Chapter 22: Once Bitten
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 22: Once Bitten

After they'd showered, Rihelah cuddled up against Michael upon the living room couch of her “childhood home.” She reveled in the feel of the old red and white Afghan blanket her grandmother had knitted as a gift for her 4th birthday.

She whispered soft and low, “I can't believe Velrake was able to recreate this... It even has those grape juice stains from when we were little!” She ran her hand across the familiar discoloration in wonder.

Yeah, it all feels like a dream. Especially being together with you like this.” He squeezed her gently.

I don't want it to end, but we only have eleven minutes left...” Rihelah said while looking bitterly at the old grandfather clock.

Michael placed his hand gently against her cheek while locking eyes with her. “Well, it's not going to end. You're the girl of my dreams, and I'm not giving up on you just because we're not human anymore. I want to share my life with you, Rihelah. But we have to survive for that to happen, and as things stand we'll be damn lucky if we live to see tomorrow. We need to escape from this lair, and with that in mind...” Michael stood up and offered her his hand with a determined expression.

You're right.” She stood and hugged him tightly.

A few minutes later, they walked hand-in-hand through the exit from the temporary refuge afforded by Lady Velrake.

The light of the refuge winked out of existence behind them, a notification popped up for both of them, and they stood within the clammy darkness of Velrake's enormous lair.

Temporary Skill: Hairless Monkey removed.

After regaining their new bodies, they hurriedly unclasped as their minds quickly turned to thoughts of hunting.

[Fuck. You were right about one thing. I'm fucking famished...] Rihelah shook with hunger while she looked down at him. Her body tensed up to attack, but she just managed to keep her eager forelegs in check. Oh God, not again! This is bad!

[Well, don't eat me!] Michael half-joked while taking a not-so-small step away from her.

[Hah! Yeah, well... no worries! I'm not interested in junk foo-] She stopped her nervous reply at the sound of movement from just down the slope ahead.

[Oh shit. Do you think the centipede's still there?!] Rihelah whispered fiercely, the prickling feeling of danger causing her hunger to fade slightly.

[Stay perfectly still. I can see its legs... The fucker's still here!] He hissed his reply.

After a few more seconds their eyes had adjusted to the darkness and both of them beheld a gruesome sight.

The scolumendra centipede's body undulated rhythmically, but its head had been half-exploded and cauterized. One of its deadly, venomous forcipule claws now lay twitching a short distance away.

There was no sign of the lure that had caused so much trouble for Michael. [At least this bastard won't be fucking with our minds again! It's badly injured, and I'm pretty sure it can't bite us in that condition.]

He took a step forward, then paused, focusing upon the scolumendra with rapt attention.

[Uh. Yeah, but I still don't wanna get near that thing, Michael. Have you noticed how fucking big it is?!] She shivered with bad chills at that thought.

[Yeah, you're not wrong. Still, hear me out. In its current condition, I don't think that centipede will be chasing after us quite so easily. If we-]

She whipped her head toward Michael while cutting him off. [Please don't tell me you're thinking of trying to kill it?]

He shrugged as only a mantis can.

[Fuck!] Rihelah's attention snapped toward the centipede and she reared back into a threat pose when its huge body abruptly thrashed about. It brought its hindquarters forward, twin tail-claws clamping down and then scraping over the front of its injured body as if it were trying to remove some attacker that didn't exist.

Its head appeared to be stuck in place and its attempts to wriggle free were fruitless.

[Damn... I don't think it has any idea what's going on. I've seen this kind of behavior before when I found a big centipede whose head I accidentally cut off with a shovel while digging a French drain for my dad. The body writhed repeatedly like this for quite a while before it stopped moving. Hours, I think...]

[Yeah? Well, while I really want it to stop moving, I'm not up for getting killed! Maybe we can just wait here for a while until its movement slows down?] She pleaded.

[It's dying. Look, there. I know it's hard to see with so little light, but its mouth is essentially gone, along with the lure and antennae. Its remaining eye is crusted over with something... I don't think it can see us.] He stepped forward a bit further.

[Michael, this is a really fucking bad idea...] She raised her voice.

[Yeah, it's stupid. I admit that. But think for a moment about our situation. We need to evolve as quickly as possible, and that means gaining as much experience as we can, as quickly as possible so that we can reach whatever level is required.]

[But this thing's like fifty times our size, Michael! How do you intend to kill it without magic? I mean, technically I could blast it again, but then I'll be out of mana! What if something else hears that explosion and comes running over for dinner?]

[Are you not understanding just how powerful your spell was? You just destroyed its head! You incapacitated a predator almost two orders of magnitude bigger than we are!]

