CH.425 The Weapons Competition, part 2
320 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I confirmed that Karl had fallen asleep, I got up from bed to do a bit of emergency preparations. Just because I now know that there are assholes here.

I was going to reset the cards on everyone here. … and you know, actually set something on Karl, as he didn’t have any set cards on him. Even Cina and Molly both only had two. Unika and Wilma do both have five, I’ll just have to adjust them a bit. I don’t want to kill anyone after all, so binding traps will be much better than a Mirror Force.

 

The first line of defense was a copy of Negate Attack, which should solve most problems we will face. But in case it doesn’t, it is followed by a combo of Waboku and Cyber Shadow Gardna. Cyber Shadow Gardna is nice because it summons a creature to defend whoever was attacked and it is always as powerful as the attacker, so it should hold its own. And if it isn’t destroyed, it will reset itself for a second use.

After that, there were still Spellbinding Circle and Shadow Spell ready to bind up whomever was dedicated enough to go through the previous defenses.

Spoiler
 
[collapse]

I honestly don’t expect anything beyond Negate Attack ever activating, but I won’t take any chances. There is a full chance of someone attempting to kidnap one of my dwarves after their weapons are shown to the world. Or someone might want one of my centaurs. And neither is acceptable, so this is an appropriate defense.

But now, time for bed. 

 


 

The next day was another waiting day. There was nothing really going on for us, so I quickly flew to HomeBase in Victory Viper so that I could take part in Blood Magic lessons and just see to the management of HomeBase.

I even ended up spending the night there, because Alice and Lua wanted me to.

 


 

On my flight back to Smorog, I had Wilma recap what they did yesterday. It was nothing that special, and they hadn’t gotten into any trouble.

 

But yesterday’s nothingness aside, today is the day. The weapons competition is here and two of us are really excited. Not that I’m not, but I don’t think I can compare to the two dwarves.

Even Unika was looking forward to seeing the weapons. For an adventurer, weapons are important so maybe Unika wants to see what the best of the best really is. Let’s just hope there is a bow or two on show today.

 

The competition took place in a large amphitheater-like building that had been dug into the side of a mountain. It came with regular seats that were not quite free, but the cost was only about 2 copper coins, so almost free. 

We weren’t in regular seats though. Between me ‘sponsoring’ two competitors and also just throwing a bit more money at the people running the show, my group got a nice box of our own. With room service and everything. Real VIP treatment here.

We were also nice and close to the stage, so we will have a very nice view of everything that is going on.

 

I paid somewhat close attention as people were coming into the amphitheater and spotted a few people I knew. … Well, I didn’t really know-know them, but I had seen them previously and recognized them.

First person of importance was Claus, and again, not the System Support Claus, but Wilma’s teacher Claus. He wasn’t visible for long because he entered some backstage area, so I don’t think Wilma spotted him. But I certainly did. … and honestly speaking, if Wilma wasn’t as nervous as she is, she likely would have as well. Not many people here are over 2 meters tall and built like … I don’t actually know who I should compare Claus to.

The second was Hugo and his group. I made sure to keep an eye on him, because I just don’t trust him. So as he took his place in the regular seats, I made sure to make note of where his group was sitting.

The last person I found interesting was the owner of the store I bought some platinum and palladium from. He also had the store appraiser with him, who happened to be the person who told me about this competition. So when I noticed that they had their own room just two doors down from us, I decided to pay them a quick visit.

I told my group as much and headed to their box.

 

I didn’t spend too much time there, but I may have spoken about business just a bit. I mean, it isn’t my fault that I want to at least consider getting closer relationships with the people that can supply me with orichalcum materials. 

I also thanked the appraiser for recommending us to take part in the competition and told them to look forward to what my smiths have cooked up.

 


 

“Welcome, one and all, to the annual weapons competition of Smorog!” An announcer called out to the audience. “This year, we have some of the best weapons yet, made by smiths and crafters skilled enough that perhaps they could even make a legendary weapon.” 

… only if you knew.

“Made from metals dug up by Smorog’s wonderful miners and processed by our amazing alchemists.” 

Oh? So they have alchemists processing the ore? Didn’t know that. I assumed that was done by the smiths themselves.

 

“But without further ado, let me introduce you to the five judges of this year's competition.” The announcer kept going. “First is our weapons master. The wandering elf who has shown time after time why he is considered one of the best sword wielders in the world. Saito Hajime.”

