Chapter 21: The Deep Lady
29 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21: The Deep Lady

“Please show me your other spell...” Sika said apprehensively.

Well, I can't cast it for another minute or so, and I'll only be able to use the weaker version of it, but I think it could be pretty useful!”  With that, Rihelah gave Michael and Sika a quick run-down of what her spell could do.

Erosive Spray: Create a 4cm sphere of water up to 1 meter away. Sphere gathers nearby fine abrasive materials for two seconds before firing two 1mm-wide, independently-targeted streams of water at 4,000psi for 0.5 seconds.

Gains one additional targeted stream per 50 INT.

Full-damage range: 2 meters from sphere location.

Streams may be fired simultaneously or in rapid succession. Hard materials will be swiftly damaged. Can cut through softer metals, and may damage the surface of hardened steel. Will not penetrate magical barriers.

May be used without an abrasive if desired, or if none are present. (Non-abrasive version fires near-instantaneously. Reduces MP cost and damage output to 25%.)

May be used continuously for double the casting cost per second.

Cost: 120MP

See? It's useful for cutting things. Even soft metals, though it seems like that would take a while. My dad's waterjets were something like 60,000psi, I think. That's fifteen times as powerful. Still, I'm certain this spell will be useful when I'm hunting!”

Uh-huh. And then you get sand in your dinner. If you're hunting for food, maybe avoid the abrasives?” Michael quipped.

Damn it, you're right! But it should still get the job done, and the casting cost in that case is only 25%!” She replied.

Sika wrinkled her nose and squinted while holding the bridge of her nose with her left hand.

“These units of measurement you describe... Are they from your world?” She looked up abruptly while taking her hand away. “Moreover, how can you possibly know with any precision what your magic is capable of until you feel it out through many days of practice?” The elf sounded incredulous.

Ohh boy, that's a lot to unpack all at once... Hey! If the dragon recreated them, there might be some science books in my room! Physics, biology, chemistry, astronomy, even some medical crap... I've got lots!” Rihelah spoke much faster than usual, then dashed away into the house-portion of the cave while Sika stood there with her mouth open.

“Is she always like this?” She asked.

You have no fucking idea... Just think of it as part of her charm!” Michael shook his head with a smile.

Rihelah returned bearing an armload of large hardcover books and beckoned them to follow her.

She plopped the heavy stack of books down upon the kitchen table triumphantly. “There! Everything you ever wanted to know about the physical and biological sciences!”

The elven girl opened one, and then another, then looked up while

“How am I supposed to read these weird symbols?” Sika deadpanned.

Oh. Right... Well, shit!” Rihelah pursed her lips.

It is quite enough that you two understand and can make use of the sciences from Earth. However, bringing such knowledge to the natives of this world without careful consideration will do more harm than good. Take a seat, children. It's story-time!” The powerful, yet gentle voice of a stunningly-beautiful woman washed musically over them as she strode into the kitchen with fluid grace.

Her raven hair flowed out behind her as if submerged in water. Two small golden horns rose above either of her elf-like ears, while her bewitching, seafoam-green eyes flashed with inner light. Deep black, star-shaped pupils pierced through everything, and it was clear who had arrived.

Sika immediately knelt before the dragon's human form, then vigorously motioned for Michael and Rihelah to do the same.

It's quite alright, child, for they know Me not. You may rise.” The dragon smiled at them as if looking upon newborn children.

“I... I'm-”

Yes. I mentioned in my letter that I have already read your minds, child.” She gave Rihelah a smile that somehow said, You're precious. Now be silent.

I am Lady Velrake. Mate to Lord Auronox, the Patriarch who created this world. I have chosen a manner of speaking which is familiar to you, for your minds are not yet prepared to handle even the most basic form of Dragonspeech.”

Yes. I did recreate the actual technology of your world within this place. I decided it best if you were rested and comfortable before hearing what I have to say. How? As easily as breathing, children. There are existences in The Universe far beyond your world's understanding.”

You two have been chosen to represent Earth, for its biosphere is slowly decaying as a result of native human activity. Your former kind is admittedly incapable of destroying all life upon that world, but they are quite capable of causing their own extinction.”

You are here to help Us determine if Earth's sapient inhabitants both require, and are desiring of assistance. We are intrigued by the presence of complex life upon Earth, especially given the fact that so many species there have evolved along similar paths to lifeforms created by Dragonkind.”

