Chapter 10 – The Frame
377 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was feeling pretty good, and since I have to have my feet up to reduce swelling from the new job, I worked to get this chapter ready early.  The next one may be ready tomorrow, but I can't guarantee it.

September, 2015

"Final tests of the frame are completed." Tandy said quietly. "All functions are not only compatible with human anatomy, but also allows for an incredible increase in strength, speed, and durability."

"I intend for the organs to be encapsulated within the frame's torso, and fully armored, just in case of catastrophic damage. Blood supplies to the limbs, or skin, can be cut off and allow the brain to continue to function. That would allow restorative surgery to save the unit." Aya said quietly.

"You hated this that much." Tandy said. "Yeah, don't respond to that foolish statement. Of course you did. What about the girls?" She asked.

"They will remain in regenerative therapy until after the winter, and until after I am fully upgraded." Aya sighed. "I need the time to take action. Clubs need to be eliminated. Assets created, or turned. Supply chains set up, and eliminated. All of that needs strength." She rolled her eyes.

"Doctor, I'll give you control over a pet project of mine. Computer release the project file 'Remote' to the doctor." Tandy frowned as Aya gave instructions, then looked at her computer.

"Oh. You intend to use remote frames to handle some jobs, but the remote control modules are shaky, or limited in range." Tandy said as she examined the schematics.

"They have interference the further away from the controller they are. Signals get mixed with other frequencies common on this planet. I don't know if she should go with lower powered signals, higher frequency, amplitude modulation, frequency modulation, or something else." Aya sighed.

"I think I can understand the concern. Can a unit be fitted with a communications chip?" Tandy asked.

"Those are for human brains." Aya frowned. "No, they are meant for communication only. If installed within an interface, and control module, the communication chip can bridge the gap between our servers and the remote unit."

"Also, a single unit can act as the booster for multiple units. A set of programmed responses and actions until you take direct control. We will still need to ascertain and develop a new carrier signal though. If we use something that the outside world uses now, it could get hijacked, blocked, or hacked."

"Agreed. Doctor, please study the schematics thoroughly. Even if I could remain awake, I still think you should do the surgery. My perception could become distorted while undergoing the surgery." Tandy smiled.

"I'm glad you finally admit to that. I thought I would have to argue with you a bit longer." Tandy sighed. "Get some sleep, baby. I'll study. When will the frame be ready for installation?"

"A week. It's built, but undergoing final balance and expansion tests. My skeletal structure is still young. It will need to expand to simulate the next few years of growth." Aya yawned. "I seem to want to spend more time in the construct now. I wonder if I spent far too much time awake, and not sleeping in the past." Aya laid down and immediately fell asleep.

"I think you've just relaxed finally. Oh Jill." Her monitor changed to the front desk. "How are things up there?" She watched as Jill smiled. "Enjoying the communication's chip?"

"Yes, doctor. I'm just glad she finally allowed it to be installed. The way I'm able to respond to questions, and to Danica when she makes a request is extremely efficient. You'll notice that my lips are not moving." Tandy took a closer look.

"I see that now. When are you off? I need a bit of a pick me up." Jill licked her lips.

"In a few hours. I'll come by and let you ogle the goods for a bit then. I can hear the boss rummaging around in the server, so I know she's asleep. Don't forget to go into sleep mode yourself, Tandy. She needs you alert during surgery." Jill said through the chip. Tandy smiled.

"Then wake me up when you go off shift, Jill. I'll engage sleep mode now, and be ready for a little joy in my life." Tandy closed the screen. "Computer, initiate sleep mode, and set the alarm for when Jill enters." Tandy closed her eyes, at which point Jill smiled.

"She's asleep, boss. Mm, gently, boss. That's my mind you're searching, not a database."

 

* * *

 

Late September, 2015

"Doctor, you'll need to turn off the pain receptors, and begin at the spinal column. According to the system, she's offline, and ready to go into stasis, so it should be safe to begin." Jill said quietly.

"I never thought I would have to do this again so quickly. Alright, accessing her dataport, turning off her pain receptors through the uplink in the communications chip, and beginning IV drip for stasis coma." Tandy watched the monitors.

"I still owe you for not waking me up for twelve hours, Jill." Tandy said softly.

"You needed the sleep, doctor, and she needed you fully rested. Aya is in stasis. You may proceed when ready, doctor." Jill took a deep breath.

"I know, Jill. She's precious to me too. The frame is here, wrapped, disinfected, and ready to go. Beginning the first incision, and turning on cell salvage machines. Blood loss will be minimal." Using the precise equipment, Tandy made precision cuts in Aya's skin, and ran the knife along the vertebrae, from the bottom of the C2 axis, right down to the coccyx tip.

As efficiently as any operation has ever gone, and even more so, multiple arms were manipulated to hold back her skin, cut away muscle, and remove the bone without damaging the cord underneath. Even though the sciatic nerve was considered a problematic area, eventually the cord would be replaced with fibers. For now, she had to carefully preserve the area, until the entire skeleton was installed.

Once it was installed, the nerve bundles would be replaced, as they would be unnecessary. There would be no muscles to move. There would be actuators, fiber optic cables to carry signals, and lines for power.

Within an hour, the bone was removed, and another hour passed when all the replacement cervical modules were put in place. Each nerve bundle would be removed as new parts of the skeleton were installed.

As Tandy worked incredibly fast, Danica and Jill watched the monitors.

"Does she know she's already been enhanced?" Danica whispered.

"No. Her processing speed has increased, and her focus as well. The only reason she hasn't caught on yet is because Aya allowed her to get used to the increases by helping with the other operations." Jill sighed.

"It was necessary. Without the enhancement, she would never have achieved cognitive function again. Each time Aya makes another upgrade, she shares it with her. When she's confident enough, Aya will fix her completely. She won't be a vat baby forever." Danica said firmly.

"I hope you're right. This must be hard on her. Seeing yourself cut out the bones of your partner, and replacing them with a synthetic skeleton, can't be easy." Jill said.

"Easy, no. Arousing? To the doctor, probably. She's upgrading her partner with a skeletal structure she'll get herself. They will be equal." She sighed, and shook her head.

Cuts down the backs of Aya's legs, machines to hold her skin open, saws to remove the bone, scalpels to remove the muscles, nerves, and ligaments. Blood vessels carefully preserved the entire way. New tubes to carry her blood into the skin. Silicon lined channels to protect them. Titanium alloy skeleton slowly installed, fiber optic nerves installed within other protected channels, power lines run. Porous tubes filled with marrow. Blood supply connected. Medical grade silicon and plastic based covering to ensure skin does not get irritated by the metal interior, to simulate muscle for the skin to stick and heal to.

Bandage wraps engaged after the limbs are sewn up. Fluid drains installed, and attached to cell salvage pumps.

"Lower body complete. No sign of rejection." Tandy said softly.

"Doctor. This is Jill. Aya said you need to take regular breaks. The system can keep her in stasis like this for several days before you need to complete the surgeries. You should engage sleep mode for four hours to regain your focus." Tandy sighed.

"Agreed. Computer, monitor the patient. Set an alarm should readings head into any of the danger zones. Engage sleep mode, and set for a wake up time of four hours."

"Sleep well, doctor." Danica whispered. "You did an amazing job."

 

16