Epilogue (Part 2)
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had travelled Arden and beyond by just about every method imaginable: camel, dog-sled, interdimensional rift. Yet somehow this was my first journey by boat.

Zerinn was a beautiful island nation divided into many small landmasses. The Zerinnese Empress led the clans and none ever dared undermine her power - openly. In truth, Zerinn had spent so much time dealing with a complicated history of political intrigue and power struggles between its clans that they had little patience left over to deal with outsiders. Most nations were wise enough to avoid drawing Zerinn’s ire, because when every clan united against a common enemy, even an empire as dominant as Aldmoor struggled to stand against them.

We drew the occasional raised eyebrow from people as we passed, but otherwise the Zerinnese were quite polite as we tried to find our way to Zyturak’s residence.

We actually made good time and by noon we came upon a modest dwelling with sliding paper doors situated beside a larger, communal building. 

Maeve: “This should be the place. Man, I feel kinda guilty about our hilariously over-sized house now…”

Seth: “That’s the culture shock talking. Come on, let’s check it out!”

We couldn’t knock, so after a moment we slid the little door open and peered inside.

Maeve: “Anyone home?”

There was no answer, but straining our ears for one allowed us to pick up on deep, guttural chanting coming from the larger building.

Maeve: “No… don’t tell me Zy’s starting a cult now!”

Seth: “Looks like we’re coming out of retirement!”

Laughing, we raced each other to the larger building. Before we reached the larger screen door it slid open and there was Zyturak, looking just the same as ever. He pulled us both into an embrace, joyful tears actually running down his face. Maeve and I looked at each other in great surprise. We had never seen him wear his emotions on his sleeve like this before.

Seth: “Is everything alright, Zy?”

Zyturak: “Yes, yes, I just need a moment…”

He let us go and took a few steps back, examining both of our faces. We could still hear chanting from farther in the building - the paper walls did little to stifle it.

Zyturak: “You both look well. I see you’ve been keeping busy and that your work has agreed with you!”

His smile told us he knew exactly what the nature of that work was.

Seth: “It did, but we’re certainly glad to be finished.”

Maeve: “Yeah, getting a whole week off with lover boy here was sheer paradise. But hey, what’s with the tears, Zy? I’m all for healthy expression, but since when did you subscribe to that school of thought?”

Zyturak: “Ah, actually, I now lead that school of thought. Some time after we went our separate ways I returned here to my homeland. I’m no soldier, but I thought to heal the wounds of war in my own way, and this is the result.”

He gestured behind him. A number of people were kneeled inside, clearly in deep concentration as they chanted in sync.

Seth: “We were joking about you forming a cult, but this is actually some kind of empathic school, isn’t it?”

Zyturak: “Intuitive as ever, I see. Indeed, my aim is to teach those who are receptive that it is love that will usher us forward and sustain us through adversity. It is a difficult lesson, but that my empathic techniques are passed on along the way certainly helps them stick with it.”

Maeve: “That’s totally badass. Here you are all these years later, still fighting against The Architect’s plans. He must be rolling in his grave, wherever he is.”

Seth: “I’m impressed, Zy! You’re really going to connect people together with this.”

The chanting stopped and the students bowed to their teacher one by one as they left for the day. The silence didn’t last long though, because then I heard a most familiar sound…

Wolfgang: “Ha ha ha!! Speaking of making a difference, even in Ptarmigan we have heard rumours of the inexorable cult slayers! Who else could that be but the two of you!”

Wolfgang and Xenna approached from the road... Zyturak must have invited them too! 

Xenna: “I can’t believe the two of you are here as well! Seeing you all again, it…”

She shook away her tears and smiled wide.

Xenna: “It's just really great. Congratulations, Seth and Maeve, for actually managing to put an end to the cults once and for all. You did in three years what the Yreth priests hadn’t managed in centuries.”

Maeve: “Well, it takes one to know one I guess. Knowing how they operate definitely gave us the jump on ‘em.”

Wolfgang: “Good riddance, I say! There’s been enough strife among nations without their lunacy to add to it!”

Zyturak: “Please come in, my friends. I’ll host you here in the school, as my house isn’t much suitable for entertaining guests.”

He led us to a long wooden table. As we got situated, he put on a pot of tea.

Xenna: “Ah, thanks for inviting us Zyturak, and congratulations to you as well on the success of your school. Why, I think I myself should like to enroll someday! Learning just what it is you’re doing with aether to see into the mind would-”

Zyturak: “Denied.”

Xenna: Wh- what!?”

Zyturak: “I am sorry, Xenna. But I accept only those who wish to truly understand the hearts and minds of others ahead of every other desire. The scholarly approach that you want to take is simply incompatible with my method. I do hope you can forgive me.”