That said, We do not intend to intervene unless it makes sense to do so. Creation of a solar system is a simple task, even for the moderately powerful among Dragonkind. Thus, We see no reason to meddle with worlds that do not need, nor desire Our assistance.”

Lady Velrake's smile suddenly grew amused as she looked at Michael and Rihelah. “It may amuse you to know that humans from Earth are more than 99.9996% similar to those We created Ourselves. They are even capable of interbreeding with Our humans.”

Velrake looked at Michael. “No, humans cannot breed with elves. Nor can they have children with dwarves, Rihelah. The differences between those species are too great. Though coitus is certainly possible, conception is utterly impossible.”

Both mantids in human shape blushed fiercely and stared at their feet in embarrassment.

All non-sapient life from Earth has already been collected and seeded elsewhere for safekeeping. Thus, in the event humans from your world do not desire Our assistance and end up causing their own extinction, theirs is the only species that will cease to exist!”

Michael and Rihelah looked at one another with wide eyes, then both shook their heads.

Perhaps you feel you know what humans from Earth would choose, but don't be so certain. You only experienced the tiniest fraction of how humans think and what they do upon that planet.”

Velrake smiled. “You now face sixteen Hidden Trials, and you shall be rewarded as you pass them! To do so, simply be yourselves and try to live well; whatever that means for you, aliens from Earth!”

Lady Velrake held up her hand to stop their pending questions. “No further information will be given regarding the Trials. This is something you two must figure out on your own.”

No, you will not be returned to Earth, Rihelah. Would you still hope for that, knowing your souls would dissipate after being returned to your cremated bodies?” Velrake raised one of her perfect eyebrows just a hair, and Rihelah's hopeful posture deflated.

You were selected because you represent the common people of Earth. You are also well-acquainted with one another, and you both happened to die that day. There was also a bit of random luck involved as well. To tell the truth, you're not special at all! Sorry, but that's the way of it.”

Why not someone who knows your world's politics better? Leaders from your world were naturally excluded, because they seek dominion over others.”

No, you were not summoned here as heroes. In truth, you are both hilariously average; though not because you ever lacked the capacity to be exceptional! It's all about what you did with your former lives. Choices are key, children. Bear this in mind as you move forward.”

Mother also has a penchant for meddling, and your situation amused Her.”

It was your mother who sent us here?” Michael asked.

Indeed. She is Mother to millions of Our kind. Be thankful you caught Her eye, for you might have been sent elsewhere upon this world. The Universe itself cares little for who lives and who dies.”

Velrake glanced toward Michael. “Yes, one of My kind could quite easily travel to Earth and read every human's mind to get Our answer. But it was much simpler to allow The Universe to do things in a more efficient manner. The energy required to move a dragon across a distance of 2.5 million light-years is quite staggering, and it has to come from somewhere. By contrast, transporting your souls was hilariously cheap!”

Bear in mind, I speak from a Dragon's perspective. This method provides you both a second chance at life, in addition to providing Us what We require!”

Moreover, you are the first human souls from Earth to experience and wield actual magic. Furthermore, you have been granted use of The Universal System, which is usually reserved for higher life-forms. Only a select few from mortal species are ever allowed access.”

Velrake pointed toward a thoroughly-confused elven girl. “You see? Young Sika has no clue what I am speaking of. Be aware that you are two out of only three mortals upon this world who have been gifted usage of The System.”

You have been afforded special privileges in light of your Trials. However, this does not guarantee your survival, nor your success. You must be careful, and look out for one another. There are some whom you may come to call allies upon the world of Edon, but be warned; Dragonkind will not intervene if you get yourselves killed.”

You have also been granted a special boon by Me, and one even greater by Lord Auronox. These gifts will become apparent the next time you both evolve. Speaking of evolution, I suggest you pay close attention to how they may affect your ability to survive...” Lady Velrake turned her gaze slowly and deliberately toward Rihelah.

Now for the fun part! Sika, it is time you returned to your sisters. I shall send these two along when they are ready. Do not wait for them!” The moment Velrake finished saying so, Sika disappeared without a trace.

Worry not; she is safe.” Velrake chuckled.

First, I welcome you to Edon!” The dragon shifted to her true form. The kitchen abruptly warped outward and disappeared as her wings expanded to an impossible size along with the rest of her body.

They now floated in space, with stars all around. A blue and green planet floated in the distance.

How the fuck? Rihelah teetered upon her feet, unsure of how she was standing anywhere.

