Chapter 16: Conflict
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16: Conflict

After a terrible nightmare in which she had been forced to watch herself eating the rancid, crispy remains of other specimens while still pinned down to that cork-board in Kaleb's cabin, Rihelah awoke when the first of morning's light shone through the windows of Sika's small cottage. She noticed Michael was still just centimeters away. Her palps quivered, and her stomach wrenched. She looked back at her too-thin abdomen in dismay.

I should be happy to be near him, but I'm starving!! I need to find something to eat, or... She shuddered as she recalled nearly trying to eat Michael, then forced herself to move away from his protein-rich body. She climbed down to the table near the open window and took in the room.

A simple, sparsely-appointed cottage with mostly potted plants for decoration. One sturdy table with three chairs. Three beds, one of which lay empty. Both elven girls were still asleep, and she could hear distant bird songs from outside.

Rihelah's hunger urged her forward, and she listened. She poked her head out the window, wary of birds after hearing their calls. There were a few damselflies and other tiny insects flitting about, but that was all.

Having spotted nothing dangerous, she raced down the outside wall toward an enticing flower bed alongside the cabin.

Just before she arrived, one of the damselflies dipped toward her, its six legs open as it sought to trap her.

Fuck! So fast! Rihelah whirled around and readied her forelegs. Fine! You want a fight? Due to her position against the wall, the aerial hunter was forced to slow itself considerably to avoid crashing. Rihelah struck as soon as it was in range, her powerful forelegs latching securely onto its body despite the damselfly's best efforts to entrap her with its own legs. It understood too late that the slender, enticing insect it had spotted upon the wall was far stronger than anticipated. Six wings beat frantically while it tried and failed miserably to gain the upper hand.

Realizing it had made a grave miscalculation regarding her size and power, the creature attempted to flee, but a starved Rihelah hung on tenaciously. Hunger and aggression spurred her on as she anchored herself to the wall and began her meal in earnest. Her conscious mind took a back seat as she allowed her overwhelming desire to feed run the show.

Fifteen seconds later, little remained of the damselfly's head, save the hardest parts of its mandibles, which she spat aside before crunching greedily into its meaty thorax. Not long afterward, its wings ceased their beating and she settled in to feed, her entire body trembling with joy at the carnal savagery of consuming another living thing.

You have defeated Maidenfly Level 8. Experience Gained.

Rihelah's sharp eyes spotted something green as it poked out from the window above. [Michael! Come down here! These maidenflies are delicious! See if you can catch one!]

Michael's head rotated downward and he immediately started climbing down toward her. [Oh! Yeah... I'm super hungry after I skipped dinner last night! How did you-]

He stopped talking, his head swiveling toward them when he saw two of the maidenflies headed straight for him. He turned himself to face them. The first maidenfly reached him and Michael struck, gripping its head in one foreleg while crunching four of its six legs together with the other. It struggled and panicked when he started biting into its head, and the other maidenfly stopped to hover for a second before fleeing.

[That's amazing! These things deliver themselves! Mmm... You're right! They are tasty!] He said while climbing downward to eat beside Rihelah.

Rihelah replied, [My mother would be so horrified... Here we are, eating uncooked meat while speaking with our mouths full!]

[Hah!! Yeah, she would! My mother on the other hand...] Michael gave a shrug while continuing to eat.

[Oh shit! The time when she laughed so hard she spat champagne halfway across the dinner table after your father ripped that spectacular fart in front of my parents!!] Rihelah snickered.

[It was their horrified reaction that did it... My mom always found it amusing when “proper folk” had to deal with “reality...”] Michael grinned to himself.

Rihelah replied, [When that smell hit, though...]

[Oh God... Even my mother wanted to kill him! My dad laughed like hell while she pummeled his shoulder, but everyone else fled the dining room in terror! Even our old dog Happy rubbed his nose on the carpet while whimpering, then he bolted through the house and out into the backyard! He got completely sideways on the waxed linoleum, claws scratching like hell to get a grip but he wasn't going anywhere for a few seconds-]

Rihelah replied, [I know!! Happy's eyes were huge! The poor boy kept pulling his tongue back into his mouth, probably trying keep from tasting that humidity in the air!]

