Ch. 15 – Three little words
887 13 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erwin seems to be waiting for me in front of the slums. I guess this is where the staple newbie hazing happens? Only a law dodging adventurer guild to go on my isekai bingo card.

Name Erwin
Status disguised
Age 17
Classes Scout 3, Fighter 2
Race Dwarf 2
Extra Vampire 4
HP 1268/1550
MP 624/624
SP 45/1526
STR 220+62
DEX 265+20
VIT 216+65
MAG 94
FTH 92
WIL 99
CHA 143
Equipment Shortsword, Reinforced Leather, Sun Guard Ring
Skills Sword Training 2, Disguise 4, Danger Sense 3, Hard Worker 2, Health Boost 2, Poison Resistance 2, Sleepless 4, Undead 4, Vampire Hierarchy 4
Weakness Fire, Wind, Light, Holy

Worst case he can attack me once, it is unlikely that he poses a threat.

I get closer to him, can't beat the sh-... wait one vampire too many for that ref.

After a few more steps he finally starts moving towards me, "Hey newbie, come, I wanna show you something... fun." With a wicked grin, he grabs my arm and pulls me into the lawless area.

"Where are we going?", I ask him.

"I need to show my new brother-in-arms how to take care of himself. These humans clearly can't do that."

As we go we pass by several people. Most look lifeless. Just sitting somewhere or walking aimlessly, barely paying attention to their surroundings. Only a few even bother to look in our direction.

I try to quickly glance at what classes they might have but most of them seem valuable so why are they here? We have the likes of medics, nurses, archers, gunners - wait guns exist in this world? - and all kinds of production jobs. I can barely understand why the healers are here if the job openings are limited but what stops them from being employed outside of those posts? Just open a clinic or something.

Erwin interrupts my thought, "So I don't know what they've told you but the few blood vial handouts they give us won't get you far."

"What are you - ", he doesn't even notice that I interrupted him.

"And outside this area getting your hands on some fresh food will get you killed. But here? No one cares what happens to these people. Just make sure no one sees you." He is very pushy about this subject.

We walk a bit further and reach a dead end. There are two apathetic, destitute-looking men sitting on the ground, covered in rags that could fall apart any moment now.

Name Kevin
Status malnourished (20%, 1 MP/s, 1 SP/s)
Age 15
Classes Farmer 14
Race Tainted (human) 13
Extra none
HP 809/1004 [1255]
MP 0/660 [825]
SP 0/1886 [2358]
STR 216 [271]
DEX 188 [236]
VIT 189 [237]
MAG 79 [99]
FTH 107 [134]
WIL 108 [135]
CHA 161 [202]
Equipment none
Skills Curse Touch 13, Low Profile 13, Physical Resistance 13
Weakness all elements

The other man, Kenny, isn't any better off.

The status reflects the hopelessness in their eyes. Even if they could manage to fully recover they'd be out of SP within half an hour.

"No better time than now", Erwin demands, "Get over there and drink. Don't worry, your new instincts will do the rest", he gives me a push on the back.

Now I'm between a rock and a hard place. Refuse and I'll get into trouble with that vampire and probably his friend, too. Go along and... wait, I don't have to kill the man, I can just pretend - at least if the skill [Greater Vampiric Bite] works as described. Time to find out...

I walk over to one of the two men, Erwin to the other and we both bite our victim. I drink a bit, just enough to make the man unconscious then release my grip.

You can now- 
Contact lost: resorting to default option.

Uh, did it want to say something important? I hope not, the message was gone when my fangs left their victim. Your timing really isn't the best, system!

...

I [appraise] my victim, great, still alive as intended.

