Ch. 27 – Minmaxing
800 9 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nuking the flood on the day after the meeting with Chloe and Therese proceeds as normal for the most part. Though this time again something feels off like there was just a moment ago some movement in the water - and exactly like last time, neither Elly nor [appraise] find something. I give up.

I did my 6 hours of training, MP is empty from a bit of rain and most of what I see on the fortress map doesn't interest me at the moment. Guess it is time to study again. Pulling an all-nighter like an university student before an important exam. Except that I don't have to deal with the tiredness and fatigue from that.

Before I can begin reading Elly chimes in, (so I guess I have good-ish news and bad news. The good news is that I've finished restoring Gzeph's files on titles and the class build he wanted you to go for.)

(And the bad news is that they are empty?)

(Not quite but close enough. I'd like to go with you over the build file since... there's not much to go over. Out of the maximum of ten classes, I could only restore six, two of which are half guesses. And as for titles... I got only three. Everything else on that is lost to the ages.)

(Good enough. Tell me what you have. I'll probably ignore it anyway.)

(Right, so the first one is Wizard which should've been clear already since you both agreed on that during the initial setup.)

(Yeah, but it's good to know we're at most 90% wrong in what we do.)

(Second seems to be Cleric, wait let me get you the stats.)

Cleric
Growth Rates
40 HP, 38 MP, 27 SP, 6 STR, 4 DEX, 6 VIT, 5 MAG, 8 FTH, 6 WIL, 5 CHA
 
Cure Magic Rank 1
Able to use curative spells at rank 1.
Basic cure magic costs 500 MP per use, single-target only.
The healing effect can freely be split between HP and status damage.
A̵̛̲b̸̻́ŝ̵̖ǫ̷͝l̷͚̋u̸̥͐t̸̫͘ḙ̷͆l̷̩̈y̷̛ͅ ̶͈̚u̶̡͌s̴͈̍e̵̻͋ḻ̴̓e̸̜͗s̸̥̚s̵̨̈́ ̶̝̕f̷̞̓o̶͉̿r̴̮͠ undead.
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

(What? Did he want to achieve some kind of red mage? Not that I would mind, it is one of my favorite class archetypes in RPGs. And with the 20% penalties, I wouldn't be able to operate as a single-minded specialist anyways.)

(True that. The biggest benefit I see from this class is already covered by your race - if it wasn't for the restriction through [Undead]. So I guess we can skip that.)

(I agree with that. The class might have something critical in the two unknown skills though I don't know what that would be. Clerics in games tend to have some form of blunt weapon skills and maybe buffs or a super-effective anti-undead move. For the latter fire magic should work well enough as a substitute, assuming that the real anti-undead power wouldn't rip me to shreds while casting it in the first place. Blunt weapon... I guess my spear skill or eventually my claws should suffice.)

(Speaking of - why didn't you try them last time in the dungeon? You weren't using SP for anything else.)

(I simply didn't think of it. Not that it would've changed much. The damage over time status was enough for even the boss and the fire slimes would've turned me into ash before I get even close enough.)

(And what about the wolf that never learned about personal space?)

(I was panicking. I was too certain I'd be safe behind the zone wall. I simply I didn't think of it at the time.)

(Ok, then next class. I've no idea why that is in there but here goes.)

Battle Mage
Growth Rates
39 HP, 45 MP, 32 SP, 6 STR, 5 DEX, 6 VIT, 6 MAG, 5 FTH, 6 WIL, 3 CHA
 
(Choice) Magic Rank 1
Gain one Rank 1 Magic skill of a chosen element from:
fire, ice, lightning, wind, water, earth, poison, light, dark
Also, gain the elemental affinity for the chosen type.
 
Weapon Magic <Skill locked until Level 5>
Active
Able to infuse a weapon temporarily with a damage spell.
The used spell is applied at a third of its original strength on the next 5 weapon attacks.
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

(Uh, why does it display the level 5 skill? None of the other classes did so far.)

(I had a good hard look when we encountered the elite slimes on floor 12.)

(And why didn't you do the same for Survivor with Chloe?)

(I did.)

(...so then why not tell me what I'll gain later?)

(They are nothing to write home about but here you go.)

Trap Lore <Skill locked until Level 5>
Passive
Enhances ability to find and disarm traps.
 
Create Food and Water <Skill locked until Level 15>
Once per day
Create one meal's worth of bread and water.

(Trap Lore is certainly something I want ASAP. The other... kind of a letdown for what is effectively a mark of mastery.)

(Hey, not having to worry about starving when lost in the wilderness is certainly useful!)

(If you can eat the stuff. I can't.)