[Yeahhh... Happy wasn't very happy...] Michael said, both of them laughing.

[It was pretty awful... Before that day, I always thought people were joking when they talked about farts that were so bad you could taste them!] Michael mused.

She smiled inwardly. [I missed you, Michael. All through high school and university, I never found anyone like you...] Rihelah looked at him while still chewing.

[I missed you too, dork! Everyone else eventually drifted away or stabbed me in the back. You're the only one I could always count on, Rihelah.] Michael said, his tone dead-serious.

[The feeling is mutual.] She replied, her tone matching his. But then she thought to herself, until I eventually lose myself to this body's insatiable hunger and try to murder you for sustenance...

You have defeated Maidenfly Level 7. Experience Gained.

The pair ate in silence until a family of stout humanoids dressed in clean, rugged leathers happened by Sika's cottage while headed toward Bogdin's inn. The tiny girl who had been walking between her parents pulled free and ran over to watch when she noticed the shimmering of damselfly wings moving about along with Rihelah's sparkling carapace.

Lisanne. Dinnae go runnin' away, noo!” Her mother said with a tight smile while chasing quickly after the child.

Michael and Rihelah began to edge higher up the wall, away from young fingers that started to reach toward them.

Der be weird bugs, mither! Lookit! Dey's chewin' up da may-den flies!” Lisanne pointed, nearly jamming her tiny fingers against the wall next to Rihelah. Both mantids dropped their meals and fled upward.

Gnuffy! Ye need tae see these, love!” The woman called out to find that the handsomely-bearded man had already ambled over.

What's th' fuss, Petra?” He asked cheerfully. Then his eyes fell on Rihelah and Michael, who recognized him from Bogdin's inn.

Och! Young Michael! Ah see ye've found yerself a girlie, then?” The dwarven man beamed at him and Rihelah while Petra picked up Lisanne to prevent her trampling into the flowerbed.

[Um... I'm sorry we didn't meet properly yesterday. Gnuffy, is it?] Michael looked mournfully at the half-eaten remains of his breakfast lying upon the soil below.

Ha! Tha's wha' mah dear Petra calls me! Mah name is Gnuff! Maker o' potions an' elixirs fer all o' Nytalis! Pleased tae meet ye, laddie!] With his left arm holding a smiling Petra close, Gnuff closed his right fist and then slammed it down over his heart with a wide grin.

[Uhm. Ah'm Michael! Pleased tae meet ye as well, laddie!] Michael immediately fell into his old habit of mirroring the other person's speech. He smacked his own “chest” with a foreleg.

Gnuff and Petra stood there for a moment with an incredulous look on their faces. Michael began to wonder if he had angered them until both suddenly burst out in laughter. “Tha's nae bad! Ye sound a wee bit foreign, tae be sure! But 'tis close enough fer th' present company!” Petra smiled as she lightly elbowed Gnuff, causing him to release his grip upon her shoulder. Little Lisanne had started laughing as well, and continued after both her parents had finished.

'Tis good tae meet ye, Michael. Welcome tae Nytalis! Who's yer pretty friend, then?” Petra asked while lightly bouncing Lisanne.

[My... name's Rihelah. Are you... dwarves?!] Rihelah stammered.

Hah! Aye! What else could we be, lassie?? Dinnae tell me ye've ne'er seen a dwarf 'afore?” Gnuff cocked his head with a smile as he flexed his considerable muscles.

His eyes sparkled with amusement when he saw Rihelah tremble. Petra elbowed him again. Harder.

Rihelah continued stumbling over her own words, [Real, live dwarves! Elves, too! This... is-]

Th' strange an' lovely village o' Nytalis, aye! Ye've been oot there in tha' forest wi' Michael all this time??” Petra asked.

[Um. Mostly. I was captured by a human and... It was unpleasant!] Rihelah did her best to remain civil.

