Ch. 7 – First Contact
1.6k 18 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Not only at the village entrance but also further in I see several people arguing, others running in a half panic around; something is clearly going on.

(Doesn’t seem like I’m the cause of the commotion. They are not running straight away from me nor at me to attack), I note.

Elly adds her observations, (Some of the people have the fear status, others panic and there are some wounds inflicted by monsters on some of the guard looking guys. The palisades are damaged by monsters as well.)

(How did you figure all of that out so quickly?)

([Appraise]), she states bluntly.

I sigh, (I’ll need to get used to these cheats. Continue like this and I’ll believe that everything is on easy mode in this world, well, maybe except the monsters. So? What exactly does that tell us?)

She responds, (Dunno. Let me think about it some more.)

All that build-up and no payoff, thanks.

As I walk through the village entrance I look around. I don’t see any corpses but a faint smell of blood is in the air, smells kinda delicious – please tell me I won’t lose control over myself when that stench gets stronger. No not stench, it smells rather sweet, not like the blood smell I was used to.

Elly has arrived at a conclusion, (Gzeph mentioned regular occurrences of monster floods, maybe there were signs of one starting soon?)

(Of course, it will, what other timing could I have), I frown.

Suddenly a hand grabs me from behind and tries to drag me along, “Please, we need your help!”

“Hey, hold up, what’s going on?!”

After a few steps, the hand lets go and I can have a look at who tried to vampnap me. Before me stands a half-panicked boy armed with a bow and an anxious-looking girl with a spear. Apart from a mane and tail, the boy looks human.

Name Ted
Status panic
Age 16
Classes Ranger 12
Race Lionman 11
Extra none
HP 685/1993
MP 480/480
SP 827/1907
STR 285+62 (Bow) or +42 (Claws)
DEX 317+25
VIT 254+30
MAG 127
FTH 96
WIL 95
CHA 159
Equipment Shortbow, Tunic
Skills Bow Training 12, Natural Weapon 11, Tracking 11
Weakness Water

I have to wonder, (The boy has no arrows to his bow? Do they just come out of thin air when needed?)

Elly explains, (No, arrows are used just as in your old world.)

(Strange.)

The girl has nothing special about her, as plain as a human girl from a backwater village can look.

Name Eila
Status panic
Age 14
Classes Hunter 10
Race Highlander 10
Extra none
HP 841/1410
MP 780/780
SP 1185/1845
STR 300+90
DEX 300
VIT 210+30
MAG 120
FTH 150
WIL 180
CHA 180
Equipment Spear, Tunic
Skills Hard Worker 10, Spear Training 10, Stamina Boost 10, Tracking 10
Weakness Poison

(No last names? Or are those more private than anything else?)

(No idea, maybe orphans?), Elly suggests.

After a moment the girl steps forward, “Please, my brother Tevin is wounded and trapped in a cave. We have got to get him out of there. You’re a Silver Elf, right? That means you can heal him. Please, we can’t leave him behind.”

Ok, so what silver elves can do seems to be common enough knowledge but are they really that easy to identify? Well, Eva only said they had silver hair, sooo...

(I have a bad feeling about this whole thing.)

Elly adds, ([Appraise] said they are both panicking. So I guess this is not a trap. Do you help them or not?)

(And here I don't even know how strong my healing magic would be.)

957/1143 MP says I have one maybe two uses of cure depending on when we arrive. I get like 1 MP per minute back.

Ah fuck it, “Sorry, I only have 1, maybe 2 casts of Cure left... but I'll see what I can do. Lead the way and explain the rest while we get there.”

This better not become a habit.

While they lead me further into the forest towards the cave they quickly introduce themselves.

“You don’t have family names, don’t you have parents?”, I ask them. Well, that is none of my business but I'm curious.

Eila reacts to that question, “What are ‘parents’?”

Ted responds, “I think he means that ‘family’ thing nobles have.”

(Oh my me, what is going on with this world...)

Elly tells me to put that thought on hold, (We can research that later.)

“Never mind then.”

They continue to explain the general situation, “So as you should know, it's monster season soon.”

