Chapter 6 – Artwork Dilemma
1.8k 6 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

As the figure of Alex left, the cold harsh eyes of Aya seemed to have faintly softened with emotion and feelings. Something she hasn’t felt in a long time. When she came back to reality, she discovered that Kameda Mura was still in her office. Why is he here again?
  
"You, what are you doing here? Get out!"

Regaining her cold gaze, Her tone was cold as well,

"Editor-In-Chief, I don't understand! Why do you still accept his work when you called it garbage?" Kameda Mura was full of dissatisfaction at this one-sided favoritism towards that kid. Why is this bitch favoring that stupid kid? He couldn't understand any of her actions up to this point. it's just too contradictory to her Ice Queen and Monster Editor status!

"Are you trying to lecture me?"

Aya Gozen said coldly, trying to keep her distance from Kameda, she carefully picked up the drawings on the table and handed them to him. Her gaze fixated on him like a predator waiting to shred this dumb stupid lamb into oblivion. Kameda felt the pressure but tried to ignore it. After receiving the draft, at the first sight of it, Kameda Mura was shocked by the first Cover art that was drawn by that Alex kid.

  Great balance with thick and thin lines, the scaling of the background, the use of dots, and the perfect composition, together with the use of the red thread as the finishing touch, give it a feeling of beauty and closeness. One where fate has a way to find beauty even in disparity.
  
He was reluctant to say it, but just from this unpainted cover, it is already attractive enough to be called a proper Cover. And although you can feel some sense of odd strangeness in the draft, this is proof enough that this kid does have his father’s genius! The art is good, it catches and draws your attention using a Point blank technique, something artist often use in story telling but he does it to great effect.

He eagerly and greedily looked towards the next cover art, one after another, the latter two are far inferior to the first one, but they're also beautiful! How can such arts be called garbage?! This woman is mad! Utterly mad and insane! This is garbage? if this is garbage then his artwork is just pure trash, no..it's utter shit. Just pure manure. What is he trying to say? damn it! All of these editors are mad!

‘The three cover art is simply gold, although I don’t want to admit it, whether it’s the theme or the quality of the art, It's a masterpiece"

"This new kid’s work is as good, It's even better than his father’s, whatever it is, it's giving the impression of an experienced Mangaka, making people look forward to it with great eagerness! That Tochigi had taught a monster just like him? Quite unnerving indeed."

Kameda san didn't want to say it but it's the truth. He had to be honest, especially before this professional Editor. But she think differently than him, She didn't think this was enough.

“You think that this sort of level for him is good enough?”

It is really great for other people, I have to admit if he did come here under a pseudonym. It would be a masterpiece However, Tochigi Sensei is a genius Mangaka who debuted in the first year of college. Compared to his peak performance, these can only be said to be trash."

She said slowly and menacingly towards Kameda-san

“And that kid is someone who is trained under him, I have to set the standards"

"but-"

"Mess with him, and I'll deal with you myself, get out before I destroy you"

Kameda was simply taken back by her fierceness, She seems like she wants to kill him. but that predatory gaze draws back and focuses on the artwork once more, thus ignoring him.

Leave after you have done with the reviews and just leave it on my table, or are you still waiting for me to invite you to drink tea? Do you want me to end your career?"

Biting his lip, Kameda’s heart was very uneasy, but he still silently put down the drawings in his hand and squeezed his fists. This is extremely unpleasant, envy, jealousy, and even marvel at the sheer brilliance of this young man. He wanted all of it, the spark the talent, and the courage and audacity he had to face things forward. Those are none of the traits he had, and he abhors the kid for it. He just humiliated him before the Great Ice Queen herself. He won't let this slide by.

  ......

In the office, there is only one person in the cedar chair sitting on the recliner basking in the light of the dim office. Aya Gozen sat there alone still and icy. Her eyes were like an iceberg that gradually melted. As if they were like spring water flowing by the ground, with a satisfied smile on her face she took the draft and gently hugged it on her chest, fearing that she would break the draft.

"It's really great! His son has the same talents as him!"