By tha' money-crazed, enkelyn-hatin' Viago, Ah'll wager?” Gnuff asked her with a stony face.

Rihelah nodded, dumbfounded.

Tha' skinny-malinky long-legs... Always searchin' fer th' easiest way tae squeeze coin out o' them other Freelanders... Ne'er tried an honest day's work in 'is life, Ah tell ye! He-” Gnuff ranted for a moment, but then his voice became dangerously quiet. His mouth tightened, and he asked through clenched teeth. “He did'nae... sell ye tae one o' them filthswine Freelander bastards 'afore ye were found?”

Gnuff's already-blue eyes started to glow with a dangerous blue light while tiny arcs of electricity began to coalesce near his clenched fists. Petra gently placed her hand upon Gnuff's arm, and his bulging muscles relaxed just a little. He looked at his wife and took a deep breath before nodding. His eyes stopped glowing and the electrical energies dissipated. Petra smiled and kissed him on the cheek. Gnuff blushed.

Rihelah marveled at his obvious display of magical power. [I... He did. Long story, but I am safe now. Was that... magic?]

Aye. Mah Gnuffy's a fair-powerful wizard, though Ah cannae vouch fer his intelligence!” She grinned while ruffling his hair and they smiled at one another.

Petra continued, “Quite protective o' wee ones an' th' enkelyn, mah Gnuffy. Especially now, since our bonnie wee Boldras...” Petra trailed off, then looked at her husband. Tears streamed down her cheeks, and Gnuff's eyes had welled up also. “Lisanne must eat, noo... Dinnae keep us waitin', love...”

Petra nodded her head toward Michael and Rihelah, kissed Gnuff once more, then hurried off with Lisanne toward the inn.

Gnuff wiped at his eyes, then spoke. “Ah apologize fer th' unsightly display... Our son Boldras... Wee Lisanne's elder brother... passed away nae long ago...”

Neither Michael nor Rihelah knew what to say, but Gnuff did not miss the change in their body language upon hearing of his son's death.

Ah must stay by their side... Talk wi' ye soon, aye?”

[Of course...] [Yes, do what you must.] Michael and Rihelah replied.

Gnuff bowed his head to them before hurrying after his wife and daughter.

[That's terrible...] Michael said after Gnuff had gone.

[Mm.] Rihelah agreed. [But he seems like a good husband and father, looking after them like that.]

[Yeah. I think I like dwarves better than the humans we've met. At least so far.] He noted.

[Mm.] She agreed once more while looking down.

The sun had risen high enough to warm the air sufficiently, and by now the maidenflies were chasing tiny insects far above the ground. Rihelah looked at them longingly, then down at the still-struggling remains of Michael's maidenfly.

[Hey, uhm... Do you want the rest of that, Michael?] She gestured down to the fallen half of his former meal, her palps quivering outward in anticipation.

Michael looked in the direction of Bogdin's inn. Gnuff and his family entered, and there were already ants flowing in from the raised skyway. [I think I have a better idea. Follow me.]

Upon entering the inn from the skyway alongside the numerous ants, the mantids found it was extremely crowded inside. Bogdin laughed while he cooked and carried on with other dwarves who had seated themselves at his bar. The upper floor was abuzz with activity. Some of the ants waddled in with enormously-distended abdomens that were held up by one or two additional ants walking underneath for support.

They followed the ants upward, and were cheerfully greeted many times along the way. Both did their best to return the courtesy, though it made them feel slightly awkward for every single ant to greet them by name while they had no way of returning the gesture. However, none seemed to mind in the slightest.

The upper level held thousands of ants, all of whom had organized themselves into neat lines to feed. Every single ant had the same basic appearance, but around 10% were clearly powerfully-built soldiers while most looked like classic worker ants.

Even the smallest ant was at least five times as large as Rihelah, and she was nearly half again as big as Michael. Some of the soldiers were nearly as massive as General Xochi, though most were closer to half her size. What floored the pair most about the ants was the precise organization of everything despite their astounding numbers.