I ask my not-so-imaginary mind-friend, (I guess they mean the annual monster flood?)

Elly agrees, (I assume so.)

“Yes, so?”

Eila continues, “Some of the older hunters found signs that it will start a few weeks earlier this year. And it'll be worse than any of the recent ones.”

Ted interrupts, “The adults prepared the evacuation of the village. Her older brother took us with him to secure some last-minute provisions. Get some more herbs for medicine. Stuff like that. Then... we got ambushed by some weird wolves. They were not like the usual ones. Tevin got bitten... a lot... We were in no condition to transport him while fending off more monsters. So we had to leave him behind in a cave. Hope he won't be found by more of these strange creatures.”

“I see.”

(Exactly as you guessed, Elly.)

I look around but find no monsters.

“What exactly is the plan then?”

Ted answers, “Eila will bring you to Tevin, I secure the entrance, you heal him.”

“I’ll see what I can do but no promises.”

“That’s... all I ask”, Eila clearly doesn’t like the prospect of losing her brother.

Wait a minute...

(How do they call him ‘brother’ but have no idea about parents or family?)

(Later. Focus on the task at hand, Jared), urges Elly.

(This totally doesn’t give me any strange ideas.)

I check my stats. HP, MP and SP seem unaffected by the physical activity.

(At least my SP doesn’t go down from all the running, not even a bit out of breath.)

Elly explains, (Well, yes, you’re [Undead], remember?)

(Hey, finally an upside to that.)

“Say, when all this is over, could I join the evacuation?”

“Why wouldn’t you?”, Ted is perplexed, “Why would we leave anyone behind in face of a monster horde?”

“Because I’m an outsider?”

Eila is confused as well, “So what?”

I'd have assumed for people to be more suspicious of foreigners if you have literal monsters that can pretend to be human... like me... Well, I’ll see what this is worth when we get there.

After a few more minutes we arrive at the cave, my MP has jumped up to 996/1143. So one cure shot now, and another in 3-4 minutes.

“I’ll guard the entrance, you two go ahead”, Ted points towards the back of the cave.

“Come, come quickly”, Eila urges.

It is quite dark in here but my eyes have no problem with it. Eila seems to have only a few more problems with vision than me, probably already knows the cave layout.

The smell of blood is in the air and gets stronger with every step.

Finally, I can see the wounded man.

Name Tevin
Status bleeding (0.3 HP/s)
Age 15
Classes Hunter 11
Race Highlander 10
Extra none
HP 189/1446
MP 798/798
SP 0/1889
STR 308+91
DEX 308
VIT 215+30
MAG 122
FTH 153
WIL 184
CHA 185
Equipment Spear, Tunic
Skills Hard Worker 10, Spear Training 11, Stamina Boost 10, Tracking 11
Weakness Poison

“Brother, we’ve brought help, we’ll get you through this!”

Tevin expresses confusion, “A Silver Elf? Where did you pick one of them up? I thought the demons wiped them all out centuries ago!”

“You can talk later”, I interrupt them, “let me get to work first.”

Both nod and Eila hurries back to the entrance, “I’ll help Ted keep watch. Shout when you’re done.”

(Hey, Elly, how exactly can I treat the bleeding?)

(Just like when using attack magic you just have to imagine it. Though instead of choosing a shape you focus on whether you want to heal HP or status. Simple, really.)

“Ok, I’ll start with the bleeding.”

I reach out my hand and...

ERROR: desired skill cannot be used at this time!

Fuck.

(What did I do wrong, Elly?)

She sounds clueless, (No idea, try again, maybe you got the image wrong?)

ERROR: desired skill cannot be used at this time!

(Shit. Of all the times for the system to bug out...)

“Sorry, I... don’t have the MP to cure this...”

“... don’t be. At least you tried.”, Tevin is clearly upset, and afraid but also somehow resigned to the inevitable.

scream

“What now?”

Tevin coughs, “That was Eila, go, I’m... already done for. Please at least... save my little sister.”

I nod and hurry back to the entrance.

