Chapter 15: Breakthrough and Breakdown
42 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15: Breakthrough and Breakdown

Starved, traumatized, and still terrified for her own safety, Rihelah clung tenaciously to the thick foliage of her hideaway.

I need a distraction from all this...

She checked her level-up notification from killing Kaleb's spider at last.

Mantid Magus has reached Level 14! +12HP, +16MP.

HP: 103/103 (+10HP/min.)

MP: 132/132 (+5MP/min.)

STR 16

AGI 14

INT 38

Four levels, hmm? Hmph. What I need are spells! And probably more MP regen, too! I wonder how I can increase that?

Twenty-five meters up within the huge maple-like tree, amid many stems and broad leaves protruding from a gently-swaying branch, her well-concealed perch overlooked Kaleb's dwelling. She watched grimly while the horrible man and his woman finally walked back inside. A discordant cacophony of high-pitched screeches had gradually arisen, adding its own unique flavor to her evening's horror-film-like atmosphere.

Too frustrated and scared to hunt despite her raging hunger, she quickly fell back on old habits, becoming stuck inside her own head while she brooded over the evening's highly-disturbing events.

The evil dragon fly found me so quickly... Too quickly! Damn that Edana... DAMN her! It cannot be a coincidence...

Not long after nightfall, she came to Kaleb's cabin and entered through the window. Someone must've informed her. I bet it was that old man! But then, why would humans who seem to view arthropods as merchandise listen to or bargain with Edana? Fuck! What if she caught Mick and tortured it out of him??

Rihelah covered herself with fallen leaves when exited Kaleb's cabin and began flying about to search the forest. Though hidden from view, Rihelah constantly heard Edana's forcibly-altered, pretty voice calling out gently for a “Michael's little mantis friend” while naming herself “Sika.”

That bitch Edana had the audacity to make the claim that she is within her own custody!

I am not having any of it! Her words are pure lies! Utter bullshit!

She even pretended another mantis named “Michael” had asked about me!!

How in the fuck does she even know that name?! I literally wet myself down there in the leaf-litter when she started talking about him!

She must have some sort of mind-reading ability... She's scary as fuck! This fucking world... And I cannot even create my own magic!

Fuck, I hope her ability to read minds is limited! It must be, since she was unable to locate me. Still...

Rihelah clenched her forelegs in frustration.

And then! Oh-ho-ho fucking THEN, Kaleb and his girl come out with torches to search for me again while spewing loads of complete bullshit about some nation filled with “tyrannical, ogre-loving elven cuntwash”... What the fuck does that have to do with anything?!

So now here I am cowering in a damned tree! I risked being seen by other predators to get up here! But I had no choice because of that sick bastard Kaleb... What the fuck is wrong with this world?! Where are my overpowered abilities for being reborn with all my memories intact??

Rihelah thought back on her experiences since reincarnation. Magic looks amazing, but I have none despite the lavish claims made by this evolution's description! What do I actually receive? A striking visual appearance and... not much else! Except the fact that my body looks like it was rolled in glitter! Hi everyone! Meet Rihelah, the highly-edible abomination who masquerades as a fucking piñata! Here she is! Come and claim her as a decoration to set upon your mantel!

She tightened her forelegs until they ached, then released them.

Everyone else gets to use magic, but I only get magic when it's used against me!

Damn Edana... That wicked fucking witch!! Violating my past life's secrets to bait me out of hiding! Worst of all, I actually WANT her damned words to be true! If Michael... If he were here with me in this world as a fellow mantis, then maybe this life would actually be worth living...

Heh. Dream-on, girl. You're stuck with this sad reality. Most living things in this world either want to eat you or kill you. Or kill you, then eat you. Or eat you while killing you! Gods, that's how I get my own food... I must seem just as evil from the perspective of my own prey! Fuck!

So pissed-off right now, I can't even think straight! Welcome to a whole new world, Rihelah!

And fuck, it gets better!!

I had to watch from up here while Kaleb and his lovely girl went at it against this very tree! If I'd been human, at least I could have shut my eyes... BUT NO! A mantis cannot even fucking BLINK, let alone...

She shuddered.

