Chapter 9 – The One Shot Debut
793 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During lunch, Aya was staring daggers as she looked at Yume Ueno coldly, as for Ueno who found herself being watched by her? she simply smiled at her and ignored her stares obliviously, she then took a mouthful of white rice as if nothing was wrong enjoying it as usual. Alex's little sister Yukari simply ate her meal quietly without saying anything either she was busy typing on her phone about something, it was probably her friends. Everything is just peachy! totally normal, right? no, it's not. For some reason, Alex felt that the current atmosphere at the dining table seemed a little tense.

Before eating the meal, both girls Aya Gozen and Yume Ueno had already introduced themselves, Alex tried to hide what he drew and hoped that Aya wouldn't tell her at all about the manuscript, thankfully she understood and didn't say anything during lunchtime, there wasn't any talk. it was a very awkward meal.

After the meal, Both Alex and Aya wanted to help out with the dishes but Ueno simply refused them.

"Alex, you have a guest. Allow me to do all the trivial matter in this household."

Ueno Yumeko smiled sweetly and entered the kitchen with tableware and chopsticks, Yukari simply walked by and helped her out. Surprisingly, Alex's sisters get an Okay pass? this is too weird even for Alex.

But to Aya, this was a different matter, "What's up with this little chicken girl? that girl was marking the kitchen as her territory, so it's her household now? what is this? kitchen wars? Why do I feel so agitated?" for some reason, Aya Gozen felt quite offended by this teenage high school girl. what's up with her attitude anyway?

What does this little girl mean? Are you declaring sovereignty? Does Alex belong to you or something? The more she thought about it, the angrier Aya became. Under her icy and beautiful appearance, it seemed the room became a few degrees colder even if it was summer.

Alex could only watch from the sidelines, there seems to be something going on, he had an inkling of what was going on but that can't be right, can it? He's actually popular with girls? Nah...it's probably just his imagination, right? Right? that's what he tried to convince himself. Alex tries to get these unnecessary feelings and focus back on the reason why Aya came here, Lunch was over, it's back to business. Today has been a very weird day for him.

"Editor-in-chief, did you bring the contract?"

Alex tried to remind her after all, the contract still needs to be signed, otherwise, everything he does will be quite illegal. Japan has strict laws about pornography and especially child pornography. NSFW work falls on that, you needed the right licensing under a manga publishing company or release it under a company that has the proper paperwork with the relevant department here in Japan. It's not too hard since fanwork also falls under this category, you can simply apply it online and get approval with a small nominal fee, there are many ways to skirt around the laws to publish it, but not own it. It's a complicated process, just Japan being Japan.

Reeling back from her thoughts, Aya took out the contract from her bag and gave the contract to Alex. She reverted back to her Icy personality and hand him the contract, clipped and trimmed properly. The documents are all nicely packed into an envelope, she's very meticulous when it comes to her professionalism in the Industry. Alex almost feels inferior compared to his laissez-faire attitude as an Editor once upon a time back in his old world.

"Due to your outstanding presentation and artwork, our company would like to sign an exclusive contract under our Satelight company, the fact that you haven't published anything is of no concern. We are willing to pay double the price for the superior artwork you have given today, the money will be paid once the manuscript is published. we will send it directly to your bank card by tomorrow the soonest if possible"

"Thank you very much"

"This Contract is will only apply to your current work with the "My World" Project, if you have any further questions, you can ask me now or email your inquiries later, if you happen to have any more manuscripts just call me directly, I'll just come to your house to review it"

After looking over the contract, Alex signed his name, twice the payment, that's a thousand USD! 120 000 yen!, just for a single Oneshot manga publish for a Tankabon Event! , although the payment is not high, it's okay, it's definitely a start. Aya tried to persuade Alex once more as she sit closer to him.

"Will you not give this up? Shouldn't you concentrate on getting well first? With your physical strength and injury, you can't support a profession like being a mangaka artist! not for very long, it will be harder as the days go by"

Aya drove that point home, although her tone was not emotional, she was very worried for him, genuinely.

"If I give up, what am I going to do to support my family? how long will my mother last if she keeps working two jobs?" 