The distended-abdomen ants climbed themselves atop purpose-built platforms to serve as feeding stations, where they regurgitated nectar for the others to drink. There were at least fifty such ants feeding others at once, and each ant who had eaten or finished feeding others passed out of the inn to return to work. No movement was wasted, and conversation was kept to a murmur.

[Wow. The efficiency of it all... I'm impressed!] Michael noted.

[Mm.] Rihelah nodded. But I am still hungry!

Michael nodded back. [Right! Let's go down to the bar and see about food!]

[Yes!] She agreed enthusiastically. Can he read minds? Hmm. Nah. He's a mantis like me. Look how skinny his ass is right now! Of course he's hungry! It feels kinda weird that I'm bigger than him...

After navigating around the procession of ants and reaching the bar, they found various other enkelyn predators busily devouring those whitish crustacean-like arthropods as well as some other dark-shelled prey that looked a lot like miniature lobsters. Both small mantids were immediately intimidated by the huge spiders, assassin bugs, wasps, and other various and horrifying shapes neither of them recognized as they busily devoured the prey animals. One thing they all had in common; they were truly massive by comparison with Michael and Rihelah.

The pair shied away slightly, and Bogdin noticed. “Ah, there ye are, Michael! An' ye've brought th' wee lassie wi' ye! Welcome tae mah inn, Rihelah! Queen Zauna told me aboot ye! Dinnae be shy, now! Ev'ryone here's a friend! None o' them will bite unless ye're one o' these buggers!” He held up one of the cricket-like critters. “Come! Find yerselves a place wi' th' others an' Ah'll serve ye breakfast!”

[Uh. Sure?] Michael said uncertainly while taking a tentative step forward.

[Commme, younnng ones! Stannd alongside us and eatt!] The nearest assassin bug had turned toward them and drawled in a seedy, whisper-like tone. [Therre is nno nnneed to be shhhy!]

Rihelah took one tentative step backward with her left hind leg and Gnuff laughed. “Go on an' eat, lassie! Dinnae be afraid o' them on account o' their manner o' speakin'! Scholars, hunters an' teachers all are they! Keepers o' wisdom an' magic! Bogdin told us just 'afore ye entered how ye aren't from around here! Lophos! Will ye step upon mah hand tae show young Rihelah tha' we're friends?” Gnuff held out his hand low to the bar-top and the big assassin bug moved over toward him gracefully.

[Certainnly!] Lophos stepped on.

See? Ah know if ol' Lophos 'ere felt sae inclined, he could give ol' Gnuff a good sharp stab, or blast mah hand wi' magic. Likeways, Ah could roast half th' entire inn in a single instant wi' mah lightning! But who in th' world would do tha' tae their friends?? Ye see?” Gnuff held up his other hand, and Lophos raised one of his front legs to meet Gnuff's finger in a high-five-like gesture.

Lophos stepped off Gnuff's hand and moved over to greet them.

[Alll present are aware of your circummmstances, young onnnes. You've nnnnothing to fearr, for nonnne here would connnsume annother sapiennnt. All ennnkelyn are precious, for we have beennn hunnted for ages by humannns. Too few have our nnnumbers becommme.]

[I think... I've experienced some of what you're talking about.] Rihelah said grimly.

[Thennn you unnderstannd! Commme! Eat nnnow with us!] Lophos waved his antennae like eyebrows, then returned to his place to continue eating.

Rihelah and Michael looked at one another and shrugged their forelegs before walking over to join the others. Bogdin cheered, “Aye! There's th' spirit! Which dae ye prefer, then?” Bogdin held up a small cricket and crustacean with each hand.

Michael looked on in anticipation while Rihelah dreamily eyed what looked and smelled like an enormous ham upon a spit over a roaring fire. Gnuff looked on with raised eyebrows, and Michael noticed.

[Um. I wouldn't eat dwarven cooking, Rihelah. While I admit it smells and tastes amazing, cooked meat is not exactly... good for our digestion. That night when my father cleared out the dining room? This was worse... Happy would have keeled over.] Michael warned. The other predatory enkelyn all turned to look as one.