[Yeah. I did what needed doing, and since it's unable to chase us now, I don't see the need for-]

[I'm gonna try out my new attack skill. I'll try to hit it in a vulnerable spot and then jump away.] He considered the slowly-writhing body of the centipede for a moment.

[You can be so fucking stubborn sometimes... Why are you so focused on killing this thing? Look at where its head should be! It'll eventually die anyway!]

[Yeah, I know. But I also need to level up, and I did nothing but run away before!]

[Okay, so let's find something that won't crush us into a green paste if we're hit?]

I need to lighten the mood. He snapped his head toward Rihelah. [Here's the part where I'm supposed to say, “hold my beer!”]

[Oh yeah, that's just fucking hilarious. No, really.] She did her best approximation of a facepalm while exhaling slowly.

[I'm doing this because I lack the strength to protect you, Rihelah. There may not be another chance for us to kill something so strong without alerting other predators...] He began to stalk forward, heading toward the right side of the huge creature.

Rihelah hissed, [Damn fool man...tis! You're my man, now! You'd better not get yourself killed!]

[I'm doing what I think will give us the best chance of getting out of here alive. There's a possibility evolution can help with that.]

He paused and looked back at her when the slightly-sweet smell of charred centipede hit his antennae.

[Tell you what... If it turns out this is a stupid idea, I'll back off and we can look for something else, okay?]

[Fine. So long as you keep your word. Be careful...]

Stopping carefully and quietly, not far from one side of the injured scolumendra, Michael observed the pattern of its undulation and targeted a spot on the side of its body, not far behind its half-destroyed head and just above one of the legs.

Without warning, Michael exploded forward much faster than Rihelah had anticipated. He struck out violently with his hard forelegs against the soft side of the scolumendra.

The impact knocked him a short distance backward as the centipede's body heaved violently in front of him. Michael skittered upon on his legs, putting just enough distance between him and the centipede to avoid its long, powerful hind legs as they slammed down where he had been.

While his own attack hadn't done much more than startle the dying creature, one of the sharp leg-claws upon the centipede's tail tore through the soft chitin where Michael had struck it. The reaction was immediate.

The scolumendra thrashed explosively, bludgeoning its own body against the ground hard enough to open the new wound a bit further. Ichor splashed out each time its body slammed into the cavern floor.

Michael rushed back to Rihelah's side.

She did her best to glare at him with her compound eyes and antennae, but he was still focused on his intended prey.

[See? I avoided getting hurt! Now we wait for it to calm down, and I can hit it again in a different spot! As long as I don't try to latch on, I should be fine... I think this thing may end up killing itself for us with just the right prodding!] He exclaimed.

Rihelah shook her head, but Michael's antennae stood up straight.

He continued, [Hey! With that in mind... I think I have a safer idea!]

He moved off to their right and began searching along the ground.

[Wait! Stop, Michael! What's your idea?]

[Croquet!]

[Croquet?]

[Just watch!]

Michael moved down just a bit toward the centipede. He'd latched onto two pebbles with his forelegs, and positioned them both carefully in front of him.

[Seriously, Michael? You think that's going to-]

He smacked one of the pebbles hard with both forelegs, flicking it against the scolumendra's damaged head.

[-get its... attention?] She muttered quietly while watching the massive tail as it whipped forward.

Both long, clawed legs of the centipede's tail plunged into the space between its head and the next segment where the stone had hit, opening a much larger wound than the first strike had.

Ichor poured out while Michael's enormous victim writhed, repeatedly slamming its body against the ground for another solid minute.

Each strong motion caused more ichor to pour out, and by the end of its latest tantrum, the centipede's movements had slowed considerably.

[I think I'm wearing it out!] Michael flicked the other pebble toward the scolumendra centipede's midsection, but it arced too high, missing entirely. [Damn!]

[Well, I like this idea a lot better than the first one!] Rihelah sounded relieved as she moved to join him in searching for small stones.

Ten minutes later, with self-inflicted wounds all over the front half of its body, the centipede no longer seemed like it had enough energy to lash out with its hindquarters.

Ichor continued to seep out, drenching the ground beneath its front section.

The smell of its wounds had saturated the nearby air, and Michael was so hungry, his mantis brain could no longer stand idly by.

He rushed forward and ducked his head to try a sip from one of the newer wounds.

[Rihelah! You have to try this! It sort of reminds me of this fancy melon and crab salad I tried once at an opera gala! Mmm...]

His surroundings melted away and his instinct took over as Michael's famished body bent itself in further so he could take a bite of the sweet flesh in front of him.