(Ok, so back to Battle Mage, hmm... not sure about that one. Too melee heavy for my taste. Sure, if it works as written there I could deal about three times as much damage for the same MP cost by applying a spell to my weapon instead of throwing it directly but that is single-target only. I don't have a 'sword rain' option and I sure as heck am not standing in the middle of the monster flood for a roundhouse slash.)

(I get the feeling Gzeph's build plan relies on knowledge we don't have or even runs contrary to the current situation.)

(I mean it sounds like it would give me a tiny bit more survivability but stat-wise it doesn't look like too much of a difference to what I already have. When even the weakest monster I've seen would deal 150 damage to me after applied defenses a difference of not even 10 HP is meaningless, not to mention the stronger ones that would exceed 1000 damage or like estimated 2000 damage for the fire casting slimes.)

(Yeah, so next is the last of the regular classes I could identify from his plan.)

Scholar
Growth Rates
29 HP, 27 MP, 43 SP, 4 STR, 5 DEX, 6 VIT, 6 MAG, 5 FTH, 6 WIL, 8 CHA
 
Quick Learning
Passive
20% bonus to combat exp gain.
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

(20% more exp should be big if I survive long enough. It would eventually just pay for itself. Like if I had this and five other classes I'd effectively level Scholar for free. Doesn't even matter if the two unknown skills are crap. That and decent stats, I'm sold. Add it to the list. Though how does the +20% interact with my 50% penalty? Additive or multiplicative?)

(I think it is additive, so times 1.4 your current exp gain.)

(Even better. I definitely want that class then.)

(Just remember that you can have 10 classes at most and still need the 'Class Cores' for them.)

(Eh, I think it is more important to get out of the early game hell and through the mid-game crisis than worry about an optimal endgame setup. By then I will most likely have so many different active skills that I can't use just because of action economy and the passive skills I've seen so far would probably be less worth than just the stats from one or two extra levels in ten classes.)

(Ok, then on to the two elite classes I could decipher.)

(What's the difference to regular classes?)

(Just that they require you to have a similar enough regular class already. Like you can't become an archpriest without being already a priest or comparable class. Also by default you can only have three elite classes total.)

(Gotcha. Are they simply stronger than their regular counterparts or why else are they locked off that way?)

(You should think of them more like specializations. They build upon skills a suitable base class provides. Imagine a made-up class like a spell master, it doesn't come with any elemental magic skill of its own but instead makes it easier to chain cast spells or lets you exclude allies from aoe attacks or something. So the class by itself is near useless unless you already have a class with a magic skill.)

(I guess that makes sense.)

Aerial Mage
Elite class
Growth Rates
23 HP, 42 MP, 49 SP, 3 STR, 4 DEX, 3 VIT, 8 MAG, 7 FTH, 6 WIL, 6 CHA
 
Magical Wings
Concentration
User can generate magical wings if they have none.
The style of wings can be freely chosen.
Flight consumes (20 - skill level/10) MP and SP per second.
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

(Flight would be nice to have but a mere thirty seconds won't get me anyway right now and then I don't have enough MP left to do something worthwhile.)

(I think the same.)

(Do I need another regular class first or does Wizard suffice?)

(That should be enough.)

(Hmm... ok, but I'll wait on that one. The stats seem below average and currently flight wouldn't do too much for me because it is way too expensive.)

(And for the other elite class I got the file listed them as 'Fortress or Moon Knight'. Seems like they both perform the same niche Gzeph wanted to fill.)

(Ok, show them to me.)

Fortress
Elite class
Growth Rates
58 HP, 12 MP, 37 SP, 5 STR, 2 DEX, 9 VIT, 2 MAG, 1 FTH, 8 WIL, 4 CHA
 
Armor Training
Passive
Can equip medium and heavy armor.
Increase effective VIT by (skill level) while equipped with medium or heavy armor.
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

 

Moon Knight
Elite class
Growth Rates
50 HP, 33 MP, 25 SP, 5 STR, 5 DEX, 8 VIT, 5 MAG, 6 FTH, 5 WIL, 4 CHA
 
Luna Barrier
500 MP
Create a barrier around either self or target ally.
The barrier can absorb up to (FTH + 5 x skill level) HP damage.
Barriers do not stack and last at most 5 minutes.
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

(I guess this is what the melee mage class was for then, a prerequisite for this duo.)

(That might be the case.)

(Not sold on them. Don't get me wrong they give almost double the HP and VIT as my current classes but that is basically already everything they do for me stat-wise. And deciding based on one mediocre first skill doesn't seem like a good idea. Fortress' armor training doesn't seem worth also taking battle mage if I could just get it directly from a regular knight class. And blindly guessing that the class is worth it for the two hidden skills seems wasteful.)

(The barrier one doesn't seem that bad to me. Costs the same as cure magic and undoes about just as much damage.)

