Chapter Six
132 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hi there, I just wanted to apologize for how short this chapter is. I normally try to write up to three thousand words or more but could only reach over two thousand as I’ve been busy all this week preparing for a trip. Also, since this was a rushed job I wasn’t able to find enough time to edit so if there are any grammatical errors I hope you’ll forgive them. As soon as I get settled I’ll try to go over the chapter and correct my mistakes. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy the chapter.

Though Guang Shen kindly detailed his location in the letter, Eunuch Steward Kwong did not approach immediately after arriving in Ran Zhu. 

Rather, he took a full day observing Wei Qiang, and the more he saw the more his heart soared with hope, relief, and sadness. 

Through out the day he watched Wei Qiang do all sorts of work— hunting, fishing, woodcutting, cooking— labors someone of his status should never even dream of doing.

Regardless of the unique features making up Wei Qiang’s outstanding beauty, his differences did not hide the royal blood flowing in his veins. 

Having been around the bloodline all this time, Eunuch Steward Kwong could not miss Wei Qiang’s similarities to them— he had the same siren eyes as the Emperor prior. They even glowed with a subtle fierceness just as the late monarch’s used to. 

Like Left Prime Minister Wei Zhang, Wei Qiang had a mole under the outer corners of his eyes, and when annoyed he had Princess Zhongcheng’s habit of chewing his bottom lip.

Eunuch Steward Kwong could see a stubbornness all too reminiscent of the Empress Dowager— stubbornness to push past one’s own weakness, to not complain in spite of their own sufferings.

Even if he was beaten to death, Eunuch Steward Kwong could not deny Wei Qiang was of the family he served. This also meant Guang Shen was alive, but… but not for much longer…

That night, Eunuch Steward Kwong returned to the hovel. He knocked twice, and after hearing a bit of shuffling on the other side, the door was slightly opened, Wei Qiang’s suspicious eyes regarding him through the small gap. 

The Eunuch had practiced what he would say, but now that he stood here, he was speechless. 

He couldn’t possibly know that he needed no introduction. 

No matter how disliked he was, how could Wei Qiang, the Emperor’s nephew, not know the face of the Emperor’s trusted Steward? 

Still, knowing the man did nothing to lessen his shock. Once more, the future changed. 

In Wei Qiang’s past life, Guang Shen was dead for little over a month before Eunuch Steward Kwong arrived in Ran Zhu. 

The reason was that in Wei Qiang’s first life, Yong Haoyu, Yong Haoyan, and Ming Fang never found a good opportunity to poison the Zhou Li army. At the end, the war was won on a battle of wills— one that resulted in countless deaths. 

This time, the success of Yong Haoyu’s strategy boosted the morale of his soldiers and saved him enough manpower to quickly and effectively chase away the Zhou Li army. As a result, roads in and out of Ran Zhu were able to open up much earlier than they did in Wei Qiang’s past life. 

For now, how could he know what great a contribution he made? 

Wei Qiang remained as befuddled as Eunuch Steward Kwong. He could not help doubting his eyes and opening the door wider to take a better look. 

Eunuch Steward Kwong was dressed in commoner garbs and wore a straw hat. He looked more youthful as well, but he was definitely the one in Wei Qiang’s memories. 

When Wei Qiang did not utter a sound, nor return to his side, Guang Shen called out, “Xiao Qiang, what is it? Who is there with you?”

While it was weaker and gruffer than it was years ago, Eunuch Steward Kwong recognized Guang Shen’s voice. “S-Shen…?” The magnanimous voice that spoke the orders of the Emperor himself went low and stuffy with suppressed sobs. 

Guang Shen also knew his friend’s voice well. He sat up, trembling all over as he wondered if he had unknowingly slipped into a dream. “…Kwong.” If he had, then this was his cruelest dream yet. In his dreams, his loved ones were always so faraway. When reached for them they would disappear farther. When he called to them their voices echoed back from a great distance.

This time, the presence didn’t move, the voice remained, close, loud, and sure. “Shen!”

Wei Qiang moved aside, letting Eunuch Steward Kwong rush in and throw his arms around Guang Shen. 

Two great men brought down by their unreconciled emotions. They poured their hearts into every tear, their words becoming garbled. 

Their moment not only freed them, but Wei Qiang as well. As he watched them, he felt his chest tighten to the point it became difficult to breathe. 

Suddenly, everything he did up until now seemed worth it. In his first life, Guang Shen was never able to say goodbye to those he loved— not even to Wei Qiang. He silently passed away in his sleep, and Wei Qiang didn’t realize it until he woke up the next day. 

He didn’t know in exact detail how his actions helped create this moment, but as he clutched his chest, a few tears trickling down his cheeks, he knew all his sufferings was for Guang Shen to have this opportunity. It was all worth it

*****

Doctor Lin’s role in the village was a crucial one, so she was often up much earlier than others.

She opened the front door of her clinic, her tired eyes almost missing the basket seating outside.

It was the large basket she’d given Wei Qiang to use when collecting herbs. Since he started assisting her in treating patients, he was aware of what the clinic needed before she even mentioned it. Since then, Doctor Lin left it in his care so he would not have to come get it before heading into the forest.

She peeked outside, looking left and right but not seeing her student. With a confused frown, Doctor Lin decided to take the basket in for now, then ask Wei Qiang why he dropped it off later.

Surprisingly, when she tried to pick it up the basket stayed put as she had exerted less strength while believing it was empty.

Lifting the lid, Doctor Lin found the basket stuffed to the brim with bundles, on bundles of herbs. On top was a small piece of paper;

“Thank you”

“This…” Doctor Lin didn’t know what to think, she only had a strange urgency to see Wei Qiang. 