Name Kevin
Status malnourished (20%, 1 MP/s, 1 SP/s)
Age 15
Classes Farmer 14
Race Tainted (human) 13
Extra none
HP 242/1004 [1255]
MP 0/660 [825]
SP 0/1886 [2358]
STR 216 [271]
DEX 188 [236]
VIT 189 [237]
MAG 79 [99]
FTH 107 [134]
WIL 108 [135]
CHA 161 [202]
Equipment none
Skills Curse Touch 13, Low Profile 13, Physical Resistance 13
Weakness all elements

Whatever this choice was it doesn't seem to apply to that man. Note to self: next time stop drinking but keep the fangs in and read the goddamn thing!

Erwin's victim however yields no response when I try to [appraise] him, he's dead as a doornail.

I wipe a smidge of blood from my lips. Then Erwin turns to me, "So, how was it? Great, am I right?"

"I've had better", the blood was a bit stale. Seems like the taste relates to how 'healthy' the target is.

"Oh, we have a picky eater here. Sorry to burst your bubble but until we've succeeded in our little scheme this is as good as it gets. Oh, right. That's why I actually wanted to talk to you."

Why do I feel like we're getting into elven-dwarf hostility territory...

He gathers his thoughts for a moment, "Me, my pal Niles and our boss have this little plan going on. We're sick of those inferior creatures commandeering us around, limiting who we can feed on. So we want to take over this whole place. And this little 'Lord's Mansion' over there is our ticket. Just need to find a fitting noble and turn them, can't be that hard."

He's clearly not the brains of their operations. Talking so open about their plan without checking whether I'm even leaning that way...

Also, they clearly don't know what the mansion wants, at least I can take solace in the fact that they'll fail - if there was just a suitable noble running around I bet they would've already taken over this place.

For once in this world, I know more about something than my conversation partner, this better be a trend break.

At least I know now that there's a third vampire running around and seeing how he calls him boss probably a noble. Just knowing that there is in fact one around is bad news. Need to get rid of Erwin ASAP and then... no idea who to involve. Certainly not Therese, she'd happily take this excuse to end me.

Erwin walks closer to me and continues in a threatening tone, "You in or not?"

"Let me think about it for a moment...", what I should do here is all too clear, "yeah, I have a satisfying answer for you."

"Oh? Let's hear it", he grins. So do I.

I've finally finished preparing my spell, "Sneak attack, BITCH!"

Always wanted to say that.

130 MP disappear and turn into a huge rock shooting from my hand towards where his heart should be.

Critical hit! You've inflicted 1967 damage to Erwin and defeated him.

"W-wha - ", and now there's just a big gaping hole in his chest and a pained look of surprise on his face. And I didn't even need to hope that I proc a status effect to buy time for a second shot. Seems like either critical hits are overpowered or [Vampire Hierarchie] works, probably both.

Before the vampire can drop to the floor he turns to dust and only leaves his dog tag behind. Damn, I wanted his ring instead... well, can't change that now. Bad news for all robbers - you need to keep your victim alive or they take their possessions with them to the grave.

After gathering my thoughts, I make my way back to the gate. While I walk out of the slums, none of the people there seem to notice me even if at least some paid minimal attention earlier. Seems like my [Stealth] does its job as long as no one is looking explicitly for me or draws attention to me as Erwin did earlier. But then what is the difference to [Low Profile] that Eva wanted to get me in the beginning? Sounds like they do the exact same and that seems just wrong.

Well, now that I'm already this far in I guess I can as well use this place and my stealth to get some extra blood from time to time. The blood packs won't last me forever. But maybe I should at least keep the other vampire around? As minimally plausible deniability. Not sure what that is worth though, as I learned earlier that most people don't seem to care what happens to these people...

I hate that I didn't even consider these slum dwellers as 'people' just now...

I arrive at the gate and climb the tower again.

For efficiency's sake I should just cast another rain spell, maybe try another elemental flavor. But now I'm curious. Elly's description said that the large rain aoe only has 5% of the base damage and I guess this affects the status chance. So what if the base chance of added status is around 20%? 5% of that may be 1% or rounded down to none.

I won't level up today anyway even if I cast another ice rain, so I try the ice aoe cannon with the status effect added.

Your 'Ice Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 2934 damage and 4 status effects.