(Maybe but that would cost almost half my MP pool currently, let's say a third if I had the levels to take it. And how much damage would that really prevent? Not even half of one of the bigger attacks we've seen, more like a quarter. If I take it it would make more sense as like the seventh class so I can build up enough MP and FTH to make it usable.)

(So do you want to just go full in on a glass cannon build then?)

(Not really. But short term there's just too much bullshit that can one-shot me and there's no guarantee I can get another core. This one is the last they had, the truth gem verified as much. So the best I can do would be taking something like the Battle Mage which is just 9 extra HP compared to my main class. That is too little if I have to face attacks dealing upwards of 2000 damage, at least that's what I imagine the fire-spitting slimes would have dealt to me. That class doesn't even make a dent into that problem. The better option would be to get something that massively increases how much damage I can deal to the flood monsters. That would let me level quicker and get me the difference in HP just through raw extra levels. Remember, I just have ONE core. Planning for two, three or even four is a luxury I can't count on. So that one class I choose has to count, Elly.)

(I understand, that sounds like a reasonable point of view.)

(Which brings me back to what I said in the dungeon: I want some kind of summoning skill or something that lets me create disposable minions. Depending on how exactly they work it might be just what I need to get significantly more exp per day while still providing a safety net for the dungeon.)

(Gotcha, wait a second, let me quickly check the classes tab... ok, those would be your base class options according to the search filter.)

Caller
Growth Rates
24 HP, 32 MP, 19 SP, 4 STR, 5 DEX, 5 VIT, 7 MAG, 7 FTH, 8 WIL, 9 CHA
 
Summon Spirit Rank 1
500 MP upkeep per class of summoned creature
Create a spirit ally.
The spirit can have any race and up to 3 base classes the user knows.
Each of its classes and races has a level of (1% CHA + 2x skill rank).
Compared to a normal creature HP, MP and SP are reduced by 30%.
Spirits can generate special equipment if needed, these items grant no stats.
Once a spirit is summoned its race and classes can no longer be changed, only further classes added, limits permitting.
Spirits can't die, instead when they reach 0 HP they have to rest in their owner for a week, during this time the upkeep can't be canceled.
The owner can create a total of (2 + skill level /10) different spirits.
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

 

Invoker
Growth Rates
25 HP, 33 MP, 22 SP, 4 STR, 5 DEX, 4 VIT, 8 MAG, 7 FTH, 7 WIL, 9 CHA
 
Summon Spirit Rank 1
<same as above>
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

 

Summoner
Growth Rates
23 HP, 40 MP, 17 SP, 4 STR, 4 DEX, 5 VIT, 7 MAG, 8 FTH, 8 WIL, 8 CHA
 
Summon Spirit Rank 1
<same as above>
 
<Skill locked until Level 5>
 
<Skill locked until Level 15>

(Ok, so they start with the same skill and stat wise they are close enough as well. No idea what any of them has as a second or third skill so just blind guessing, great. The summon spirit thing looks complicated, a bigger rule book than even undead but most likely useful. I'd take whichever class I can use first. One point off in either direction doesn't change much when I need hundreds. Add that to the to-do list as well.)

(Affirmative.)

(So with that out of the way nothing in Jeff's class list suggests to me that it would strengthen status effects. As strong as they were so far I'd like to look for a class that goes even more in that direction. Especially if it would enable me to land some status via mass aoe spells.)

(You did quite a 180 in your opinion on status effects since the beginning, Jared.)

(Just think about it. Imagine rain spells that have enough status effect power behind them to inflict damage over time effects. Instead of just tickling hundreds of targets for single-digit damage per drop they'd be sent to their grave or at least have to retreat and seek treatment if their intelligence allows.)

(I think I know the right skill for that, give me a second I'll check the class overview for a class that grants it... hmm, no, doesn't seem like we know of any class yet that gets the skill.)

(What exactly do you mean by 'know' in this context?)

(The class search tab lists all classes you could potentially ever take. Things like monsters or race-locked classes do not appear in there. For each of those classes you can by default see the stat growth rates and the first skill.)

(Yeah, I saw that. And the level 5 and 15 skills are just listed as 'unlocked at level x'.)

(Yes, but you can fill in those skills just by appraising someone that has the skill at a high enough level.)

(Ah, so that's a common feature and not just another of your cheats?)

(Correct. So the skill we're looking for is this:)

Ailment Boost
Passive
Increase the status infliction rate of your skills and spells by (2 + skill level/15).
Lowers the effective rate threshold where status infliction automatically fails from 10% to 5%.

(Huh, that would explain why the status rain failed. I think it was 40 base rate times 5% for rain shape so that is 2 maybe slightly more if my stats come into play. That is way below the 10% threshold so it auto fails.)

(Indeed, I interpret it the same way.)