Ted lies on the ground, a wolf biting him. [Appraise] can’t target him anymore. He’s... dead.

I don’t have a clear shot at the wolf with Eila in the way. The wolf turns its attention to Eila who’s already on the ground paralyzed by fear.

Name <none>
Age N/A
Classes Dire Wolf 1
Race Generic Monster 1
Extra Monster 1
HP 925/1764
MP 315/315
SP 712/1050
STR 399
DEX 231
VIT 21
MAG 147
FTH 126
WIL 21
CHA 63
Skills Deadly Fang 1
Weakness Ice

(Ice is good, I have that - what is that skill?) 

Deadly Fang
218 SP
Bite attack with 250% physical attack power.
Can inflict bleed with a rate of 20.

Before I realize how much danger this skill with its high STR means the Dire Wolf jumps on top of Eila and bites her.

crunch

screams

Name Eila
Status panic, bleeding (0.1 HP/s)
Age 14
Classes Hunter 10
Race Highlander 10
Extra none
HP 37/1410
MP 780/780
SP 1185/1845
STR 300+90
DEX 300
VIT 210+30
MAG 120
FTH 150
WIL 180
CHA 180
Equipment Spear, Tunic
Skills Hard Worker 10, Spear Training 10, Stamina Boost 10, Tracking 10
Weakness Poison

Shit. Shit. Shit.

I shoot an ice bullet at the wolf. Doesn’t matter anymore if I miss, Eila’s done either way.

You’ve inflicted 1036 damage to Dire Wolf and defeated it.

It... doesn’t matter... it's too late... all of them... are as good as dead...

While I just stand there, Eila turns to me, stretches her hand to me, shaking, tears in her eyes, “you... you can heal... this, right? We’ll... make it out... of this, right? Please.”

(It has failed with Tevin but maybe this time?)

(...), Elly stays silent.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and reach for her hand. This time it has to work. It has to.

ERROR: desired skill cannot be used at this time!

...

(Shit. What did I expect), tears roll from my eyes.

...

The smell of blood gets stronger. I’m kinda getting hungry and there's delicious food right in front of me. Urgh, why do those thoughts cross my mind now?

...

She’s still staring at me, “What’s wrong? Why don’t... you heal me? Can't you...?”

As she says that her eyes go wide as a realization hits her, “You... you tricked us! You’re a m-monster, you tricked us!!”

I want to say something, anything, just to calm her down. But then I feel that my fangs have come back. My concentration was broken.

I don’t really know why, but I try to get closer. I want to.

“Calm down, all will be... better soon, I promise.”

Eila screams full of fear, “NO! NO! Stay away! STAY AWAY FROM ME!”

I reach her and try to take her into my arms. Try to console her. At least that is what I tell myself.

She tries to shake me off. But despite her higher stats she can’t.

"LET ME GO, GO AWAY!", her panicked screaming continues.

The sensation of blood is too tempting. I give in to the hunger and sink my fangs into her neck.

And start drinking.

With [Appraise] I can see how her HP drops to 0.

I continue drinking as her struggles to shake me off relent.

Finally, she goes completely limp and the blood flow stops. I let go of my prey.

...

(I’ve done it now. I’ve killed someone I wanted to help.)

Elly tries to console me, (No you didn’t, she was about to die anyway.)

(Not a word. NOT. A. WORD.), I shout in my mind, angry at myself.

sigh

Sulking won’t get me anywhere. I chose this life, now I have to deal with the consequences.

(I really should’ve given the vampire thing more thought. The whole drinking blood thing is way harder than I could’ve imagined.)

Elly sounds apologetic for some reason, (That is not something that can be changed anymore.)

(...I know.)

sigh

(I should drink Ted’s blood as well, maybe have them ‘reunite’ within me, as little as that means with the whole artifact thing.)

Elly asks, (Was the taste that good?)

(Shut up! ...but yes. Imagine drinking only water all your life and then being offered champagne. Something like that. It's terrifying, really. Elly, at least try to prevent me from going feral again like that.)

She responds, (I'll... do what I can.)