Currently, she is the only person in the world who held the works of the son of Tochigi, She was simply happy that someone decided to bring Tochigi’s style and sharpen it and perfected his art. In the third year of high school, Aya Gozen was a fan of Alex’s father's works, After learning about the genius mangaka, she went to see and bought his works with curious interest.

It was so good, that even she was completely mesmerized and captured by the artwork of Tochigi at first glance. The superb and confident style of painting is not like the level of a freshman student! Back then, Tochigi aka Hiro Kenichi was one of the rare talents of the industry who breaks the boundaries of manga and created new genre's in the series. The most popular series was "Raindrops" a tale of an epic romance of brotherhood and true love. She too decided to draw. She too wanted to be a mangaka artist, and she was good at it.

From that moment on, this genius manga artist became a little fangirl in front of him!, and when she was in college, she chose to become an Editor and joined the editorial major, that one day, she want to be the editor of her favorite idol one day!

  But who knows, when she graduated from college at the age of 21 and became the editorial leader of the Satelight at the age of 22, he decided to retire and concentrate on his family, leaving the industry forever. He couldn’t paint anymore. During that period, Sheo felt that her life had become quite dull. And at what's the point, in the beginning, She started to become bitter and resentful of everything. When he passed away, it’s as if hope was shafted away, the only light of new works from Tochigi sensei simply wiped away. There was no longer bitterness, only cold sharp ice, hidden within her heart as it expands and grew even colder.

Until…today. That same brash brushstroke, those vivid lines, It’s so similar yet different just like a breath of fresh air, as if she could see the birth of a genius again 10 years later.

  "Oh! I might have been crude to him, that was just too cold-hearted towards Tochigi Sensei's son, won't he mind the attitude?"

Aya Gozen suddenly sat up and looked sad. He was younger than her, definitely younger. She knew that Tochigi sensei was already married, but she still couldn’t believe how handsome his son is. She technically had a crush on his father, who knew the son would be far more devilish and charming as well.

"That smile of his was so mesmerizing, So very handsome! I wonder how young he is? How old is he?"

In the office, the cold beauty had melted her facade. That face that has always been cold and poisonous has become a beautiful flower right now. If anyone familiar with her knows about this, if those people know, they will doubt what they were seeing, the Monster Editor, the Cold Beauty the Ice Queen of Satelight, was fangirling over a teenage boy.

.............

"I'm back."

When he was dragging my tired body back home, it was already 6:30 in the evening. He opened the door and replaced his formal shoes with indoor shoes. The whole house was cleaned up, although originally the house was not that dirty, the original house was rather unkempt. It now gives a very refined feeling. It was probably his sister or Ueno, he knew that the both of them like to clean the house.

"Hey, I’m back! Yukari, are you here?

Hearing the sound of opening the door, Yukari ran over and hugged his legs tightly. She's such a cute little sister, Alex just adores her new little sister, but he still couldn't get used to all the hugging just yet, she's too affectionate.

"Welcome back Oni-chan! How's your day?"

"Well, I’m back, the day was quite eventful.”

Yume Ueno was wearing an apron outside the school uniform skirt and took the dish out of the kitchen. According to his memory this is actually quite normal for her to do this, she often comes by and does the cleaning and cooking voluntarily, Alex almost wonders if this girl has a crush on him. Nah, that's just the old Alex imagination, new Alex the adult Alex from another world? see it as friends being friends. Probably?? he doesn't have a good track record with female interaction as well. Not that it matters anyway.

"I am sorry, your mother will be coming late today, she asked me a favor if I could cook for the family"

Alex looked at this girl and nodded graciously at her gesture.His past self never actually said it, but the current him is grateful that someone would take their precious time and take care of them without asking anything back. Alex is very grateful for this.

“Thank you for always coming over and cooking for us”

Alex simply smile at her when she blushed away,

"In return, will show me the drawings you did for the first time?" Ueno smiled.

"Well...uhh"

Alex is really embarrassed, after all, his works are borderline NSFW! Do you want to show your stuff to a young girl who is still young and pure? Panty shots? check, boob shots? thigh shots? check and check. what does it say? A pervert.