Alex said with a bitter smile, he knew his family isn't well off even if he did transmigrate here, while he does have a cheat, the cheat isn't almighty as he thought it would be, it still has some limitations, much of it still depends on his hard work.

"And editor-in-chief you don't have to worry about a single thing,  Within a month, I will recover my health again, trust me. After a month, you will really see what I'm capable of."

"Within a month are you sure? That sort of injury usually doesn't recover in a month, what sort of promise are you bullshitting here? Don't lie to me."

"I have my ways, you will see it soon, don't worry," Alex said curtly.

Aya was surprised at what Alex just said right now, what happens in a month?

"Are you going to participate in the Kokusai Manga Awards?"

The Kokusai Manga Shou Comic Awards is a comic selection competition held every two years in the ACG in Japan  The top three not only have generous cash rewards but the first place is also rewarded for being serialized in JAMP Magazine!

The headquarters of JAMP Magazine is located in Tokyo, Japan. It is one of the most famous magazines in Japan, although it cannot be as famous as Kadokawa or JS comics it's definitely one of the top ten manga magazines locally here in Japan.

Several years ago, His father's comics were serialized in JAMP magazine. The weekly popularity ranking has never dropped from the top five they say, But his father's works never reached first place. It's too bad he retired too early, Alex wanted to see what his father could do back then, now it's up to him to take up the mantle and reached no1 in JAMP, at least he wanted to win the competition if it's possible.

"What's wrong? Can't I join it?"

"Of course not! With your body and injury! It will definitely take a toll on your weak little body! not to mention that injured wrist!"

Aya stood up immediately, she tried her best to restrain her voice but couldn't afford to do so any longer, She could only stare at Alex, part of her was angry that he wanted to do so, this reckless bastard, to her he was just a little man still growing up, this skinny boy albeit very handsome is still very sickly and is unwell. She is terrified of his health. what if something happened to him? what if he quit drawing for good because he suffered permanent damage to his hand? In the worst-case scenario he couldn't draw ever again.

Alex didn't say anything, he simply just looked at her with a soft wide smile, her quirky personality really attracts him, she worried because she truly felt worried for him. This woman truly has a cute side of her, he can't help but just smile and wonder if he should just say yes.

Facing Alex's decision, looking at his firm eyes, Aya Gozen wanted to intervene but decided not to, Perhaps she wanted to see him overcome this. But there was still a lingering feeling in her heart. There seemed to be something shaking in her mind's eyes, What else did she want to say?  when faced with such a confident smile and such firm eyes that are beyond her years somehow, she was temporarily mesmerized by his sheer will and dedication. What's more, could she say as an Editor but to give it her all and support her artist from behind?

And, why? Why is it in my heart that I am so moved, yet so happy at the same time? Inadvertently, Aya remembered the emotion, shock, and obsession when she saw his manga for the first time, it gave her hope again. To see even more incredible works coming out of this 18-year-old young adult. She was a fan first, an editor second. She wanted to read more of his works. Her hunger yearns for it.

"Maybe...because I really really want to see what Alex can do, What he could draw in the future, it's rather exciting!" She grips her hand in frustration and relaxes, whatever he decides she will just have to monitor and not push him too far, if things get too dangerous, she will stop him.

"hmm? something wrong Editor-in-Chief? you're awfully quiet suddenly?"

Aya Gozen shakes her head as she sheepishly avoided his gaze with a slight blush on her face, Her icy gaze simply faltered before this young man, she didn't even try to hide her persona any longer. Ueno was listening from the kitchen, she didn't say anything but her eyes teared up. She too understood how hard Alex tries in the past few days. Yukari simply slept on the sofa, bored from all the boring talk after lunch. it was just them.

Aya straighten her back as Ueno came by and sat beside her. Ueno watch the two of them and looked toward Alex and said

"Don't push yourself, Alex, if you're going to do this, You must take care of yourself"

Aya nodded as well as she straighten her glasses and draw up a plan for him. Marking the date on her phone, the Kokusai Manga Shou Comic Awards is a good chance for a budding new artist like him to debut.

"If you insist on participating, I have no right to interfere, but please pay attention to your health and don't die on my suddenly okay! Your soul belongs to me now! You can't drop dead before I say you could! got that?!"

