Chapter 5 – The Moment
2.1k 17 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My eyes dart from person to person. I keep looking for any sign of Blake, any hint of her clothes that’ll make her stand out to me in the crowd. Or her hair. Or the way she walks. 

Okay, maybe I need to dial it a bit down before I start feeling creepy.

Still, she’s running late and I’m starting to get anxious. Everyone is starting to filter into the building and I’ve yet to notice her. Normally we hang outside for a bit before the doors open up, so it’s odd that she’s late. “Come on, Blake,” I whisper beneath my breath. I hug my arms across my chest and frown with worry. “Where are you?”

Then I see it. A flash of ashen brown amongst a sea of mundane colors. Or well, okay, some of the other students have some crazy hair colors like purple or blue, but Blake’s still stands out to me just as clearly. I almost sprint over to her, but I manage to control myself enough to swiftly walk instead.

I smile. “Hi, Bla--” I start, but the sound dies out in my throat. She looks awful. Bags are under here redshot eyes and her clothes are even more unkempt and baggy than normal. She’s trudging along at a snail’s pace, and before I’d started talking she was completely avoiding eye contact with anyone else.

“Oh. Hey, Angel,” she says in a sad monotone.

“Blake, um, are you okay?” I reply, already knowing the answer but feeling compelled to ask anyways.

She stops and is quiet for a second in front of me. “Is it that obvious?”

“A little, yeah.”

She sighs, looking off to the side. “Of course.” She turns back to me. “Look, can we talk about this later? Someplace else? Let’s just get to class for now.”

“Yeah, of course!” We start walking into the main building side by side. She picks up the pace a little with me here, but she’s still going slow enough to have me concerned. In fact, I’m so worried I almost forget what I wanted to talk to her about today. An idea forms in my head. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone here? I can talk to Blake and help her feel better, and then get my feelings off my chest at the same time. Surely nothing could go wrong doing that, right?

“Maybe we could talk in the backroom, during film club? It’s pretty private back there,” I ask. “Besides, I have something I wanted to talk with you about anyways,” I add quickly.

“Sure, that’s fine, I guess,” Blake agrees sullenly.

I nod, satisfied. I’ve got the setting picked out like I wanted, so now I can focus on being there for Blake. I might have an enormous crush on her that I’ve only just recently realized the full extent of, but I’m still her friend first and foremost. I want to help her with whatever is bothering her. I just hope I don’t cause another issue too by confessing to her. 

 

------------------------

 

 The school day drags by. I’m not really able to focus in class much throughout the day. Thoughts of Blake keep filling my mind: our mission, our friendship, our future. And, of course, my worries too. I’ve seen plenty of Blake being sad during the last month, but never first thing in the morning. Whatever is eating at her really must be serious. And it’s so surprising too considering that she looked like she was in such good spirits when she left my house yesterday.

By the time the final bell rings, I’m practically sprinting out of class to get to my locker. Notebooks in, backpack out, and down the hall I go to film club. In truth it’s more like a club for amateur videos and movies, most of which are used in-school during class projects. In fact the morning announcements are actually filmed by the club president and vice-president, but neither Blake nor I are invested enough in the club to receive that responsibility. Which is honestly for the best, considering we have enough on our plate what with trying to get Blake’s curse activated and all.

Unsurprisingly, I’m the first one to arrive today. Most of the other students are still getting to their lockers and talking with friends. So instead I’m going to use this time to make sure there’s nothing in the back room to worry about. It’d be really unfortunate if our conversation accidentally got filmed or something. God, I can’t even imagine! Luckily I see no recording equipment set up or even in place in the back room when I walk in. Okay, scratch that worry off the list.

Now to think of what I’m even going to say to Blake. 

Hey, Blake! So, I know you’re upset today and worried about finding a girl to kiss and dealing with a lot of dysphoria, but I just want you to know that I really, really like you and think we’d make a great couple together! 

Heh. Yeah. No. Definitely not that. 

My thoughts are interrupted as Blake walks in through the door. I wasn’t expecting her to also get here this early! She looks around the room, spots me, then quickly darts over. “Alright, quick, get in the back room and shut the door!” she says. Or more like commands, to be honest. I obey and follow her in, shutting the door behind us.

“Okay,” Blake begins, turning to face me, “I rushed over here because I wanted as much privacy as I could with you before the rest of the club showed up.”