 

The sword master walked to the stage along with an applause from the audience.

He, as the announcer said, was an elf, which means I can’t really judge his age, as I just don’t know elves that well. But he was kind of tall, around 190 cm, with quite thin body structure. Definitely looks like a person who would move quickly and slice things up efficiently, instead of someone that gets into long, drawn out fights.

 

“Second. Our great miner has once again agreed to judge these weapons for us. So please welcome the great miner Aron!” The announcer said, as the next person walked to the stage.

Aron was a dwarf and he was quite short, even by dwarf standards. He stood no taller than 110 cm. … and with the average height of a dwarf being around 140 cm, that is on the shorter side.

 

“Third. A skilled craftswoman. Lady Majken.”

Just as the announcer said, the next person was the first female judge. She was also a dwarf, and guessing by how she was introduced, she is likely a craftswoman by race. But despite the fact that she is a dwarf, she didn’t have a beard, which I found interesting. Almost all dwarves, females included, have beards. So I just wonder why she doesn’t? Is she too young or is it because she shaves?

Also the announcer called her ‘lady’, so she might be the daughter of someone important.

 

“Fourth. Our biggest blacksmith and one that teaches the future generations how to strike metal into shape. Welcome to the stage, Claus!”

As his entrance was announced, Wilma launched up from her seat and to the front of our box, almost like she couldn’t believe that her old teacher was one of the judges.

Claus also gathered the loudest applause thus far. Maybe because he is basically a giant next to dwarves, or maybe because he just is that good, but the audience seemed to love him.

 

“And the fifth and the last judge. The enchanter, Stina.”

The fifth judge was a human, or maybe a half-elf. Kind of difficult to say. She looked to be around 30 something and based on the introductions, she specializes in enchanting items, which is interesting.

… I won’t say I don’t want her working on HomeBase, because I kind of do. We don’t have a dedicated enchanter on staff, and I think we could use one. Maybe I can ask her if she wants a job later, though I honestly doubt it. But she might know someone who does.

 


 

Then, the weapons competition began. The submitted weapons were brought to the judges, details about them would be told to the audience, including detailed appraisal. Sometimes one of the judges would show it off extra well and so on.

The interesting part, which I didn’t know, was that if a weapon had a sponsored entrance, the sponsor's name was announced. In total, around a quarter of the weapons had a sponsor, so it wasn’t rare by any means. And those backed by a sponsor were on average much better than those that aren’t.

 

There were definitely some interesting weapons entered into the competition. My current favorite was a hihi'irokane sword that will light on fire when you put mana into it. I mean, it is a flaming blade, so it is kind of amazing.

 

But next up was a weapon I needed to pay some extra attention to.

“Next. From the blacksmith Hugo, and his assistant Rin. They have given us their blood iron sword to show.” The announcer said.

Wait? Hugo made something with blood iron? That is kind of cool. I wonder if that Rin girl is the dhampir that helped him. I should offer to cure her.

 

The judges spoke a bit about the sword, but as the detailed appraisal records of it were read out, Wilma began to shake.

“... That sword. … It’s mine.” She said.

“Really? How can you tell?” I asked.

“I can’t really, but it is exactly the same. You should know. Doesn’t Tahlia record every weapon ever made on HomeBase? That is one of the first blood iron weapons I made. You gave it to Lawrence to sell.”

I quickly asked Laura and Tahlia to confirm it, and indeed all of the appraisal results matched up to a sword Wilma had made. 

 

“... should I step in? If it is yours, it should have your signature on the tang.”

“Don’t.” Karl said. “... it has been bothering me since it happened, but the blade he stole from me. … it should have had my signature. I think he erased it somehow and carved in his own. That is likely what is going on with that sword as well.”

“... Yeah. I can see that. You could probably use Metal Magic to erase the signature.” I commented.

“... yes, you could.” Wilma confirmed. “It wouldn’t even be difficult.”

“So we just have to let him get away with stealing another sword?” Karl asked.

“... depends.” I said. “I’ll ask Hugo about it later, but for him to make a blood iron weapon, he would need a dhampir working with him. I can offer to cure said dhampir. If he refuses, we might be able to prove that he is a fake.”

“There is another way.” Wilma said. “The HomeBase mark. It isn’t carved, but etched, so it is more difficult to erase. Or at least he can’t erase it the same as a carved signature. Besides, do you think he knows what it is? He might just think it is an imperfection in the metal.”

