Chapter Two
155 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, Guang Shen awoke with a groan. He stretched his back, relaxedly sighing after it gave a few comfortable pops. 

Scratching his cheek, he gave into a languidness he hadn’t felt in a long time. There was also a nice smell in the air. 

It took a moment for his eyes to focus. Only then did he see the window was a little open, and from the light he could tell it was probably almost noon. 

The laziness cleared from his eyes as he sat up. He looked beside him to find Wei Qiang’s side of the mat empty and cold. “Boy!” He called, “Xiao Qiang?!” 

He waited two breaths, but no answer came. He pushed onto his feet with a low curse. Guang Shen couldn’t remember the last time he slept this long, nor when Wei Qiang woke up before him.

In his panic, he stepped on something without knowing it was there. Thankfully, his senses weren’t completely dulled and he pulled back before his foot crushed it. It was a cloth pouch— the very one Guang Shen used to wrap Wei Qiang’s breakfast whenever he leaves early to hunt or chop wood.

Guang Shen felt his body go lax with relief and plopped his butt on the ground. “Damn kid.” He muttered as he undid the knot.

Inside was bread, a piece of roasted meat, and some berries. “When did he…” Guang Shen couldn’t believe Wei Qiang prepared this without waking him. 

Then, he was reminded of the nice smell. He looked towards the brazier where the last of the heat was burning away a white leaf. That was all he needed to know Wei Qiang had thrown pillow weed onto the heat. No wonder I slept so well. Guang Shen didn’t like being tricked, but the night of rest didn’t allow his mood to be soured. “Hmph! See how I deal with that brat later!”

After he finished the small breakfast, he thought to find something to drink. He reached for his cup, the warmth of it surprising him. Guang Shen lifted the chipped lid and a minty smell reached his nose. 

Wei Qiang had steeped mint leaves in hot water for him. Just a sip made Guang Shen feel like his bones were pleasantly melting. 

Again, when he made to take the pot out to get water to boil, he found it was already full! All Guang Shen had to do was light another fire, and one hot bath later he was leaving the hovel with his cane in hand, and a cloak to keep warm. 

He felt refreshed, though that won’t stop him from beating that Wei Qiang senseless!

“Aiya, it’s old man Shen.” The local carpenter smiled. “It’s weird seeing you out so late. You’re normally the first to get up.”

Guang Shen laughed, “That’s how you know I’m getting old. Anyways, brother Shu, have ya seen that boy o’ mine?” 

Whenever he was in the village, Guang Shen was mindful to switch to a rougher form of speaking. It was how he blended in when he first started living in the village. 

“Aye, I’ve seen the boy. Xiao Qiang was out early— earlier than I’ve ever seen em! Think he went to the doctor’s.”

Guang Shen frowned. Is Xiao Qiang alright? The child had been acting weird, but Guang Shen didn’t predict it was a medical matter. “Thanks, brother Ping.” He waved and hurried off. 

There was only one doctor in the village. Rather than saying she ran a hospital, it would be more accurate to call it a clinic. There was a front room where she met people, and a back room where she performed treatments. 

Guang Shen was relieved to find nothing was wrong with Wei Qiang, but also angered by how calmly he was seating in a chair! While I’ve been so worried for nothing!

“Xiao Qiang, you—!” Guang Shen stopped a few steps from the boy. He intended to knock him over the head, but as soon as Wei Qiang looked at him, Guang Shen felt a strange feeling of unfamiliarity with his adopted grandson. “You- You—“ He stopped himself from asking if the boy really was his Wei Qiang.

Wei Qiang smiled, and there was something deeper in the way his lips softly curved. His limpid eyes were depthless, resembling the quiet, undisturbed, water at the bottom of a well. 

To Guang Shen, Wei Qiang’s eyes seemed to bear down on him. He could clearly see his reflection in them. He was unhidden, picked apart, and studied. 

Guang Shen couldn’t help the shiver that rippled down his spine. “Wei Qiang,” He uncharacteristically called the child’s full name in a low voice. “are you okay?” More than fear, more than the feeling of nervousness Wei Qiang’s gaze put in him, Guang Shen was worried. 

Wei Qiang’s smile wavered but for a moment. Something gleamed in his eyes as he lowered his head a little, lips pressed together as though to keep certain words down. When he lifted his head again, the same small smile was on his lips, and all he said was, “Mm, I’m fine. What about grandpa?”

Guang Shen knew it was a lie, yet had no idea where to begin questioning Wei Qiang. Today he truly despised the toughness time in the military had built around his heart. 

He limped closer to Wei Qiang and placed one roughened hand on the child’s head. “I slept well thanks to you. The tea you made was also very good.”

