Chapter 1
5k 18 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's a thing about people and their vision of power. Some want power to rule people; others want power to make them fear you. Then there's people who fight fear using their power to keep people's hopes up. 'heroes' that's the term people use.
I on the other hand believe that if a person with power can do something they should do it to improve not harm.
Yet I know for a fact that there comes a time when someone has to act when no one else can. In those times it's up to you to realize that maybe you're the hero.

I don't really know how I got here first I'm just a regular guy, skinny, healthy and average height. I felt a pull on my arm and then just like that everything stopped working my mind went blank and at the time the Last thought I had was the one of my grandmother being diagnosed with a deadly cardiac disease.

Necrotic Myocardio a heart disease that makes your heart die if not treated... 'Oh.' No last words no nothing, just me lying in the ground dying as people looked like they were worried about me. 'Huh. So boring.' I looked back to my life, a graduate top of the class, no friends, little to no family, no father, only mother and my brother. 'Will they miss me?' Nah, maybe they won't after all we ended up in different points in the argument, each on their own side.

After just darkness I slowly felt myself lose the conscious and thoughts that made sense, touch, smell, taste, sounds, everything dimmed down like a light slowly being turned off. But just as fast the lights came back in, only these time they were yellow and unfocused, my senses came to me in seconds everything at once, pressure, relief, warmth, cold, then warmth again, my skin felt like it was so sensitive.

It's weird because I feel like I'm in the back and my abilities to think are slowly dimming themselves like something is pushing them down. Making my intellect become dormant slowly seeing something or someone fall asleep, I feel grasping for straws but just as fast it dissipated my memories only thing left is my consciousness and some things but not my memories.

"W-t -ll you do?" A voice I didn't recognize said aloud.

"-n't know, I -n't t-e c-re of -er." A womans voice sounded so close to me.

"She looks like me, but I don't have the ability to take care of her." The same voice rumbled. I didn't hear her voice, I felt her speak. It's
english but... what's english and how do I know it.

"We take her to the Fire Department, it's around here."

"It's a crime to leave a baby abandoned there."

"No, if you leave it in a government building, or public service."

Next thing I knew I was being left in a small box wrapped in blankets that were uncomfortable which made me complain, the whole sky is dark and other blurry lights. I could hear a bark, loud yet far. I feel nervous, my body is not responding, I can't move, I can't do anything except babble in a call for help.0

"Did you guys remembered to give Cindy her meal?" I heard it far it’s a babble but I made out the words, not really how far since this makes no sense. I could hear something moving the box and then a bark that could've been thunder for all I knew.

"What's wrong Cindy?" I heard a male voice that sounded too rough. I let out a small cry from my lips not like I could make words; my mouth is too unresponsive to me.

"Oh shit. SCOTT GET HERE NOW!" I heard how he yelled out it was deafening I whimpered in fear. I could see how giant hands went to me, I tried to fight but the blankets were too obstructing.

"It's okay little one, you're okay." I heard his voice rumble he placed me near his chest which is warm and comforting.

"Boss what's... what the fuck?" I let out a groan from the peace I was getting.

"Don't yell Scott, she was in that box Cindy found her. Look for a note." The silence returned and I was slowly easing up as my eyes were slowly drifting from the tiredness in them.

"No no note boss, someone left her here and only left a box and those blankets." The man came close to me. "Sorry little one, but life is hard make sure to fight it with tooth and nail." He said as my eyes cleared a bit, he has blonde hair and green eyes.

"We have to take her to the nearest orphanage, she can't stay here."

"Yeah. No baby can stay here." The other guy said, but did he say baby? It suddenly dawned on me, no movement control, no tongue control, blurry things and my ears barely work. 'I'm a fucking baby.' At that moment I bawled and cried until my heart was out.

"Shh, it's okay... Cindy... yeah, you look like a Cindy." I grimaced at the name. 'I have a vague feeling that wasn't right. I remember having short hair and being a male... I think.' I cried harder until I fell into a peaceful slumber.

 

It's been a year of being here, I hate how my life is right now, I hate the fact that I don't know why I feel uncomfortable, everything I do is sluggish, I feel useless. And worst of all, I hate this place the cradle, it took me a few months to learn how to walk... again. I can only sigh as my life will be really hard, I was reborn into a girl’s body but I do have one advantage and that is that I'm in America a land where I grew.

