Chapter 1.5 – The Baby Girl
165 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Narl, The Tyrant of Tyrants, watched one of his four personal imps, this one named Gretchy, place the makeshift basket with cloth as a bedding down on the stone drawer next to his bed. While what he said was true, that the baby was too cute to eat. Narl had no idea why he was sparring her life, especially upon learning that the baby was female. He has nothing against females but, from what he knows, most races don't let their females on the battlefield. In fact, most of them treat females poorly. Because of that Narl thinks that females from other races are weak, especially from the human race who were already weak to begin with.

He guess that he was interested in the baby girl. He wants to see if she is as weak as any other human if brought up in the land of ogres. Plus, at any time Narl feels like it, he can always just eat the girl. 

Now he just needs to rely on his imps to take care of the little thing. Narl only knows how to take care of baby ogres and they were born with a jaw strong enough to grind meat, and all it took was one look at the baby to realize that her jaw was not strong enough to handle any kind of meat. Luckily, his imps are over four thousand years old and have plenty of knowledge on how to raise a human baby. 

"My Tyrant," A raspy voice spoke, getting Narl's attention.

"Yes, imp?" Narl asked, turning to look at Gretchy.

"You may want to move the baby elsewhere. Human babies are even more noisy than ogre babies."

Narl took into consideration what his imp said. Narl is an ogre, and ogres aren't one to complain about loud noises. They have tons of feasts after all. Also, many weapons the ogres use that can be considered a range weapon are both loud, deadly, and explosive. In other words, the ogres are a loud race in general. What ogres don't like is the sound of crying. Even if ogres make plenty of jokes about eating people alive, that's all it is. A joke.

It would take one deaf ogre to eat someone while they're still alive. The sound is too horrible.

But, even though Narl trusts his imps more than a lot of other ogres, he doesn't trust other ogres to not eat or kill the baby. Normally an ogre would respect the red imps that work directly for Narl but a tired ogre may not be able to think things through and see the imps as just imps. If that's the case they might just ignore the imps and go right for the crying baby.

"Noted, Gretchy, but I'll take the risk," Narl informed his imp.

Gretchy nodded and skittered to the back of the room, watching the baby. A strange noise brought Narl's attention to the baby too. It seems the little thing was finally waking up. With a small yawn the baby seem to rub her eyes before looking around. Upon spotting the massive less than pleasant face of Narl a foot away, the baby girl did what any other baby girl would do in this situation.

 

Start crying.

 

"You were right, as always," Narl told Gretchy with a sigh. Still he would not give up so easily. Narl stood up and glared at the baby, waiting for it to shut up. The baby faltered for a bit under the glare of The Tyrant of Tyrants but continued nonetheless.

Narl let out a snort of amusement, not insulted that his glare didn't work. Getting up from his bed Narl walked over to the basket and thought of leaning down but decided against it. He didn't want to make the baby deaf.

Narl inhaled briefly and let out a massive bellowing roar, though the imps noticed that his roar was significantly quieter than it was normally. Even if his roar was quieter than normal, it worked in the end. The human baby shut up after a little whine. She also pissed herself but, with a little magic from the imps and she was as good as new.

Narl let out a chuckle of amusement and leaned forward a bit, meeting the oddly large hazel eyes of the baby. It seems that no matter how young something is, it can get scared. 

Narl's smile grew as he put one finger down into the basket, dangling it out of reach of the baby girl. Maybe this baby human is going to be more interesting than he originally thought. If he plays his cards right he may just have a new little toy in the future. A toy that will entertain him much more than any imp can. After all, imps are limited by their cowardness. Humans, on the other hand, have a tendency to be heroic as they are aggressively stupid.

 

 

....

 

 

The girl opened her eyes, feeling hunger gnawing at her stomach once again. Unlike what the imps had said sleeping wasn't helping her hunger die down. In fact, the girl had a sneaking suspicion that the imps were tricking her. 

It has been five days since the girl was thrown in here by the ogres. Her father had just told her to survive, giving her a pile of meat. Despite being five years old the girl has already learned a more advanced vocabulary than other humans, thought that is only really to survive. Trick is what many ogres and, really imps use to get around. Survive means living. Meat means food. Water means drink. Weakling is used to describe her and imps. 

She doesn't want to be a weakling. She doesn't feel very well when being called something imps are. The only imps she likes would be the red ones that help take care of her.

Taking care of someone also means two things. One is to make sure that thing is doing well, which is what her father, other ogres...not really, and the four red imps do to her, and taking care of things can also mean to make meat out of that thing, or to just destroy it, something an ogre has done to the wooden stick she used to "touch" him.

Rising up to check to see if she was correct, the girl walked over to the stack of leftover meat she has managed to get on all fours, currently the easiest way to get around. It didn't take her long to get to the meat pile...or what was left of it.

"Ah!" The girl exclaimed and rushed forward, only stumbling along the way from how weak her limbs were. She may have been given a bunch of meat but she was barely strong enough to eat it. Once she did, it didn't take long for her jaw to begin to hurt.

Just as she was making her way to the meat something hit her hard, causing her to trip and fall down on the ground. 

"Finally got smarter, did yousss!?" A scorning high-pitched voice asked.

The girl looked up and noticed the three imps who had told her that sleeping helped with hunger. She took one look at their eyes and noticed that they were looking down at her like the other ogres do. She doesn't like the feeling. Was she so weak that imps were looking down on her? What would her father say?

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to her and the imps, Narl, The Tyrant of Tyrants, was watching the scene from a magic ball, his four imps with him. It has been around five years since he picked up this little baby and now, now he was giving her a simple test. After all, one can't expect to be anywhere near an ogre if they're too weak.

 

7