“Alright,” I reply, feeling a bit confused but also thankful since I wanted privacy too. “What’s on your mind? Why did you look so upset this morning?”

Blake sits down in one of the chairs in the room and motions for me to sit next to her. As I do, she leans down with her arms on her knees and stares at the floor. “It’s because, well… last night I had a really bad dysphoric episode.”

I nod. “I thought it might have been something like that.” I sigh sadly. “Are you okay?”

“Honestly, not really.” She hugs her arms to her chest, still avoiding looking at me. “This all just really sucks, you know? I can’t get a girl to kiss me to save my life, even with you helping me. And every day that this goes on, that the answer to all my problems continues to elude me and stay just outside my reach…” Her voice cracks and I hear her sniffle. “It’s torture, Angel. Just absolute torture.”

I reach over, my arm hovering over her back. “Is it okay if I rub your back?” She nods her consent and I soothingly rub my hand up and down her spine. “I’m so sorry, Blake. I know you’re trying your hardest. I see it everyday.”

“What if my hardest just isn’t good enough? What if I’m just destined to never actually get the curse to activate for me?” I see some tears drip from her face onto the ground and she chokes back a sob. “It all feels so hopeless. Like I’m not special enough. Like something about me makes me unable to get what came so easily to everyone else that’s been cursed in my family.” She clenches her fists against her leg. “And unlike them, I actually want it! I want to change into a girl!”

“Blake… you already are a girl, remember?”

“You know what I fucking mean, Angel!” Blake snaps. I recoil a little.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that,” I say back quietly. “I just meant… I know this is really hard for you. And getting this transformation is all you can think about. I can’t imagine what it must feel like to have something so magical be so difficult to achieve. But it is going to happen, Blake. It’s not a matter of if, it’s just a matter of when.”

Blake rubs some tears out of her eyes. “What if the ‘when’ is years from now, and I’ve lost all this time I could have spent just being a girl? I already know what I want, and I want it now. I’m sick of living this half-life.”

I look to the side, trying to think of what to say. She’s really fallen into a deep hole of depression this time. “It doesn’t have to be a half-life, Blake. Sure you haven’t transformed yet, but you’re already so incredibly feminine. Even as you are now!”

Blake looks up at me, her eyes wet with tears. “Really?”

I nod enthusiastically. “Definitely!”

She scoffs. “You’re just saying that to try and make me feel better.”

“I’m not!” I retort, almost offended. “Why would I lie just to spare your feelings? I wouldn’t be a very good friend if I did.” 

She’s quiet for a moment, then nods in agreement. “I suppose that’s true.” She looks away again. “I still feel like I can’t believe you though. I mean,” she leans up, gesturing at her body, “look at me! Does this look very feminine to you?”

I hold some of her hair in my hand and smile. “Absolutely.” 

She frowns. “Anyone can have long hair, that doesn’t mean anything.”

“It’s not just the hair, Blake. It’s everything about you.” I lean back, taking in a good look at all of her, and start gesturing with my hand. “The way you talk. The way you move. The way you sit and laugh and think. Hell, the more I get to know you, the more painfully obvious it becomes to me just how much of a girl you are!”

Blake blushes and avoids eye contact with me. She hugs her chest again, but this time it’s out of embarrassment rather than sadness. “Th-that’s--! There’s no way that’s true!”

“It’s one hundred percent true!” I laugh. “Even your little victory taunts yesterday when you were kicking my ass in fighting games were super girly!”

Blake curls up even more, making herself smaller. I can see that she’s really getting all blushy now and it’s absolutely adorable. “I, I don’t, y-you--!” she stammers, trying to come up with some sort of retort and failing spectacularly. Even she just lets out a huff and concedes, a giggle escaping her lips. “Okay, okay, alright! I guess I might just be a tad bit feminine as I am now.” 

“Haha! Victory!” I exclaim with a dramatic arm pump. She laughs and the sound of her laughter makes my heart swell. It feels awesome knowing I’ve helped pull her out of that slump she’s been in all day, even just a little.

She sniffles and wipes away some more tears from her cheeks. “Thanks, Angel. I’m still a bit sad, but I knew I could count on you to help cheer me up.”

“It’s okay to be sad, Blake. Hell, I imagine just about anyone would be sad in your shoes. Just, you know… remember that I’m here for you, alright? And things aren’t quite as bad as they might feel sometimes.”