This life is horrible. I used to think women in California were treated badly, but this is ridiculous! I miss my family. I miss my office. I miss my research... Fuck! By comparison, I even miss the God-damned pandemic! At least my old life's struggles were things I understood; things I could take measures against! Here in this world, all I ever seem to do is run away in an effort to escape certain death...

DAMN my short-sighted eagerness; going on some hare-brained quest to chase stupid magicses without a single rational thought about staying hidden from danger... I'm a tiny mantis in a world filled with predators! I knew this before I took that evolution, and still... How can I even claim that I'm a logical person?

Rihelah fumed silently to herself for a few minutes, then shook her head.

I faced down that creep Professor Jacklin when he tried to use the week when I got sick as leverage against my grades, just to get into my pants. I had my doctor's note. I took things above his head, got the dean involved, and received an extension for my deadline. I defeated that bastard.

The best revenge is always solid work! You can do this. Like Michael's dad would have said, “Shit goin' tough-like? Just knuckle-down an' git-'er-done, girl!” Git-'er-done... Yeah, that always did sound a bit pornographic.

The still-fresh memory of sweaty, intertwined bodies undulating below the tree flashed across her mind's eye, and Rihelah recoiled.

God, what the fuck am I even thinking about?! Disgusting!! To make matters worse, I will never un-hear the grunting and wheezing noises those hairless apes made, and...

Damn it all! Fuck you, Kaleb!!

If there had been any food remaining in Rihelah's stomach at that moment, it would have been lost as she retched uncontrollably for almost a full minute. Despite the terrible nausea, she had nothing to expel aside from her own digestive fluids, and those burned on the way out.

-2HP.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

This is absolutely not the kind of “gittin' 'er done” I was trying to focus on!! You hear me, mantis-mind?? Stop fuckin' with me! Now I'm dehydrated on top of being hungry! This is bullshit! Being a mantis sucks!

After taking a moment to collect herself, she gave a mental huff and poked her head out from the thick gathering of leaves to begin looking around for something she could eat.

As expected, the massive maple-like tree was abuzz with crawling and flying things. Lengthy, beetle-like arthropods with absurdly-long antennae drilled through the bark with their long mouth-parts. Extremely tiny mosquito-shaped flies packed themselves onto the newest of the tree's leaves, biting into them to drink their fill. Some of these flew close enough for her to reach, and she snapped one up to try it out.

Bitter! Blech! Nope!

She hadn't even bitten down before her palps recoiled from some kind of defensive chemical the tiny fly had sprayed. She released its partially-mangled body from her powerful raptorial arms and continued to look around while wiping the taste off her palps with the tiny brushes on each foreleg. Her intended victim made a feeble attempt at flight while it plummeted in a sad spiral toward the forest floor.

Upon the ground below, numerous large arthropods moved across the ground silently, in an orderly fashion. It seemed like they were deliberately searching for something. Rihelah focused her vision downward for a moment to identify them.

Ants! They're huge! Those... They resemble the fire ants I saw before! Glad I'm all the way up here! Looks like they're sweeping the ground to flush out suitable prey...

She shuddered at the thought of being cooked alive and then fed to ant larvae. The loud screeching had become more intense as it ebbed and flowed swiftly around her, making Rihelah feel extremely unsafe.

She observed the ants for a time and noticed they rarely climbed more than halfway up any of the trees. Though their presence had given her pause, her stomach was insistent. I have to eat... If I lose my strength due to starvation I will die anyway. Be logical, Rihelah. She resumed her search.

One thing, in particular, caught her attention; many of the flying insects eventually made their way over to circle one of the relatively-bright lamps hanging from every other cabin at this edge of the large human encampment. Dark shapes streaked through the air, scooping up the well-illuminated insects in the same way damselflies dart through a swarm of mosquitoes to feed.

Wow. Those lamps are exactly where I need to be right now! They provide a constant buffet! Then again, it's likely many of those flying insects are big enough to carry me off to feed to their young... Damn it, I need to grow larger, or learn some magic somehow! Preferably both!

The reflective nature of Rihelah's exoskeleton while facing toward those human-made lamps caught the light-adoring eyes of a passing moth twice her size, and it turned rapidly before making a beeline at her face.

Fuck! Yes! Come to Rihelah, food!