Some status effect landed? Neat, now what does that look like...

Name <none>
Status cold (0.2 HP/s)
Age N/A
Classes Ragelope 3
Race Generic Monster 3
Extra Monster 3
HP 2569/3105
MP 345/345
SP 1357/1357
STR 483
DEX 276
VIT 115
MAG 138
FTH 115
WIL 115
CHA 92
Skills Ram Attack 3
Weakness Ice

So those affected will eventually die? Though that may take a few hours. Well, maybe not the hyper-regenerative slimes but still totally worth the 175 MP spell if I want to thin out the flood. I need to check how much exp this will be once the effects have ended. Currently gaining levels has priority, extending the flood may even be to my benefit...

Now I'm curious what the other elements have for status effects. Maybe not dark. This could raise some uncomfortable questions. Next up earth and on a different group so as to not waste the inflicted dots.

Your 'Earth Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 3566 damage and 3 status effects.

Good, landed some effects with this spell as well. So what status does the earth spell inflict?

Name <none>
Status fractured (11)
Age N/A
Classes Crawler 2
Race Generic Monster 2
Extra Monster 2
HP 992/1584
MP 396/396
SP 880/880
STR 209 [220]
DEX 187 [198]
VIT 121 [132]
MAG 187 [198]
FTH 165 [176]
WIL 33 [44]
CHA 55 [66]
Skills none
Weakness Earth

Maybe good to nerf a boss or something but not for exp farming. And finally lightning.

Your 'Thunder Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 2721 damage and 7 status effects.

A lot this time, yay randomness?

Name <none>
Status stunned (4,7s remaining)
Age N/A
Classes Dire Wolf 1
Race Generic Monster 1
Extra Monster 1
HP 1467/1764
MP 315/315
SP 1050/1050
STR 399
DEX 231
VIT 21
MAG 147
FTH 126
WIL 21
CHA 63
Skills Deadly Fang 1
Weakness Ice

Also not an option for grinding. Too bad. So three more ice spells it is.

shatter

Your 'Ice Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 3056 damage and 5 status effects.

shatter

Your 'Ice Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 2633 damage and 2 status effects.

shatter

Your 'Ice Blast' spell has inflicted a total of 2934 damage and 3 status effects.

I don't feel like doing another 5 hours of training, need a break from this day. The weapon shop was closed yesterday but according to the shop-hours plate is open today and closed again tomorrow. Maybe a look can't hurt. Not that I expect them to have anything worthwhile.

I make my way back to the marketplace and as advertised the weapon shop is open today.

I'm greeted by a girl of my size with a petite figure despite wielding a big hammer, brown eyes and long black hair, "Ah, sorry, the master is not in. Maybe I can help you?" Seems like she works as an apprentice here.

"You're cute. Wanna go out?", wait what am I saying? "Umm, sorry. That was a bit.. forward, not sure what came over me."

No idea what is wrong with me. Going by what I recall from my last life she would be my type, yes, but I'm undead now. I shouldn't be ABLE to feel this kind of attraction. Well, I can at least take solace in this being a different feeling from hunger.

The girl crosses her arms, "Urgh, no, I'm used to it. Now if the little vampire is done thinking with his wrong head what can I get you?"

"How'd you know what I am?"

She is clearly frustrated, "...experience. Seriously, the only guys that hit on me are you vampires, for some reason. It is kinda creepy."

"Can't understand why. You ARE cute."

"Drop it. Also, you got the wrong eye color. Silver elves either have grey or pale brown eyes, not blue", she says in a teasing manner.

"Whoops..."

I sort my thoughts, "So I'm mostly just looking around. As a caster, I'd like something better than this tree branch to increase my MAG but I was told that I'm out of luck in this fortress."

She answers, "Yeah, that's true. Sorry, can't help you there. I'm just an apprentice so I couldn't craft you something of that level even if I had the materials. And even my master couldn't help you because of license restrictions."

"So basically the same as over at the armor shop."

She shrugs, "Yeah, pretty much. The most I could help you with are regular weapons."