She looks at me and smiles, her eyes looking into mine. We lock gazes like that for a few long seconds, then both quickly look away once we realize what we’re doing. “U-um!” Blake starts, no doubt feeling as awkward as I do right now. “Y-yeah, so. What was it you wanted to talk about?”

Oh right. Shit. I completely forgot that I was going to confess to her. Dammit, alright, time to get it together and just lay myself bare. “Well, I--”

“Actually, sorry, Angel, just. Can I say one more thing?” Blake interrupts, “Before you continue with that?” 

I let out a sigh and nod. “Yeah, sure, go for it. What’s up?”

Blake is quiet for a second, once more avoiding looking at me. She shuffles her feet and takes in a few deep breaths. “Well, s-so, last night, when I fell into this dysphoric spiral, it was because… It was because, I um…”

I tilt my head, feeling a bit confused. “It was because of what, Blake?”

She grips her thighs, bouncing one of her legs nervously. She stays like that for a few seconds, then suddenly shoots her posture up straight with her eyes closed and yells, “ItwasbecauseIrealizedIlikeyouandIwasworriedthatIwouldn’tbeagoodenoughgirlforyou!!!”

I blink. I blink again. I stare off into space as I process what I just heard. “Did, did you just say you… Like me? Like, like-me like me?”

She nods, her eyes still closed and her arms hugging her chest tightly. “Y-yeah. I, um. I like you, Angel. Like, as more than just a friend.”

I can’t believe this. Blake likes me! Blake likes me too! I’m completely caught off guard by her stealing my thunder like this. Honestly, though, I’m not even mad, because Blake actually likes me!! My mind races with everything I’ve hoped for suddenly being a reality. Already I’m even planning what to do next, where our first date should be, when--

“Angel? Are you okay?” Blake asks with concern in her voice. “You’ve just been staring off into space for like a minute now.”

“Um, uh, y-yeah! I’m okay!” I reply. “Sorry, I’m just processing this.”

She nods. “I understand. This has probably gotta be a lot for you and totally coming out of left field.” 

“Actually, um, I was kinda, sorta, maybe planning on confessing to you. That I, uh, like you too. As well.” 

This time Blake is the one staring off into space. No doubt her mind is filled with the same kind of thoughts mine was just moments earlier. Finally she laughs and says “Oh my god, I can’t believe this! Did we both just confess to each other at the same time?”

“It looks like it, yeah,” I reply, laughing as well. “Well, this is going way better than I thought it might!”

“You’re telling me! I was all worried all night about how you might react and if you’d think I was good enough for you, and then it turns out that you already like me anyways!”

“Blake,” I start, reaching a hand out to hold hers, “Of course you’re good enough for me. Do you have any idea just how much I’ve been crushing on you lately?”

Once again her cheeks light up bright pink. “Y-You have? How much?”

“A TON. Honestly, I just can’t stop thinking about you.”

She gasps and looks away, blushing furiously. God she is just so ridiculously cute. “I-I, um, I’ve been thinking about you a lot too. Ever since we had that dinner together and I said all those nice things about you.”

“Wow. Honestly I just kind of realized last night, but I think I’ve been low-key crushing on you for at least just as long too.”

Blake nods. “Last night was sort of a realization for me too. Just, how you’re always there for me. And kind to me. And you always know how to cheer me up.” She looks over at me and smiles. “You’re just… a really, really great guy, Angel.”

Something about the way she said that kind of rubs me the wrong way, but I push those feelings down and focus on the moment. I grab Blake’s other hand and give them both a squeeze. “And you’re just the coolest and most amazing girl I’ve ever met, Blake.”

She smiles and blushes some more, looking into my eyes happily. Then something crosses her expression and her eyes look away. “Are you… Are you sure about that, Angel? Are you sure that someone like me is enough of a girl for you?”

I nod without even skipping a beat. “Absolutely. When I look at you all I see is a girl. A cute, pretty, wonderful girl!”

Her eyes start to tear up and her lip wavers. “But I’m still--”

“You. You’re still you. And you’re always going to be you. I don’t care what you look like or how long it takes until we get you the body you’ve always wanted. I like you for who you are, and all I want is to see you happy.”

Blake’s face scrunches up and a tear slides down her cheek. Her eyes look back into mine and all I see is relief in them. “That’s all I want for you too, Angel. I want to make you happy, and make you feel as good as you make me feel when we’re together. You… You make me stronger. You give me hope that someday I really will become the girl I’ve always wanted to be.”