Aya Gozen was simply acting Arrogantly as she dropped the last sentence in her words, even Ueno was shocked and covered her mouth with that declaration, it was just too bold, as an 18-year-old high school student and a girl herself, she was shocked.

"Aah..you?"

carrying her bag, she took her bag and stormed off with her ears bright red and left his house. Alex stood by smiling there dumbfoundedly. What just happened? Did he just sell his soul to this Iceberg Queen? Alex could only smile as she looked at the front door wide open with her back walking away towards the corridor and leaving. A peculiar woman that one. Ueno could only mumble something underneath her breath

"Crafty old fox. humph!"

As Aya walked down and out towards the main street, She covered her face in embarrassment at what she just said.  but her heart flutters as she walked away holding the contract tightly. She can feel that something good will happen in the future of the industry from now on.

then she realize she said that to his face, her face blushed and she scream internally

"Kyaaaa!!! why did I say that?! Why the hell did she say that? your soul belongs to me now?"

Her embarrassment carries over the evening as she rush back home, she couldn't afford to show herself in office like that. It was simply too embarrassing.

Back at home, Alex could only stare at the door when she left, Ueno also got up and left, she was angry for some reason

"Ueno-san?"

She turned back towards him and said

"Alex-Kun baka!"

She quickly ran back home towards the next door and slam the door. Alex was left there staring. What the hell did he do? I Didn't ask for this! Alex could only rub his back and closes the door. His mother will be back later anyway, he proceeded to go back to his room and kept drawing and practicing. He had nothing to do anyway. Girl problems, why does it have to be girl problems? Can't he just focus on his manga make a lot of money and then have girl problems? Nobody wants girl problems when you're a broke-ass high school kid.

Sigh...life is so complicated, I wonder how the previous Alex lived his life? how the hell does a popular guy like him even get ostracized in school and bullied in school?"

Alex kept scribbling on the notebook, he drew 2 girls fighting over a guy and then scratches it. It's bleeding into the real world, his mental state is in a mess, being 18 and having all these stupid hormonal urges again, it's annoying.

...........................

The next morning, Alex was woken up by the sound of a text message. he turned on his phone and looked at it. the message has shown that he received 120 000 yen inside his bank account. And this means that it is clear that his manga has been posted on the Internet right now. It was up for sale.

Alex looked at the time, but it was eight in the morning. It is expected that he will get the manuscript fee today, and Ueno will be resting for the whole day today, so he planned to take Ueno and his sister out on an outing, one to pay Ueno back for all she had done for his family, and secondly, to take his sister out and have fun for the summer.

he messaged Ueno and she agreed, today they will go out on an outing. He woke up his sister and set up a simple breakfast. His mother was already out to work. He smiled softly as he looked at the empty chair in his mother's place. He will wire the money to her soon, it's not much but at least it's something later on. Today, however, they are going out for the day.

During this day, several people had a great time playing outside. Due to the consideration of Alex's current living conditions, Ueno always wanted to share some of the economic pressure that Alex is facing but was rejected by him, how could he ask a girl who's living alone to take care of his family? He couldn't ask. He dares not ask for it.

For today's plan, Alex wants to spend some time with his friend Ueno and thank Ueno Yumeko for taking care of him for a long time! and taking care of his sister and mother when they needed someone the most. besides, he's a guy, how could a guy ask a girl to pay for him? that's not very nice. Not very gentlemanly either. His mother wouldn't have approved of it either. 

In the shopping mall, Alex bought a few sets of clothes for the two girls, as he was thinking about buying something for Ueno Yume to express his gratitude, but considering that this little girl would definitely refuse, He bought something secretly anyway as a gift.  In the end, Alex choose the safest option and bought her a white dress and gave it to Ueno. Ueno tried to refuse of course, but it was already been paid.

They were just minding their own business in the mall when unexpectedly Ueno tapped his shoulders and pointed towards the bookstore. There, he saw his name on the stand.

There was a huge crowd. Something was going on here. Why was his name on the advertising board of a bookstore? Oh..could it be? It's his My World Oneshot debut, isn't it?

 

15