Michael and Rihelah stood slack-jawed while looking all around at the dragon that seemed too enormous to be real.

[[To answer your questions; this is My true form. As a petite Dragoness, I am slightly smaller than Mount Everest.]] Velrake's titanic, demure whisper crashed into their minds, and they collapsed to their asses.

Intelligence has increased to 48!

Intelligence has increased to 38!

Everything warped back, and they were sitting on the floor in the kitchen, looking up at the beautiful humanoid Lady Velrake. The Dragoness beamed at them, obviously on the verge of laughter.

The dragoness instantly schooled her face. “Second, you may teach anything you like to the peoples of this world. However, be warned that you will also have to live with the consequences of anything they learn. Let your experience from Earth inform your actions.”

Third, and perhaps most importantly, Rihelah knows something interesting about mantids that you don't!” Velrake shot a mischievous wink at Michael.

“What?! That makes no sense! I'm the one who studied them like a madma-”

Yes. Yes, you are. But she knows something important!” Velrake grinned.

[[One last thing, and I strongly caution you to heed these words; My six Children live upon this world as well.]] Velrake abruptly spoke into their minds once more, causing them both to fall to their knees.

Intelligence has increased to 49!

Intelligence has increased to 39!

[[Should you meet any of Them, do be polite no matter what They might say or do. I am by far the kindest Dragon upon this world, followed by My Lord. Our Children are both prone to whimsy, and quick to anger when mortals show disrespect. Consider yourselves duly warned.]]

Intelligence has increased to 50!

Intelligence has increased to 40!

There are six hours remaining before this space will cease to exist along with all its associated objects from your world. You two only have a short time remaining to be human with one another. I suggest you make good use of it!” Lady Velrake flashed an amused and highly-suggestive grin before disappearing without a trace.

I don't really like having my mind read, no matter who's doing the reading... And holy fuck, her voice might as well be a damned jackhammer whenever she uses Telepathy!” Michael fretted while getting to his feet.

Rihelah rubbed her head, then stood. “I agree... The invasion of our privacy was unsettling and pretty embarrassing.” She squinted up at him. “So... elves, huh? I guess it's normal for a guy to be into them.” Rihelah said quietly.

Yeah... Well, it's really just an aesthetic thing! But even if I were still a human, it sounds like I couldn't breed with an elf! Heh.”

Then Michael looked up at her with a playful grin. “Dwarves, though? Seriously?” He raised an eyebrow.

Hey! At least I was nice about your elf-thing! And yes! If you haven't noticed, Dwarves are built like brick shit-houses! Women are attracted to strong men!” She retorted.

Yeah, I know. Sorry. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it.” Michael shrugged.

It's okay... dick. We all act like one sometimes...” Rihelah blushed while glancing toward his pants.

He noticed and cleared his throat.

Uh... Yeah! So, what do you want to do for six hours? We could go out and hunt.” He offered.

That'd be the smart thing to do. Setting aside the obvious benefits of growing stronger, I bet we're gonna be hungry after this magic wears off.” She replied.

For some reason, I've hardly thought about food the whole time we've been in this weird double house. It feels kinda strange after experiencing the mind-blowing appetite of a mantis...” Michael looked at Rihelah intently.

She grew visibly flustered and half-laughed, “It is kinda odd. But hey, speaking of appetites... didn't Velrake just... I think she implied that we should...?”

Rihelah had stuttered a little while looking up at him nervously.

He replied, “Hah. Yeah, I'm pretty sure she did...”

Michael took a tentative step toward Rihelah, locking eyes with her.

Rihelah gave him a shy smile, and they gently came together. Both reveled in the tingle of touching the skin of the one they wanted most, and the embrace quickly escalated to a bear-hug.

Michael started to back away when he felt himself rising to the occasion against her taut stomach, but she noticed and pulled him to her while looking meaningfully into his eyes.

He bent down, and she closed her eyes while lifting her face toward his-

By the way, you're on your own when time runs out! So do keep that in mind while you still have a safe refuge to retreat into! Keep your wits about you while seeking a way out of My Lair! Have fun, you two!” Velrake's bemused, disembodied, and much-louder-than-usual voice reverberated in the kitchen. A glass at the edge of the counter teetered and fell, shattering across the tile floor.

Their eyes popped open wide and they stared at one another for a long moment. Michael's right bottom eyelid twitched a little, and they erupted in laughter while still holding one another.