Her hunger churned, her palps quivered, and she struck with all her strength as soon as the moth came into range. She clamped down hard, her foreleg spines latching onto her victim's tough head and thorax. The large insect thrashed violently about in her grasp, scattering its tiny dust-like scales in all directions as it wrenched her this way and that amid the sudden melee.

While Rihelah struggled to haul her over-sized prey deeper into that clump of leaves to be devoured, her victim in turn strained to pull itself free.

The moth soon won the poorly-matched tug-of-war. All four of Rihelah's hind legs abruptly lost their grip and she found herself hanging from the front of the moth while it flew unsteadily toward the nearest hanging lamp.

Nooo!! You idiot! If a larger predator sees you struggling out here, we will both be-

Something extremely high-pitched assaulted her eargina, and Rihelah froze in terror, her eyes scanning frantically for the source of that deafening noise. The moth dove toward the ground briefly while the sound passed just overhead. The moth resumed flapping its wings, once more headed toward the light.

When they had reached the halfway point between her former hiding place and the lamp, Rihelah heard that terrifying sound again. It was louder and closer. A silhouette of dragon-like wings shone against the sky for a moment. Her instincts screamed at her to stop flying, despite the fact she lacked any wings. She recalled learning something from a nature documentary, and realization hit her.

Her body reacted for her, releasing her hold upon the light-gray moth and immediately smacking it hard with her forelegs. The attack kicked up another cloud of dusty scales, but it knocked her away just in time to avoid being caught by the webbed hind feet of a huge flying creature with leathery wings.

A fucking bat! Those dark things gathering the flying insects are bats! Fuck!! They are insectivores!

Panic and terror caused her face to go numb while she plummeted toward the ground. Another loud screech assaulted her eargina as its source closed rapidly.

Noooooo!! Not like this!!

Her whole body went numb with shock at the realization she was about to be caught and eaten by a creature close to 100 times her own size.

A gout of flame erupted from below, quickly forming into a bright orange fireball that illuminated the horrifying, hideous face of the bat streaking toward her through the sky. Its enormous ears twitched this way and that, its wings making tiny adjustments and its body flowing through the air like water as it sought its next victim. Her. Her shock intensified, and her vision began to swim.

Another flaming orb from somewhere nearby intervened, causing the bat to wince in fear and lose its chance at snatching her up.

With the immediate danger past, Rihelah's vision quickly cleared and she focused her attention upon the ground below...

Dozens of giant ants were gathering to greet her as she plummeted inexorably toward their huge, gaping mandibles and fiery magic. Rihelah's terror returned full-force, accompanied by indignation and a sense of finality.

WHY?! WHY CAN I NEVER FIND A PEACEFUL PLACE TO JUST LIVE AND GROW?!

She felt awkward about the words she knew would likely be the last of her second life's internal dialogue.

One particularly large ant had climbed atop the others, and it snatched her out of the air with its enormous mandibles before bolting away toward the darkness of the forest, followed by the rest.

Rihelah took a deep breath and readied herself for the inevitable sensation of being macerated to a pulp while the ant hauled her protein-rich body toward its nest to feed their brood. She knew that any second now the huge, jagged mandibles gripping her would snap shut...

A coup de grâce that never came.

What... the hell? This grip is gentle! Why? Do I smell like one of their own somehow, or do these intelligent ants know that mantids are sapient, and they... Are they actually peaceful?? I know I heard them talking a few days ago, but I'd assumed... Because ants are usually so dangerous to other arthropods... But this one is clearly not trying to kill me, despite how easy that would be for her. All worker and soldier ants are female, right? And why else would an ant be so-

[Mantis? Are you injured, child? Please speak if you are able.] A motherly voice whispered quietly into her mind while the huge ants raced along tiny forest paths in an orderly line.

[Ah... yes? I was just... I thought you were going to... But you saved me instead, and... I feel pretty embarrassed! But th-thank you...] Rihelah stammered quietly.

[You and young Michael have much in common. He will be pleased to know you are safe, as will Lady Sika and Queen Zauna.] The matronly voice of her rescuer whispered once more, colored by amusement.

[I... Um... I appreciate the rescue! Did you say... M-Michael?] Rihelah stuttered, then she did her best to collect herself and continued, [You know him??]