"Well, I'm supposed to get the Survivor class next, so I guess I could have a look at some spears. What do you have in that direction?"

"Let's see...", she searches through some boxes, "no, sorry, the best we have left are just the same the military should also provide you - did they run out of stock?"

"Not to my knowledge. But I didn't say anything about being with the military."

She points at me, "Uh, your robe? It has all the insignia on it. And I honestly doubt you would wear it so openly if it was stolen."

"Oh, right that one", what's wrong with me? I'm usually not that forgetful.

"Anything else you want to have a look at?", she asks me.

"Sure, how about your smile?"

She sighs, "Ok that was lame but as far as vampire flirting goes you're at least in the top 3, far above Erwin's 'be mine and you'll be in the front row when I paint the town red with blood' spiel."

"Oh, Erwin? Well, if you miss him that much I have to disappoint you", I show her Erwin's dog tag, "he's... indisposed."

The girl is ecstatic, "Oh my god, can I have that as a souvenir?"

"Sorry, still need that as proof that we have one problem less."

"Awww", she pouts, "ok, jokes aside, how did that happen?"

"Well, I was returning from the dungeon and met him near the slums, he kind of invited me for a 'drink'..."

She sounds concerned, "And did you accept?"

"...yes."

"...", she's speechless.

"Ah, don't worry, the person is still... alive, for what it is worth."

The girl is confused, "Huh?"

"I mean it."

"Keep your lies to yourself! Out! Now!", she shoves me out of the door and slams it shut. I hear some crying behind the door, "at least all of this will be over soon."

Smells like a plot hook. Well, she's unlikely to tell me what she meant in her current state so this has to wait for another time. Did I really forget to ask her name or at least get it via [appraise]? I'm clearly not at the top of my game today...

It is a bit too early to go 'home' but too late to do much in the way of training, don't want to today anyway. What to do... maybe a quick chat with 'Manni'.

I make my way back to the Lord's Mansion.

"Hey, you awake?", I ask the house.

It rumbles, "Kinda am, kinda not. How's it going?"

"So-so. Went to a dungeon for the first time, rained destruction on the flood monsters, dusted a vampire. Average day, really."

It asks me, "Oh, you vampires don't get along with each other? Pardon me. I know very little about your kind. In all my thousands of years, I've seen very little of you."

"Really? I got the impression that vampires were already a problem for a long time."

The house seemingly has to think for a moment, "Hmmm... not as far as I am concerned. Last time I was awake you vampires didn't exist yet on this world."

"That's... interesting. Do you know where they came from?"

It recalls, "I do not really 'know'. I've just heard rumors nearly 2000 years ago. Supposedly a 'Lost One' was the first vampire. At first, they were the greatest champion of the people. They refused to drink blood and the people didn't know about their diet yet. It seems like they kept their condition a secret from their closest friends and party members. After achieving some great victories against the monster hordes they were granted nobility. They... insisted their followers gain the same honor, that wish was granted. Over time they started turning their party members into vampires to strengthen them but the nobility instantly promoted them into 'Vampire Nobles' and the stronger ones directly to 'Vampire Lords'. And then... the 'Lost One' lost control of their kin and was killed by their blood-crazed former friends and loved ones. It is said the 'Lost One' didn't resist the assault but it didn't matter, of their friends was nothing left, only monsters wearing their skin. Ever since then the world has been plagued by the bloodsuckers."

Sounds like someone screwed up big time. Need to make sure we don't get a rerun.

"That's an interesting story. Did it really happen like this?"

The house sounds uncertain, "No idea. This was just the story I heard."

"At a minimum, it is a cautionary tale."

Wait why do I get the feeling I've already screwed that up?

After a bit more small talk I call it a day and head to my room.

I was 50:50 between Kenny and Timmy. Kenny 'won' the coin flip.

Do I really need to spell out what the interrupted system prompt was? If so you may want to embrace a reread of Ch.6 skill descriptions.

29