Chapter 23: Evolution
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 23: Evolution

Rihelah used her Erosive Spray spell with spectacular results against the centipede's writhing posterior. Three point-blank blasts with three streams each caused severe trauma to its muscles, preventing the tail from twitching at all.

Michael and Rihelah found relief from their hunger at last as they set upon the enormous, incapacitated arthropod with savage abandon.

The pair delighted in the feast, as the ambrosial decadence of scolumendra meat and juices washed over their palps.

Once they had eaten their fill, Rihelah stood by to relax and clean herself while standing guard as Michael continued tearing into the centipede.

[I need to make sure I also get a decent amount of experience from this... I just hope it's worth it! I mean, it could be level 50 or higher!]

[Who knows? Might even be level 100!] The stressed-out tone of Rihelah's voice had eased at last.

Rather than continuing to eat, he used his sharp mandibles to carefully cut away large chunks of flesh before dropping them inside both his spirit storage and hers.

[Promise me if the meat doesn't keep well, you'll get rid of it?] Rihelah asked.

[I have just one question for you, Rihelah. Who was the pickier eater between the two of us when we were kids?]

[Right, I know. You wouldn't touch anything that had discolored at all, even if it wasn't spoiled. Sorry. I'm a little nervous about using this as a meat locker. What if we can't clean it afterward?]

Michael replied jovially, [I'll tell you what's on my mind. I don't want us to have another moment like what happened earlier, but I do want us both to feel comfortable around one another. That's more important to me than whether or not my storage spell carries an odor.]

[Well, I see your point.] She sounded happy.

As he worked, dozens of small arthropods resembling woodlice began to approach at last, attracted by the smell of the dying centipede.

Both mantids guarded their prey savagely against the ever-increasing number of intruders, who scattered like roaches when confronted.

Michael growled, [Tenacious little bastards! They keep coming back, but I don't want to share our experience for this with them!]

[We did the heavy lifting here, so fuck off and wait your turn!] Rihelah chased a large group of them away from the destroyed head of the scolumendra.

Once they had an ample supply of meat stored, Michael set about dealing as much damage to the centipede's tenaciously-alive body as possible while Rihelah ran laps around it to discourage the scavengers.

Michael busied himself by cutting along the sides of its body to hasten its loss of fluids, while also shearing off quite a few of its numerous, meaty legs to throw into his storage.

His work took nearly twenty minutes, but the two of them finally received a kill notification as their victim bled out at last.

Group kill of Mature Scolumendra Level 371. Experience Split.

Stalking Reaper Mantis has reached Level 20! +30HP, +12MP.

HP: 168/168 (+10HP/min.)

MP: 122/122 (+6MP/min.)

STR 20

AGI 23

INT 41

Evolution available!

--

Mantid Magus has reached Level 20! +12HP, +16MP.

HP: 121/121 (+10HP/min.)

MP: 182/182 (+7MP/min.)

STR 16

AGI 14

INT 51

Evolution available!

[Holy shit!] They stammered as one.

[I leveled to 20, and I can evolve! It was worth it after all!] Michael exclaimed as he hopped up and danced back and forth atop its corpse like a tiny savage.

[Same here! We need a safe spot to do this! Time for us to get away from this thing before more of the local wildlife realizes it's dead and comes to investigate!] She exclaimed as Michael hopped down to join her.

[No shit! I don't want to run into anything big... Especially not another of these!]

[Hmm. I'm thinking we should go vertical.] She said while looking up at the “tree” of a mushroom their magical hideaway had been attached to.

[Yeah, especially if we can find a spot where we won't be in danger from that damned yellow glow of these!] He gestured to the remains of the scolumendra, which by now had been covered by thousands of minuscule woodlouse-roaches.

While they departed, they noticed larger scavengers starting to arrive on the scene. Those included a group of the green-glow crustaceans they had seen being chased by the centipede that was subsequently eaten by Lady Velrake.

Michael cleaned himself fastidiously while they wandered carefully away, heading uphill rather than down.