[Michael, what are you- WATCH OUT!!] Rihelah's yell became a scream.

The source of his euphoria lurched away, pulling him along with it while his mandibles refused to let go. His panic remedied that situation, but he was already tumbling through the air. After regaining control of his senses, Michael barely had time to look up before the scolumendra's tail slammed down from above, pinning him against the ground.

-81HP.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

His impaled body was flung violently away with a whip of the centipede's tail and he sailed through the air while pain flared in his abdomen. He landed upside down, skipping along the ground three times before his aching body slid to a halt.

-6HP.

-3HP.

-2HP.

He was struggling to right himself when Rihelah admonished him. [NO! Stop moving around! Let yourself heal first, dammit!]

She slid sideways to a stop near him, having run immediately to his aid.

Michael groaned out, [I'm fine! Well okay; not completely fine, but-]

[Why did you do that? Damn it, Michael! Things were going well!] She snapped.

[Don't worry. It hurts, but I'll be okay.] He winced a little. [No venom, at least! It'll be fine.] He reassured her.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

[Maybe you think it's fine, but don't you fucking scare me like that! Don't take stupid risks just because you're hungry! What if...] Her voice faltered. [What if I'd lost you...?]

[Sorry for worrying you... And yeah, I'm starving... This might sound strange, but have you ever had your body just act on its own? Mine has done it more than a couple of times. My legs have snapped insects out of the air without me telling them to... Pretty sure this was something like that.]

He did his best to keep his voice even and calm. Surprisingly, the pain helped with that.

[I... Well, a few times. I'm also hungry, but I've managed to keep control of myself even with... that smell...] Her voice changed.

She glanced at his abdomen, and the hunger boiled within her. [Your ass already looks a little better. In fact, it looks...]

Without warning, she seized his backside with her forelegs, squeezing some of his innards out through his open wounds.

-11HP.

[RIHELAH!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!] Michael screamed.

But she didn't hear him. She began to chew at his exposed guts.

-8HP.

[RIHELAH STARJIBI!! YOU ARE EATING ME!!] He bent forward and latched onto her head with his own forelegs.

His left foreleg crushed her right compound eye flat.

-20HP.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

For a few seconds, they grappled fiercely with one another until Rihelah's senses returned to her.

[AHHH!! WHAT IS... WHAT ARE WE DOING?!]

[THAT'S WHAT I WANT TO KNOW! YOU STARTED EATING ME, YOU FUCKING PSYCHO!!]

[LET GO, MICHAEL! YOU'RE HURTING MY EYE!]

[YOU LET GO FIRST! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO ATTACKED ME!]

After a tense moment, Rihelah released her hold upon him and trembled while Michael relaxed his grip.

She tasted the sweet nectar of food in her mouth, and she panicked.

[Oh my God... What have I done??] She collapsed into a heap and shielded her damaged compound eye while she wailed in despair.

Her body went completely numb, and she started to tremble.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

[You tried to turn me into your goddamn LUNCH! That's what!] Michael snapped at her as his wounds became less severe.

[I didn't mean... I can't control... it sometimes when... I... love you...] She sobbed.

Yeah, you sure do. On a fucking plate... He thought hotly to himself.

Michael started struggling to regain his feet, and Rihelah watched him for a moment before she stood up and moved to help.

[Here, M-Michael... you can-] She began to offer.

[STAY AWAY FROM ME!] He growled, cutting her off.

[But I'm... Michael, I just want to hel-] She wailed.

[NO! You are NOT yourself right now, and I'm not me, either! Maybe you don't realize; I almost tried to eat you back! Don't you get it? We're PREDATORS, Rihelah! And we're starving! The first thing we need to do is eat something! And NOT each other!]

[But I still... I don't want things to... it can't end... Not now... not like... this...]

[Dammit girl, give me a minute to think, here!]

He finally found a grip upon something hard with one of his forelegs and pulled himself upright.

The top of his abdomen burned slightly from the movement, and his wounds began to itch.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

Rihelah's compound eye had mended completely.

[You know what's kinda weird?] He asked in a strained voice as his pain eased a little more.

[What?]

[I think I'm getting used to being injured. Somehow, this time I didn't panic at all. Until my girlfriend started turning me into breakfast, that is...]

[Am I... Am I still your girlfriend?] She pleaded.

Michael took a moment to collect himself before he responded, much more calmly. [Of course you are, dummy.]

Her body shook, and she collapsed again while sobbing to herself.

