Chapter One: Waking Up To A New World
57 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first thing I noticed after waking up was how heavy my chest felt. How breathing felt so laborious, the constant motions of inhaling air only to expel it out again. Looking back, had I known that this would be the last sensation I would feel again for a while- I would have taken such physical discomfort as a blessing.

It took me a while to understand that I wasn't in my old room. My room would never be so lavish. It wouldn't look as beautiful and pristine as this room did. Heavy curtains. Tapestries. A four-pole wooden bed frame. Sheets that looked way too expensive for me to afford. This room looked like it came straight out of an old Victorian period drama.

The sound of the door made me sit up on the bed, my back relying on the support of the headboard. There was a gasp. Before I could figure out who it was, the figure went scattering away leaving the door ajar. I tried to peer my head a little to see what was outside, but my body refused to move.

My first thought at that moment was: Did I- Did I get paralyzed?

Before I could give it more thought, a navy blue haired middle aged man and ashy silver haired woman entered the room. The colours did strike me as odd, but their eyes were a whole other story- sunken as if there had been no sleep for the last few days. Upon meeting my eyes, their expressions changed to that of relief. They rushed over to my bedside and gave me the biggest hug I have ever received.

“Davina,” the silver-haired woman cried. “Thank Qemis that you’re alive.”

Davina? 

“Your mother and I,” the man whispered, hugging tighter, “were so worried, Davina.”

Davina? again. That's not my nam-

I opened my mouth to tell that they were mistaken but it refused to budge. Instead, I felt tears streaming down my cheeks.

Wait- what?

“Mama, Papa,” I heard my mouth say as I wiped the tears, “I’m sorry for making you worry.”

Mama? Papa? Those are not the terms of endearment I use for parents.

“Oh, Davina,” mama snuggled my head on her chest, “you needn’t worry about that. We’re just glad you’re here. Your brothers-”

“DAVINA!” There was a yell before the owner of the voice ran inside panting. Another figure followed in after.

“-are here,” mama completed with a smile on her face as she let go of me.

The two people who just ran in, I’m guessing are Davina’s brothers. They looked exactly like the parents- The tall one with ash silver hair and the shorter one with hair a mix of silver and the darkest of blue. I couldn't tell if they were older but the concern on their faces was something I couldn't miss. These family members, as I could see, cared about this Davina. 

“Jasper, Paxton,” I heard my mouth say, “I’m fine. You guys don’t need to be worried.”

Their face and body relaxed. Taking out a sigh of relax, the taller one proceeded to hug me as tightly as mama and papa did. I could tell he was strong because I felt like my organs were being squeezed.

“We were worried,” says the taller one. So I’ve been told. “You were unconscious for days. I shouldn't have let you-”

“Brother, please don’t. She’s fine now,” the shorter one replied much too quickly for me to understand let me- what?.

“Okay, now,” papa coughed, while mama gently caressed the top of my head. “It’s not good to crowd around her. Leave her to rest.”

But before that, could anyone tell me what happened?

“Davina,” mama said softly, “it was a scary time for the family. Your condition was getting worse by the day. We called the mages, the healers, the magicks, and were even suggesting calling the heretics to wake you up.”

The what?

“You were unconscious. Almost thought you’d never wake up.” Her voice grew serious all of a sudden, the fear and concern flickering in her eyes. “You almost drowned. ”

I don't understand. I didn't drown. The last I remember was- Wait. I can't remember.  

“From now, your mother and I have decided," papa spoke now, "that you are not to walk anywhere near the forest or the lake. The guards will see to it that you don’t lay a foot there.”

“Papa-” 

“We can’t risk almost losing you again.” His voice stern and low. "This was a close call, Davina. We're doing this for your sake."

“Yes, papa."

"Now get some rest, will send for a magick once you feel a little more at ease. We still need to rule out any sort of disturbances." 

One by one they left leaving Davina to rest. And now I could finally try to make sense of whatever was happening to me.

 

Hey! Thanks so much for reading. I really appreciate it ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ 

Okay, so the story begins now and I just wanted to say that certain terms that characters use will be described in the glossary. I will be updating it regularly with the progression of the story. If it is too confusing, please let me know then I can figure out a better way to make it clear.

-kallistoclesx

 

 

 

4