Xenna: “I can’t say I completely understand your point of view, but I will accept it. It’s probably for the best, anyways, I wouldn’t want to burn myself out!”

Wolfgang: “Yes, Xenna has been hard at work on a project of her own. Don’t be shy, dear, tell them!”

Xenna: “Oh, um… I’ve started my next series of published works entitled Ptarmigan - Ancient Wisdom for Modern Times. Ptarmigan’s elders are such a wealth of knowledge, and there is so much that even we scholars can learn from them! From the unique way they channel aether through the cycles of nature to the minimal environmental impact their way of life has... I would love for the other nations of the world to better understand and respect this incredible place!”

Zyturak: “Ah, the world could certainly use a breath of fresh, frosty air. Cultural exchange is rather similar to what I’m trying to do here, only scaled up... I may have misjudged you, Xenna. Perhaps you’d succeed here after all.”

Xenna blushed at the praise, but she maintained eye contact. It was nice to see her more confident than ever before.

Maeve: “So what about you, Wolfie? Don’t tell me you’re the only one lazing about!”

Wolfgang sheepishly placed a hand on the back of his neck.

Wolfgang: “Well, nothing so remarkable as all of you… I was merely made elder.”

Seth: “What? That’s amazing, Wolfgang! And you’re so much younger than the others, too! They must have realized how capable you are.”

Xenna: “He surprises me every day! With his insight the council has been more willing to understand the perspectives of other nations, and a few opportunities have come their way that wouldn’t have been possible otherwise.”

Wolfgang: “Of course, we do not accept every practice of the outside world, but there are definitely mutual trade deals and political alliances that we can benefit from. A few outsiders have even come to live among us, like Xenna has. Watching our tribe grow with the blessings of foreign soil has been quite the positive experience for all of us.”

Zyturak: “I’m so overjoyed that every one of you has found happiness and success... Get in here, all of you!”

Chuckling, we stood up, and he pulled us into a heartfelt group hug. Zyturak was in tears again.

Wolfgang: “Zyturak? What’s wrong?”

Maeve: “Don’t worry, Wolfie. He’s just practicing what he preaches.”

Xenna: “I’m glad to hear it, but this is quite the adjustment! Zyturak, where have you been hiding your passion all this time?”

Zyturak: “This is hard to say, but there was a dangerous part of me that I lived in fear of, once. I learned to bury it deep, deep down, but after all we’ve done together, my teaching, and a lot of soul-searching, I’ve learned to overcome that fear, and I can be true to myself once more. I hope you will not think less of me for hiding this from you…”

Maeve: “Honestly, I’m still reeling from you saying ‘me’ and ‘dangerous’ in the same sentence! Can you tell us what you mean?”

Zyturak smiled mysteriously.

Zyturak: “Perhaps another time.”

He served our tea with biscuits, and we continued to share our lives and aspirations with one another. Zyturak’s new outbursts took some getting used to, but they were quite endearing. Wolfgang was full of energy as always, and I never knew how much I missed that laugh of his. Xenna asked my opinion on many of her ongoing research papers. I wasn’t as current on the subjects as her but I found the conversation quite stimulating, and she seemed to appreciate my input nonetheless. 

Maeve locked eyes with me from across the table and my heart caught in my throat as she smiled at me. I realized all over again how lucky I was that this was the woman I was going to spend the rest of my life with.

I got everyone’s attention and proposed a toast.

Seth: “I’m so grateful that we could get together like this today, and I’d like to propose that we all meet up again soon - Yreth knows we have the space for it at our place in Aldmoor now!”

Wolfgang: “Maeve’s old stomping ground, isn’t it? That would be a sight to see!”

Xenna: “We’d love to make a habit of this! Wolfgang never stops talking about you guys-”

Wolfgang went red.

Wolfgang: “Xenna! They don’t need to know that!”

We couldn’t help but laugh.

Zyturak: “Aldmoor is right between Zerinn and Ptarmigan - it’s the perfect meeting place. I can’t wait to see your comically large abode.”

Maeve: “Woah Zy, was that a diss? This new you is going to take some getting used to-!”

I closed my eyes contentedly, their voices fading to a pleasant buzz. For the briefest of moments I could see ten smiling faces, and all at once I recognized a certain comforting weight to my soul. I smiled back at them.

This life that I’ve chosen to live… In lieu of your own, I hope it will be good enough.

I know it's more than good enough for me.

 

If I were to write another route, who should be first?
  • Maxentius Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xenna Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orchid Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wolfgang Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alsatia Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zyturak Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sai Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
1