Chapter 25
989 4 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing on top of the nearest building across from me is what makes me nervous, I'm meant to make an appearance. I can't help but be absolutely nervous. Fury, Clint and Bruce are beside me. Looking over the area as President Matthew Ellis gives a small speech as he's surrounded by the press. When he says about the plans of reconstruction of NYC.

"Kid? You ready?" I sigh loudly as Bruce groans; I exhale a nervous breath as I adjust my new mask.

"I think so? Does my new suit look good? Is it too much? I mean, I feel it’s too much, as in its skintight but-" Clint places his hand over my head and ruffles my hair.

"Chill out as you kids say, now get ready." Clint says as I swat at his hands.

"You too, Doctor Banner." Bruce sighs as he listens to Natasha, slowly he transforms, his form growing bigger and greener. I'm happy that the pants held up. Hulk turns to us; it's been a while since I last saw him. I think the house near one of the wildlife parks is almost ready so that Bruce can have a place to train as Hulk.

I gently put my palm on Hulks arm, his gaze turns to me and it’s quite intense. I try not to cower. But he gently smiles at me. "Hey, friend... Thanks, and I'm sorry." I try not to cry as guilt overwhelms me. "It’s just I was-" I'm interrupted his arm coming around me and placing me in a one armed hug. "Sorry." I hugged him as much as I could.

"I'm happy, you're still here." He said as I hugged him tighter, that seemed to be the wrong choice as he tightened his hug. I began to tap his back. "Too much! I missed you too!" I said as he let me go letting me breathe. Turning around to see everyone on edge, I smirked as I popped my back and limbered up.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be." I said with a smile on my face hidden by the mask. "Hulk ready for my signal we'll swing there so make sure to grab on!" I said as I fired two weblines at the small entrances roof and pulled until the lines tightened.

"I'm off." I said as I unstuck myself and jumped, the speed is instant as I got launched across the air, using the nearest building to grab speed and after a block and enough speed I lowered my height and with a swing  get enough height to reach the roof where Hulk jumped towards the same direction as me. Taking his wrist and him taking mine I grip tightly sticking myself to his arm and with a final webline we swing across Centre Street and Thomas Paine Park. People began cheering really loud as we swung by, I nodded towards Hulk and tossed him gently at Supreme Court building, while I fired another line the pull sent me in a loop across the building and with a couple of flips and a two finger salute at the crowd I landed beside Hulk who had landed on the place that was designated for us to appear.

"As you may have known, Bruce Banner and Hulk were fugitives of the Law for an incident that happened a few years back here in Harlem.
But now he is here defending New York City, America and the world as an Avenger. To which I grant him a presidential pardon and a welcome back, to home. To the United States of America." The president stretched out his hand at him; Hulk in turn stretched out his finger and shook it. Flashes of cameras enveloped the podium as they shook hands. Me joining in clapping as my friend is able to live here in the U.S. No more hiding for him or Bruce. "Hulk any words for the people watching at home?" He moved aside for Hulks gigantic frame to be able to speak. Hulk took a step.

"Thank you." And proceeded to grunt and took a step back as he got surrounded by kids and the first lady as well as Vice President Rodrigues and his wife as well as his daughter who is in a wheelchair but smiling in joy as she was led towards Hulk.

"On this note, I want to also extend a pardon to a woman who is an impactful figure in the world as well as empowerment for girls all over the world. Silk, I'm happy that you're back and as a member of Earths Mightiest Heroes." I nodded at him as I walked forward. "Vigilantism is a crime, as well as several others that involved police investigations." I can feel the stares as he listed crimes I did, that he is not mentioning. I cast my eyes downward. "But now it’s time to move to a better future, a safer city and a better America." He said as he extended a hand towards me. "I grant you a presidential pardon, so that you along the NYPD, NYFD and the Avengers work together to keep the city safe as well as the world."  I grabbed his hand and shook it, cameras flashed as we shook hands.

"Thank you, Mr. President, it means a lot." I said as he just smiled and we turned to the cameras as he placed me a one armed hug. After a few pictures he motioned to the podium. "Is there something you want to say?" I took a deep breath as I stepped in the podium.

"I want to say that I will be working together with the law and giving my all to help the citizens of the city that I grew up in. Thank you." I said awkwardly as I stepped off and proceeded to join Hulk who is now used as a jungle gym for kids. Walking forward to the only girl that is split off from everyone just looking. "Hi, don’t you want to join them?" I said to the girl that looks at me with wide eyes as I bend my body to be at her eye level.