(So with the passive I'd be at 4% at least, some more levels and I'd get past the then 5% hurdle. Once I do get past it the exp would flow in a lot faster while I can just nuke such a flood with it.)

(I think the chance is affected by MAG or for mind effects CHA.)

(Then I think a class with [Ailment Boost] would be my top priority once we've found one.)

(I'll keep on the lookout.)

(Do that.)

If I have access to ailments or debuffs how is strengthening magic looking?

(How's the flip side of that coin? Would we know something about buffs?)

(Umm... that's a very open-ended question. From what I can see probably around a third of all skills would fall into that category one way or another.)

(Then please give me three examples for buffs that you find on classes I could take right away. Out of the available ones show me the stronger ones.)

(Sure, one moment.)

Benediction
400 MP upkeep
Increase 2 base stats of choice by (3% FTH + skill level) points.
Affects up to (2 + skill level / 7) allies, can include the user.

(So, uh, +7? That's the best we can do?)

(It would take some time but it would eventually get really strong. By like level 15 you would increase two stats by about 30 for 4 targets so 240 points total.)

(Hmm... that is nothing for now. What else is there?)

Defense Order
Concentration
User and allies within hearing range receive (1 + skill level / 20)% x CHA to VIT and WIL.

(Concentration is problematic, I need that for my [Disguise]. But it might be a decent increase when I get it above level 20 and have a group I trust enough that I don't need the disguise. Are there any buffs that are good upfront?)

(None that you could make much use of but there's something like this here.)

Blessed Weapon
Concentration
Repeat 20% of inflicted melee damage again as light elemental damage.

(A little bit hard to understand but I think I get the effect. No counterparts for magic to this?)

(There are some skills that affect or modify spells to an extent but not as a first skill so I can't find a fitting class.)

(Got an example for my curiosity?)

(Sure.)

Overload Spell
Concentration
When casting a damage spell sacrifice HP equal to the MP cost to increase the spell's power by 50%.

(Honestly, if I'm in one-shot range anyway this would let me get at least some use out of HP. But long term? I'd rather not.)

(Understandable. Anything else you want to check while we are at it?)

(No, I think I'm good for now. At least I can't think of anything we haven't yet failed to find.)

I have to let this information sink in, (so I think we have to keep looking for a class with [Ailment Boost]. That would probably do the most for me if I can get over the 5% threshold on status rain spells with higher MAG.)

(Sure.)

(Eventually, I want Aerial Mage as well but that must wait until I have a bigger MP and SP pool. Before that, it would just be a near dead skill slot. That leaves scholar and a summoning class...)

(I'd honestly say you should go for summons first. Scholar might give you an effective 40% exp gain increase but the majority of exp you gained in the dungeon is currently not yet from killing monsters but still from learning or reading. And disposable minions as scouts would probably allow you to get further - or at least spare me some heart attacks.)

(Makes sense to me. Elly, do we have any idea how steep the stat requirements of the summoning classes are? Just in case we find a class with [Ailment Boost] before meeting them.)

(There was actually a formula for that in Gzeph's notes. If it is correct the overall stat requirements increase with the number of classes you have so if you collect too many low CHA classes before it might not be possible anymore to take a summoning class in a reasonable amount of time.)

(Good, I'll keep that in mind. Can you show me the formula?)

(Sure, just one moment.)

The base requirements for each stat are:
(target class's stat) x 10 x (2 + number of already unlocked classes) x (90% + 10% x number of already unlocked classes)
30% less with a trainer

(So, tl;dr if your first class has a near-zero value in a stat you'll never branch out of that archetype?)

(More or less. A warrior will probably never get any magic classes but a high-level wizard may take a warrior class. The world isn't fair.)

(At least it is unfair to my advantage for once.)

(Wait, it just says trainer, not matching trainer?)

(Uh, I guess that was just sloppy writing on Gzeph's part.)

(Ok, so any idea what the biggest bottleneck for taking any of the summoning classes is?)

(Let's see... it seems to be CHA. For Summoner, you'd need 352 CHA or 247 if a miracle occurred and you find a trainer for it. The other two need 396 CHA or 278 trained. The remaining stats should be trivial in comparison.)

(That's... a long way off. What if I took another class first? How bad would it be then?)

(The requirement would rise to 480 CHA for Summoner, untrained of course.)

(352 to 480... 128 extra. So about 20 levels total extra if all classes had at least a CHA growth of 6? Yeah, I better take that early then.)

(So, uh, next we can talk about titles?)

(No, keep that for tomorrow or the day after. That was enough info dump for today.)

(Sure, no problem.)

Me: ok, this will be a short chapter, just some quick info dump on what MC might take for classes and finally the hinted boss fight
Also me: writes 3000 words before I get anywhere

36