranks. “What happened?” she demanded of Patrice.

“I’m sorry, it’s just—"  

The unfamiliar one among them stepped forward, cutting Patrice off. “You must be Ashley,” she said with a well-practiced smile. “I’ve heard a lot about you. I’m Heather Beachman, the head sister of the Sunnin Social System.”

She extended a hand, but Ashley didn’t shake.

“What happened to the kids? I thought you guys didn’t have an orphanage to send them to.”

“We didn’t,” Heather confirmed, slightly affronted that Ashley skipped the niceties. “However, Isaac was able to find a private orphanage in Marshroot, and he was gracious enough to provide transport to send all of the kids there.”

“All of the kids?” Ashley repeated, looking between Jasmine and Tarak. “What about the ones that we found homes for?”

Tarak opened his mouth to respond but it was Heather who answered. “It’s not the policy of Sunnin to place children in our care with families that haven’t been properly vetted. There are protocols in place.”

“In your care?” Ashley’s voice went shrill. “This morning you all were ready to abandon them.”

“And now we’ve found a place for them,” Heather said, her strained smile still in place. “I don’t see how this is any concern of yours.”

Salov intervened. “We were able to restore the orphanage in the northeast district. Given that, wouldn’t it be better to keep the children here in a Sunnin facility rather than send them off to some private orphanage all the way on Sunntondra?”

Patrice’s eyes went wide. “You restored the orphanage? But how—”

“Be that as it may, we still do not have the resources in place to staff and run the orphanage,” Heather countered.

“If Sunnin is low on funds and personnel then the Stokenshires will provide the resources necessary to run the orphanage,” Salov said heatedly.

“The…Stokenshires? Who are you?”

“I am Salov Stokenshire, and I can guarantee that I have the authority to speak on behalf of my uncle and the entire family on this matter.”

Heather seemed completely wrongfooted for the first time. She looked around at Panson, Ashley, Tarak, and Salov, confused and slightly overwhelmed by their determined stares. “Why is this so important to all of you? It’s just a few displaced children. We’ve done our duty. I would think everyone would be happy with this resolution. I’m not sure why I’m being painted as the villain.”

“They’re not just a few displaced children,” Panson said, and the warrior guild members behind him muttered their agreement as he continued. “We fought hard to get ‘em out of those slavers’ hands, and we all banded together to take care of ‘em and get ‘em homes. Those youngins deserve to be where people care about ‘em.”

Harsale finally stepped forward. “Sister Heather, given the new circumstances, perhaps it would be better if the children remain in Weaver’s Road,” he said in a calm voice. “As chairman of the merchant council, I have already approved the reopening of the orphanage along with all of the other restored buildings in the eastern district. If Salov is willing to dump the centars needed to run it, I don’t see the harm.”

Heather nodded, regaining her composure. “While I agree, the problem is that Isaac has already taken the kids. I’m sure they’re at the orphanage by now. There’s really nothing we can do since my quickener cannot take us there.”

Ashley burst into tears. The reaction was so unexpected that no one knew what to do.

“Ash?” came a familiar voice. “What’s wrong.”

Wayne and Amber entered the gym. Fresh from their excursion with the Weaver’s Road constables and feeling quite proud of themselves, they’d decided to visit the Warrior Guild to see Ashley and Derrick, only to walk in on the tense scene.

Ashley didn’t hesitate to fling herself into Wayne’s arms and tears flowed freely. As he comforted her, he looked to the others for an explanation.

Derrick quickly summarized the entire situation, and Wayne was able to catch up for the most part.

“Ash…I’m so sorry,” Wayne said as he continued to hold her. “I know you guys worked hard, but at the very least, the kids have a place to stay, right?”

Heather nodded at this but seemed to know better than to voice her agreement.

“It’s just so unfair,” Ashley said as she wiped tears from her eyes. “All this work…why was I supposed to do this if it all meant nothing?”

Wayne didn’t fully understand but stroked her head all the same. “I’m sure it wasn’t for nothing. If anything, you kept the kids safe while we were able to round up the rest of those slavers.”

“What?” Panson said confused.

It was Wayne’s turn to briefly explain the events of his day. By the time he finished, Ashley had stopped crying and pulled away from him.

“So, if the kids had been put out on the street this morning, those slavers could’ve gotten them again,” Wayne told her as he finished his tale.

Ashley nodded solemnly. “I guess…you’re right.” She turned to Salov. “Thanks for trying.”

Salov gave a slight bow. “Any time. Perhaps we should go back to the manor,’ he offered before looking around. “Where’s Lizzy?”

“She was taken with the other orphans,” Patrice answered.