The enormous ant replied, [Indeed. His personality is rather curious, and... It is no matter, for you shall see him soon. But first, you must meet with our queen. She has questions for you, Rihelah. Be forewarned; Queen Zauna possesses the ability to perceive both truth and lies. When she asks questions, you must answer truthfully, for lies will only cause... problems. We now approach the village of Nytalis. You shall be safe from the questionable machinations of the Freedom Watch within our walls.]

[I... see. Thank you for the warning... um...]

[Xochi. General Xochi of the Nytalis Guard. Our queen dispatched me to search after learning that Sika had failed in her attempts to contact you.]

[Wait. So, that actually was a different dragon fly named Sika, and not Edana??]

The ant-column passed through a low tunnel that snaked beneath the tall barrier-bush, and emerged out the other side into a well-lit and picturesque village. There was very little activity, save for the constant streams of ants carrying things to and fro. Xochi continued to run apace toward an enormous tree at its center, while the majority of ants who had accompanied her peeled off in other directions. Only the closest four continued on with them. Other telepathic conversations could be overheard occasionally, but Rihelah found it simple enough to tune those out.

[Correct. Edana has been restrained by her elder sister, pending a decision from Queen Zauna regarding whether to allow her to stay in Nytalis or send her home to face judgement. I was told of your... previous experience with her. You may not be aware that she murdered sixty of my loyal troops with her frost breath before disappearing into the forest two lunar cycles past.]

[She did what?!] Rihelah gasped.

[It is strange and disturbing behavior for an elf. Especially one who, despite being a slightly spoiled princess had been relatively kind and gentle toward everyone prior to that fateful day...] Xochi responded, her voice quickly growing heated and then regretful while they passed into another, much larger passage winding lazily down into the earth beneath that gigantic tree.

[I... This is a lot to take in. Edana... is an elf??]

Xochi ran through the passageways in silence for a brief time, turning this way and that as they delved ever deeper beneath the huge tree. Rihelah found herself marveling at the slightly-glowing stone lining the surprisingly-clean ant tunnels. After thinking for a bit, Xochi replied.

[All shall be explained soon enough. For now, please ready yourself to face our mother. She is kind and just, but these times are... uncertain, and we cannot risk the safety of our townspeople. Be certain you answer with complete honesty, no matter how difficult her questions may be.]

It sounds like my night's just gonna keep getting weirder. But at least I am not in a bat's stomach right now! These ants saved me. If not for them...

They passed into a massive, well-lit chamber deep within the ground. A truly massive ant rested near its back wall, surrounded by two rows of large soldier ants. Xochi approached slowly with Rihelah still held in her mandibles. [Mother. I come bearing Rihelah, Michael's lost friend.]

The titanic ant that dwarfed even Xochi stood upright, shook her huge head a bit and twitched her antennae. Her commanding voice spoke into the minds of all those present. [Well done and thank you, Xochi. Please allow our guest to stand upon her own feet.]

[As you wish, Mother. I shall return to my duties.] Xochi gently set Rihelah down, bowed her head, then immediately exited the chamber.

[Young Rihelah, please follow me.] Zauna spoke as she led Rihelah into the same chamber where she had spoken with Michael.

Rihelah marveled at the way the huge pattern on the wall grew itself open into a doorway before closing in the same manner.

The queen ant stopped in front of her and spoke before turning around, [I have already spoken with young Michael and learned that he hails from a distant town named Turloque in a country called California.]

Rihelah froze and trembled in place, almost falling over as her muscles suddenly lost their strength. No. It cannot. Fucking. Be.

Zauna turned to face her and continued. [He refused to answer fully when asked if he is from another world, though his responses clearly show that he is. I suspect that you are as well given that, to the best of my knowledge, you two are the only known “mantises” in this world. That is the term he used for your species, yes?]

Thunderstruck, Rihelah stumbled and fell backward onto her abdomen. She knows where I am from!! How? Is he really... Is Michael... The REAL Michael really here?! Was he actually my... That mantis is my real best friend from childhood?? Were we reincarnated together?! Oh God, I want it to be true!!

[Are you alright, child? Can you understand my words?] Zauna inclined her head a little.