English is still foreign to my tongue since it doesn't go long after just babbles and incoherent words. The orphanage which is a place I can only describe as gloomy is one of the places that I can describe as rundown. I get food because apparently the matriarch likes me since I'm a baby.

I'm fed and bathed something normal for a baby. But I hate how everything is foreign to me how every single person and thing are much bigger than me. The reason why I came to hate this place is the treatment, how some kids look at me in disgust in jealousy. I do try to cheer them up by smiling which are still gums with teeth coming out slowly. I can only describe life here as hard.

It's been three years of me staying here I can move and speak, I can also read which is a real relief to me. I was so disconnected from the outside world, I was in the group of kids my age, mostly three year olds who were ordered to draw and not get out of the edges. It's dumb, I feel so stupid as if I knew I was smarter than all these kids.

"Cindy can you hand me that newspaper?" I looked up remembering how my name is Cindy no last name. I stretched my small arm and looked at the date. 'Novermber 12 1997.' Wait 1997 wasn't that almost twenty years ago. 'Why twenty?' I felt my head beginning to spin.

I remember a little boy, getting bullied, making friends, then loneliness, then a discussion and then him falling into the ground clutching his chest. "Agh!" I felt years returning to me, as if it was in a safe that burst from the pressure filling my head, but only a really small section. I remember math, books, songs, movies, tv shows.

I opened my eyes which didn't feel like they were closed but it all became so clear. It's like things became simpler, easier from a mental standpoint.

"Cindy sweetie are you okay?" I looked up as I felt something warm ran down my nose. I could hear a girl freaking out from the sight, as well as another kid saying 'Gross' in the background but it was slowly coming back to me.

"Oh my, come here sweetie." The woman said as I stood up slowly and a tissue was placed under my nose.

"What happened? Did you get hit?" Miss Patty said in worry.

"No, I feel weird. My head hurt but now no, I feel clearer. I feel fine but with a little headache."

"Alright Cindy, just keep this in your nose."

It happened so suddenly, the change was palpable I was smarter. But my brain feels DIFFERENT, I was overall miserable. I didn't realize how bad the orphanage was, this place is horrible and I've wanted to get out of here with all my soul but it doesn't matter what I do, because no family wants me, each interview, each family not ONE wants me.

At 4 I was sent to the room with the other girls, to my name there is nothing. Only a fancy dress for interviews for potential adopters. But it doesn't feel right, couples didn't wanted me as a baby. It's odd because not one, ONE, adopted me. It doesn't make sense.

I came to the conclusion of being an ugly kid; I mean everyone likes a cute kid who would want an ugly kid? No one. I thought I would get sent to a house with other orphan kids but, one day just 5 other kids vanished. One younger than me left, the matron said "They were chosen." It doesn't make sense.

But I won't give up; when people were scheduled to visit I woke up first. BY 6:00 A.M. I was awake and taking a shower, 5 minutes later I was ready for the day hoping with my heart that I would get a family like the one I lost, long before the time we fought. I remember those days with that previous family whenever I feel hopeless, on those days when this life is unbearable. 

 

The first day of school which is where all the other kids in the orphanage go it was grueling, everyone pointed at us since we're from the orphanage everyone leaves with the adult in charge. By the time we had tests, we were graded and I excelled in every subject, its so easy... well, mainly because I already knew this stuff out of the top of my head after all its child math.

But there was something different in history, no drastic changes but one thing that I thought like a joke. "Captain America." The book mentioned a chapter about him. I dismissed it as it was only one chapter, I don't really care as I knew history but I had to read everything once and it would stick with me. But since everything is SO easy I had an idea.

After a lot of begging and bothering the matron, I got permission to go to the library with one of the adults who supervised. It consisted in me helping cleaning the dishes, in order for me to be let out to the library with an adult. My knowledge in engendering let me understand heavy topics.

While I knew the people in the orphanage suspected I was a small genius they had no idea. But it all changed on the moment I read how a certain "Howard Stark" was the head researcher in the revolution of technology in the 1940s onward. How he participated in the creation of the Manhattan Project as well as his descendancy, under the name of Anthony Edward Stark. A man who is supposed to be Iron Man, I freaked out that day it came in a flash those movies I saw, all the characters, events, catastrophes, fights, everything got ingrained into my brain.

But my thirst for knowledge just grew bigger; I know a genius made an armor out of metal scraps and car batteries. This world, the science is bullshit; instead of dying from radiation he gets turned into a giant green monster, a kid gets bitten by a SUCCESFULLY bioengineered spider gets powers instead of dying. "Can we go see experiments to the Stark Expo?" I asked to the tutor as I held a book that detailed
Howards creations, also I wanted to see the inventions I was sure as hell going to the expo to see the inventions, last thing I want is hydra breathing down my neck.