Her timing! That was awful! What the fuck?” Michael managed through a chortle.

Yeah... We should go level up.” Rihelah stopped laughing while looking up at him with serious eyes.

Yeah, we should. Just be on the lookout for those scolumendras. If either of us sees that yellow glow, we avert our eyes, and then the fuck away from it. Fast!”

Mm!” She agreed, striking a classic Japanese photo pose while holding her fingers out in a peace sign.

Michael grinned and shook his head while heading for the front door. “You haven't changed a bit, ya little dork!”

Hey! I've changed quite a lot, thank you very much!” She squeezed her boobs up in front of her to accentuate their cleavage.

Michael kept walking without looking back and hollered, “Come on, Little-Miss-Lizard-Lips! We need to work on getting stronger!”

Her eyes flashed with mild annoyance as she stormed after him, “Michael! Damn your sorry hide! You know I've always hated that nickname! You're a damnable insect now, just like me! You can blow it out your ass, you sneaky little stoolfly!”


Trembling feverishly beneath the aging patchwork quilt upon his bed, Kaleb shrank away from the morning air's oppressive chill. Every time he moved just a little, his skin stuck to and then peeled free from the filthy, sweat-soaked gambeson beneath his armor.

The skin in his left armpit felt like it had started rubbing raw against one of the rough linen seams.

Thirsty...

He winced at a jolt of pain when he turned his neck just a little to check on his fingers. After a moment the pain receded far enough, and he cracked open his dry, aching eyelids.

Their tips had turned black, while the lower portions held a greenish tint.

My hands! That hells-borne monster... she did this to me!

All ten of his digits were rendered immobile since the instant he was blasted by frost, and had now swollen to near twice their normal size.

Piercing pain and severe pressure that had started at his wrists crept relentlessly into his forearms and toward his elbows while his fever continued to build.

Kaleb forced a bitter smile that re-opened the wounds upon his severely chapped lips. His hands now carried the slightest reek of dead animal, and he knew exactly what that meant.

A maniacal giggle escaped his lips. It made a poor defense against the despair now running through his head.

He couldn't hear well; both his ears had frozen and shattered in the intense cold, leaving horrid scabs upon either side of his head.

He'd barely escaped Nytalis through that deathly fog. His nose had gone numb at first, but now it felt like it was on fire.

With dulled senses, he failed to notice the creature that had entered his home.

Heika's departure had left him without hope.

“Whoring little bitchcunt...” He croaked through dried vocal cords. “Running off with... traitorous... quill-pushing bastards! No help for the only man who... Heh... Don't n-need her! Don't need any of them!”

Drowning his emotional grief beneath flood of anger as usual, Kaleb pushed down the mental anguish of having been unceremoniously abandoned by Heika the moment she'd witnessed his condition.

A muscle spasm wracked his parched throat, and he turned his aching thoughts toward the nearby chest that held three waterskins. His eyes refused to open, the lids stuck down as if glued in place.

That fiend... it took everything from me! He seethed.

The creek nearby would suffice if he could only reach it. However, his feverish body lacked the strength to stand, or even crawl.

A prickling sensation assaulted his right cheek, and a strange feeling of euphoria spread slowly across his face. Whispers of deliverance and absolution played about within his subconscious, and for a moment he wore the beginnings of an abject smile.

No! Those tree-fucking savages must pay for their crimes!

His flash of rage gave way to confusion when a sinuous, soothing voice welled up from within him.

Ssleep now, weary ssoul. Sseek the comfort of resst and be free from thiss pain. Be sstill, now. Lisssten. Obey, and your woundsss shall all be healed, your body ssstrengthened.

Kaleb grit his teeth at the soft, honeyed words from his other self. No. That's a steaming load of drake-shit! I've seen this before! Wounds like these never heal...

The worst memories from his childhood came rushing back, and he grit his teeth.

Mother, father! Both murdered by the blade-eared witches in our own home! They followed Freeland's laws, but those elf-cunts... They killed my beloved family anyway! How the fuck can murdering a child's law-abiding parents bring balance to the world?!

Kaleb's rage continued to grow as he willingly surrendered to it. Rotten forest-trash! Forcing their haughty will upon everyone; upon peoples who want no part of their wretched tyranny! I'll never forgive them! Never!

The other voice returned, matching his anger with its own. Yessss... Elves are ccertainly the enemy! Do you sseek vengeancce? I can provide thisss! I can make them sssuffer! Ssleep now, and I shall grant your greatesst desire!