Each time they spotted movement, the pair froze in place to observe. There were quite a few creatures around, and though most were even smaller than them, some terrified them.

Chief among the scary animals was something that looked like a cave-dwelling relative of the housecat. Fortunately for them, it appeared to be seeking larger prey as it headed in the exact opposite direction they were traveling.

Twice they skirted wide around the glow of a hunting scolumendra.

[You know... Regarding their behavior, one thing seems pretty consistent.] Rihelah remarked.

[Oh?]

[They tend to favor the low-lying areas while searching about and moving slowly. They only move to higher ground while chasing something. I wonder if there's a reason for that?]

[Huh. Now that you mention it, I think you're right. That said, I have no idea what the reason might be.]

[Mm. But now I'm curious! When we're bigger and stronger, maybe we can come down here and find out.]

[There's the little scientist I love!]

[Hey! I'm bigger than your scrawny ass, Michael!] She retorted while looming above him to his right.

[Bah! No matter what, I'll always think of you as my wonderful little woman!]

[Well... I don't mind the sound of that.] She moved closer.

They stopped and nuzzled against one another. Despite the fact that it was nowhere near the same as touching skin had been in their human bodies, both of them enjoyed the contact.

After a moment, Rihelah spoke quietly, [I'm glad you're not running away from me, Michael. You know I'd never hurt you intentionally... That never would have happened if not for this body's...] She struggled for the right adjective.

[Quirks.] He mused.

[Hah! Now there's a diplomatic way of putting it! I'm so glad you're here with me...] She melted against him.

[I'd rather be an insect with you here, right now, than anywhere else in the entire universe. Even if we can't do anything too intimate, I still want to be by your side no matter what.] He hugged her gently with his forelegs.

[You keep talking like that, and I'm gonna have to find a way to mate with you in this body, mister!]

[If we do find a safe way to do that, I won't complain. You are my life-mate, after all.]

[Is that... it sounded almost like a marriage proposal?] She asked quietly.

[Well, we are the only two mantids in the whole world-]

[Ugh. You sure know how to kill the mood sometimes!] She broke away and started walking again.

[Hey! You could at least let me finish! We're the only two in the whole world, but even if there were billions and every one of them were sapient, you'd be my choice no matter what.]

[Oh. I mean, I knew that. I should have... Sorry, it's all just so new to me. Knowing that... you love me.]

[Same here. It will probably take us some time to get used to it. Also, things will be different for us than they are for human couples. No more of... a lot of things we both want.]

[Yeah. It's pretty frustrating, experiencing that in the way I did, and not being able to get seconds!] Rihelah complained.

[You have no idea how much I agree...]

[Yeah, too bad I didn't turn into some hot elf girl for you, huh?]

Michael was about to respond when a light breeze stirred his antennae.

[Hold up. Did you feel that?] He asked while stopping to look around.

[Feel what? I don't- Oh!] She also froze and began scanning the area.

The only moving things visible were the ever-present, minuscule bioluminescent lights that flitted about high above.

After they resumed moving forward, the air around them started gaining humidity. The breeze increased to a gentle wind, and the background rumble within the cavern seemed louder.

The mushroom-tree forest started giving way to a place that looked more to their straining eyes like a shadowed botanical garden filled with bushes, rather than a forest. The local wildlife upon the cavern floor had changed as well.

As if to emphasize that fact, a ten-legged tarantula more than ten times the size of the scolumendra they'd killed wandered slowly toward them between the larger fungal bodies. Its tremendous hairy legs and abdomen seemed to sparkle, but when it passed close by they noticed it was actually covered in droplets of water.

[Holy fuck, that thing is huge! I hope it doesn't notice us...] Michael said as they flattened themselves against the base of a fungal bush's main stalk.

[We just have to practice the art of not-being-seen!] Rihelah joked once the gigantic spider had moved on.

[Oh hell... I haven't watched that since we were little!] He responded.