“Oh…” Salov looked crestfallen.

Wayne was about to ask why, but then something distracted him. “Uh, Amber, what are you doing?”

Unobserved by anyone, Amber had wandered off to the center of the gym and seemed to be sniffing the air as if trying to identify a smell. “Ugh, it’s definitely here too.”

“What’s here?” Wayne asked.

“That god-awful smell; the same one from the slaver’s hideout. I can’t describe it, it’s like if someone mixed vanilla with…a forest?”

Derrick chuckled at this. “Yeah, I know what she’s talking about. It’s that weird cologne, or whatever you call it, that Banion was wearing. It’s like he bathed in it. I’m not surprised she can still smell it.”

Salov nodded slowly, but then a sudden realization dawned. “Wait a second, are you saying that you smelled that scent in the slaver’s base you raided?”

“Exact same, no way I can mistake that,” Amber said.

“And she’s a sensant, just like you thought,” Wayne added.

“And Banion took the children.” Salov turned to Harsale in shock.

Harsale also looked stunned. “I have a hard time believing…” He looked to Heather. “You verified the existence of this private orphanage Banion spoke of, right?”

Heather faltered. “Well, I had no reason to doubt the word of a member of the merchant council.”

Salov headed for the door. “We need to get Constable Mitchell right away.”

 

***

 

Lizzy knew there was something wrong the moment they were shepherded out of the Warrior Guild. Banion said that he was going to transport them to the orphanage by way of commercial quickener. He brought them to his manor to wait, but once they got there, all of the kids were forced downstairs into a basement room and told to sit quietly.

“I don’t understand,” said a girl who was sitting in the corner with her knees to her chest. “I thought I was going to go to my aunt’s house.”

“They’re taking us all to an orphanage,” an older boy answered. “This is so dumb. Why are we just sitting here?”

Lizzy couldn’t take any more. She stood and headed for the stairwell.

“Where are you going?” someone called out to her.

“I want to see what’s going on,” Lizzy said.

Lizzy suspected that Banion wasn’t taking them to a real orphanage. She’d heard rumors from kids in the desert about some private orphanages that were really labor mills in disguise, forcing the kids to work making textiles and other cheap products so that the owners could make money under the guise of having the children ‘earn their keep.’ She was willing to bet that they were all in for a life of misery.

But even if it was a reputable orphanage, Lizzy still didn’t want to go. She didn’t want to spend years in an institution. Though it was a long shot, she’d hoped that Salov would let her stay with him, even if it was just as an assistant or servant. That would still be better than some child labor mill where she’d hardly get food or rest. She tried to show Salov that she could be useful. She helped make breakfast, and even wanted to learn how to be a channeler so she could help with his work, but she never got the chance to ask him. She wanted that opportunity before she was carted off from Weaver’s Road.

Lizzy walked up to the door at the top of the stairs and reached out for the handle with some trepidation. It was locked, but it didn’t feel like there was any sort of barrier on the door. This was probably because their captor assumed all the children were born and raised in the desert and couldn’t use any mentus.

The small girl closed her eyes and focused. She’d spent the afternoon with Salov and learned a little basic mentus. Though she only had one lesson in using telekinesis, she applied what little skill she had on the task of unlocking the door. After several seconds of intense concentration, she heard the soft click of the lock turning.

Proud of herself, Lizzy pushed the door open slightly and peered out. There was no one in the long hallway, but she heard voices from several doors down. Curious, she walked softly toward the sound.

“We can’t keep them here indefinitely,” came the voice of Banion. “This wasn’t part of the plan.”

“Well how was I supposed to know the northeast district would just suddenly repair itself?”

Lizzy recognized the other voice as well but couldn’t quite place it. The door was ajar, allowing her to peek inside the room without being noticed.

She put a hand to her mouth to keep herself from gasping aloud. There were two men sitting in large white armchairs. One was Banion and the other was Kingston, the head of one of the slaver rings who had tried unsuccessfully to band all of the slavers together.

Realizing that all the kids were in danger, Lizzy fumbled in her pockets and found the melivian quartz she’d practiced with earlier. She tapped it lightly against the stone wall to activate it and then started to record the two men together. Once she was done, she planned to escape and find someone that could help them.

“Think about it this way,” Kingston continued. “It’s about forty kids; you’re going to be making a pretty hefty profit off this. I’ll cut you in for twenty percent for helping me out.”

“Twenty percent?” Banion sputtered indignantly. “What are you talking about? Our deal has always been forty percent.”

“That was when we had access to the tavern for our auctions. Now that’s gone, so we’ll have to find a new place to do it, unless you want to hold the auction here?”