Wei Qiang hurriedly batted away the tears forming in his eyes. “I’ll make it for you everyday.” He promised, I will completely dedicate this life to you

Guang Shen sensed something in Wei Qiang’s tone, but also couldn’t figure out what it was. Sighing, he asked, “Xiao Qiang, what are you doing here so early?”

“I asked aunty Lin to teach me medicine in exchange for helping her gather herbs.”

“Why would you do that?”

“So I can take better care of grandpa.” Wei Qiang replied like it were the most obvious thing in the world. 

Guang Shen had the inexplicable feeling of wanting to pull Wei Qiang into his arms. He cleared his throat with reddened cheeks, “Xiao Qiang, you don’t need to do something like that. I’m old, but I’m healthy.” You’re of royal blood, to have you care for me this much is more than enough. 

“No,” Wei Qiang shook his head. “I can do more. I want to take care of grandpa even more. Grandpa, please let me do this.” 

Guang Shen was weak to Wei Qiang’s stubborn, yet pleading eyes. He rubbed the back of his neck and reasoned, “Xiao Qiang, gathering herbs isn’t an easy task.”

“Have I not lived here all my life? I know the plants very well. And look,” He held up the book he was reading, “aunty Lin gave me this, so I’ll definitely not be confused!”

“…Since when did you know how to read?” 

Wei Qiang realized he made a mistake, but it did not show on his face. 

Confusedly, he asked, “Did grandpa not teach me?”

Indeed, Guang Shen had tried to equip Wei Qiang with some knowledge so things would not be too hard on him when he returned to the capital city. However, Wei Qiang was always childish and did not like the boring lessons. 

The other children, and most of the adults, have almost no literacy— just enough to get by in their daily life. It also didn’t help most people in the village didn’t have money, but battered for their needs whether with each other, or with those in nearby villages. 

However, this Wei Qiang is older than he looks, and has tasted the bitter fruits yielded by his unwillingness to learn. 

He was shamed and humiliated many times for his illiteracy. His family’s partly disappointed, partly annoyed, faces were still fresh in his mind. 

Wei Qiang could not measure how much oil burnt away as he practiced reading and writing late into the night. 

With the knowledge of his past life, he was actually now a little too proficient for a commoner child. 

Guang Shen always thought Wei Qiang did not pay attention to his lessons and eventually stopped teaching all together. After all, the status of Wei Qiang’s family is not small. They could hire him a capable teacher while protecting him from the harsh tongues of nobility. He figured Wei Qiang would be more willing to learn once he realized the importance of it. Who knew the brat actually picked up on it? What were all those tantrums for then? 

Wei Qiang’s past was not of the essence right now, “Still, Xiao Qiang, there could be wild animals. Winter will end soon, they’ll wonder out looking for food.” he needed to ensure this rascal wasn’t doing this on a whim, but understood the danger of this task. 

“I won’t go far into the forest, and I’ll carry a knife every time I go.”

Guang Shen sighed. He could tell Wei Qiang really wanted to do this. He was against it, but it was nice to see Wei Qiang working towards something. Also, medical skills can never be impractical. It will benefit him in the future. “Alright, alright,” The old man gave in and muttered, “you’re as stubborn as a mule.” Not that he hated this trait. In fact, it reminded Guang Shen fondly of the Empress Dowager. “Do what you want, but do not be out too late, and keep your promise; you cannot go too far into the forest.”

Wei Qiang beamed. “Thank you, grandpa! I’ll definitely remember!”

With a nod, Guang Shen yelled towards the door leading to the clinic’s inner room, “Little sister Lin, I’ll be leaving this kid in your hands!”

A plucky older woman stuck her head out of the inner room and waved her hand with a giggle, “Don’t worry, old man Shen, I’ll take good care of him. Xiao Qiang is also very smart, you’re lucky to have such a caring grandson.”

They exchanged a few more words, then Guang Shen ruffled Wei Qiang’s hair and fastened his cloak as he turned to leave, “I hafta get to work now. Don’t forget what you said, Xiao Qiang.”

Wei Qiang watched Guang Shen’s back until he took the turn towards their hovel and totally disappeared from sight. He did so to hone some inspiration to read, because the book was terribly boring

Commoners didn’t read. First of all, books are expensive— whether it be the materials used to make it, or the grueling production process. Most commoners could go through their entire life without ever so much as holding a book.

There are also more productive things for a commoner to do with their time than reading. 

With no servants to handle their matters, the things a commoner doesn’t take care of today can become a life threatening issue in a month or so.

As such, a noble who reads is calm and learned, but a commoner who reads is lazy and indulgent.

For the tough life of those with neither title, nor money, is it not wiser to know what one needs to know, rather than accumulating knowledge they will likely never use? 