She took the basket in before starting for the hovel. 

Doctor Lin felt the lack of life before he confirmed it. With only a light knock the hovel’s old door creaked open. Doctor Lin had only visited a few times since knowing Guang Shen and Wei Qiang, and while the place looked as it always did, there was a loneliness to the old, dilapidated hovel that she had never felt before.

The day was still young, and it certainly didn’t look like any harm had befallen the pair, yet, as she recalled the letter in the basket, Doctor Lin felt certain she would never be seeing those two again. 

Many days passed since Eunuch Steward Kwong had Wei Qiang and Guang Shen move into the courtyard he was renting. 

He hoped they could begin the journey back to the capital, but merely going from the village to the city took a toll on Guang Shen. 

Deliberately ignoring the inevitable, Eunuch Steward Kwong and Guang Shen spent their time chatting and catching up like tomorrow was promised for both of them. 

Watching Wei Qiang from the window, the Eunuch praised, “You raised a filial Princess, Shen.” Wei Peizhi and Princess Zhongcheng would sooner be dead than do what this child is doing. He amusedly thought.

There were a limited number of servants traveling with Eunuch Steward Kwong— all for the sake of not allowing Guang Shen’s existence be known by anyone else. Still, there were enough to take care of Guang Shen. Yet, Wei Qiang would not allow it. 

Since he is a “lady”, there were some things Steward Kwong would resolutely stop him from doing. Nonetheless, Wei Qiang was consistently taking care of Guang Shen from before the older man woke up, to after he went to bed. 

“…Xiao Qiang has always… had a good heart.” Guang Shen heaved. He could not help feeling guilty for not correcting Steward Kwong. He did not imagine the last days of his life would be spent lying to his dear friend— he did not imagine he would ever join in fooling the Emperor and Empress Dowager. 

He also turned his eyes to the window, where he could hear Wei Qiang diligently sweeping the pathway as he did everyday. …When he’s this lovable, I can’t help but do what he says. Guang Shen sighed helplessly. 

Unaware of his friend’s inner turmoil, Steward Kwong’s impression of Wei Qiang grew better and better.

Not long ago, the two carefully informed Wei Qiang of his true identity. It wasn’t a surprise to him, who is experiencing a second life, but to Steward Kwong Wei Qiang appeared like a very humble, filial, and clearheaded youth. 

In truth, Wei Qiang was just so thoroughly disillusioned with his family he could not be bothered to act surprised. Instead, he poured all his efforts into tending to Guang Shen, involuntarily raising Steward Kwong’s impression of him. 

Once he was done sweeping, Wei Qiang washed his hands and went to Guang Shen’s room. 

He thought it would be nice to say the two were having a conversation, but it was more like Eunuch Steward Kwong speaking a few words, then Guang Shen descending into raspy coughs whenever he tried to reply. 

Steward Kwong noticed Wei Qiang standing in the doorway and smiled sadly at the boy. 

The younger nodded in greeting, then walked over to rub Guang Shen’s back. “Grandpa, maybe we shouldn’t go for a walk today.” He suggested. 

Guang Shen shook his head, fervently motioning towards his wheelchair though the action left him even more breathless. 

These days, he longed to be outdoors. The sun, the smell of summer, and the warm breeze that seemed to coax his soul away each time it brushed by him. 

After Eunuch Steward Kwong helped Guang Shen into the wheelchair, he pushed the man into the garden with Wei Qiang walking besides them. 

He wished the place was more like an actual garden with flowers and ponds rather than a small yard with neatly trimmed bushes. 

Guang Shen didn’t mind. In his mind, the yard bloomed with magnificent, vibrant flowers. He could see the Empress Dowager dragging a then Prince Jin Bing Wen and Princess Zhongcheng to catch butterflies, while Eunuch Kwong perched near a bush to eat the jar of honey he most definitely swiped from the kitchen. 

Seeing Guang Shen’s content and distant smile, Wei Qiang’s heart tightened as he unconsciously grabbed his grandfather’s arm as though to stop him leaving. 

Guang Shen looked towards Wei Qiang. He couldn’t see the younger’s face, but he could tell there was a frown on that brow, lips pursed with unwillingness while dark eyes were childishly blaming Guang Shen for making him unhappy. 

“Grandpa…” Wei Qiang’s voice held an insistence, a plea for something he knew he had no right to ask for. 

He told himself that he has mourned Guang Shen once, so why can’t he do it a second time? Time had been against them from the start, he already knew this day was coming, he had time to prepare, he should be ready! Don’t… He gulped, feeling like he was being strangled. Don’t leave me! Such selfish words could never leave his mouth. 

And they didn’t need to. 

Guang Shen heard the cries of his heart loud and clear and wanted to tell Wei Qiang of how much he wished he could have been there longer, how much he wanted to watch him grow and thrive as only his precious little rose could. 

Sadly, he could feel his remaining time was just enough to say, “Wei Qiang, no matter what you do in the future, no matter who you become, know I have not regretted a single thing I’ve done. To have been by your side… to have been loved by you, there is no greater glory I could have received!” He reached up, cupping Wei Qiang’s cheek and interrupting the stream of tears, “You are not the child of my blood, but you will always be the child of my heart.”

The dam in Wei Qiang’s heart broke. Just as he opened his mouth profess his love and gratefulness to Guang Shen, the hand on his cheek went slack.

Wei Qiang didn’t know what came over him after that. He vaguely saw Eunuch Steward Kwong fall to his knees. He heard a cry so guttural his eardrums rattled, and only till his throat started to burn did he realize that broken scream was his own. 

NEXT UPDATE- 29th July 22

7