I walk over to Ted’s dead body, bite him in the neck and try to drink some blood. Then recoil in disgust.

(Why does his blood taste like fucking sand!?)

Elly explains, (Vampires don’t subsist on the blood itself but the life force contained within it. When the soul leaves the body the exit reaction destroys all the remaining life force in the body.)

(So I just drink HP?)

She elaborates, (No, life force is separate from HP. You can theoretically separate blood from a still-living body and store it in something similar to the blood packs you were given. If the body is then killed it does not affect the life force contained in that blood storage. But as you’ve just tasted, the other way around does not work for you.)

(You could’ve warned me in advance. I specifically ordered you to do that!)

She tries to weasel her way out, (Yes but that would have robbed you of this valuable experience. And considering your goal of becoming stronger it felt right to not say anything.)

(Shit, ok, how much exp was that worth?)

For some reason she sounds cheerful, (A whole one. So you’re now sitting at a massive 21 exp total.)

(Fuck you.)

Well, Tevin is also a lost cause, might as well complete the triple. Maybe desensitize myself a bit to the intense taste of blood.

I walk back to Tevin and don’t bother with recreating my disguise.

He’s still in his corner, bleeding, leaning against the cave wall.

“Hey, Tevin, I’m here for a family reunion.”

He’s still bleeding like nobody’s business, “I’ve... heard enough screaming... to guess what is going on. You here to finish your work, fiend? I won’t... go down without a fight.”

He can’t even point his spear at me without it swaying around. I'm not sure he can even do anything to me with his 0 SP.

I take my weapon and swing it to knock his weapon out of his hand.

Clank

“You were saying?”

“...”, it seems he’s resigned to his fate.

When I bite into his neck he doesn’t even bother to resist.

His blood tastes different from Eila’s but still good and in contrast to Ted's sand blood, it is filling.

I can still see his status with [Appraise] while my fangs are in his neck even if he is sitting at 0 HP for a long time but the moment they release their victim the window closes. Maybe it was waiting for me to choose an [Embrace] option? I don't care about those; even if those bring the body back from the dead they'd not be themselves anyway.

Even if no one can hear it, “I promise you I won’t let your sacrifices go to waste.”

I don’t think I have much time before the evacuation starts. I quickly check Tevin for anything worth looting but only get 20 coins.

Wanton murder, theft, ignoring main quests, I'm just like an RPG protagonist.

(Elly, I don’t have fire magic, any other way I can dispose of the corpses?)

She answers, (You could try rank 0 magic. Those are usable even without the relevant skill but then they are much more expensive. Normally rank 0 magic is meant for household tasks.)

I’ll probably not need to cremate them but better safe than sorry. If vampires are real there's a good chance necromancy exists as well and I'd rather not have that happen to them.

I go to the entrance to fetch the other 2 bodies.

But something is missing, (Wait, where’s the wolf corpse?)

Elly tells me, (Monster bodies dissolve about a minute after death.)

(Convenient...)

I check Ted and Eila but only find 3 and 8 coins. I doubt these 31 coins amount to much.

Then I drag the 2 corpses to Tevin and create a couple of small sparks until they catch on fire.

The whole thing wastes 750 MP leaving me at 67/1143. I probably shouldn’t have done that.

(What a shitty start. Not even a day in a new world and I've already killed more people than monsters, fucking great.)

(...), Elly remains silent.

I recreate my disguise and hurry back, hoping not to run into any more encounters.

(Shit, what will I tell people when they ask where the three are? A wolf was too hungry? Monsters got them? Shit...)

She gives me a cover story, (I think you should just stick to the ‘truth’: when you arrived it was already too much for your, uh, (non-functional) [Cure Magic] to repair and a Dire Wolf ambushed the two while you checked on Tevin.)

(Probably.)

I arrive back at the village, Elly had to course-correct me only five times.

A few guards are waiting at the entrance for me, “where are the other three? Where are Ted, Tevin and Eila?”

“Sorry, it was already too late for Tevin. I didn’t have enough Cure Magic to stop the bleeding. And while I was trying to heal him a Dire Wolf ambushed the other two. When I got to them Ted was dead and Eila shortly after bleeding out.”