[Rihelah. I didn't wait all these years while pining away after the girl of my dreams just to leave her because of an impulse that I know she can't control.]

[What kind of dream-girl... does w-what I-]

[The kind of girl I still love. The kind of girl I'll always love. Don't you ever doubt that!]

[Oh, Michael...] She covered her head with her forelegs and shook harder than ever while sobbing with relief.

[But we obviously need to be careful about eating. At least, enough to keep these bodies from acting on their own. I want to spend my life with you, not inside of you. Well... I mean... you know what I mean!] Memories of their morning together ran through his mind.

She managed a chuckle while recalling things from her own perspective. [Heh. You did feel incredible inside me...]

They rested in awkward silence for a short while.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

[Michael...] Rihelah paused for a second. [Do you think we'll ever get to make love again?]

[I don't know, Rihelah. I won't lie to you... I loved it. Experiencing that with you was even better than I ever imagined, and I really want to again. However, I am not excited about the idea of doing it as a mantis. Especially after what just happened.]

[That's what I'm afraid of, too. Not only that but... doing it as humans... It feels amazing! But even if we found a way to do it safely in these bodies, would there be any point unless we wanted to make hundreds of babies?]

[I wish I knew the answers, Rihelah. But I will tell you one thing. I will never give up on you. Even if this kind of thing happens again, as long as we survive it, I'll keep loving you. Dammit, girl. I've always loved you...] He trailed off while his voice choked up.

[I've always loved you too...] Her tone was even more affected than his, and though she longed to touch him, she didn't dare to try at that moment.

[Michael?]

[Yeah?]

[I wanna tell you something personal.]

[Okay. For the record, I'll always do my best to listen; no matter what you want to talk about.]

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

[I love you... That's not what I was going to... I mean I do, and I appreciate you with all my... Ahem. Umm. This is a little embarrassing to admit, but do you remember when we were seven, and we used to hold hands while running around?]

[Of course.]

[I always loved that. The feeling of your hand in mine was one of my favorite things. It always made me feel so happy... But that's not all.]

[No?]

[No. When we hid out in the treehouse in your backyard and in the bushes at the park... I was hoping you would kiss me.]

[Seriously?]

[Seriously. I just didn't know how to ask. It was something unknown, and since adults made a big deal out of that stuff, I thought maybe you'd make fun of me if I did.]

[I wouldn't have made fun of you. I liked you a lot, and I was always sad when we couldn't see each other. I sometimes thought about doing that with you too, but I figured you'd freak out and slap me or run and tell your mom. So I never brought it up.]

[Nope. I would have kissed you back. I wanted you to be my boyfriend, even back then.]

[Wow.]

[It's so wonderful to know that we're finally together, Michael. I just wish we could do things again like hugging, and... this morning...] She said longingly.

[Yeah. Heh. Was it even morning? That alarm clock worked on a 26-hour day, and it's always dark down here.] He mused.

+10HP Minor Regeneration.

Michael's stomach growled.

[We need to do something about this hunger before we end up attacking one another again.]

[As long as it's not rushing in and attacking that damn centipede again!]

[I knew it was unlikely that tail would have venom, and it's just flailing about, so I figured I'd survive even if I took a hit.] His voice became soft and pensive.

[Well, I need you to stop putting yourself in harm's way so carelessly. You're gonna take years off my life by pulling that kind of shit.] She muttered.

Michael considered mentioning the fact that she almost took away all his years, but thought better of it. That won't help anything. She didn't do it on purpose.

Silence prevailed for a moment, then Rihelah spoke again.

[Have you thought about what would have happened if you'd been wrong about that tail? This world is unfamiliar to us. We can't assume all creatures here will be similar to what we know from Earth just because a few of them have been so far. Why are you so eager to take risks?]

[What are you talking about? It's not like I enjoy danger! I didn't just charge in and attack without a single thought or care! Sometimes this body just reacts to things before my mind's had a chance to voice its opinion! I'm pretty sure you can empathize!]

[Umm. Yeah, obviously...]

[Look, don't stress about that. We're gonna find a solution to this.]

[Yeah, about that... Maybe I should see if I can injure that tail enough to keep it from attacking? I can use Erosive Spray to pierce into it from a safe distance. I haven't tried it in this way, yet... but maybe if I form the globe of water against its body before shooting the jets, it won't be so loud?]

[You know, that's a pretty damn good idea!] He admitted.

[It's worth a shot!]

[Stealth magic!]

She rushed forward to hug him, but he stopped her by putting up his forelegs. [Whoa! Easy, girl! I love you, but let's not forget what just happened! How about we eat something else before it happens again?]

0