Completely overwhelmed, Rihelah stuttered. [I... Y-yes. I can understand you. This is just... Is it truly Michael?? He was... we grew up together. In...] This is it. If I tell her where I am from, the cat's out of the bag, along with whatever consequences that drags in. Still, her ants just went out of their way to save my life, and Xochi said it was Zauna's order that kept me from dying. I might as well just come clean, since I owe her my life and lying seems pointless anyway. Even if she doesn't actually possess the ability to discern truth, I was always a terrible liar.

This is another world and these people aren't human. Perhaps it will help to build trust if I'm honest. If not, at least I will have given things an honest try. Be a person who can look at herself in the mirror and smile, Rihelah. Just like mom and dad.

Rihelah stood up. [I... Queen Zauna, I will attempt to answer your questions before you have to ask. Your ants saved my life tonight, and so I owe you that much at least.]

Zauna nodded, [That will be helpful. Please continue, Rihelah.]

[As you wish. A man named Michael and I... We were childhood friends together in the town of Turloque, California. California isn't a country, but rather a state within a much larger nation. That nation is indeed on another world, called Earth. I have no idea how far away it is, but I do know it's definitely too far for me or Michael to return. At least, not by any means that I know of.]

Zauna rotated her head thoughtfully, [I suspected as much regarding the place you are from. If you were childhood friends upon that other world, how did you arrive here? Moreover, why do you think young Michael is so afraid of telling me this?]

[We were both killed on Earth, on the same day. Then I found myself reborn on this world. Your world. I had no idea that Michael was brought here as well... Not until Xochi mentioned he was here in your village. I was terrified after being captured by... a human. I also suspect the fact that humans on our old world tend to be highly dangerous under certain circumstances may have led Michael to fear revealing his origins. On Earth, both of us would certainly be imprisoned and tortured for information if it were revealed we had come from another world. I won't lie. Telling you this right now makes me nervous, because just as you do not know me or Michael, we do not know you. I do ask that we are allowed our liberty, for having been honest...] Rihelah replied.

[Now that is truly fascinating. Fear not, for we are different from the humans you describe. I have no desire to see you suffer for speaking truth within my halls, and will certainly punish anyone who attempts to harm you for living as an enkelyn should!] Zauna said, and Rihelah breathed a huge sigh of relief at her words.

[I am curious. What are the enkelyn like on this “Earth?” Are all of them mantises, or are there fire ants and others as well?] Zauna's antennae raised upward like huge eyebrows, and it made Rihelah chuckle inside.

[Ah, that... There are no enkelyn, nor any other sapient beings aside from humans on Earth. Not that we know of. Michael and me... we were both human before we died.]

Zauna's antennae stood straight up. [You were human? I see! Yes, now I see. Young Michael's behavior and words begin to make sense! Then he truly was 24-years of age as a human on Earth before his passing! We had been trying to puzzle out how an enkelyn bearing such a youthful appearance could possibly be anywhere close to 24-years of age. An average lifespan is between 16-to-20-years for those of us who are not queens! His awkwardness everywhere in town along with his lack of knowledge; everything is falling into place! I am grateful for your candor, young Rihelah! Mmm... Are there different forms of magic on Earth, relative to those you have witnessed here on Edon?]

Rihelah's antennae drooped. [I... There's no such thing as magic on Earth. Not as far as I knew. Humans did everything with their hands. To the best of my knowledge, everything on that world lives without magic and dies without magic. Except for me and Michael, it seems! Hah! Nothing but godlike magic could have transported us across such a vast distance as that which exists between worlds! I really... Would you allow me to see Michael, please? It's been years since we last saw each other, and I miss him terribly...]

[I shall grant your request, young Rihelah. But I have one last question; If you were killed and reincarnated recently, how would you already know that he had been killed on your world if you have not seen him for years?] Zauna cocked her head slightly to the right.

[I went to look for him, to go see him again after so long. But he wasn't home. So, I went to check at his workplace, and on the way there I found him... But he was already... Michael was... dead. There were police investigating, and his employer was there, and I... fell into despair while standing in a roadway. Someone in a fast-moving vehicle hit me, and I died too. Afterward, I awoke inside some huge bush in that meadow, as a mantis. Rihelah looked at herself, opening her forelegs up and outward before relaxing them down again.