As if they would believe an outsider just like that.

I think I just saw a faint green shine from his pocket? Ah, I’m just imagining things, probably mentally exhausted from the MP drain.

The guard breaks out in tears, “...it... it's alright... you did more... than we could ask for.”

I’ve no idea what he is getting at.

(What is with these people?)

The man urges me, “Just... get in the carriage, we need to leave before we lose even more people.”

Yeah, questions can wait.

Going by the mechanics I've outlined it is impossible for Tevin to receive enough status damage from regular wolves to be at 0.3 HP/s bleeding; this would require 3000 HP worth of damage if it is a side effect of a regular attack. And given that he has only 1446 max HP that is not possible.
The responsible monster was supposed to be a glitched-out wolf that Tevin brought down but... well, all witnesses are dead now.
Scratch that, I can't do math. 3000 status damage would be 3 HP/s bleeding. 300 HP is well within range.

In an alternate universe where MC can use Cure Magic - the situation actually gets worse; Tevin has over 300 bleed status damage on him and MC can heal 2x 189 so he can barely heal him.
The attacking wolf still kills Ted; MC has no MP to heal Eila so she still dies from the bleeding as in the current story.
Tevin is already at 0 SP so he can't assist MC either; MC has to fight a wolf with just a staff - most likely he dies from that.
Tevin still bleeds out and now MC has no MP to fight off the wolf - game over for him.
And then the wolf deals with the defenseless Tevin. TPK.

For anyone wanting to write a LitRPG of their own, take this chapter as a warning, I had to do a lot of math and guesswork just to get a reasonable estimate for the lower bounds of exp – and so level - the people would have at their age. At least if you are like me and find non-combat exp reasonable.

To reiterate the foreword:

  • low difficulty chores and exercises are worth 1~2 exp per hour, I settled for 1.7 on average.
  • more effort and actually learning something can reach up to 10 exp per hour, average maybe around 8
  • before age 10 exp gain is reduced to 10% otherwise everyone would already start at level 14 in both class and race, this reduces it to a more humble 5 each

For someone working in a ‘routine’ job like a farmer I just estimated they’d get 12h chores worth of exp each day, rest taken up with sleep, sickness and other stuff not worth exp.
This gives them about level 10 at age 16, level 11 at 18, level 12 at 21, level 13 at 24, level 14 at 28 and level 15 at 32.

For someone in a ‘hunter’ profession, I estimated 5h of chores, 5h of training and 3-5 monster kills on an average day.
This gives them about level 10 at age 13, level 11 at 14, level 12 at early 5, level 13 at late 15, level 14 at 16, level 15 at 17, level 16 at 19, level 17 at 21, level 18 at 23, level 19 at 25, level 20 at 28, level 21 at 31 and level 22 at 35.

The new trio is a bit below that, I had a reason in their back story... and then they died on me. Whoops.
Uh, let’s just say usually you’d start your apprenticeship at 10 in this world and they got to it later than normal.

For someone in a ‘soldier’ profession, I estimated 2h of chores, 8h of intense training and 7-10 monster kills on an average day plus 1 dungeon floor every week if available.
This gives them about level 10 at age 11, level 12 at 12, level 14 at 13, level 15 at 14, level 16 at 15, level 17 at 16, level 18 at 17, level 19 at 19, level 20 at 20, level 21 at 22, level 22 at 24, level 23 at 27, level 24 at 29 and level 25 at 33.

All of that is assuming even distribution between a single class and a single race.
The level 25 at age 33 soldier would more likely have 3-4 classes and their race at level 19-20 each.

Unless stated otherwise, most people put no experience into their ‘title’ level; you have to gain titles first and a majority of them don’t scale with title level in the first place so it's usually not worth it.

The major limiting factor for the ‘soldier’ group should be their MP/SP reserves.
This world doesn’t have potions to extend how many monsters can be hunted down in a day, but there are classes like bard that can give the party some SP regeneration.
Also as will be introduced soon there are limited options to train a few class levels for essentially free.

55