Chapter 19.5 – Karine’s Confession
1.4k 6 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first extra chapter in a while, meaning it's not "required reading" to follow the main story. This is from Karine's point of view. The illustration in the middle is Karine in the front and Flore behind her. I commissioned Raika Am on Pixiv for it! She is also on Skeb.

What a busy day this has been!

I sit in the backroom with the documents I thought were lost for good in front of me. Lazing around, as it were. I find them to be really inspiring. Inspiring and a bit frightening. To think that this is what my family’s known for. It must’ve been a shock to find out they weren’t allowed to keep doing what they’d been doing for generations. Just because they misplaced some pieces of paper. Typical.

It just isn’t right. Someone in a high place must’ve really had it out for us. You’d think that they had copies of the license in the archives. Or could’ve just reissued it given the circumstances. But no. That brought the “legendary” Strophie family’s staff-making to an end. Just for someone to accidentally stumble on the papers and bring them to me, without even knowing what they were for. I bet I could’ve reduced the reward, too!

I can’t believe it’s only been two weeks!

I was afraid I’d break or damage something while working on those mechanical arms. Thankfully that didn’t come to pass. Really gave me a confidence boost. Thanks, Dad. All that time you spent teaching me the art of staff-making as a hobby is paying off. This jump from an enthusiast to an aspiring professional hasn’t been as big of a deal as I thought it’d be!

It’s good that no one else got their hands on these papers, though. It would’ve been devastating if our family secrets had been stolen. Doesn’t seem like Dad privy to all of the more advanced techniques explained in these documents. Still, he knew a good bunch of them! And then he passed them down to me. Unless he decided to not teach me everything or something. But why would he do that? I’m supposed to be his successor. I guess it’s possible he wanted to have something left to teach me when I get back home...

I push my back against the back of the chair and stare at the ceiling.

How am I going to tell Flore about my… Epiphany? She’s been with me for years without so much as a peep about her loving me or anything. I just always thought she was a really good friend. Always there for me. She even came with me to this backwater after I complained how I’d be lonely and bored. I was so happy. Happier than I had any right to be. Just knowing she’d be here with me made the thought less painful.

That Irene sure gave me something to think about. Just tell her? I mean, that’s an option. I had already given it some thought but it feels a bit… I don’t know. Not the most romantic thing to do? But how could I make it romantic with her, of all people? She’s never been that much into romance. Or that’s what I’ve thought. It took me this long to realize she has feelings for me. Who knows what else I’ve missed?

I lower my gaze back to the table. The documents, while old, are really well preserved, especially given where they were all this time. I’ve recast the enchantments on them so they’re pretty durable now, too. I should probably send them home soon. I’ve already written a lot of notes!

Sigh.

I wonder how my family’s going to react. Or hers for that matter. She wasn’t at the best of terms with them before, either. She’s never been the picture of a noblewoman. She always struck me more as a gallant knight than a dainty noble. Even when we were children, she refused to wear the usual dresses you saw noble girls her age wearing. In my family we just always wore robes. Comes with the territory with being a family of mages.

My extended family might get angry but I know my parents probably won’t object. Even as Dad’s successor I’m not their only chance at grandchildren. They’ve never tried pressuring me into finding a husband and starting a family.

Actually, isn’t that unusual? Did they know before I did?!

... Okay. Time to stop daydreaming.

I stand up and gather the papers back together.

Yes, having these documents here at the shop is starting to give me anxiety. The sooner I can send them back home the better. Not having to hide them in this wall safe anymore is going to be great for my nerves.

With the documents now in the safe, I close it and activate the rune stone in the middle of it. Within moments, the wall safe looks exactly like the wall it’s attached to.

Perfect.

Still so much to do!

-*-*-*-*-*-

Ugh.

I’ve had plenty of chances to tell her today and yet I haven’t! Why am I such a coward? She must’ve noticed something’s up by now, too! Okay. Sure. She hasn’t been very forthcoming herself but that doesn’t mean I have to be like that myself. I don’t like leaving things linger like this. She’s probably resigned herself to the fate of a best friend years ago. I’ll have to be the one to break the status quo.

As for now.