He coughed feebly, unable to hack up his latest batch of bloody phlegm. My fingers are rotting off, and I can't do anything!

Fuck! Now I'm talking to a voice from my own fucking mind as if it's someone else! Stupid fucking fever... Kaleb chuckled bitterly to himself.

No. No! If I give up now, then those knife-eared cunts win! Better to let the other half of my mind take over. Probably feel better once I do...

Having reached his limit, Kaleb let go of everything.

Fine. You're a part of me anyway. Do it... Make them suffer! Give me strength! Heal this body and we'll make them all pay!

Mmm... Yessss! The second voice sighed in ecstasy.

The intruder's turbulent mana abruptly surged through its unwitting victim, crushing down upon the host body's sense of self. Kaleb's weakened and willing soul offered no defense whatsoever against being caged.

The last thing Kaleb heard was the cruel feminine chuckle of a voice that was clearly not his own. His awareness dissolved rapidly, and his soul became a source of energy for the parasitic creature now in absolute control of his body and his mind.

The empty husk that was once Kaleb fell into hibernation while its new resident busily set about cleaning house.


Sionella was roused from her slumber by the sound of intense whispering from just outside the hut.

“...tellin' ye fer th' last time! Th' lady must be allowed tae rest! Ah dinnae care how soon ye think we ought'tae be goin'! If ye need a task, Bristlebeard; move yer meaty, fat-headed dwarven arse over tae th' cookfires where ye belong!” Relynn hissed through clenched teeth.

“Mark mah words, ye stubborn woman! If we dinnae clear out soon, them bastards wull track us down! Ye can tell me all about yer pretty, oversleepin' rest-fantasy when them savages find us an' we're all bein' murrdered!” Bogdin spat back before he stomped away.

Sionella stepped out from the hut and placed a hand on Relynn's shoulder from behind, startling her.

“What the-?” The dwarven woman whirled around, then caught herself when she saw who it was. “Lassie- Ah mean, milady! Pray dinnae go frightenin' mah old bones like that!”

“Be not hard upon Master Bristlebeard, Relynn. Though his words may sound callous, he meaneth well. In truth, I admit he hath the right of things. We must keep everyone moving, lest the enemy's scouts draw near. My rest hath proven sufficient, and I dare not place any lives at risk in the name of comfort.” Sionella's mouth smiled slightly as she spoke, though her eyes betrayed lingering exhaustion.

“As ye say, milady...” Relynn stepped forward and hugged the elf, who returned the gesture for a brief moment before pulling back.

“Avoid the main road, and be certain all of thee moveth North, toward the coast. I shall return erelong.” Sionella shifted and zipped away into the sky.

Keeping low over the trees, she turned East and accelerated to half the speed of sound. About a minute later she turned South, slowed her flight speed and set about misleading the invaders toward the East once more while she searched for her sister-

Who appeared high in the sky before her without warning, shifting frantically to her dragon fly form as she plummeted toward the forest canopy.

[Sika! How did'st thou-] Sionella exclaimed as she raced to her sister's side.

[Lady Velrake! She healed my wounds and sent me here! I found Michael and Rihelah, and now they're with Her! Most importantly, She said we mustn't wait for them!] Sika said urgently.

[And we shall not take Her words lightly! Come, let us see to the evacuation with all haste!]

They shot down low above the trees together. Sionella took the lead as they wove their way just above the forest canopy, toward the tiny refugee encampment.


As they crept over the cavern floor not far from their refuge, Michael thought back to the moment he and Rihelah almost kissed.

If the dragon hadn't interrupted me and Rihelah, what would we be doing right now..? Damn it all, I have to know what she's thinking!

[Rihelah, do you like me?] He asked point-blank while glancing at her.

Both of them both stopped moving, and her head snapped toward him.

[Why would you ask something like that, Michael? Of course, I do... We've been friends ever since-] She began.

[That's not what I'm asking. I mean, do you like me?] He interrupted while placing special emphasis upon the word, “like.”

Rihelah's antennae stood straight up and trembled in shock. [Oh, that...] She looked down nervously, trying to parse out how to convey what she'd wanted to tell him for so long.

Michael's antennae began to droop a little. [You just gonna leave me hangin', here?]

[I was trying to find the right words to...] She started, then she looked up.