[I haven’t either, but it's damn good advice in our situation! I'm going after stealth in this next evolution if I can help it. I've had quite enough of being captured and otherwise running for my life, thanks.] She complained.

[No shit. God help the next person who tries to capture you if I gain the strength to do something about it.] He growled.

[Hey... keep it cool, love. If that happens again, we'll both do what we can, just like before. Just don't let your temper get the best of you like it did when we were little! You do scary things when you get mad...]

[That was one time! Anyway, that little turd Dalton was trying to rip your pants off! When I heard you scream out for help over the fence between our houses, what was I supposed to do?]

[You didn't have to actually break his nose, Michael... Yeah, he was being an asshole, and wouldn't let go of the waistband of my sweatpants. But he didn't actually try to yank them down. I would've broken his nose myself if he'd done that!]

[Well, the kind of behavior he had is similar to someone who's an abusive spouse, or worse...]

[I know. I mean, I know that now. He was a disgusting little jerk. Then again, his parents were both scary people, so I guess that's not really a surprise. Just make sure to keep that temper of yours in check.]

[What can I say? I'm protective of the girl I love.] He shrugged his forelegs.

[Why do you have to be such an adorable dork?] She leaned into him.

He shrugged again.

[Do you think we could hide in this fungus-bush to evolve?] She looked up.

[Hmm, maybe? Let's go up and have a look around.]

A few minutes of searching later, they had found a relatively-secluded spot near the top of the bush, and now clung securely beneath the shelter of a large cluster of fruiting bodies.

After agreeing that Rihelah would evolve first while Michael stood guard, both delved eagerly into their evolution options.

There were some additional notes prior to the available options this time around, and Rihelah's choices were quite different from before.

--

Blessed by the Gods! [L]: Congratulations! Your next evolution will include two special, permanent bonus traits granted to you and your mate by Lord Auronox and Lady Velrake. These traits will be revealed to you upon completion of your evolution and will remain for as long as you live. They may not be altered or removed, except by the Gods who provided them.

Be advised that common spells, skills, items, and traits lack any special designation.

Special-tier items and abilities will be labeled thus;

[U] - Uncommon

[R] - Rare

[A] - Ancient

[L] - Legendary

[M] - Mythical

[D] - Draconic

Each tier is listed by order of rarity and power or effect, from low to high and starting with Uncommon.

Be certain to choose each evolution carefully, as it will greatly influence your future options!

P.S. - I'm proud of you both for pulling your heads out of your asses at last!

Be good to one another!

xoxo

-V

--

Evolution Options:

1. Glacial Magus

Apprentice Enkelyn spellcaster. Stout and thick-limbed, this imposing ice-aspected mantis is an adept spellcaster and quite capable of holding its own in a fight. Gains a unique bonus spell. (Bonus spells can never be changed out for another spell or upgraded, but do not count toward your spell slot limit.)

  • Chitin durability increases by 50%

  • Regeneration: (+11HP/30sec.) Limbs regrow within 30 minutes. Reduces simple poison/venom duration by 90%.

  • Ice Magic unlocked

  • Earth Magic unlocked

  • Bonus Spell: Ice Shield

  • Gain 2 Spell Slots

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • +60 Base HP

  • +90 Base MP

  • +15 STR, +16 AGI, +24 INT

2. Storm Magus [U]

Apprentice Enkelyn spellcaster. Lithe and difficult to spot, this mage may wield devastating lightning and wind magics. While a Storm Magus is capable of avoiding notice while standing still, their spells almost always give away their position. Gains a unique bonus spell. (Does not count toward your spell slot limit.)

  • Minor Camouflage: Become difficult to notice for those lacking improved senses while hiding outdoors. Does not function while moving.

  • Regeneration: (+11HP/30sec.) Limbs regrow within 30 minutes. Reduces simple poison/venom duration by 90%.

