|| Chapter 8: Meeting (II) ||
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Let's make a deal mister fairy"

Fil heard this sentence a minute ago before he spoke. He didn't reply yet and he knows if he wouldn't speak at this moment it would be his loss.

"What deal? I haven't told you what I needed yet, right?"

"That's true, though it's better if you would explain further, I already have some guesses about it. If I am correct, it's about your task as a fairy right? You want me to comply with it." Ciel said with a straight face, still holding the warm mug elegantly. And what he thought was on target. That's exactly their agenda for today's meeting.

"That's right, it's one of my tasks. Let me explain it properly this time." Fil took a deep breath before explaining. Last time they talk Fil knows he’s being mysterious and acting very suspicious. If he’s in Ciel's position he wouldn’t believe at least a word the other would speak. Ciel, though not very open to others, is actually a soft-hearted person and would try to understand others' situations before he acts. The way he behaved last time he talked with Fil is because he is still suspicious and was actually worried why the other would enter his house without his permission.

"Hundreds of thousand years ago, we were just spirits, to be specific, its my ancestors who were spirit. Then we were named by our first masters. Even before humans exist, my ancestors already existed. They existed together with the old residents of Earth. But when other races was born, those said masters disappeared together with their partnered spirits. My ancestors only came back when God ordered them to help the humans during the era of calamities and wars between the human kingdoms. Then they were named as Fairies. They are total of four Fairies, each went to respective kingdom to guide. That's their very role until the humans misunderstood. They prayed, wished, and asked every single day. My ancestors were too good to them, they granted everything, as long as they can." Fil told the history of fairies to Ciel.

"In the book you've read.... I think it's my ancestors who wrote it, like a human journal. It is said there they were punished by God when they meddled with the human race, to the point they changed the race's evolution against the natural law. That's where ABO genes were created. The human genes were altered. Many humans suffered because of the misuse of the granted magic. The four fairies faced the punishment together– their incomparable magic was taken, but even that wasn’t enough… They were held responsible forever. The people who lost lives because of it, the people who experienced cruelty because of it,  the people who suffered because of it– the fairies need to be accountable for what happened. So we were given a task. And we will never be able to get our magic back until all the tasks are completed. "

Fil talked for a long time so his throat suddenly felt dry. He drank some tea from the cup sitting in its forever partner- the saucer. He looked at Ciel seriously listening to him and then started to continue his explanation.

"One of those tasks I said is getting the 'fated mates' together again, and the other is to find a perfect mate for people without the 'mark'- symbolizing they have fated mates in their last life." Fil stopped a moment when Ciel raised his right hand low. When Fil stopped, Ciel then said out loud his thoughts.

"I understand how Fairies work and what they want but won't that... make it more complicated? No offense but humans have their own life, why not let them live however they want? What if the one without the..'mark' doesn't one to be mated at all? Isn't this the exact reason you were punished?" Ciel asked Fil but the latter immediately replied as if he knew he would ask about it.

"I also thought about that when I was created like I have this big question mark in my head…. Then someone told me before that there’s a short legend that all fairies should know.  In the ancient era of humans, and the birth of ABO genes, people can be categorized into two endings when they die; the happy then the sad. The ‘victims’, - humans- before they reincarnated, the people responsible for reincarnation asked them: 'What went wrong in your past life?' The people with the happy ending said, 'I got a short life.' while the people with sad endings said, 'I wasn't deserving of a long life'. Well, it’s very complicated but it all means that someone should be responsible for what happened, we were assigned to do so." Fil smiled bitterly to Ciel before he continued, "Just think of it as we act as real cupids. We brought the fated ones together, and matched the people without. It's up to them if they will create their own happy ending"

 'But if they don't, then we will need to restart again.' Fil didn't say the last sentence to not make Ciel uncomfortable. It's their own problem anyway. Ciel noticed the smile of the young lad and thought of something dreary about what happened to the fairies. In the book he read, it was so light it could be a story book for children– but the reality and the hidden truths was probably much more cruel than Ciel thought. 

But instead of comforting the other unhappy lad, he just asked another question. "So am I the one with the 'mark' or someone without?" Ciel asked to confirm if what he learned last time was right.

"Without." Fil answered, smiling bright again, as if he was almost at the victory line. Ready to say his real purpose.

"I see, then correct me If I'm wrong but you will be the one to 'match' me with someone right?" Fil noded as an answer. "Then I'll do it with an exchange." Ciel immediately added.

"Is this the deal you were talking about?" the boy asked.