"That is not even a route I would want to take! But if she wants to, I could simply draw something less NSFW next. Ecchi drawings really are the bane of my existence right now..ugh"

"I am just joking, Alex, please enjoy my cooking, we will have dinner soon"

No girl, you aren't joking. I can tell you're not joking.

..........

In the evening, in a working studio in Sapporo's Winning Street, Kameda Mura is fuming mad as he threw his blank canvas to the ground! And smash it!

"Oh, that punk ass kid thinks he's some sort of Genius? A Genius?!"

Thinking about what has transpired today during the daytime, Kameda Mura dropped the brush from the table to the ground as he couldn't concentrate on drawing anything today, one of his assistants even stood by and said nothing, clearly scared of his boss's current outburst.

"Fuck that Genius kid! Even if you were a genius, So what?! Don't think I can't see it?! I'm a genius too! with that damn crippled hand what could you do?!"

Your hand is not completely recovered yet! How dare you come here and act like you own the manga scene! That busted handicapped hand will not work! Just because you can recover, do you think you deserve to be A mangaka artist just like your father? think again!"

Kameda Mura shouted at the ceiling

"Keep dreaming! Alex Kenichi! I'll definitely bury you alive!"

......
  
At the same time, in a Japanese-style single-family apartment room, a young woman remembered that she just met the once-famous  Tochigi's son during the day, (although it was really borderline hentai). Aya Gozen is happily hugging the pillow on her bed. Rolling away, the little face is full of exciting blush. She is a closet tsundere.

Who knew? Wearing only thin veiled pajamas, Aya did not know how many times she rolls around the bed as she did on her bed. She eventually came to gradually calm her excitement down, once she gradually calmed down, she stood up and took out the three illustrations on the bed. And look at it intently. Lying on the bed, looking at the draft, dragging the light, and seeing the third one from the first picture, the brow on her eyes can not help but wrinkle.

Comparing the first one with the third one alone, she couldn't help but sit up and bite the upper part of her red lips. From happy to worried. At this moment, she found a crucial problem with this sort of work, and this problem was neglected because she was too excited to see her new idol at work! And that is the hand injury he suffered during the car crash.

A mangaka is a faith-based profession based on highly technical and physical skills! The reason it is hard as a profession lies in these issues, There are two main reasons, First, it is too difficult to support yourself by painting mere comics. Even supporting the whole family it’s too much! It is estimated that one person in 10,000 people can make a living by drawing anime and manga. This industry isn't very self-sustainable without the proper support from merchandising and sponsor deals since only fans of the otaku industry will wanna join and be a part of these sorts of things. The will of being a Mangaka needs to be strong.

Second, drawing manga requires a lot of effort and strength from the author! Especially physical strength! You need to keep fit and healthy as a mangaka artist and an author!  Sometimes if you get stuck due to a cold, a comic can not be uploaded for two consecutive days, and naturally, there will be delays in submitting works in time. The schedule is disrupted, rankings go down the list goes on and on like a domino effect and eventually, the series will get the ax.

Aya is clearly sober from all that fangirling, She notices a key flaw in Alex's wellbeing. His current physical strength. if his health is unable to keep up, especially the hand injury, if he started to draw and paint again. It may aggravate the current injury. It doesn't matter how good the current doctor he's seeing right now, she can't afford him aggravating his injury.

Thinking of this, She started to worry about her new idol, she picked up the phone, the smartphone has all entries from the company contacts were placed before the keypad, Alex's number hovered over the smartphone interface, However, when she wanted to press the dial button on the screen,  Aya hesitated.

What should she say? what is the reason for the call? Should I simply call him to discuss business about the contract? Or is it for something else? something more private and intimate?"

Her heart is in a mess, for one she knew she really like this young man, almost borderline obsession, His art was just that amazing, or hold that potential to be greater and much much more, and the beautiful girl before her right now, her image is blurred between a fangirl and a proper editor. Finally, she pressed the lock screen button on the side of the phone. 

She chickened out and didn't make the call.

"sigh...maybe next time"

 

 

21