  • Lightning Magic unlocked

  • Wind Magic unlocked

  • Bonus Spell: Lightning Shield [U]

  • Gain 2 Spell Slots

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • +60 Base HP

  • +140 Base MP

  • +13 STR, +18 AGI, +29 INT

3. Shroud Walker [U]

Apprentice Enkelyn spellcaster. The Shroud Walker receives only minor increases to physical power and speed. This mage favors magical prowess and enjoys moderate stealth. Gains a unique bonus spell. (Does not count toward your spell slot limit.)

  • Minor Camouflage: Become difficult to notice for those lacking improved senses while hiding outdoors. Does not function while moving.

  • Regeneration: (+11HP/30sec.) Limbs regrow within 30 minutes. Reduces simple poison/venom duration by 90%.

  • Light Magic unlocked

  • Shadow Magic unlocked

  • Bonus Spell: Occlude Self [U]

  • Gain 3 Spell Slots

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • +20 Base HP

  • +180 Base MP

  • +5 STR, +7 AGI, +48 INT

After telling Michael about her options, they were both concerned with the lack of a camouflage option to match his.

[The only thing I can think of is that Occlude Self spell. That sounds like it might be helpful, but it doesn’t give any details!] She complained.

[Yeah, but it sounds like that’s your best option.]

[Ugh. I know. Light and shadow magics could also be really useful. You know what? I’m gonna pick it. The other choices might have stronger offensive magics, but I already have fire and water. Maybe I can unlock other things later. For now, I’m sick of being noticed so easily!]

Having said that, Rihelah fell unconscious as her body began to evolve.

Michael carefully perused his own options while keeping his eyes peeled for danger.

He received all the same introductory information that Rihelah had, along with the same note from Lady Velrake.

Evolution Options:

1. Knight of the Scythe

Become one who stands against many. Trade your magical potency for physical power. Gleaming metallic chitin blades hidden within this Knight’s long raptorial scythes are capable of cleaving through lightly-armored enemies, shearing off limbs and heads alike before continuing toward other foes. This frenzied warrior gives up half its current intelligence (rounded down) in favor of strong armor and potent regeneration along with massive bonuses to strength and agility.

  • Chitin durability increases by 100%

  • Your physical damage is increased by 50%

  • Your spell damage is decreased by 50%

  • Superior Regeneration: (+21HP/30sec.) Limbs regrow within 10 minutes. Reduces simple poison/venom duration by 90%.

  • Scythe Cleave

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • +205 Base HP

  • -55 Base MP

  • +45 STR, +45 AGI, -20 INT

2. Scythe Saint [U]

Strong, agile, and quick; the Scythe Saint stalks prey unseen before striking where it hurts. Specialized for dealing high sneak-attack damage to solitary enemies, this creature may struggle if cornered or surrounded by multiple foes.

  • Chitin durability increased by 50%

  • Camouflage [U]: Become difficult to notice for those lacking magical sight while sneaking or hiding.

  • Regeneration: (+11HP/30sec.) Limbs regrow within 30 minutes. Reduces simple poison/venom duration by 90%.

  • Lesser Assassinate: Your physical damage is increased by 200% when performing a successful sneak attack against solitary enemies. Does not function if your presence is noticed by your target, or if other enemies are close enough to strike you in melee combat.

  • Gain 1 Spell Slot

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • +120HP

  • +80MP

  • +20 STR, + 24 AGI, +16 INT

3. Spellscythe [U]

The formidable forelegs of this mantis become even more lethal when imbued with elemental magic. Freeze, burn, or electrocute your victims with specialized melee attack spells.

  • Chitin durability increased by 50%

  • Regeneration: (+11HP/30sec.) Limbs regrow within 30 minutes. Reduces simple poison/venom duration by 90%.

  • Elemental Strike [U]

  • Elemental Grapple [U]

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • Bonus Trait (Hidden)

  • +100HP

  • +100MP

  • +16 STR, +20 AGI, +24 INT

Well… At least this choice seems pretty simple. With how bad Rihelah’s experience has been, being seen is our number one enemy.

Without actually meaning to start the process, Michael had made his decision and fell into torpor to begin his own evolution alongside Rihelah.

1