[Fuck it, I might as well just come out and tell it like it is! Of course, I like you, you silly bastard! I've liked you that way ever since we were kids!] She felt like a huge weight had been lifted from her back, but she grew tense in anticipation of his reply.

[I like you too, Rihelah. Always have, from the first day I met you. Never thought you'd be interested in me, though... Heh. My face is numb right now...]

[I... You do? You have?? Do you have any idea, Michael? Holy fuck, it's such a relief! Mine's numb, too! I like you so much... I wish we were in the house right now. You know I wanted to kiss you, right?]

[I could tell. The way you didn't pull away when you felt... well, that was kinda obvious!]

[Well... I died a virgin on Earth, so I figured since we'd only be human for a few hours...]

[Seriously?]

[Girls get horny, too! Especially around the guy we like most!]

[It's not that. I was just shocked that you'd never had... you know.]

[I just never met anyone who makes me feel the way you do, Michael. I was saving myself for someone who's actually worth doing that with. You're the only one I've ever found. Probably because I'm a weird girl... I don't like drinking, smoking, going to bars, or wild parties! People thought I was boring and asexual...]

Before Michael could get a word in edgewise, she ranted on.

[Do you know how many guys called me a frigid bitch because I wouldn't open my legs for them? The fuckers acted like they were somehow entitled to my vagina just because they had shown interest! How am I supposed to get excited about guys who behave like toddlers, and who only wanted to use my body to masturbate?]

Michael found a brief moment and was about to speak when she kept going.

[And let me tell you, I am no frigid bitch! I do want sex! I wanted to rip your clothes off practically the whole time we were in that Dragon-crafted house... When we hugged and I could feel it growing against my tummy... Holy shit, Michael! I just didn't know if you were interested in me, and I was afraid of asking.]

[Should we head back, then?]

[I want to... but first, I think we should get something accomplished out here. I doubt I could last for five hours doing that, anyway! I'm still a virgin, you know, and-]

A bright yellow light flashed against dark foliage in the distance, and it was moving toward them.

[Welp, looks like it's already time to go back! I guess we're gonna do it sooner than I thought!] Rihelah laughed.

[That sounds amazing to me, Rihelah! I've wanted to hold you for so long...] He paused thoughtfully. [You know, you rarely talk this much except when you're discussing science. I'd always hoped that maybe one day I could hear you talk about me in this way, and... It feels amazing, is what I'm trying to say!]

[Michael, the way you've always treated me like a human instead of being a complete asshole or putting me on a pedestal, that's what I love... Especially after the way most guys creeped after me in college. Fucking disgusting!]

Michael replied, [For me, I enjoy how I feel whenever you're near. When you aren't around, I always wonder how you're doing, whether you're happy, and I find myself hoping for your safety. Those years without you really sucked! I dated a couple of awful women, and the last one was especially bad...]

[No shit? I overheard you saying her name in your sleep, and I thought maybe you missed her! I felt bad for wanting to cuddle with you!]

[Hah! Not a chance. She ran off with my greedy pig of a boss on the day I died!]

[You're serious? That snide asshole who was talking with the police and coroner as if your death didn't matter? He-] Rihelah stopped herself.

[What? Was he annoyed they were asking him questions about me? That would be just like that sonofabitch. Townsman doesn't give a single fuck about anything or anyone if they don't earn him money. Since I was dead and unable to be a slave for him, I bet the prick lost all interest and acted impatient. That's the kind of person he is. And you know what? Any girl who'd chase after a guy like that is someone I'd rather not waste my time on.] Michael said matter-of-factly.

[You don't miss her at all?] Rihelah's antennae tweaked outward in confusion for a split second.

[Why would I? She abandoned me for a guy whose personality is like a marriage of convenience between the owner of a payday-loan scam and a loan shark! No. I don't miss her, and I damn sure don't like her!]

[And... I'm the girl you like?] She asked, mostly to be reassured.

[You're the only girl I like.] He said, with conviction.

[If you'd been around, I never would have dated anyone else. I kept trying to find someone like you, but people are so damned flighty... Everyone cheats on everyone, and I got so sick of it all! I was always the one being used. None of them wanted anything lasting or meaningful. Instant gratification was the name of their game, and that's just not interesting to me. Except with food. I will admit I loved to eat, even before I got these handy mandibles!] He looked at her and worked his jaws a bit for emphasis.

Rihelah giggled and returned the gesture.

The foreboding yellow light drew closer, and both of them picked up speed toward their safe-haven.