That was just a few days ago. After that I met another mantis who could talk, but that was before I learned Telepathy. Then Edana kidnapped me, and after that I... I'm sorry!] Rihelah grew weepy while thinking of everything that had occurred and began stuttering as she spoke, finally collapsing at the end with her antennae drooping in front of her face.

[Take heart, child... Please know that you and Michael are safe here in Nytalis. I will allow you both to stay and to learn what you can about this world. After you have grown strong enough, you may go wherever you like. I will not force you to stay within Nytalis, but I do strongly encourage you to avoid the forest again until you have learned the necessary skills and knowledge to survive. You are both fortunate to have remained alive as long as you did. There are terrors outside these walls, the like of which even my ants cannot handle without the aid of our Starleaf bush as a deterrent and barrier. However, we have spoken quite enough this night. Follow.]

Zauna led a weary, wobbly-legged Rihelah out from the chamber and into the main hall once more. She gestured with an antenna to one of her attendants, who rushed over and bowed.

Zauna turned to Rihelah, [I am grateful for your honesty, for now I understand the source of young Michael's apprehension. Coming from a world of humans, it is hardly surprising he would feel distrustful and fearful in this kind of situation. Be well, young Rihelah. I will have you delivered to Sika's cottage, where Michael currently rests. It is likely Lord Auronox brought the two of you to our world for a reason, and it is not my place to question His wisdom.]

Zauna's tone grew deadly serious, [Do take care if you should you find yourselves near humans hailing from New Freeland, young Rihelah. Their behavior is very much as you seem to recall from your own world. If they were to learn of your origins... I believe I need not explain the outcome. Nelu, please lead young Rihelah to Sika's cottage at once!]

The attending ant bowed her head before Zauna and turned to Rihelah. [Please follow me!]


The latest fit of crying from an occasionally-waking Edana had quieted down, but her older sister snored like a chainsaw at idle. Weary and mentally drained, Michael found himself continually chasing after and longing for rest, but never quite finding it.

At least Sika's sleeping soundly. Damn... That girl's snore could scare the stank off a stool-fly! I can't complain, though. I did impose upon Sika by asking to stay here, after all.

Another thought gnawed away at the back of his mind, making the prospect of finding peaceful torpor even more difficult; a kind of regret Michael had always avoided like the plague... until recently.

I know! He pleaded with his nagging conscience, I'll have to come clean with Zauna eventually! I was raised to be honest, and have always tried to be. I want to be the kind of person who can look himself in the mirror and not cringe, just like my father was. That said... If I end up in some fire ant dungeon for the rest of my life, none of that will matter.

The moon's light broke through the patchy clouds, illuminating an irregularly-shaped rectangle upon the wooden table. Michael thought he saw a mantis-like shape silhouetted against the table for a moment before another cloud obscured the moon's light once again.

Fuck... So damn tired, I'm starting to see things! I should have stayed at Bogdin's inn.

[Michael...] Michael imagined he could hear the other mantid's pleasant voice whisper into his head.

Haah... Now I'm hearing things! Maybe I should just go to that inn and see if they still have a room availab-

[Michael! Are you in here?] That familiar voice whispered again, louder this time.

Michael's antennae shot upward in shock. [You?! The one who was taken! Are you really here?!] He whispered tentatively in reply, half-expecting to find it was all in his head.

[Who else would I be, Michael??] She said, rather pointedly.

He caught sight of her near the window and stared while her beautiful, dimly-sparkling form leapt the short distance to the table and flowed smoothly onto it while the moonlight returned, her long legs moving with bewitching grace.

Each movement felt stiff and forced for Rihelah. Maintain your composure, girl... Just let your body do the work. It knows its business. He is still your best friend.

She stopped in place and swiveled this way and that, taking in the room while searching for Michael.

Where is he?? Bah! He has that amazing camouflage. The useful polar opposite of my gaudy exoskeleton! She clenched her mandibles for a second at that thought.

She caught sight of him waving his forelegs about beneath a stem on one of the plants high up on a sturdy shelf built into the wall near the table.