"Yes. I want you to grant me a wish, in exchange, I will fully comply with whatever request you also have. I believe that's fair for both of us right?" Fil didn't expect that and was alarmed.

"Fairies at the present don't have magic anymore. I can't-" Fil was talking when Ciel rathly cut his sentence.

"Yesterday, you said the book I've read is very accurate, right? In the book, though it's not in the fairies POV, it was narrated like someone knows what happened in them. The book said, when the magic is taken, the fairies' bodies will also not last long, so they casted a spell upon themselves so everything they have may stay with their spirit until they have a respective body to settle for anytime they want. I suspect that also works for you guys. That means there is still a magic left, you are just hiding it." Ciel confidently said and tried to intimidate the young lad again. 

 

What Ciel said was true, he read it from the book and he thought a lot last night, just so he can have the wish granted. 

‘I must be crazy to think of that wish coming true’ but it was crazier for him to let someone decide a mate for him in exchange for a wish.

So if Fil is hiding something that can make his wish come true then he'll just need to blow the gaff himself. Ciel looked at Fil and saw the lad showing a serious expression and shook his head.

"That's right, we do have magic left. But it's not something we can use to grant someone's wish again. If we misuse it, we will never be able to survive. We aren't humans Ciel; we probably wouldn't exist in your time if not for the punishment. Without magic, we are useless."

"...." Ciel knows he's probably being too conceited, but he still continued to push the matter.

"I understand what you meant, but I will lose something too. And I am not willing to commit to your request without at least receiving something." Ciel said, trying to calm the fire within him. He learned that there is magic that can grant wishes. It is near him, so he needs to hold it before it could leave him.

"Fine, but listen first." Fil watched Ciel aggressively talking to him. ' I am at least 7 decades older than this boy yet look at the way he talks.' Fil squinted his eyes trying to examine the boy's movement. 

Fil doesn't know how much Ciel knows about the book. Though Fil did use the book as decoration, because of the ancient words, no one should know how to read it. Fil, himself doesn't know how, only Thavma, but Thavma likes to have secrets. No matter how much Fil asks about the contents, the wisdomous boy would just tell him the legend and some vague memories he inherited he already knows- the one he explained to Ciel.

Of course, if Ciel can really read the book, then it's probably because he's a reincarnation of someone from the west kingdom and meeting a fairy just triggered the soul, or maybe the dream he had this past few days is true…. 'Damn it! So unfair. I want to know too..'

"Listen Ciel, I may be a true fairy but I really can’t cast any spell to grant any stupendous wishes. In the first place, our magic is not omnipotent and unlimited.  But to grant simple wishes is still possible so please tell me your wish first. I can give you fortune, luck, blessing for health, forever youth? Strength? Intelligence?..."

'What!? You can make someone look forever young? And luck? Fortune? Isn't that what people always wish for?' Ciel thought while Fil is speaking to him. However, none of this can fulfill his greatest wish....He was thinking how to convey his wish to the fairy so he was deep in thought until he heard Fil say what he can't grant for Ciel.

".....I also have something I- no.. all fairies- can't do, even before. We can make miracles but we can't kill someone. We can't, of course, meddle with human evolution or any other race, again. We also can't revive a d-"Fil was so immersed in talking when he heard Ciel interrupt him again and saying "My wish is for my parents to go back. I want them on our side again."

Fil's cute eyes literally looked rounder, as he made a complicated face. He shook his head left and right to show his disagreement. "Ciel. Let me finish. Fairies can't REVIVE a DEAD person." Fil said putting a lot of stress in the 'revive' and 'dead' words to highlight it. "Fairies aren't God; that's why we were punished. I can't grant your wish. And even if I tried I’m sure it would fail, do you wanna see your parents as the first real walking dead? Their souls left the world 10 years ago, they wouldn’t be your parents anymore. I'm sorry, Ciel"

Ciel stood up and tried to intimidate the young lad, a proof of him not giving up on the matter. "Then find another way. If you don't then don't talk to me again." Ciel walked towards the exit, not letting Fil say another word against him when he remembered something. So he paused and said while holding the glass door open, "Since you were the one who invited me here, I hope the hot chocolate is free of charge, mister owner slash fairy. I hope to ‘see you’ next time."

Fil looked at the closing door, and listened to the slow music around his cafe, with the bell making a noise. The one he was talking with a moment ago left so fast, and even didn't pay for the drink! Fil can forgive the latter, since he built the cafe near Ciel's house just to get a chance to complete his task, but he hadn't replied yet. Now he can't go to the omega if he doesn't give the offering he wants.

1