Chapter 11: Noble Blood
27 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day was dawning. Onaki was already awake, and I could smell her preparing breakfast for us. I stretched for a moment and let out a big yawn. Then I got up and left the bedroom, and headed towards the kitchen. Fried eggs with bacon she had prepared for both of us.

''That looks delicious, can I eat from it?"' I asked her hesitantly with a growling stomach. She smiled heavenly and nodded. I sat down on the table with her. We were facing each other. ''Bon appetit!" we both shouted and started eating the fresh dish of eggs and bacon.

I ate pretty distinguishedly. Probably it was because of my noble blood. Onaki recognized it immediately and couldn't help laughing. ''You are of noble blood, am I right? Only nobles eat like that!'' she shouted, exposing me. I couldn't help it. I was used to this way of eating.

''Yes, I come from a noble family. Before my homeland was wiped out, I was still a prince, you know?'' I replied to her in an annoying voice and saw that she mimicked me to tease me.

''Dear prince, could you pass me the salt?'' she replied, giggling and teasing me. Somehow I thought her behavior was cute and just let it happen. Sighing, I handed her the salt. I ate the last bite of bacon and thanked her for the food, and pushed my chair to the table. Today, we had to train, and we had to do it very caring and thoughtfully. Every day meant death, and that snubbed me deeply. I left the old hut of the angelic being already and got ready to meet beasts in the Inazuma forest.

A few seconds later, Onaki came out of the hut and followed me. What kind of beasts might be here? In case of need, we had our healing potion. It would also be beneficial if we could learn a protection spell to fend off attacks with ease and avoid significant injuries, I thought to myself. Onaki beat me to it and took a book from the hut full of spells. ''Is there a spell in this book that works as a barrier? That would be an advantage for us so that we could reduce any damage,'' I answered her resolutely and convinced.

The Book of Spells had a protection spell, but the book described the attack as consuming an unnecessary amount of energy. So our goal was to improve and increase our energy efficiency.

''Let's go deeper into the forest and try a pair of spells on beasts,'' I told Onaki and took her by the hand, tugging her into the forest. Step by step, we went deeper into the Inazuma forest, and as soon as we arrived, we heard a roar from a primordial creature called ''Ursus''. It was a hybrid of a wolf and a bear.

Unfortunately for us, this creature was, even so agile that it attacked Onaki before she could react. ''Lord of Toughness, please lend us your protection!'' I shouted before the Ursus' claw could strike Onaki's face.

It was parried, and a barrier enveloped Onaki. However, I could not maintain the barrier for long and dissolved it again.

Half exhausted, I now cast the same spell as yesterday on ''Hell's Blade!" I shouted resolutely but gasped. Again, an incredible heat formed in my hand and the sword of flaming hell. The Ursus ran at me this time. As nimble as he was, I just grazed him in the eye. The Ursus roared in pain and became furious. It opened its mouth wide and shot a light projectile at me. This time, Onaki just managed to save me with the protection spell.

''You are invaders. This forest rejects your existence, humans!" the Ursus told us in a monstrous voice. Shortly after, it took a swing and hit Onaki in the leg with one of its claws. She screamed in pain and exhaustion. I had to try again. This time I had to hit it directly at heart, I thought to myself and cast the spell of the Hell's Blade a second time. That was my limit. I could do no more. This spell had to hit. Otherwise, we were lost.

Determined, I ran toward the Ursus and screamed at the top of my lungs. ''We can't die now! I'm sorry, Guardian of the Inazuma Forest, but we must live!'' I shouted to the Ursus, tense and determined, and hit it directly with the blade in my hand. I split the Ursus in half. The creature was dead right after the edge left its torso to separate.

I fell to my knees, gasping and exhausted. That was very close, and we almost died, I thought to myself and was lost in thought. I forgot that Onaki had an intense cut on her left leg. I, therefore, propped myself up and crawled over to Onaki. She was breathing quite heavily and losing a lot of blood. The bottle with the bluish liquid! Barely without thinking, I opened the bottle for her and let her drink half of it.

Fortunately for us, the open-cut closed again, and she could stand again. We were left with only half of this potion. It was my fault for giving in to my impulsiveness and rushing straight into danger. ''Please forgive Onaki. You would have died because of me...'' I replied to her sadly, my eyes filled with tears.

She gently slapped me on the head and didn't mind. She understood my rush to master the spells as quickly as possible, all too well. After all, human lives were at stake.

2