He noticed her looking at him. [Yep! Up here! Trying not to wake them!] He gestured toward Sika and Edie as his voice ironically grew louder.

[You're safe!! How?! When did-] He forgot himself and began talking at a normal volume when Rihelah cut him off.

[Quiet, you! People are sleeping! You were the one who just cautioned me!] Rihelah pointed to the elven girls.

[Right. My bad.] He whispered.

She turned her head to look at the elves. [So, Edana is the smaller one? S-she's really an elf?] Rihelah trembled a bit a the thought.

[How did you... Oh. You must have talked with the ants. Uh, yeah... It's complicated.] He replied.

She moved quickly to the wall and climbed up to the edge of the shelf, then moved more slowly while she spoke. Butterflies began to dance within her starved abdomen. [Hmm. Yes, I spoke with Zauna. This is all a bit much to digest, but... I believe I've heard that saying somewhere before; “It's complicated.”] She spoke that last phrase a little slower for emphasis.

Michael cocked his head in response.

[Commonplace among humans from California, is it not? How have you been, Michael?]

She made a point of emphasizing his name while taking up a position directly opposite him below another of the plant's stems. By this time, her butterflies had gone crazy in anticipation. God, I hope he really is Michael!

Dumbstruck and too tired to process everything, Michael just stared at her, his antennae swept backward in surprise.

[Cat got your tongue?] She stepped a little closer, then turned toward one of the plant's broad leaves. She gripped it with her left foreleg and turned it to face toward him.

Michael remained silent, unsure of what to say.

[I wonder if this might mean anything to you, then?] Rihelah traced the outline of their initials, carving it lightly into the leaf while trying her best to approximate the way he had done so when they were children.

Michael leaned closer as he began to recognize the pattern. By the time she had finished, he lost his grip and dropped toward the dirt in which the plant had been potted.

[No fucking way! Rihelah?!] He cried as he landed on his back, legs wriggling in the air and eyes locked directly upon her in shock.

She peered down at him, merely watching as he struggled to right himself. [Mmmhm! Michael Elliott. I cannot believe the two of us were reincarnated together in this world! And we had no fucking idea...]

[This is... Hah! No, I'm just dreaming. There's no way Rihelah is actually here in this crazy, fucked-up world with me! It must be Sika's snoring and the lack of sleep getting to me...] He blurted out, waking one of the sleeping elves in the process.

Mmmm? What'sis about snoring, Mm-michael? Edie, why...? Makes no sense... Don't want... believe any of it, but... Should... be sleeping. Go back... Mmmfsleep...” Sika mumbled and rolled over. Her breathing slowed once more, but at least she stopped her snoring.

[Was it also a dream then, that you were lying dead on that 11th Street sidewalk in Turloque, halfway between home and work? Is it also a dream that I was killed by a distracted driver after I..? I saw you... lying there. Michael, I was...] Rihelah spoke softly, and Michael could hear the pain in her voice. He recognized that voice now. His antennae trembled in shock and his body went entirely numb. He scrambled awkwardly to his feet, then raced up the plant to her side.

[Is it... It's really you isn't it? So you were there after I... and then you were killed too?? Why?!] He swayed a little bit while looking at her intently.

[I'm pretty sure you know about as much as I do about all... this...] She waved her forelegs and looked around for emphasis. Then soberly, she continued, [I was there after you died. I came to see you, but you were already-]

[Can this really be you?] Michael's forelegs hung open in front of him as he slowly staggered toward her while forcing himself to whisper.

[You want to know that I'm really me? How about this, then? “Shit-house leg and a bucket of snot, and three green turds tied in a knot, Michaelliott!”] She did her best to imitate his father's way of speaking.

Adrenaline flooded his entire body, causing it to go numb all over again. Impossible... She used to say it just like that!

He stumbled slightly, then rushed forward and gently gripped her with his forelegs while resting his head just behind hers, [That's his saying... and even the nickname my dad used to... Dammit, girl... I fucking missed you! More than you'll ever know... Can't believe you are actually here! You're the best damn... friend I ever... had...] He tried and failed miserably to keep himself from stuttering and nearly sobbing.

