Chapter Thirty-Nine: Convincing a Hardhead
2.1k 23 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat on the floor sobbing tears of joy.

Suddenly a question was asked, halting the liquid flowing from my eyes and my jubilation along with it.

“I don’t understand, my dear. You are who?” the pink-haired lady, presumed to be Ms. Azalea asked.

She strode towards me, picking me up from the floor.

As she lifted me, I took a better look at her.

She had sleek pink hair that shone with an iridescent gleam, a gorgeous face, and a pair of candy corn horns sticking out her forehead. One of the horns had been through some sort of trama, being completely cracked. Her eyes glimmered a pretty copper color. 

She seemed to be a few inches taller than my master, so she had no issue picking me up.

“I’m A-.” I tried to say, the name that I despised getting caught in my throat.

“Slow down,” she consoled me, wiping away the tears on my face. “ Take a deep breath and try again.”

“She’s saying she is Adim,” My master said, butting in.

“What? Is that true?” Ms. Azalea asked me seemingly dumbstruck.

“There’s no way!” My mother, who had been silent up until this point, suddenly shouted.

I felt Ms. Azalea flinch in response to the outburst. She then put me down and moved toward my mother.

The dark-haired lady turned her attention towards the golden dragonoid.

“What’s this about Murua?” she growled. “It’s not like you to make such a twisted joke.”

The dragon lady shook her head in denial.

“Your right, I would never take it this far, I’m as confused as you are, Asabela.”

“Then how did she know our names! Did she look in the Book of Loss?” Mama screamed, physically shaking as Ms. Azalea restrained her.

‘So it really is them. Mama’s new name is Asabela…pretty. And what’s the Book of Loss?’

“No, she never had access to the book,” Murua replied. “ As a matter of fact, it wouldn’t even matter if she did. Maua can’t read.”

“And you still claim to have no part in this?!”

“I don’t. I have no clue what’s going on!” Murua said, her voice rising.

“Let’s calm down, you two,” Ms. Azalea intervened. “Yelling at one another will get us nowhere fast.”

‘Wow. How nostalgic. Ms. Azalea was always the one to deescalate things between the two of them…though I don’t remember them being angry disputes.’

She turned to me, a small smile present on her face.

“Since Rua had nothing to do with it, yet seems to believe…Maua, was it? And Bela and I don’t believe her…there’s only one thing to do. Ask her something only Adim would know. If she answers all three of them correctly, then she is in fact who she says she is. Otherwise, we crush her dead on the spot.”

“Ugh, really sis?” Master facepalmed. “Isn’t that the most cliche thing possible in this scenario? And not to mention incredibly stupid.”

‘Ah, that’s right. Ms. Azalea is generally the most sensible one out of the three of them, but she’s an avid reader. Meaning she’s a complete sucker for certain tropes and even cliches and will throw all logic out the window when an opportunity to use them appears. This is going to be a pain, but if it’s necessary to convince them, so be it.’

Ignoring her sister, Ms. Azalea looked at me, nonverbally asking for my consent. 

I nodded my head in affirmation.

“I’ll go first then,” she grinned. “What was the phrase that I always told Adim, and what was my nickname for him?”

I frowned, thinking that I had been scammed into two questions.

‘Wait! I remember, they go hand in hand.’

“Spread your wings and fly, my angel,” I answered confidently, as I attempted to fight off a blush.

I was rewarded with a gasp from my mother and a dazzling smile from Ms. Azalea.

“Well, I guess I should go next,” my master sighed. “Maua, what three things did Adim and I agreed reign supreme over their counterparts?”

“That’s easy. Left-handedness over right, strawberry ice cream over chocolate, and Immortal Konflict over Road Battler.”

“Yep, yep, and yep,” She nodded. 

The dragonoid looks toward my mom. 

“Are you still not convinced Asabela? Was either my or Myri’s question not good enough?”

“Hmph,” the dark-haired lady pouted. “As if.”

I focused on her, taking account of her appearance as I waited for her to ask her question.

She had long dark brown hair, and a stunning face with a rune in the same place as mine. Looking closely at her skin it looked like everywhere except her face was covered in what looked to be uniformed stretch marks. Her cutest feature had to be the ‘ears’ that were on her head. They seemed to be fins of some sort, but they flicked and moved according to her mood, which was one of the cutest things ever.

“Fine. If you really are who you say you are, why did I give you the nickname Riot?”

“It’s because of that time I got in trouble in Kindergarten. I enticed the other kids into revolting against the teachers just because I thought it was funny.  I was going to get in major trouble but you somehow convince the school board to let me off relatively easy. You scolded me harshly until you were convinced that I understood my mistake. Suddenly you stopped lecturing and started to giggle. You gave me one of the prettiest smiles ever and said ‘You’re a riot, aren’t you?’“

Her eyes began to tear up as my brief explanation.

“Is it really you?” she asked, fighting to hold back her tears.

“Yes, Mama,” I nodded.

She opened her arms.

“Come here,” she said with a smile on her face and tears flowing.

I didn’t hesitate to jump into her embrace.

She proceeded to hug me tight and smother my face in kisses.

After a couple of minutes, she was somewhat satisfied, as she looked up at the other two.

“Come on you two! Group hug!” she shouted, a complete one-eighty from the personality she had before.

The two siblings rushed over, joining in the hug.

I don’t know how long we stood there, enraptured in the joy of seeing each other again.

Eventually, the moment was broken as Mama spoke up.

“So your name is Maua now?”

“Mhm. Well, yes,” I replied.

“Hmph,” she pouted, reaching over and pulling on my cheeks.

“Whay arr chu pulching on mai cheeks. Itch churts,” I protested through it.

“I didn’t get to name you in your last life, and you let someone name you again in this one?!”

“Buch itch wah Mich Murchua.”

“Hmm? It was Murua?”

"Mhm," I nodded aggressively. 

“Well since it was one of my best friends, and it's a pretty name, I’ll allow it.” Mama decided, letting go of my face.

I rubbed my cheeks as an idea popped into my head.

“Well, that’s the name of my other form, I think it would be nice to have a different one for this one, just so the two can easily be distinguished, rather than something stupid like Spirit Form Maua.”

Her pink eyes lit up as she understood what I was implying.

“In that case, if it ain't broke don't fix it. How about Riot? Ri or Rio for short?”

“Love it.”

“Works for me.”

The other two gave their consent. 

“I accept,” I replied.

“Well then Riot,” Mama stopped emphasizing the new name. “We have a lot of catching up to do!”

Ah, I love how ironic the title is. Asabela as the species that she is being a hardhead is hilarious to me. Anyways, howdy folks! Another chapter, somewhat tying up the reunion of the family. Oh yeah, I got the idea for the book of loss(which will be discussed a bit further) from a comment. I tried looking for it earlier, but I couldn't find it, I'll look again at some point but shoutout to who it was, you know who you are. Love you! Anyways, I hope you enjoyed. In other news, I've been doing some research on different species and I've learned a lot of cool stuff. On starfish in particular. They give off big protagonist energy, to the point where I'm actually considering retconning Mayari as a starfish and legitimately making a story about her. Nothing's even close to being set into action, as I have about a bajillion ideas in my brain, but I figured I should at least test the waters. Would anyone be mad if I sort of replaced starfish Mayari  a girl with the same personality, possibly a different name and a different species, maybe an anglerfish or something? Let me know! Otherwise, thanks for reading!

96