Wei Qiang leaned over and covered his face. Though he spent many nights learning to read and write, that didn’t mean he’s come to actually like the activity. 

He wondered if one really must be raised as a noble to keep their minds from wandering as their eyes simply trailed over the words without absorbing anything. 

After a few breaths, Wei Qiang sat up straight and continued reading the old, tattered, book. After all, he’s doing this for something much bigger than himself. It was easier to put in the effort when he thought about how he thoroughly disappointed Guang Shen’s expectations in his past life. 

When needed, he’d ask Doctor Lin for an explanation, and when he found himself getting sleepy he would stand, pace, and read the words aloud. 

Doctor Lin would peek in on Wei Qiang every now and then, and her impression of him grew better each time. She thought he would give up soon, but every time she looked he was repeating sentences to cram the contents of the book. Such a filial child... It’s not often you see a kid this age so determined to cultivate themselves— especially in a field as difficult as medicine. 

As she handed him a bowl of porridge, Doctor Lin was dazzled by the boy’s bright smile. Within her heart, she decided to teach him to the very best of her abilities.

When the sun set, Wei Qiang had never been so happy. He was happy to go home, but was also severely humbled by his concentration problem. It’s not like my mind is that of a child! He thought it would be easier since his personality is more mature than his age implies, but all Wei Qiang walked away with was a handful of brittle knowledge, and the bitter taste of humility. 

Sighing, he comforted himself with Doctor Lin’s patient teachings. Wei Qiang soothed his bruised pride; At least Doctor Lin even let me take one of the books home with me. 

The hovel came into view and vaguely familiar voices pulled Wei Qiang from his musings. He raised his head and saw a small group of soldiers outside their home, Guang Shen the only thing standing between them and the hovel. 

“Old man, come on,” One of the soldiers spoke in a friendly manner, but the hand resting on his sword’s hilt hinted at a threat, “we just need a little firewood. Aren’t ya the resident woodcutter?”

Guang Shen’s broad shoulders slumped, and Wei Qiang felt hatred churn in his stomach. “Please, I only have enough for my child and me to keep warm at night.” 

Wei Qiang wondered how difficult it must be for Guang Shen to put down his pride like this. It wasn’t the first time either.

Wei Qiang could taste blood from where his teeth punctured his inner cheek. In his past life he would watch this sight while hidden in the their home, crippled with fear and praying for the worst to pass quickly. 

The Zhou Li soldiers enter villages to make “requests”. Of course, the price of not fulfilling these requests is to immediately have their lands pillaged. After all, Ran Zhu has been under the Zhou Li nation’s jurisdiction since the war sparked all those years ago. 

People like Guang Shen were easy picking— an old man with a child to care for, and a rickety roof over their heads. If they didn’t take firewood without giving anything back, then they would take their food, clothing. 

Fists clenched, Wei Qiang recalled how the soldiers once tore off a part of their wall because Guang Shen had no wood to give them. We almost froze to death that night…!

“Old man Shen, we’ve been pretty good to ya, haven’t we?” Another soldier chuckled. “We take way less from ya than others, you shouldn’t take our kindness for granted.”

Acidic hatred pumped through Wei Qiang’s veins with each heavy thump of his heart. Less?! They had to take less because Guang Shen and Wei Qiang have much, much less than others. 

Drawing a deep breath, he childishly called out, “Grandpa!” Up until now, some part of him opposed it, but now? I’ll definitely kill you guys this time! 

“Xiao Qiang…?” Guang Shen’s voice shook. He hoped Wei Qiang would only return once he was able to send the soldiers away. 

“Oh! Is that yer boy?” One of the soldiers exclaimed. He blocked the way between old man Shen and Wei Qiang, squatting down to get a look at the latter. “Kid, yer old man’s been taking care of us for a while, but it’s my first time actually seeing yer.”

His gaze was slimy. The soldier wasn’t into men— war hadn’t driven him that far off the brink of sexual frustration— but Wei Qiang’s beauty was unmissable. 

It is to be expected of someone who will grow to be called a calamitous beauty. 

The more the soldier looked, the more he realized he might be able to do it with a guy.

Contrary to his sleazy thoughts, the Commander leading them stared intently at Wei Qiang. There was a sense of deja vu that grew stronger the longer he observed the child that was barely a teenager.

He pulled his calculative eyes back to Guang Shen and asked, “You’ve been here since the war started, right? What were you even doing in a place like this?”

Guang Shen cocked his head with a foolish look. “Aiya, it’s been so long, I can barely remember. …Ah! Right, right! I hitched a ride with some merchants and somehow ended up here.” He rubbed the back of his head and laughed, “Never knew I’d end up staying this long.”

The man hummed and stole a glance at Wei Qiang. “And your boy, were you traveling with him at that time?”