Rihelah stood there in shock, letting the reality of the moment set in. He is... he's holding me! Michael. THE Michael is actually here... and his arms are around me right now! After everything I went through today; all the horrors... to jump all the way from that to... Wow... Can things please stay like this forever? What do I even say to him??

She returned his gesture, holding him with her own, larger forelegs. Her palps brushed against the chitin alongside his thorax and her mandibles opened automatically while her head rotated, moving into just the right position to bite. Her antennae had swept backward, her forelegs readying themselves to lock him down in preparation to...

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?! She stopped herself just in time.

Right! I'm still hungry! Damn it!! She backed away hurriedly, recoiling in horror at her body's reaction.

Michael simultaneously released his grip and his antennae swept backward. Fuck! It suddenly got awkward! What did I do wrong?? She turned her head in a weird way and then pulled away so strongly... Maybe she... doesn't see our past the same way as me... His antennae drooped while his forelegs drew up tight.

Oh, God... I almost attacked him! I tried to eat the best friend I ever had!! I'm a monster... Her traumatized mind's emotions swam into deep, dark territory. Things got worse when she saw his body language.

Fuck! He noticed! He can tell I am dangerous to be around! Of course he would! He used to keep mantids when we were kids... So he also knows how... a female mantis will... That means we can never actually... Despite her terrible hunger, Rihelah forced herself to settle back in place while clenching her forelegs and mandibles so hard they could both hear her chitin creaking.

Fuck! She's pissed!! I guess things aren't like I hoped... Fuck my life!! But hey, at least she's here. That means at least maybe there's a chance, right? He centered himself beneath the stem while trying to find some positive way of thinking about their situation. His antennae perked up just a bit.

Rihelah hung beneath the adjacent stem, her stomach screaming at her to find something to eat.

How am I supposed to focus on food when... Michael's my best friend and... but now... I mean, I get to see him again, but... We never had an awkward silence like this before! What does it mean?? Should I say something? It feels like I should!

[Th-things will be fine, Michael! Our friendship will continue forward no matter what! Unbreakable and unchanging! I want you to know I will never... stop wanting to be your friend, just like always!] She stammered out. Please understand! God, I hope that breaks this tension...

[S-sure! Of course! Why would we ever be anything but friends... right?] He half-laughed while still whispering.

N-noo! He can't mean that! Please, not so soon... We had no time to get reacquainted! He must know by now that we are the only two mantids on this whole world, right?! But even knowing that, he still... She tensed up.

How is this fair?! To be so close to him and yet... I am no longer the same little girl I was! He has to know that! Even if not... I hoped that maybe... With her body going numb, Rihelah slowly bowed her head to look toward her hind feet while her antennae hung limply in despair. The pain of being rejected so quickly added to the stress of her recent traumatic experiences and terrible hunger to completely overwhelm her emotional state. Her mind shut down and she fell into torpor.

Michael shook his own head slightly. Well, crap! I get friend-zoned on the first night, then run my huge mouth and drive a nail right into my own coffin! Maybe it's too soon. Rebecca just left me a few days ago...

Heh. I guess there might be other mantids out there...? Naw, fuck that. Who cares if there are? I have no interest in being eaten by some hunger-crazed female to begin with. That's one kind of coffin I have zero interest in! I have to remember I'm a mantis, now. Something like romance can't possibly function in the same way it does for humans.

His thoughts turned to all the mantids he'd bred during his childhood. His antennae swept backward and trembled. More than half the male mantids I had were killed and eaten by their mates... Oh hell no! Fuck that noise!

He looked at Rihelah's beautiful shape for a moment while a feeling of discomfort and tightness began to affect his thorax and abdomen. Hell, there's no telling if mating as we are would even feel good in the first place. Kissing is basically a no-go with these mouths of death. Hugs are awkward as hell with spiny limbs made to restrain and crush... Especially so, given how this body seems to enjoy going on autopilot when it comes to eating... Who knows, maybe she's right? Perhaps friendship is the best solution for us after all? Michael began trembling in sorrow, knowing full well he didn't want to believe his last thought in the slightest.

In that moment he became extremely grateful for his body's inability to shed tears, lest he make a spectacle of himself now and show weakness in front of her. Feeling his own despair taking over, Michael finally fell into torpor as well.

1