Gnuff put his hand over his mouth and stifled a laugh, while Bogdin's lips drew in tight as he did the same.

Rihelah looked at Michael and the two dwarven men and asked incredulously. [Really? I can't have cooked food?!]

Bogdin fought to keep from laughing aloud, “A-ha-ha-hem... Ah will put it this way, lassie. Yesterday, ol' Michael 'ere bravely tried some, an' earned himself a one-way pass tae th' privy!”

Michael nodded at her, and Rihelah deflated.

Bogdin finished chuckling and spoke, “Dinnae fret! These 'ere are said tae be quite tasty! Farm-raised right 'ere in Nytalis! Just as we've pens fer our filthswine, splithoof, an' snapfowl, there are places where we raise food fer others wi' differin' tastes! Try them 'afore ye go a judgin'! Ah recommend th' springcrawlers, as th' season fer them is soon tae end!” He put the whitish crustacean back, then held up two very small dark crickets while wiggling his bushy eyebrows.

[That sounds fantastic, Bogdin! Thank you!] Michael nodded enthusiastically, which set Gnuff and Bogdin to chortling again while Bogdin held the insects down in front of the mantids.

Take care, now... these be a wee-bit strong an' springy!” He warned. All the assembled enkelyn who had a clear view turned their heads to watch with interest, as did all of the dwarves, who quieted down to observe.

However, they were all impressed when both Michael and Rihelah latched on and held the struggling crickets aloft while biting expertly into their heads.

[This technnnique is simmilar to mmy ownn! Nnnicely donne, younng onnnes!] Lophos remarked.

[Holy crap, these ARE delicious!] Rihelah blurted out while chewing with renewed vigor.

[It's like fine sushi from Japan-town! I could eat these every day!] Michael added.

Ye see? Th' others gathered 'ere know their business! Nytalis would'nae farm anythin' tha' tastes o' shite! Nae when we've a choice, tha' is!” Bogdin said cheerily while refilling dwarven mugs with something that smelled similar to apple cider.

[What is this soo-she from Ja-pannn townn?] Lophos drawled while looking in Michael's direction.

Stunned and slightly uncomfortable, Michael stopped chewing for a moment. Then he said, [Ah, it's a kind of raw food from a far away place. Unfortunately, I don't think we can ever go back there. But it's okay, because this food is just as amazing!]

There was a brief, awkward silence before Bogdin shrugged. The other dwarves did the same, and the bar's patrons resumed eating.

Michael chewed with gusto while Lophos nodded his long head, appearing satisfied while he returned to his own meal.

Rihelah dispatched hers first, and Michael's died shortly afterward.

You have defeated Springcrawler Level 4. Experience Gained.

You have defeated Springcrawler Level 4. Experience Gained.

Afterward, they returned to Sika's cottage to find both elves were gone. Thus, they both stood awkwardly upon the windowsill.

[What do you suppose we should do until they return?] Rihelah asked.

Michael thought for a moment. [Hmm. I think, since we are in a safe place, and leveling up seems rather difficult with such low-level prey in the inn, perhaps we should find a way to train our strength and stamina? Growing stronger and faster is something I think we should both focus on. What do you think?]

Rihelah nodded. [Good point, though I'd include training our intelligence as well. Thinking hard over ways to create the magics I'm supposed to have earned me some additional intelligence, and perhaps I simply need more before I can make any spells.]

[Ah! Gnuff mentioned that Lophos can use magic! Maybe if we ask someone in the village, we can both learn the spells we are supposed to be capable of using! Technically, I can only use one. But I'd still like to have that available!] Michael replied.

Thus they set out to learn more about Nytalis and what opportunities lay in store.


Zauna gave her report to Sika after the interrogation. [She has not lied to us. Not once. There can be no doubt that Edana herself is not responsible for killing my ants, nor has she any memory of harming young Rihelah.]

How can that be?! She was seen!!” Sika said heatedly while Edana buried her face in her bound hands.

[Do you doubt my words, Lady Sika?] Zauna looked at the elven girl askance.

I... this... is difficult to understand.” Sika replied in a quiet voice.