But I do want one thing, and that is the blueprints for the thing that they consider garbage. The arc reactor, both tony and that guy that Mickey Rourke played built them in pitch black darkness in a cave and a basement... I think.

But I got shut down after asking, they said it was a long trip, I begged literally begged in my knees expecting for a yes. I even pulled the heartstrings of the matron by saying that I would be a good girl, and did my best to be adopted, if I went to the expo. After 3 whole weeks of begging and 4 more months of dishwashing and washing clothes they relented.

I was ecstatic from getting the chance to see Howard and Tony starks inventions, I could try and talk to Tony. But that is a whole can of worms. It's his last expo and it will be my chance to get something that I desperately need.

 

And that day came, it was only me and a few kids as well as the supervisor whose name is Sally a volunteer college student who looks like she'd rather be anywhere else, after all I think she's doing social service. Which gives me the change to get my way on doing things, AKA steal a plan of something everyone right now, and considers trash.

As we were on the way taking the bus to the expo on Manhattan I only need one glance on the arc reactor schematics, actually I could try and remember the beginning from Iron Man 2 and start from there to remember but that is plan B. We unloaded from the bus Sally began explaining. "Okay kids we will be going together and don't you separate yourselves if you do. Get to a security guard and tell them that you are to wait until the end of the expo around 5 in the exit number 5. Five of Five. We will follow the buddy system, but we're seven in total." I looked to my left to see everyone already had a buddy giving me dirty looks, even sally had molly a girl a year older that hates my guts.

"I'm safe from the freak, thank god." Molly said in relief. 'Ouch. I'm not a freak; I'm just smarter than any of you will ever be. What did I ever do to you?' Molly is a bully, I have the mentality of an adult, but the hormones and my body makes me feel like I was a child and every emotion is just amplified.

"It's alright, I can go by myself. I remember everything I see, so don't worry about me I can handle myself." I said in a confident tone and my gaze never faltering. This would make me as confident in my words and I would make a bond with Sally. Who just shrugged and gave me the go ahead 'Whoa, if I even get kidnapped she would be going to jail, but I think she needs to be more responsible.' I received the badge and I was free to do whatever I wanted, which means my mission began.

 

After a few minutes of walking around looking at the mechanics in everything, it's awesome. I had a major in electrical and mechanical engineering before dying trying for a masters on physics. But I can only say that things here are awesome but outdates as hell.

I looked at the exposition for Howard Stark, looking around I analyzed the patterns and the entry points. There are 3 guards one for each important part in the expo for no one to get backstage. But I can make a distraction; I looked at the closest things from me. A machine that is supposed to give better signal for TV's, what looks like a portable and unpractical telephone, and lastly an engine for a new car which is supposed to be a 1999 Ford Truck from the pick-up truck parked beside it.

My grin grew at the sight of the engine working, from my knowledge I know 2 things if the electrical input in an engine overloads the rest of the engine is stimulated to go faster. But if a single cable is out place just 2 inches to the side then it overloads and works as if the car is constantly pushing the pedal.

As the guards were distracted I enacted my plan, amping up the current by first moving the cable and bending it in the way for it to be stuck and stimulated the electrical output by changing the battery that its connected to give current directly to the rubber on the other cable.

It will not blow up it will just short circuit, I know this by heart because I did it twice once in accident the second one to make sure it worked like that.

As the engine revved up I was out of sight and was standing watching engineers try to see why the engine began revving up even when the cable was set in place which made start a new cycle of electrical current with more power. The noise is deafening and guards turned heads towards that place giving me my chance.

As I walked backstage I kept to the shadows as I learned before. For a fact I know Tony is supposed to not be here since he was recently spotted in a conference in another place. For a fact I know the blueprints have to be stored near here. I could see a mantle covering something, something that has the shape of a giant arc reactor.

Looking around once again I heard the pop of the engine which made heads turn and giving my chance to move. I was under the mantle in seconds looking at it was amazing it's gigantic but useless as of right now. I heard a man yelling. "What the hell is going on? People are already making a mess, and where is Tony?" Looking at the detail of the invention was enough to get the idea in my head, but I need a blueprint. Which are mainly stored in the lab and a copy, in... files, but for this to be here and not in California where the story takes place it had to be built here.