The store’s been closed for the evening and I find myself making potions on the counter. Need to restock on fatigue potions! They’re really popular among the farmers. Always have been.

Slow steps coming from the second floor. Now on the stairs. I guess Flore’s coming down?

Yes, that’s exactly what she’s doing.

She stops for a moment once she reaches the bottom of the steps. She stretches and yawns. “I’m done with work for today!”

She looks around for a second and starts walking towards the way behind the counter as she notices I’m there. Like she always does.

“Good work! I just need to do this one last thing.”

She embraces me from behind, lowering her head beside mine. Like she always does.

Karine and Flore

“What’re you up to, Karine?”

Her voice is so gentle. Like it always has been.

“”Oh, the usual. We’re running low on fatigue potions again.”

“Why do you insist on calling them that? I’m pretty sure they’re usually called stamina potions.”

I snort. “They reduce fatigue. You can’t feel or see stamina. I don’t care what some snooty outworlder called them generations ago.”

She giggles. “That’s so like you.”

I remember when she did this the first time. It felt a bit strange but I didn’t think too much about it. In hindsight, I don’t think I’ve ever seen her do this with anyone else.

“Is something wrong? You’ve seemed a bit out of it today.”

I knew it, she’s noticed!

“No, nothing’s wrong. I just have a lot of things on my mind. You know how it is.”

“Right. I get it. It’s only been a couple of weeks since your family heirloom was just suddenly brought back from that tomb. Doesn’t feel quite real yet, does it?”

“It’s not just that. Father sent me a message telling me to hold onto them until I’m done writing my own notes on them. Keeping them here is stressful.”

“Why?”

“Well, you know. We can’t resume making staves without the license. For my family that’s kind of a big deal.”

“Ah. Right. I completely forgot. The highest quality ones in circulation were made by your family. But their numbers are dwindling.”

“Yes, and we haven’t even been making more for, what, like half a century now?”

“It’s made the remaining ones really expensive. They’ve become something of a collectors’ item.”

“See? That’s exactly why I’m worried.” I sigh. “What if someone who’s put a lot of money in the staves finds out that we’re going to start making more?”

“”It’s not like they’d lose their value overnight,” she says with a particularly soothing voice, “They’d still be classic staves with historical value.”

“I know. I know. But historical value isn’t the same as the staff’s value in gold. I’m worried someone’s going to do something hasty.”

After a longer silence than I expected, she says, “You haven’t been outside today, have you?”

What a weird question.

“Not beyond the yard, why?”

“Oh, just asking.”

“You’re going to have to explain why you asked.”

“Later. It’s nothing that can’t wait for dinner.”

“Alright. I’m done, by the way.”

Am I still going to just let this go on?

Flore releases me from her embrace and stretches again. “I should go start making dinner! It’s my turn today.”

No. I’m not!

I stand up and turn towards her and push the stool I had been sitting on away with my foot.

“Flore, I need to tell you something.”

“Eh? Was something wrong after all?”

“No,” I say, shaking my head, “Everything’s fine.”

I grab her hands. She looks surprised. Wow, this must be a lot more out of character for me than I thought!

“I’m sorry it’s taken me this long. I just didn’t realize it.”

“What… What are you talking about?”

She’s blushing a little. I can’t stop now. Courage, don’t leave me!

“I can’t imagine life without you.”

“You don’t have to, we’re friends…?”

She’s still wriggling. Is she trying to give me a way out? I don’t want one!

“That’s not what I mean. I don’t want us to be ‘just friends.’”

Is that a tear? Am I making her cry?

“I don’t know when it happened but I’ve fallen for you. I want to share my life with you in more ways than we’re right now.”

Oh no. She’s starting to tear up!

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you cry!”

She shakes her head. “You’re not! I’m just…”

She moves our hands to the sides, she steps closer, leans in closing her eyes, and…

She kisses me.

My eyes widen and I blush.

My first kiss is with Flore. As… As I wanted? How long have I longed for this?

I close my eyes. Is it supposed to feel this nice?

Then, all of a sudden, she stops, leaving me longing for more, and whispers in my ear.

“I thought you’d never notice.”

80