“Absolutely not. I can’t be tied to your dealings; I have a reputation to maintain,” Banion said.

“Well then if you want forty, find us a new place by tonight,” Kingston offered. “Or do you not have the same kinda pull now that they ousted you outta the chairmanship,” he scoffed.

“It’s not like I can just arrange another fire to happen in a few hours. The northeast district fire took weeks of planning and a large number of bribes. We’ll have to come up with something else.”

“What about that contact you have in Marshroot?” Kingston asked.

“I’m sure he’ll take the girls, but he won’t want the boys.”

“Welp, tell ya what, if you set it up, I’ll get them there by boat. I can probably sell the boys to the miners in the western mountains. We won’t make as much money as we do with the auctions, but it’ll be fast, and I’ll cut you in for the same amount as usual.”

“I don’t see why I’m not getting a bigger payout,” Banion objected grumpily. “If it weren’t for me, you wouldn’t have even gotten these kids back.”

Kingston stood. “Don’t get greedy, Banion. I’m the one takin’ all the risk here. Transporting slaves ain’t easy. It’s not like you can hire a quickener to take them,” he laughed harshly. “Plus, I gotta pay my crew too…well what’s left of ‘em.”

Lizzy pocketed the quartz and backed away from the door when she saw that Kingston was headed in her direction, but before she could figure out where to go, she heard a shout behind her.

“Eh, ya little pinker! What’re ya doing over there!”

Lizzy let out a yelp of surprise. A large, burly man was running toward her. She tried to flee, but the door was thrown open, and Kingston grabbed her by the arm.

“Well, well, well, how’d you get out?” he asked her.

“Uh, the door was unlocked. I just wanted some water,” she invented wildly.

“She definitely heard us,” Banion said as he joined them in the hall. “We can’t put her back with the others or she’ll cause a panic and that’s the last thing we need.”

Kingston nodded at this. “Take her upstairs and tie her up; we’ll figure out what to do with her later.” He handed Lizzy off to the other slaver, who roughly pinned her arms behind her back.

“I’m sure I could arrange a private buyer just for her. A cutie like her will definitely fetch a fair price, especially since she’s still young enough to be groomed,” Banion said, a greedy look in his eyes as he imagined the money he’d make.

“No, no!” Lizzy screamed before her captor pressed a hand over her mouth.

“Make sure you gag her too,” Kingston chuckled.

Lizzy struggled and squirmed while trying desperately to scream, but it was no use. The large man easily dragged her down the hall and up the stairs.

“What a mess,” Banion said, shaking his head. “Let’s hurry up and get this done.”

Just then, the melodic chime of bells echoed throughout the house, indicating someone was waiting at the door.

“Now what?” Kingston said in agitation.

“I don’t know, but you better make yourself scarce,” Banion said.

“Fine,” Kingston headed in the same direction that his henchman had dragged Lizzy.

 

***

 

Mitchell once again pulled the long rope that rang the bell outside of Isaac Banion’s palatial manor.

“Wow, and I thought your place was big,” Ashley said in awe as she stared up at the three-story building.

“Bigger doesn’t always mean better,” Salov said with a hint of defensiveness.

The door finally opened, and Banion stood in the threshold still in his exuberant red and white robe, his red fez askew.

“Well hello Constable Mitchell, Chairman Harsale, and…others? What brings you all here?”

There was a veritable crowd of people on his doorstep including Wayne, Ashley, Heather, Salov, Amber, Derrick, Panson, Jasmine, and Patrice.

Mitchell led the conversation though. He tipped his straw hat respectfully. “Sorry to bother you, Mr. Banion, but we seem to have a slight discrepancy with the children that were handed into your care.”

“Oh, what might that be?” Banion smiled benignly before turning to Heather. “Sister Heather, you did tell them that you approved the transfer to the Marshroot orphanage, correct?”

Heather squirmed uncomfortably. “Yes, I did, but…it seems that the orphanage here is now available for use, so we feel that it would be better to have the children stay here.”

“Oh, I see,” Banion nodded. “Well unfortunately, I already sent them on their way. But if you give me some time, I’m sure I can contact the commercial quickener and schedule a return transport, perhaps for tomorrow. You know how quickeners can be: very busy.”

“Hey Wayne, isn’t it true that a person’s pulse quickens when they’re lying,” Amber said bluntly as she stared coldly at Banion.

Wayne smirked at this, and Mitchell did not miss the implication in her comment. “Mr. Banion, if it’s all the same with you, we’d like to clear up a little matter. You see, it’s been insinuated that you may have had contact with some known slavers, and considering the nature of these children’s origin, I simply can’t take such an accusation lightly.”

