Chapter 5 – Unleash the Draft!
832 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

As Aya opened the paper bag and took out the three initial drawings, the air in the office suddenly seemed to solidify and freeze. Looking through the draft, the sound of friction between the paper added a bit of coldness to the solidified atmosphere. It was too silent. Too silent for ordinary humans to bear. The Monster Editor is at a work, her Aura prowls for the hunt. This is the predatorial zone for artists right now. Merely prey for the hunt, and Alex Kenichi was the first in line to be hunted.

Three drawings, Aya Gozen the Chief Editor looked at them for thirty-three seconds. put down those drafts, and began contemplating as her brows became somewhat unnatural as she mustered her thoughts and think through for a moment. When an artist submits the manuscript, there is generally a rule that if the manuscript was given and the editor did not read the script a second time, it means that the manuscript has no hope, and can be directly rejected.

When he saw the unnatural crease on Aya's eyebrows, it was a blessing, the happiest thing has happened to Kameda, because it looks like she won’t look at it again, Kameda’s ridiculous line of thought was thinking about how to humiliate this Tochigi Sensei son right now. However, something didn’t feel quite right, his chin almost fell right now, and he suspected that he was indeed in the wrong! Miss Gozen did something odd.

"Mr. Alex, I need to look at this again, you may sit down for a while."

Aya Gozen said coldly as she moved towards the second manuscript. and flipped through the pages scrutinizing it on her desk as she scanned the artwork slowly.

Alex just smiled and did not deny her orders. He sat down on the chair in front of her desk and waited patiently. Kameda was immediately stunned by this What does it mean?. No way! The most rigorous editor in Satelight would want to see his cover art for a second time?! This is incredible! Is this real or fake? What is she thinking?! How good can it be? Is the kid that good?

The second time, The three pieces of cover art were analyzed by Aya for three more minutes, but she did not intend to let go of the draft. She was simply fascinated by it, this is unprecedented.‘Aya Gozen what are you doing?! Rip him to shreds!! This unreliable bitch! She looked at it for the third time! And for the third time! It took her 15 more minutes!’ Kameda was gnashing his teeth, albeit from losing his mind. He was fuming in anger, and he would like to take the drawings from the hands of Aya Gozen and judge himself to see what level they are at! This is simply slapping his face!

Aligning the drafts,  She put those Cover Art on the side of her table, She was watching This new blood Alex, silently staring at him and calculating something. Alex didn't mind and kept quiet, he didn’t mind it one bit. The two of them watched each other for a long time until she decided to look at the drafts for the fourth time. At this moment, Kameda-san has lost his patience. He can't wait! All he wants to do is, he wants to bury this damn kid for humiliating him right now!

"Chief Editor Aya, may I have a look at the draft as well? I..."

Kameda-san stopped what he was about to say, and a cold sweat was formed on his forehead! He definitely did not want to make a draft out of nothing, but Gozen's predatory eyes already laid their gaze on him and aimed at him coldly. Aya Gozen turned her head towards him looked at Kameda with a look of disgust.

"Who are you? Do I know you? Get out of my office now!"

At this moment, Kameda was completely embarrassed, and he felt rather awkward, there was nothing but shame on his face, but he had to speak out, or else left himself, even more, embarrassed than before. he needs to straighten things out right now.

"I am also a very famous mangaka in the industry, and I have recently cooperated with Satelight and Gainax!" thought to himself as Kameda started stating it as a matter of factly.

He often comes and goes into Satelight! Throughout the editorial department, who doesn't know who I am? me? I have been called “Sensei” too when I am out there! But now this beautiful cold editor directly in front of me asking me who I am?! However, Kameda knew that the Editor-In-Chief in front of him is untouchable in the industry.

"Chief Editor, I am very sorry for being so rude, I am the author of the manga "The Queens Game", Kameda Mura."

Kameda -san immediately changed his name to the surname with a smiling face, that black-spotted face of his doesn't inspire confidence at all, everything seems too insincere when he smiles. Even Alex could only shake his head in concern. He wonders if the anime industry here has dropped significantly from his previous world, how did a guy like that ever get the pass? There's probably some politics involved, which he isn't interested in at all nor does he want to get in bed with.

"The Queens Game"? Isn't that when that stupid protagonist is the one who makes his girlfriend a toy for his friends? That stupid shitty mobile phone author, that’s you? Why the hell are you here? get your ass off back to Gainax then, this is Satelight. we have standards here!" 

This woman did not mince her words, they were brutal! Alex wholeheartedly agrees. He really likes this Editor. Now that he thinks about it, That premise sounded familiar. There was a manga with a similar setting to that in his previous world.

This sounded like an Ousama game! When Alex heard of the name, he was surprised. In his past life, this was animated by another company, not Gainax. a twenty-four-episode horror made by Studio Seven back in his world. The premise of the story is that 32 students received a text message to play a secret deadly game. It was generally received well with its small fanbase.

"I did not expect that in this world I would meet the original author! There are many “wonderful” things to write about this work! It seems that there are "talents" everywhere. "Even if such talents have to come from a shitty person like him" But Alex then started to ponder and think, was the protagonist that stupid in the original series?

Kameda was ashamed and angry. When he heard that his protagonist was commented on the internet as someone who was a little bit stupid and was ridiculed by many anime journalists. Kameda was so angry that it was hard to be in a calm state all the time when news kept coming out in microblogs, tikitoko, or the Viutube, but it was Gainax who was willing to make it into an anime! It seems that he still didn’t want to go back and give up on this, leaving means admitting defeat to this kid, and he doesn't want that.