"..." Her eyes are wide open as she looks nervous.

"He may look scary but he's just a big softie." I motioned with my head towards Hulk who is lifting his hands with a kid in every finger, while parents look nervous.

"... no, I can't-" Her voice is almost inaudible, but I nod as we lock eyes. "He’s... I-"

"If you want I can put you on his shoulders?" I offered as she shook her head.

"I’d prefer you..." She said with a red face, which looks really cute. Turning towards her mother who is standing a few feet away, she walks towards us.

"Silk, it’s good to meet you. You look really young."

"Well, I'm kind of eighteen at the moment..." Her eyes widened.

"I never expected that..."

"Whoa I'm 8 years behind you!" The girl says.

"Oh sorry about that, she beat cancer officially a few months ago. Her leg had to be removed, but she is now free to live her life to the fullest." Her Mom says as the girl in front of me looks a little sad.

"No way!" I gently take her hands as her eyes fall on me again. "I never thought I'd find someone stronger than me." Her expression changed to one of confusion.

"No, you can lift cars and punch through steel."

"Yes I can do that, but you young lady, are more powerful than I'll ever be. You beat an unbeatable enemy! Even I can't do that."

"... I don't know."

"Oh trust me, in a few years I may have to worry because you might take my place. I'm sorry Ma’am your daughter is superhero material, she has the power of unbeatable willpower and really strong determination." I said with a gentle smile.

"Honey, please don't join the avengers." Her mom said as the girl turned to her.

"But Mom! Silk says I have powers."

"What about becoming a dancer?" The girls’ expression became conflicted.

"Oh... right." She then turned to me. "Sorry Silk, I can't become an Avenger, I want to be a dancer... will my powers help me?" I smiled as I looked her right in the eye.

"Yes, with your powers you will be unstoppable. Never stop dreaming and working hard for your dream."

"Silk, do you have a dream?" That is a great question; I can't even answer the question of why I want to keep living.

"Yes, but it’s a super mega secret." I said as I placed a finger on my lip. Looking at Hulk who is now smiling as kids are now asking him questions while a boy sits on his head.

"Mam, is it okay if we go for a swing?" I ask aloud.

"Is it dangerous?"

"With me here, no. She won’t leave my arms." She nodded as the girl is now jumping on her wheelchair.

"What do you say? Want to take a small swing around here?" The girl nods rapidly, scooping her off her chair I begin to give her instructions. "Now, you have to wrap your arms around my neck." She obeys as she is now on a princess carry, using my power she is now stuck to me. "See now you can't remove your hands. We'll take it slow, okay?" She nods. "We'll be back in five minutes." Using the strength of my legs we jump a story high so that there is not much recoil. Holding my arm tightly around the girl we begin doing big swings, not gaining any speed at all, but slowing down and reaching that speed again. "Open your eyes, you're missing the view!" I say as she does and proceeds to gasp as we're quite high but at the same speed.

"Whoa." She says as we're now turning and taking another street, slowly she begins to scream and whoop as we make our way back.
Eventually landing again near the podium, she looks flustered but the smile on her face is earsplitting. "I knew you were my favorite superhero for a reason!" She says as she hugs me, I gently giggle as I set her down with her mom.

"Here you go, safe and sound." I said as I placed her back down, it seems like that called the attention of reporters and others alike, as soon as I turned around reporters were taking photos of me. The vice president walks towards me with a serious face. "Sir, I'm sorry I-" Instead of start a scene he extends his arm.

"Silk, thank you so much, she hasn't smiled for a while. Or looked so lively. As a parent, thank you." He said with a serious tone but a smile on his face.

"Sorry, it’s just... she... I-" I shut my mouth as he looked honest.

"I also like the new suit, it looks good, heroic." My smile seemed to be noticed.

"Thank you-"  "Kid, time to go. You're needed, police says a robbery is in progress and it looks like they have weapons from the invasion." Clint’s voice cut through my thoughts.

"What?"

"Yup, it seems like one has some sort of armor and the others have a chitauri weapon."

"That's bad."

"Yup, were moving to get them." Noticing how the secret service is moving the president as well as the Vice-president and their family. The police are moving as people seem to start getting scared. 

"How close?"

"They're 3 blocks away, police tried to stop them but they just rammed through them, we'll need the big guy for this, and try to keep them conscious. Moving to support cover fire."