 

As Wilma said that, I could feel a smirk forming on my face. Even if we can’t prove that the sword is … would it count as stolen or plagiarist? I think plagiarist.

So even if we can’t prove that the sword is plagiarism, we can prove that he is using an emblem of a noble family without permission. And that is already against the rules of the competition. And even better, I’ll be able to demand half of the sword's sale value after it is sold in the auction, so since Hugo likely purchased it, he would be down a lot of money because he will only get half.

But let’s wait to ruin him until later, because there are still a few more weapons for show.

 


 

“Next up. A beautiful shield made by Craftswoman Wilhelmina. This piece is sponsored by Brian Wood, an Honorary Noble from the Kingdom Ruiso.”

Wilma’s shield didn’t receive the biggest reaction as it was brought onto the stage, that was until the appraisal results were read out.

“Made from an unknown metal known as … alum … aluminium? Edged with hihi'irokane, this piece is light, yet durable.” An appraiser announced. 

That got the audience both excited and perplexed. I mean, we did bring something that hasn’t really been seen before to the competition, so it is understandable.

 

The appraisal results for the shield were decent. Its durability is good, but not amazing. The + defense it has is on the lower side for a shield its size. And just otherwise it isn’t that special. … well, except for that one fact that makes it amazingly special.

 

“And, for the last part, the shield can take in magic spells, completely negate them, and turn them into healing energy for whomever carries the shield!” The appraiser called out.

That part really got the audience going. And this time for an even better reason. I mean, something on that level must be unheard of on basically anything that isn’t legendary.

 

This resulted in the claim being tested, so Claus ended up being the one holding the shield, because he volunteered, while the enchanter judge fired a few weak spells at the shield, confirming that it works as advertised.

And the best part of this, I could see Hugo’s face turn red in anger as the shield presentation was going on. He must have recognized the maker’s name and gotten extremely angry realizing that the sword he plagiarized is just a throwaway weapon for Wilma.

 


 

There were a few more weapons between Wilma and Karl’s pieces, so the angry red face on Hugo went down a bit.

That was until Karl’s sword was brought up the judges to … well, judge.

 

“A powerful greatsword made by Blacksmith Karl. This piece, like the shield that impressed us all earlier, is sponsored by Brian Wood, an Honorary Noble from the Kingdom Ruiso.”

 

Again, the appraisal results were read out and when people heard that Karl’s sword was made of vampiric steel, some understandable murmurs began to make waves in the audience.

“That is impossible!” Someone, not Hugo, eventually called out. “No one has been able to make vampiric steel since the great war! That sword must be an old piece!”

“Yeah! No way it could have been made recently!”

 

A chorus of similar yells came out of the audience, but luckily one of the judges was able to bring them to a close. That judge just so happened to be Claus. 

“Enough!” Claus called out. “I understand your hesitation, but I implore you to be quiet. If you are claiming that this sword is indeed something made before the war, then I ask you, do you really believe that this competition would have appraisers so bad that they’d let a four hundred year old sword pass as something that was made just recently? Because if you do, why are you here?”

 

That got most of the audience to shut up, so the judging on Karl’s greatsword could continue.

It did manage to cause a second, although lesser, uproar as the sword’s ability to turn into a shield was revealed. But between Claus simply standing up again, and explaining that all blood iron and vampiric steel weapons are known to be able to change forms when handled by a dhampir or a vampire, people quieted down.

 


 

By the end of the judging, to the surprise of either no one, or everyone, Wilma’s shield got first place. The first place was given to her shield because of the ability to absorb magic and heal the holder.

The second place ended up going to the hihi'irokane sword that could light on fire, and Karl’s greatsword/shield got the third position.

 

And as the rewards were being handed out, the next mind blowing revelation ran through the amphitheater, as many of the people present likely had a System screen appear before them.

System Announcement.
 
The skill suggestion of System Support Holder Brian Wood has been accepted and implemented.
New skills: Designing and Mental Visual Designing have been added to the System.
You are shown this announcement as you qualify for one or both of these skills, and they have been added to your status.

“... well, I didn’t expect that…”

God I love having Brian cause accidental chaos.

Also, sorry that I didn't mention more weapons, I just didn't come up with anything that interesting and it would have just been useless filler anyway.

14