“That’s absolutely preposterous.” He turned to the chairman. “Harsale, you can’t be taking this seriously. It’s bad enough you usurped my position, now you’re trying to tarnish my good name?”

“No one wants to accuse you without evidence,” Harsale said calmly. “That’s why we’re here.”

“If you wouldn’t mind letting me search the premises, I’m sure we can clear this up right now,” Mitchell added.

“Absolutely not,” Banion sputtered. “I’m still a member of the merchant council after all. Without extenuating circumstances, you still need an order signed by a majority of the council to search my home and belongings without my consent, and I’m certainly not giving it. This is a flagrant abuse of power, Harsale, and I’ll be bringing this up at the next meeting. I still have friends on the council who will not take kindly to these baseless allegations.”

Mitchell gave a soft smile. “You’re absolutely right; without a signed order from the council, it would take extenuating circumstances.” He turned to Amber. “You got any of those?”

Amber closed her eyes.

“What’s the meaning of—” Banion started but Mitchell put a finger to his lips.

“Shhh, she hates it when people are talking while she’s trying to focus,” Mitchell said in an exaggerated whisper.

Amber’s eyes opened within seconds. “Third floor, second window from the left.”

“What?” Banion was clearly confused.

“I hear Lizzy, she’s trying to scream but there’s something muffling her. I think she’s gagged,” Amber clarified.

“Well, there you have it, extenuating circumstances,” Mitchell said with a smile. He went to draw his sword, but Salov pushed past him, knocking Banion out of the way as he raced down the hall.

Wayne and Mitchell exchanged knowing looks. “I’ll go after him,” Wayne decided before taking off down the corridor. “Panson, Derrick, search the house. If Lizzy’s here, then chances are the other kids are too.”

Mitchell was already binding Banion with quartz rope as Derrick and Panson rushed inside to start the search.

Salov practically flew up the three flights of stairs, heart pounding as he searched for any sign of Lizzy.

“Stop yer squirmin’ ya little pinker,” came a harsh voice from several rooms down.

Salov flung open the door and saw the slaver trying to tie Lizzy to the four-poster bed, even as the young girl thrashed around wildly, a gag in her mouth and tears in her eyes.

“Get away from her,” Salov roared as he grabbed the man from behind, and with mentus-enhanced strength, threw him off the bed.

Despite hitting the wall hard, the slaver got up and drew a long dagger. He ran forward, intent on stabbing Salov. The deceptively strong tailor easily dodged the knife, grabbed the man by the arm and slammed his elbow into it. The slaver screamed in pain and dropped his weapon. Salov then punched him hard in the face, and the man collapsed on the floor just as Wayne appeared in the threshold.

“You okay?” Wayne asked as he started to tie up the unconscious slaver.

“Yeah, slaver scum only know how to beat up defenseless kids,” Salov said with disdain as he walked over to the bed where Lizzy still had both hands bound to the bed posts. He quickly released her and removed her gag.

“Salov!” she cried as she wrapped her arms around him. “Thank you! Thank you for not abandoning me!”

Salov picked her up from the bed and held the small girl in his arms. “Of course I wouldn’t abandon you.”

He waited for her to compose herself before setting her down. Lizzy held onto his hand as if not wanting to let him go.

Leaving the bound, unconscious slaver behind, the trio headed back downstairs where everyone was waiting in one of the overly large sitting rooms.

Derrick and Panson had already found the children, and Banion was standing with his hands bound behind his back.

“It was just as Amber said,” Wayne reported as they entered with Lizzy. “There’s another one upstairs that you’ll want to get.

“Well then, what do you have to say for yourself, Mr. Banion,” Mitchell said with ill-disguised disdain.

Banion still seemed intent on escaping any charges. “This is all just a big misunderstanding. Yes, the kids were here, but that’s because my commercial quickener was running late. I only lied due to embarrassment. You can’t prove that I was going to do anything nefarious.”

“Really, what about the slaver we found upstairs?” Salov demanded.

“Merely a laborer I hired for the afternoon since all my regular servants have the day off. I had no idea of his less than reputable credentials, nor that he would attack one of the children.”

“Do you really think these feeble excuses are going to hold up against the council?” Harsale said.

“You may have slithered your way into the chairman seat, but I’ve still got more pull than you know. At the end of the day, it’s my word against a bunch of circumstantial evidence. I’m sure I can convince the appropriate people to see things my way,” Banion said coolly.

Lizzy tugged on Salov’s sleeve. “What about this?” She pulled the melivian quartz crystal from her pocket.

Salov took the small rock from her and tapped it against the stone wall. A semi-transparent, three-dimensional image appeared in front of them, playing back the conversation between Banion and Kingston that Lizzy had overheard.