[That it is. However, my power to perceive truth has never once been wrong. There must therefore be some explanation outside our understanding. Perhaps when your elder sister returns, she can help us to figure out what is happening. For now, I suggest we release young Edana from her bindings and treat her as before. She is not a threat to anyone in Nytalis, and she truly is despairing and suffering terribly for being treated as a criminal.] Zauna stated matter-of-factly.

You cannot mean that! With the tremendous power we wield, if she were to use it once more in the wrong place, thousands of your ants could die to just one frost breath!” Sika argued. Edana's red eyes welled up with tears again, and she began sniffling.

[Look well upon her suffering, and tell me you do not also wish for your sister to be declared innocent?] Zauna pointed toward Edana with her left antenna.

I... I do wish; I hope that she is innocent.” Sika whispered while looking at Edana with tears beginning to roll down her face.

Zauna looked at Sika and said quite seriously, [She is innocent. Of that I have no doubt. I ask that you trust me, just as I am putting my trust in my own ability and in her. Let all that happens afterward fall at my feet, for this is my decision and mine alone. I bid you release Edana from her bindings and embrace her as your sibling once more.]

The queen ant raised her voice and declared to all assembled within the chamber, [According to my authority as Queen of Nytalis, I hereby declare Edana cleared of all suspicion of wrongdoing in these matters.]

Sika staggered forward, looked into her little sister's pleading eyes and then wrapped her in a tight hug. Edana's eyes opened wide, then she closed them and nuzzled her head against her older sister's. Huge tears streamed down both their faces while Zauna looked on in approval. The rest of the ants who had gathered nodded, accepting the words of their queen without question.

Sika pulled away and then carefully cut her sister's bonds with force magic. The little girl bawled as she shakily brought her arms up to hug her big sister back.

[Please see to it that she is comforted and loved as before. This experience has doubtless been quite traumatic for such a young mind. We shall consult with Lady Sionella upon her return.] Zauna said before turning to address other concerns with her council.

Sika nodded, taking Edie's hand in hers. The enormous humanoid door to the main hall opened before them and they walked together toward Sika's cottage.

Please...” Edie whispered.

Hmm?” Sika asked, then sniffled a bit.

Please l-love me... again?” Edana looked at her with pleading eyes, her mouth quivering in uncertainty.

I never... stopped... loving you. Not. Once...” Sika nearly choked on her words, and they embraced again, holding one another tightly.


Tired from days of fighting by herself against an unknown and extremely well-organized army, Sionella shifted to her dragon fly form and darted away from the lost city of Tarmek. She had managed to slay thousands of the enemy's troops, but more kept arriving, and at a faster pace than even she could handle. While they had not yet managed to cause meaningful harm to her, she had grown weary enough for the situation to become dangerous. Thus, she retreated before her enemy could gain the upper hand.

Sionella brooded to herself during her rapid flight back toward Nytalis. That loathsome army hath lain waste to a peaceful city, slaughtering all who resided within. What manner of human nation would'st perpetrate such an atrocity against the defenseless?? Their numbers prove too great, their skill surpassing that of all known human forces upon the continent. To rebuff my power so thoroughly, that is unprecedented! Moreover, no known nation possesseth so many sea-worthy vessels... Thus, there can be little doubt as to whom we likely face.

Below her, she could see a long column of the enemy's soldiers marching along the road toward Nytalis. Sionella clenched her dragon-like jaw.

They hath already found a way past me! Nytalis must be informed with all haste!

Sionella formed an aerodynamic bubble of still air around herself with force magic and increased her already-considerable flight speed above the forest to the point where her movement became soundless to her own perception. The terribly-loud noise left in her wake startled every creature for leagues around as she passed overhead, too fast for most to catch sight of her. Less than three minutes later she slowed her flight as she approached Nytalis with grim tidings.


Back near the inn, Rihelah and Michael had found and begun speaking with Lophos about magic.

[Fire annnd water mmagics? Yes! There are certainnly those who mmay teach these to you withinnn these walls of Nnytalis! Seek out the fire annts annnd the elves!] Lophos replied.