“How could I? Hadn’t met the kid yet.”

“He’s not of yer blood?” The soldier blocking Wei Qiang asked. 

“Never even been married,” Guang Shen shrugged. “found the kid ‘bout to be eaten by dogs and took em in.”

The Commander scoffed, “How nice of you.” then took the other soldier’s place in front of Wei Qiang. “Kid, tell me, how old are you?”

The man was almost stunned speechless. Not just because of Wei Qiang’s looks, but because the more he searched, the more he thought he could see Princess Zhongcheng’s features. 

Wei Qiang lowered his head, putting on a fearful act to hide the murderous intent in his eyes. “Twelve. I turned twelve just a month ago.” 

Guang Shen almost slumped over. He had been putting so much effort into hiding his nervousness that relief nearly downed him when Wei Qiang lied. 

The Commander spat in disappointment. “That so…” Then again, he was still pretty green when the attack was launched. In the chaos, he was barely able to get a clear look of Princess Zhongcheng, just pursuing the most guarded person in the group.

Thanks to the unforeseen circumstances of his birth, Wei Qiang was shorter than his peers. Guang Shen also moved around a lot back then, so no one really knew how old Wei Qiang was— they estimated his age according to his size, and Guang Shen didn’t bother to correct them.

Hell, not even his full name was known. He is “Xiao Qiang” because that’s what Guang Shen has always called him. Only the hermit and the boy knew the younger’s family name is “Wei”.

“Well,” The Commander pushed to his feet and looked at Guang Shen, “that just leaves us with the issue of firewood, old man Shen. Can’t let my men go cold.”

The soldiers closed in on Guang Shen with sinister looks. He really wasn’t lying. The winter made it harder to chop wood so he cut enough for him and Wei Qiang, then traded the rest for food and materials to make clothes.

“Ah! No, don’t hurt grandpa!” Wei Qiang burst into tears and ran to hug Guang Shen’s waist. “The firewood, we’ll give you!”

“That’s more like it.” The Commander laughed. “Old man, your kid’s a coward, but he’s at least got more sense than you.” He roughly patted Wei Qiang’s head. “Alright boy, tell me where it is and we’ll be on our way.”

Wei Qiang buried his face in Guang Shen’s side. “I-In the storeroom in the back…”

Guang Shen lowered his head, seemingly in defeat, but his eyes were swimming with confusion. Wei Qiang had lied again. That, or he forgot they kept it in their room during winter so it would burn easier when they needed it. 

“Commander, I’ve got it!” One of the soldiers returned with an armful of thin twisted branches. 

The commander cocked an eyebrow at Guang Shen. “It’s too cold to cut through trees. This is all I can get at this old age of mine.” The hermit looked apologetic. 

“Useless.” The Commander sneered and jerked his chin, signaling for the others to follow him.

Only when they were far out of sight did Guang Shen ask Wei Qiang, “Why did you lie to them?”

“Grandpa~!” Wei Qiang sniffled pitifully and delved into another lie, “Do you want me to die?”

Guang Shen was confused. “What are you crying about?”

“I heard uncle Shu say people aren’t supposed to enter the military until they’re sixteen, but the Zhou Li army do not mind recruiting children.”

Guang Shen almost laughed at their good luck. Who knew Wei Qiang would hear such a thing and lie to save himself? 

Soon, however, he recalled the wood in the storehouse and gave Wei Qiang’s cheek a pinch. “Don’t tell me you also went to cut those branches by yourself. No wonder my knife was so dull!”

The younger male giggled and hugged Guang Shen again. “I told grandpa, I’ll take care of you from now on.” The snifter undertone of his words went unheard. 

“I’m not so old as to need some brat’s help.” Again, Guang Shen left before his embarrassed face could be seen. Behind him, unrestrained wrath burned in Wei Qiang’s eyes. 

The boy looked back at the mess of footprints the soldiers left in the snow. The wood they took away are the branches of a shallow breath tree. 

Even those who grew up in Ran Zhu have a hard time telling the difference between the tree and a young oak. Don’t even mention the Zhou Li soldiers who never do their work but steal what they need from the locals. Since you want to take, go ahead and take as much as you want

Wei Qiang took a few steps after Guang Shen, then stopped with a wondering look. How strange… He thought the crime of murder would weigh on his conscience, yet it was only a small stain of guilt in the corner of his heart. For the most part, he felt… liberated. 

For once, he was the schemer urging and stopping the winds without anyone’s knowledge. 

A smile tugged the corner of Wei Qiang’s lips as he made his way into the hovel. I think I understand why people like tricking others so much, It’s great fun when you’re not the butt of the joke!

NEXT UPDATE- June 24th 22

9