"Understood, HULK!" I say as kids slowly are climbing down, walking towards him I speed up the process. "Time to save the day." I say with a smile.

"Smash?"

"Yup, looks like it." The kids look oddly excited. "Kids, I need you to take four steps back." I said as parents are grabbing some while the older kids do step back. "Thank you and stay safe and listen to your parents!" I said as I took three steps forward and jumped hulk following me, to avoid damage to the city I swing hulk with me.

In less than a minute a pick-up truck that has pieces of a Leviathan welded together make their way through the street towards the wall of police vehicles. "HULK! STOP THAT CAR SO IT DOESNT HURT ANYONE!" I said as let him down on the street, as I reach the lowest part of the swing, as it gets closer I notice how there is the guy in the armor standing on the trunk... but why does it have RPGs on its shoulders? It just looks silly like a makeshift knight with only a chest plate, arms, and pants with openings everywhere. Hulk runs at the truck, but the guy fires both RPGs at Hulk, throwing two webs mid air and proceed to throw them back by manipulating the trajectory using my weblines
and throwing it at the truck.

That doesn't do much to the truck, as it broke past the smoke. Hulk roared and as the truck collided, the guy on the back gets sent barreling through the air flailing wildly. Giving me a chance to intercept mid air kicking him down to the street gently-ish. I land shortly after. The truck is now in shambles as from the truck five people in various state of makeshift armor get down.

"You bitch, we're after the president. He's the one behind the attack; the entire government is behind this. All so you heroes can conquer the world." The guy in the "armor" says.

"Oh great, conspiracy theorist! What's next you believe the earth is flat?" I quip as he rushes at me.

"We believe in the great spirit of the sun! The earth is free and people should be-" I interrupt him by sending web at his face.

"Okay that's enough." He struggles to get web off his face, jumping and using the street to jump towards him I extend my hand and lariat him, my arm hitting his chest denting the chest plate and  sending tumbling down the road. He tries to get up but only groans. 'I guess that armor didn't do much to help against punches.' "Sorry, I thought you were durable-er" I said aloud as a person in makeshift armor ran past me screaming wildly. Only for 2 arrows to them and trap them in nets that I remember I helped Tony design.

"Wait, where's the-" The sound of a Taser being activated pulled my attention as the guys on the ground are twitching. "Right, I delayed that." Turning towards Hulk I see him holding a guy by the legs while standing gently on two people.

"NICE JOB! BUD! NO BROKEN BONES."

"I think he broke my ribs." The guy hanging upside down says which makes Hulk lift him so his face is close to his and glared at him. Which only made notice how there is a dark stain on his pants, on both sides. "Oh thank New York for having the nasty air so I don't smell that." I said as Hulk drops him since he passed out. I web up the one hand he has on his chest and cover my nose.

Police officers walk towards Hulk carefully with fear on their eyes. "It's okay; he is a hero after all."

"IM NOT DONE YOU WHORE!" The guy in the armor shouts as he rushes at me from behind, I'm preparing to counter his strike but Hulk has another idea as he just lightly punches him sending him into the street leaving him in a hole. This time he's out.

"Get him out that armor for god’s sake!" A police captain says as officers start doing that. While others began to round up the rest, taking a look at the truck it’s just the same.

"WHOA, this is ingenious." I said as I'm glancing around the truck. I want to see how they modified the motor.

"Is this a professional work?"

"Oh, this! Nope, it’s held by gum, duct tape, dreams and way too much welding. This thing won’t make it to the pound in a tow truck." I say as I turn to the police commissioner who asked me the previous question. Wait isn't he supposed to be with the president.

"I was a police officer, working with the avengers is a once in a lifetime."

"Come on commissioner, we're going to see each other from time to time." I grinned as he sighed.

"Make sure to learn as much as you can." He says as he turns to others, looking around I notice that the streets are flashing with cameras.

"Hulk!" I call his attention as he is now taking pictures with police officers; he turns to me as I wave at him. "TIME TO GO!" I say as I begin to run towards the open road he follows and with a leap we're making our way towards the Quintet that is hovering above a few streets. With precision we're now in the jet.

"Thank you, I had fun."

"See, it wasn't so bad. It was also good to see you again." I said to him as he just nodded and ever so slowly Bruce came back.

"That never gets easy." He says as he is sweating and takes a seat groaning.

"Clint! That was a nice shot, how far?"

"200 feet, not my hardest, absolutely doable." He said with pride as I lied back on my seat as we made our way back to Avengers Tower.

42