[That's super helpful, Lophos! Thank you! Which kind of magic do you use?] Rihelah asked.

[Mmm. Vennomm Mmagic! It helps me to hunnt!] Lophos said proudly.

[Wow. That sounds useful!] Michael replied enthusiastically.

[Inndeed! Mmmagic is truly wonndrous! Creationn of ann elemmennnt fromm its commponnennts rather thann simmple mmannipulationnn! Do you also wish to learnn mmagic, Mmichael? If so, which kinnds are you able to learnnn? Simmilar to younng Rihelah, perhaps?] The big assassin bug drawled.

[Spirit magic. Unlike her, I can't make my own spells. But I can learn one if I find a teacher. I think.] Michael said uncertainly.

[Spirit mmmagic?! That is unnncommonnn! You are certainn of this?] Lophos leaned in closer while he drawled, causing the pair to back away slightly.

So he gets camouflage AND rarer magic than mine?! How is that fair?? Granted, I can learn four spells and he only gets one, but still! Rihelah pouted to herself, her forelegs tightening on themselves slightly.

[Um. Yes?] Michael said with antennae swept back.

[The elves. Yes. Perhaps they will knnnow of a way. Most unncommmonnn...] Lophos mused while scratching at the top of his narrow head with one antenna.

They were about to continue their conversation when Xochi's voice suddenly shouted into everyone's minds.

[Tarmek has fallen to an unknown force of humans! All residents were slain or taken prisoner! The enemy's troops are currently marching toward Nytalis! By order of the queen, all citizens of Nytalis must make ready for war! Fire ants, report to your commanders at once! All provisions must be stowed in their appropriate secured locations within the nest! Above-ground dwellings are to be abandoned at once! Prioritize the safety of brood and young! Livestock must be moved to the underground pens! The nest's storm shelter has been opened! All humanoids are advised to meet within as soon as possible! Please move carefully and in an orderly fashion! Work together to help ensure the safety of all!]

[I mmmust go ahead annd assist with preparationns! Mmake your way to the nnnest!] Lophos exclaimed while the entire village began moving as one to follow Xochi's orders.

Michael and Rihelah looked at one another while Lophos opened his wings and flew toward the tree at the center of the village.

[Check Sika's cottage first?] Rihelah asked.

[Exactly what I was thinking.] Michael replied.

Together they set out along the skyway toward their destination while the ants moved about much faster than usual. When they started to descend toward Sika's cottage a loud, deep horn sounded in three even blasts.

Moments later, a tremendous wind kicked up, buffeting the entire village. The ants hunkered down and clung tenaciously to the skyway's vines with their strong claws, but both Michael and Rihelah were pulled free by a strong gust and blown high into the sky above Nytalis.

[MICHAEL! WHAT”S HAPPENING?!] Rihelah screamed.

[I DON'T KNOW!! SEE IF WE CAN REACH EACH OTHER!] He yelled back.

While tumbling through the air alongside one another in the grip of that unnaturally powerful wind, the pair kept their claws ready to latch onto anything they touched, and eventually, two of their walking limbs came close enough to one another. Each secured their foot-claws to the other's limb and pulled hard.

[THERE! TRY TO GET OUR FORELEGS TOGETHER!] Michael cried.

[WORKING ON IT!] Rihelah strained.

Through cooperation, they finally managed to cling to one another as they sailed over the far wall of the village. The wind continued to howl as the tumbling pair were carried well away from the safety of Nytalis while holding fast to one another.


Rugar watched from his mount as the enchanted horn given to him crumbled to dust. He grinned, showing his yellowed teeth as he unsheathed his sword and pointed toward the enemy village.

A battle cry rose up from nearly three hundred troops as the Freedom Watch stormed past the now-ruined barrier that had once protected Nytalis. They deliberately trampled as many of the surprised fire ants as they could, trying to thin their numbers before the ants could use their fire spells in retaliation. The tactic worked only for a few seconds, but it was the fire-resistant armor the Freedom Watch troops had recently acquired that truly gave the ants pause.