And to my luck beside the mantle I could see my price, a big desk with a lamp and a design that resembled the arc reactor. If those weren't it, then the words "ARC REACTOR" at the top were just baloney.

People began moving again I walked slowly and saw a chair just below it my stature not tall enough but nimble enough to make it to the table. I moved from the shadows and dashed to the table, I heard someone shout at me. "HEY!" I ignored it and stood on the chair and had my clear look at the blueprints, instructions and notes directly from Howards hands, palladium, copper wire, glass, a conductive material as base and a kick to start the cycle.

Basically I could produce this for energy and from the notes the amperage it creates is off the chains! I could make a battery that would never run out of power. I memorized every detail to heart, every nook, cranny and bent and crumpled pieces. I smiled widely at the invention and it was within my reach. I couldn't take it, but I could memorize it.

"Kid!" I jumped in the scare, almost falling from the chair but a man caught me.

"What are you doing kid?" Obadiah Stane as his badge stated and he looks like a younger Jeff Bridges.

"Umm I got... lost?" I pulled my most innocent face and used what little cuteness I had.

"Oh really?" He clearly does not believe me.

"... yes." I could only face palm myself from how stupid my answers are.

"And did you get lost standing on top of a chair that has blueprints that are from an invention?"

"It's made by Howard Stark I'm a huge fan, he revolutionized the mechanical enterprises. His researches and published papers are awesome."

"So you can understand his gibberish?"

"It's not gibberish, its smart people talk." I defended not realizing I just insulted him.

"Oh so you're telling me you're smart." I am definitely walking on thin ice.

"I didn't say that, it's just that I like to read about machines since they're better than talking to people. At least machines don't talk or insult me." I didn't expect that to come out, guess my isolation is taking its effect on my psyche. He looked at me with doubt. "Does this even work?" I asked trying to make myself just a curious lost child. Obadiah is also an ignorant.

"No, it's just light, a really fancy and expensive lamp." 'You're an idiot; this thing has a lot of power.'

"I think it's pretty."

"You know kid, you like Howards inventions right?" I nodded shyly attempting for him to either give me the blueprints as a gift or for me to leave. "Why? Who are you?" That struck a chord with me... and I have one answer as to who I am in this place, this life.

"I'm no one; I don't have anything that's mine." I admitted as I looked at the blueprints with longing.

"You're an orphan?"

"Yes, I got abandoned after I was born. I have nothing just things the orphanage hands me down from previous kids I begged here for a whole month to just be able to come here and I'm here because it's my birthday and the entrance is free." Saying it aloud, it hurts; it's painful that I have nothing that I can call mine unlike my previous life where I was blessed with many things.

"Then here, a gift for your birthday." He just pulled the blueprints into a roll and stored it into the tube that was sitting beside the table and gave it to me. "And here's a card if in the future you want to work in Stark Industries you may be no one right now, one day you can become someone." He gave me a card and in the back wrote his name and signature.

"Really? Don't you need this for like dismantling?"

"No, the blueprint is just a copy and it was shipped from California. As soon as this is done this will be shipped back."

"When you're older present that card and they'll give you a job. Guard takes her from here and let her keep the tube it's a present." And with that he walked away, and in his place stood a guard.

"You shouldn't be here kid, you're lucky he found you snooping around and not me or you would be in deep trouble little lady." I jumped out of the seat and took the hand he offered.

He took me to the expo once again and left me there as he returned to his post not even bothering to hear from me or who I was with. 'But this is an even better result than what I expected.'

This day can't get me down no matter what! I love this expo even the cheesy movie reel that was of Howard making the inauguration about going into the future.

As five in the evening rolled around I saw everything and I began approaching the fifth gate and I was so happy. "Hello Cindy, did you get bored?" Sally said as she came along with I think her name is Ellie.

"No uh, it was amazing! All the inventions were on display and I got this!" I smiled proudly at my gift it hurt smiling so much, I don't think I've smiled this much before.

"You're so weird, what is that?" Ellie asked which I ignored.

"Ellie that's mean you shouldn't insult others. And Cindy what is in it?"

"It's a blueprint for a night light, I think." I kept my intelligence hidden behind the child naiveté.

"Oh that's nice." Sally said with a smile that I know its fake and a tone that indicated that she was tired as we reached the

"Finally, Sally, can we leave?" The kid that was with Molly complained aloud.