"Didn’t you go by a different name? Why do you hide yourself Kameda Sensei? what are you doing here with me? Did I invite you to drink tea with me? I don't want my office to be polluted by you. Get out"

"I..." Kameda clenched his fists and his face was red.

"Chief Editor Gozen please, this here is my latest work, please have a look’" A smile of politeness, this smile that came from Kameda was so confident it was extremely lethal if he worked in corporate and sales. Too bad this lady fox in front of him is immune to it.

"In that case, please do not disturb my work, I have no extra chairs here, please stand there."

Aya Gozen did not welcome him. Despite her unkindness, Kameda Mura abided by her rules and kept standing. He wouldn't dare to insult or make her mad at this point. Doing so might end his career. Turning her head, she looked at Alex with that same cold gaze and said  

"Mr. Alex, can you answer a question from me?"

"Excuse me. Yes"

“How much longer do you think it will take before you can recover to full peak performance?”

"I’m around 60% there, why?"

"Then I will comment on a few things, please don't mind."

’What! This ridiculous bitch! Why is the treatment so different!  "Please don’t mind", what’s with that comment! Is his level that much better than me?!’ Kameda Mura looked at her for a long time, Inside he was fuming mad at this kid, Why does he get special attention from this bitch?

"First of all, the first one is the best out of all of them. Although it is not painted yet, and only shows a barebone sketch, the male and female lead are facing each other. The artistic conception of pulling each other with a red string is really beautiful, and the line processing is perfectly in place. The style is also very delicate." using Asian red strings of fate and combining that lore into art has been done before but try not to focus too much on this part here..and here-"

Alex simply nodded, he knew what to do when he drew that. Black and white sketch to highlight his line art specialty and style and a simple red line for the motif. the red strings of fate symbolize Asian eternal one true love as if fate has decided. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break, in western beliefs, this means soulmates.

"But here, In the second cover here, the quality started to go down, some lines are a little jittery, and there are intermittent mistakes. The G pen was almost out of control in your hands, but you are very good at controlling it’s due to your rich experience, these are lesser mistakes. For a kid like you to gain such experience, you must have a good teacher, is it your father?"

There was a hint of excitement when she talked about his father that way, was it his father? Alex wouldn't know since his father hasn't taught him anything about his style, he needed to go back and research his father's art. This is how his original technique has always been though.

"The last one even if it's colored is utter trash. Complete garbage, will you just scrap it and do a new one, I cannot accept it"

’Hahaha! Great! He was finally ridiculed! hah!!’

Kameda-san was not thinking right in his mind. His heart was dark, but he was still half-satisfied with just this. The next thing Aya said will probably end his meager career.  It will end him!

Aya Gozen's eyes play around coyly as her smile crept in within the cold room as she took the two pieces of cover art she liked and send them back to him.

"Have you considered submitting a proper manuscript? with the intention of doing a serialization under JAMP Magazine"

Alex simply smiled at the current predicament. This is what he was after, a small chance, but he knew the industry well. He knew a professional would have seen what he did and would suggest him to the heart of the industry, but it isn't time yet for him. He can wait.

‘What? Have you made a draft kid?’

Kameda felt that his ears had a problem hearing. Isn’t the Cover that was just done by him utter trash? Rubbish?  Why the hell is this woman asking for a draft now?! His cover got approved?! And she's asking for the draft?! What?! What is going on here?! why is this woman so favorable towards this kid? was it that good? I couldn't see it! She wanted him to submit a working serialization for a manga draft?!

"Thank you for your review Chief Editor."

Alex can only smile and stood up. From beginning to end, he didn't say much and kept smiling. This was absolute confidence in his strength. He didn't even look at Kameda and completely ignored him, Leaving that arrogant man aside, his objective was complete. He had garnered sufficient interest in the starting point of the industry.

Aya Gozen's had something to say to this kid here, but she didn’t expect him to leave, why the hell is he in such a hurry? Does he not care if his manuscript got approved? This man is unbelievable! This is the Editor in Chief of Satelight! if anyone did this at all here in Sapporo, they wouldn't be able to get into the industry ever again!

"Mr. Alex please wait!"

"What else do you need?"

Aya Gozen didn't know what else to say, so she said it directly and bluntly.

"The remuneration for the draft is too low, you can go back later, we still have some business to discuss... .. such as a contract with us."

"Sorry, my mother and sister are still waiting for me to go back. The phone number has been written on the note and I have inserted it inside the file bag. When the contract is ready you can contact me directly."

Alex said politely bowed, He simply got up towards the door to leave the office and then proceed to close the door behind him. Footsteps can be heard of him walking away towards the elevator. Everyone in the room was dumbfounded.  Who the fuck does he think he's messing with?! This kid is so infuriating! Kameda san does not like this kid one bit! a menace to the manga industry! Everyone around was utterly perplexed as well.

Wait, what just happened? Did that guy just diss "The" Aya Gozen and got away with it?

Everyone inside the office decided to break the cold atmosphere and just discuss among themselves what just happened. the offended person doesn't seem to mind, she simply stares at the exit with her cold unfettered icy look. There was a torrent of emotions going on through her mind right now " He's not what I expected" she thought to herself as she look at the manuscript from before still in her hands. This art style reminds him of Tochigi sensei and yet the expectation isn't the same.

 

24