Banion’s face paled, and for the first time he looked nervous. “That’s not what—"

“I doubt you’ll be able to talk your way out of this,” Salov said triumphantly as he tossed the quartz stone to Mitchell, “and I’ll make certain you can’t bribe your way out of it,” he added darkly.

As Mitchell pushed Banion outside to call for reinforcements, Ashley turned to Salov. “Thanks so much for everything.”

“As I said before, it is an honor to serve,” Salov responded in a hushed tone.

Heather walked up to them, Patrice and Jasmine in tow.

“Well given the circumstances, I definitely feel it is in the best interest of the children that they stay under the care and authority of Weaver’s Road,” Heather announced in a dignified tone. “Still, as I said, we don’t have the resources to staff the orphanage, but you are free to use the building until such time as we can resume official services.”

“It won’t be a problem,” Salov said.

“Too right,” Panson agreed. “I’m sure there are plenty of folks who’ll be lining up to volunteer at the orphanage, especially if the little missy’s in charge.”

“Well then, it seems our role in this matter is done,” Heather said as she adjusted her robe. “Jasmine, Patrice, we should be heading back to the mountain; we have much to accomplish.”

Patrice and Jasmine shared a look before Jasmine addressed Heather. “Sister Heather, if it’s all right with you, Patrice and I would like to stay for a few hours longer, just to help see things to completion.”

Heather looked like she would object but seemed to think better of it. “Very well, but don’t be too long. I definitely need my two most dependable sisters at my side to help navigate all of the work needed to aid those destroyed towns.”

“We won’t tarry long,” Jasmine assured.

She and Patrice both gave respectful bows and Heather took her leave.

“Thanks for staying,” Ashley said as soon as Heather was out of earshot. “I hope I didn’t get you in trouble.”

Jasmine smiled serenely. “I highly doubt we’ll face any sort of reprimand. Besides, we can hardly walk out before a job is complete. Now, how can we help?”

“We need to get the children who already have a place to go back to Tarak at the guild. Jasmine, can you do that? Oh, and take Panson and Derrick with you, just in case.”

“Absolutely,” Jasmine bowed respectfully before heading off.

“Patrice, if you can stick around, I want to take the rest of the kids to the orphanage and see what we need to get it ready for them to stay.”

“Of course,” Patrice said with a smile. “I’ll go gather up the children who are going.”

She extended a hand to Lizzy who she knew had no home to go to, but Lizzy shrank back behind Salov.

“I don’t want to go,” she said with an almost fearful voice.

Patrice frowned, clearly worried that she’d scared her, but Salov gave a reassuring smile.

“It’s okay,” he said.

Patrice nodded in understanding. “Of course.” She gave a brief bow then left to gather the remaining children.

Salov knelt so that he was at Lizzy’s level. “Lizzy I—”

“Please don’t make me go!” Lizzy blurted, her eyes filled with tears. “I want to stay with you. I promise I can be helpful. I’ll cook every day; I’ll help you in your shop; I’ll do whatever you need. You already saw how useful I can be. Just let me stay with you. please!”

Salov stroked her chestnut hair affectionately. “Lizzy, I have absolutely no intention of keeping you as a servant. Like I said, you need to go to school, and you should be able to have fun with other kids, not be forced to work in a shop before you’re even of age.”

“But—” Lizzy could barely speak for crying.

“That’s why I plan to adopt you,” Salov finished with a smile.

“You—what?” Lizzy sniffed, rapidly wiping her tears away.

“I should have told you earlier; I’m so sorry I made you worry,” Salov said.

“You want to adopt me?” Lizzy said, hardly daring to believe it.

Salov nodded. “If that’s okay with you. I know I can never be a replacement for your parents, but I hope that you can still see me as family.”

Lizzy threw her arms around Salov’s neck, now crying for a completely different reason. “Thank you! Thank you so much!”

Salov patted her head gingerly as Ashley and Wayne watched over them with smiles.

“You did good work today, Ash,” Wayne said to his best friend. “I can’t believe you coordinated all of this on your own.”

Ashley shrugged. “I don’t think I did much.”

“Oh really?” Wayne gestured around the room where dozens of children were smiling happily. “Thanks to you, all of these kids will have somewhere to go and people to watch over them, whether it’s back in the desert or here at the orphanage. You got a whole community to care about them, so they’ll be in good hands after we’re gone. Tarak and I may have gotten them away from the slavers, but you’re the one that really saved them.”

It was only after it had all been spelled out to her that Ashley really understood the impact she’d made. She beamed as Wayne wrapped an arm around her side and gave her a brief hug.

 

0