"Yeah, this place is boring. Everything here is so weird like that freak." Molly said in a mocking tone as she pointed at me as she arrived. 'Okay ouch, I know you doesn’t like me. But shit that's flat out mean.' Her eyes narrowed on me.

"What is that, did you steal it?" Everyone's eyes turned to me.

"No! I met a man his name is Obadiah Stane and he worked with Howard Stark and he gifted me this." I said defensively, to my surprise her eyes honed in on the tube in my back clear with jealousy and hate.

After everyone walked inside the orphanage it was already six in the afternoon which meant that everyone should take a shower and be ready for dinner. I was smiling wide feeling immense happiness.

"Cindy, I take it you had fun." The matron asked as she noticed I walked inside.

"YES! It was amazing! And they gave me this! It's a gift, he also said when I grow up I could work on Stark Industries." I showed her the blueprint and the card he gave me which had the signature and recommendation for SI.

"That's really good for you kid! I'm happy..." With that she walked into the kitchen where the table was empty. I walked behind her; she wants to see the blueprint. I walked behind her and opened the tube and extended it on the table. I memorized it as the familiar light illuminated the entire thing, every pencil stroke, notes and every detail I memorized it immediately.

"It's beautiful." I said without thinking looking at the details of the reactor. I began muttering calculations knowing I could make a small one but it would take me around 2 or 3 years, I began running through memories of things that I could get and where could I find them.

"..dy... indy... Cindy!" A snap of fingers in my face broke me out of my stupor.

"Sorry, I wasn't listening." I said in shame.

"It's alright, you can keep it, but why do you think it's beautiful?" She asked clearly confused as to why.

"Because of the energy it produces, this produces-" She placed a hand in front of me.

"I won't understand, you're smart but you need to stay focused. We don't have resources to be making this types of things."

"You won’t have to, I will make sure everything is free." She sighed in annoyance.

"Fine, but you have to keep that thing safe it's yours and you should keep it close to you like the rest of your things."

"Yes! I will thanks matron!" I said as I folded the blueprint carefully and stored it in the tube/canister thing.

A few days later I was reading a book on advanced electronics that was for college students which I found in the library. It's a boring read, but it did gave me a certain insight in how the reactor could work as well as how science is in this era. I could figure it out, if I had the materials to build it. I also learned to never leave my blueprints without me watching them or under lock. Also I only look at them when I am sure no one else can do anything bad to them. Right now I'm using my head while I keep the tube under lock that has a trunk with all my clothes.

"Hello freak." Molly’s voice came from behind me, making me flinch.

"What is that blue thing you had in your trunk? Is it an alien phone, are you trying to talk to your freaky alien parents? They don't want you; you're too ugly that’s why people don't want to adopt you." I could only groan I could answer her and be done with it, but she's a kid. She's hurting and lashing out at the world.

"Maybe she's an alien and her parents left her here, that’s why she's so smart, she's just an alien." Ellie added behind Molly.

"I heard the blue thing are messages." Another one added, all those things were so... stupid... but kids are kids, they're mean for no reason and follow a leader.

"Are you even listening alien freak?" Molly placed herself in front of me while pulling the edges of her eyes to make them look Asian, like my eyes.

"Yes, but I'm not paying attention to you, it shows that everyone here, including you, are an insult to intelligence." I said in a cold tone to get them to get out of my face and return to my book. But to my surprise she slammed the book I had out of my hands falling to the floor and I tried to pick it up I got pushed back into the couch.

"Electramaganic fields and iradation. What is this? More things you alien freak like?" Clearly Molly has beef with me, yet I don't know why.

"Electromagnetic fields and irradiation on electrical impulses, it's a book more complicated than what you will ever read. Go back to bothering someone else." I said as I picked up the book from her, as I stood up I got a pushed to the ground which made a lot of kids cheer on. She glared at me with hate in her eyes, got up and shoved me and ended up with me in the ground. I stood my ground not caring for the shove, standing up and taking the book with me I made my way out.

"You scared... freak?" I stopped for a second considering if it was worth punching a kid, but fought against the urge. I kept walking.

"Chicken!" Molly yelled.

"Alien chicken!" Others chimed in.

"No, even better! She's a freaky alien chicken!" Molly said as the others followed, the chants began, I felt tears in my eyes. I began reciting the components for the arc reactor they helped me calm down and look on the bright side, the chants became background noise as I walked away. They gave me hope that one day I would be out of this hellhole.  I wasn't expecting a horrible thing to happen to me, or how I would face a greater loss in my life.

 

138