She responded, [Well, I like how you're always so protective of me, and how you never let me down any time I needed help. Damn, you know it feels amazing to finally get all of this out...]

[With everything that happened in the minutes before I was attacked, and then while I was dying; you were all I could think about, Rihelah. My last thoughts were of you...]

[I was... it was the same for me. You know, I'd be crying so hard right now if we were in our human bodies, Michael...]

[I know guys aren't supposed to, but I'd be crying, too. I've wanted to be with you for so long...]

[Oh stop it, you big, bloody dork! Everyone cries! Guys who try to hide that are just bottling things up, and no good ever comes of it! Besides, I'd want you even if you cried over stupid things. It's the person you are that always...] She trailed off as the light behind them drew closer still.

They both started to trot toward the shelter.

[Yeah, you're right.]

[You know, the reason I was coming to see you on the day we both died... I bought a brand-new outfit just for you. The same one I was wearing today. I was looking for you because I wanted to tell you how I felt.] She spoke quietly as they approached the safety of their refuge. The yellow light had grown brighter.

[Well, I'm glad you did!] He said nervously, as the thought of another headache filled him with dread.

[Me too! I just wish this centipede would leave us the hell alone!] She sounded tense.

[Fuck! It's getting too close!] Michael turned to look at her with swept-back antennae.

[Yeah, to hell with stealth! Run!] She cried while her own antennae whipped backward.

The pair of them bolted for the door, just visible ahead up the hill.

Behind them, the sound of claws clacking rapidly upon stone drove them to run even faster.

Just over halfway to the door from the place where they'd started running, the centipede's light came into full view behind them.

Both received a notification, and Michael swore.

You begin to feel drawn toward a predator's lure.

Intelligence has increased to 51!

Intelligence has increased to 41!

Michael yelled, [This is how it starts! Use your magic on that thing or we're fucking dead! Target its head with that fire spell! If you can burn its lure off-]

Before he'd finished speaking, a maidenfly of blue flame appeared in front of them and shot around to the left, turning in a wide arc toward their pursuer.

Both of them kept running as hard as they could. Their exceptional field of vision gave them a decent view of the spell when it impacted the scolumendra.

The bright flash illuminated the entire area for a split second while bathing them with intense heat. The “tree” they headed toward was actually a gigantic mushroom with fruiting bodies shaped like leaves.

Their single ears were momentarily deafened by the shockwave that slammed into them from behind.

You have escaped from the call of a predator's lure.

The light faded, replaced by the loud sounds of thrashing. Their eyes were momentarily blinded by Rihelah's spell, so they just kept on running.

Ten seconds later, they passed through the doorway and stumbled to a halt upon suddenly-human legs. The door closed behind them, and there was no longer any sign of the centipede.

[It was pulling... on my mind! Michael, I was so scared!] She threw herself into his arms.

For a few minutes, they simply held one another in silence.

Rihelah nuzzled against his chest. So warm, firm, and gentle. His arms are insistent, and protective... It feels like... I'm home.

He likes me. Michael, he... really likes me too! I waited so long... I worried so... m-much! Tears of joy and relief rolled down her face.

The pair pulled apart just far enough to lock eyes, and she noticed his were leaking just as much as her own. Her heart jumped, and Rihelah's whole body felt more alive than ever at that sight.

She attempted a smile, but only managed to twitch the corners of her mouth while her lips quivered uncontrollably.

They both laughed.

Then Michael's blue eyes grew serious. His hands pulled firmly against the small of Rihelah's back, nudging her toward him.

Her smile came easily this time and they were drawn to one another, kissing without any hesitation while she pressed her body tightly against his.

Rihelah's first kiss started with the gentle meeting of their lips, but pressure built steadily as both reveled in the softness and increased the urgency of their contact.

Rihelah also felt pressure starting to build elsewhere. Her own anatomy tingled in response, and she broke away just far enough to give him a look that made her own desire perfectly clear.

A trail of clothing led up the stairs to his room, and they spent the next four hours enjoying each other in a way that deepened their bond as well as their friendship.

Rihelah's first experience was among the best any girl could possibly hope for. Despite the fact that she was beyond ready for him, Michael warmed her up anyway.

Any discomfort or soreness she experienced was constantly washed away by her regeneration. Both of them treated the event with a sense of reverence, and that fact was mutually obvious.

But most importantly of all, her first time was with the man she'd always loved, and she knew he truly loved her back.

1