Rugar watched in smug satisfaction as thousands of ants were quickly slaughtered. Sensing an easy victory, he kicked his swift reptilian mount into motion and turned away to report his mission's success to their command base along the Northern coast. He thrilled at the long-awaited extermination of these vermin who had dared build a presence so close to New Freeland. He chuckled with his deep, chocolatey voice and felt truly alive as the trees whipped past.

The surviving ants quickly retreated into their nest, so the Freedom Watch troops set about razing the surface buildings per their orders.

All seemed lost for Nytalis until a terrible blast of frost rolled over the entire village, engulfing all of the buildings along with the Freedom Watch soldiers in its chilling embrace. Their new enchanted armor helped somewhat, but most of them quickly grew too cold to function and fell over where they stood while spikes of frost grew from every surface, including their skin.

One among the few who were either strong or lucky enough to remain standing beheld a glowing sight they all feared. Frostbitten and with darkening vision, Kaleb shook uncontrollably while he screamed hoarsely, “ELVEN WITCH!! ARCHERS!!” He ducked into a house they'd ransacked in a desperate effort to save himself from certain death. But despite his call for support, no arrows had been nocked by fingers too cold to bend.

Sionella breathed once more. A deafening blast more powerful than the first engulfed the village. All of Freeland's soldiers save a few who had taken refuge fell immediately and permanently silent, breathing their last as the entire surface froze solid along with their bodies. The dragon fly disappeared down through the mist to continue her hunt.

Aside from a shivering pair of survivors who shambled stiffly out of Nytalis through the gelid fog, the village lay deathly still.


Rugar stopped his mount when he heard the terrible screech of frost breath, and turned to look back while a sour feeling of unease flowered in his guts. He kicked his mount into motion once again, headed back toward Nytalis. No, it can't be!

As he rode, his face darkened to a scowl. Our allies in Tarmek were supposed to keep that murderous brat busy! Neither of her sisters should be powerful enough to matter, especially after what was prepared! But that damnable sound... It was too fucking loud! Curse those bloody, dagger-eared witches!! He squeezed the reins hard in his hands, the prickle of deep hatred spreading through his entire body.

Arriving close enough to spot the deathly fog hanging over the entire village, he cursed silently to himself, lest he alert the deadly witch who had slaughtered his men. FUCK! That little monster of a cunt has already returned! I must tell the commander that we failed before she can destroy our outposts!

Paladin Rugar panicked and turned himself 'round once again. Kicking his mount hard enough to make it bellow in pain, he fled from the death-trap that was Nytalis. He didn't get far before a whitish-blue light flew overhead and hovered in front of him.

With bile rising in his throat, he urged his mount onward while he prepared his defense.

NO! Fuck off, you knife-eared elven hag! A bloody demon's curse be upon you and all your wretched kin, whose-!” His yell became a scream of terror as he raised his shield. The scream was cut short when Rugar and his huge mount disappeared inside a shrieking, carefully-focused blast of frost.

Furious and barely able to hold herself back, Sionella descended to the ground, shifted to her true form and roughly hauled a shivering, barely-conscious Rugar off the now-shuddering reptile. His frozen fingers snapped clean off of both hands as he was pulled free from both shield and reins. She grabbed his helmet and, using force magic, bent its enchanted, frozen steel with her bare hands.

May Lord Auronox forgive thee, for I shall not.” She said coldly as she peeled the helmet off his head in the same way one might peel a banana. One of his cheeks lost part of its skin that had been frozen to it.

Come along now, child. Thou hast much to answer for...” With a weary and grim expression she gripped the delirious man roughly by his long hair and dragged his frostbitten body over the uneven road behind her, back toward Nytalis.

Sionella squinted her eyes. Behind them a thin, invisible wall of force descended and neatly decapitated his trained war-mount. Its body went limp as the head fell away and a fountain of blood from its neck steamed as it arced through the frigid air before Rugar's eyes. The last thing the fallen paladin saw before losing consciousness was the frozen and shattered remains of his own hands.

1