I guess it’s my turn to start getting teary-eyed. That was more than I ever could have hoped to hear from her after confessing. “I really like you Blake, and what you just said makes me feel so, so happy.”

She nods and smiles. “You too. What you’re always saying to me, and what you did today -- it really made me happy.”

I lean in a bit closer. “So then, I guess this means that we both accept each other’s confessions?”

She leans in too. “Yeah, looks like it.”

Our arms lean up, our fingers interlocking as our elbows touch together. “Then, Blake, does that mean you’ll be my girlfriend?”

She nods, her face just inches from mine. “I’d love to.”

I smile. “Then it’s official. You and me, we’re a couple now.”

Blake pulls her arms over my shoulders and stares deep into my eyes. “Perfect,” is all she says. Then our eyes close. She pulls me toward her, pressing her soft lips against mine. My mind explodes at the sensations. Every neuron in my brain focuses solely on the act of her and I kissing. Her taste, her smell, her texture. All of it I desperately try to memorize. It’s a difficult task, considering just how lovestruck I am by her. It’s truly just a perfect moment of us both willingly sharing our feelings for each other and cementing those emotions with such a tender action.

Then the moment ends. Abruptly.

A sudden force pushes us apart. A great flash of light illuminates the room, nearly blinding me. The chairs rattle and walls shake as what feels like galeforce winds swirl around us. “What--” I try to say, but am cut off by a thunderous boom. It’s as if a storm has appeared inside the building with us.

I hear a loud voice echo from nowhere. “No woman shall ever lie with a man from your line!” it yells. My eyes widen as I recognize the words. It couldn’t be. “Ne'er shall any of your descendants be fathers!” 

I look to Blake, whose face is covered with equal parts terror, confusion, and excitement. Suddenly she grabs at her stomach and falls off her chair. I try to reach for her, but some sort of invisible force keeps me from getting near her. I see her squirm on the ground, her body shaking. Something seems to be changing in her figure. Her hair is growing longer. The skin on her hands seems to lighten. I try to see more, to get to her, but another bright flash of light blinds me yet again and a powerful gust sends me flying back against the wall. I slump to the ground, the wind knocked out of me. I feel dizzy, disorientated, and completely unable to process what’s happening around me.

Then, as quickly as it all started, it ends. The room grows quiet and calm. All I can hear is the sound of Blake panting and my own groans of pain. Eventually I hear the sound of her slowly getting to her feet.

“Angel?” a soft, melodic voice asks. “Angel? Are you okay?”

“Blake?” I groan. I open my eyes and see the blurry image in front of me refocusing. “Is that you?”

“Yeah, of course! Oh my god, what happened to you?!”

She runs over to me, and as the distance between us closes she comes more clearly into focus. I nearly feel the breath taken out of me yet again. The person I see running toward me looks like Blake’s twin. She’s more graceful, softer, and so incredibly pretty. Her entire face has shifted in a way that seems extremely dramatic, yet remarkably subtle at the same time. Her eyes glow with a light in them that I’ve never seen before. Her clothes hang a bit looser on her, despite her overall being about the same height, but even with that I can see the obvious twin bulges of breasts sticking out from her chest. Her hips have more of a flare that her jeans are having a hard time containing. 

In short: Blake’s entire body has completely transformed into what I can only assume she would have looked like if she had been born a cis girl.

“Blake, you, your body--!” I manage to croak out, wincing a bit from pain in my back. “You’ve transformed!”

Blake looks down at herself, forgetting about me for a moment as she grabs and gropes different parts of her body through her clothes. Her face grows increasingly more ecstatic as she does so, a wide grin growing on her face and tears forming in her eyes. “Ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod--! Angel, it, I, you’re right! It happened! I, I, I turned into a girl!!” 

I nod, smiling, tears forming in my eyes too. It’s unbelievable. It’s wonderful. It’s amazing. It’s--

Wait. Wait wait wait wait wait.

“Blake… You transformed…”

“I know, Angel! I did it! I turned into a girl!!”

“You transformed… after kissing me?”

“Yeah, I kissed you and then--”

Blake stops dead in her tracks. Slowly she looks over at me. Shock replaces happiness in her face as realization seeps in. “Angel, I transformed after kissing you.”

I nod. We both stare at each other.

“What the fuck.” 

126