Chapter 19 – Choices
375 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"There is. To get further enhanced, you must have the processing chip, then the communication chip online, and download the loyalty programs." Aya said. "There are a series of programs now available on our system. Loyalty enhancement, combat programs, weapons programs." Leen perked up.

"Combat and weapons?"

"Combat, including basic, intermediate, and advanced combat styles, such as karate, military hand to hand, jujitsu, muay thai and traditional Chinese boxing, which includes hand to hand and kick boxing styles traditionally knows as kung fu." Aya smirked. "Don't believe the bullshit that says mixed martial arts is the best. It's arrogance. A martial artist needs to examine everything they are taught, practice, and use the appropriate moves and techniques without being bound to a strict discipline." Mer frowned.

"Isn't that what some guys say they do?"

"On the surface. If you listen close, it's mostly about proving the superiority of one over another. Muay Thai due to its prominent visuals for striking, jujitsu due to how it controls an opponent, Roman Greco wrestling for its ground attack strength. However, properly used, many martial arts can overcome the strengths of those arts. It all depends on the artist, the speed, and strength of your opponent, and your ability to adapt. I won't crawl into a murky debate over it. The communications chip will allow you to access a space, a training room within your minds, and practice all the martial arts you learn through the programs. You can enter the space with your club members, practice, and still be asleep. You won't lose the rest your body needs, but you will gain valuable hours of training." Everyone listened carefully.

"Will we be able to do what you just did?" Leen asked. To have that kind of strength would be a real asset. It would also help them protect themselves.

"If you decide to engage the chips, download the loyalty programs, you can also ask to be upgraded, like I am. It's a full titanium alloy based skeletal upgrade, with quick response, high powered actuators. Your skulls will be replaced with an armored version so you can take a bat to the head and survive. You may still get a concussion from the impact, but you'll heal faster. It's a side effect of the interface, and the brain's ability to help the body heal." Aya went silent and waited.

"Can we have time to consider this?" Mer asked.

"I only came here to explain it out fully. From now on, the ball is in your court. You will still need time to fully adapt to the chips once brought online, so make sure you're not in the midst of a job when it happens. It is also recommended that you have the basic chips engaged before I upgrade them. Your brains need to adapt to the increase in processing ability, and information availability. Right now, each of you are outfitted, and ready to have them engaged. Once engaged, a full month must pass before we upgrade. There is no rush for an answer. Just tell Mer you want to have your chips engaged, and she'll make the call." Aya disappeared as quickly as she came, and left them alone with their thoughts.

"Mer?" Leen asked, but Mer shook her head.

"I won't tell you what I'm going to do. This is an important decision you have to make and choose carefully. Discuss it, think about it, sleep on it. Take it seriously, and when you decide, I will let the boss know."

 

* * *

 

"I'm not surprised." Mer said as she saw Leen at her door within the hour. Behind her, Brit, Lina, and Jana also waited.

"Kata, Rem, and Corrie said they want to as well, but they want to think the whole night through. I made up my mind about the benefits already, especially when I learned that my current ability is tied to that interface she installed." Leen said quietly, more subdued then Mer expected her to be.

"You're not upset about the violation?" Mer asked. Leen grimaced.

"I'd be a liar if I said I was perfectly fine with it, but the results speak for themselves. We have a home. I'm stronger then I've ever been. I have an opportunity that I would never get otherwise. That interface was forced on me, and I fucking love the results!" She said with a large grin.

"And the rest of you are fine with it?" Mer asked.

"We are." Those words were echoed, but then they heard the rest.

"Hey! We wanted to wait for the morning, but if you're all going to do it now, we won't wait either!" Mer smirked at Corrie. She was not normally so calm, so when she was one of the ones who wanted to wait, it was a little surprising, but not so much either. She might have reacted strongly to being forced to have the upgrade without her permission.

"The boss already anticipated that you may wish to have your chips engaged. Half of us will go to the Revenant, and have them turned on. The system will monitor us while they are powered up, and turn them off again in case of an emergency. The other half will go tomorrow at first light." Mer smiled, and shivered.

She couldn't wait to jack into the others, and practice martial arts while they slept.

 

* * *

 

Mer felt uncomfortable as she approached the main entrance to the hotel, but no one gave her a second look. The hotel itself didn't have fancy porters. The entrance was a set of double doors, all reinforced and bulletproof. These opened into a lobby with a second set, to ensure unwelcome people didn't directly enter the hotel. Once her group entered, they were immediately buzzed through the second set.

"It seems a little lax here." Leen said.

"On the contrary." They turned quickly as a woman approached them. "The security system identified you as employees as you have active interfaces." The woman smiled. "I'm Danica, one of the hotel's front line staff."

"Mer."

"I know. The boss already cleared you for entry. Go to the back over there." She indicated a hall. "That will take you to the elevator that will take you to the lab. She is expecting you." Mer nodded and walked away with her group. Danica shivered a little.

"You girls are really going to enjoy this."

 

* * *

 

"Identification, Mer, President of Club One. Leen, Vice President. Kata, Member. Rem. Member. Enter the elevator. It will take you to the lab." Mer looked at her girls and they entered.

"Not lax in the least." Leen said softly. "Wow, appearances can deceive, can't they?"

"Yeah." Mer remained somewhat quiet, and that didn't change when the doors opened onto a pristine white environment. There were several doors leading to medically equipped rooms, with hospital beds for recovery.

"This way, ladies." Another woman appeared. "I am Jill. The boss is waiting for you." She guided them along the hall, and into a more comfortable room, with a few more colors, and a comfortable couch. There was also a cot that looked comfortable enough to sleep on in the corner. They saw several computer screens, some robotic arms, banks of flashing lights, and finally the one they came to see. She didn't have a mask on.

"Holy shit, Mer, she's younger then us!" Leen said, completely shocked by the youthful appearance in front of her. Aya walked over, and smiled.

"Yes, I am younger then you." The voice was all too familiar. "Doctor, scan the ladies. Make sure things are as they should be."

"You do that every time." A voice said from the wall. "Fine. Scanning. All interfaces are online, chips offline. Testing. Fully functional, and ready to boot up."

"Why is her voice so familiar?" Mer said in a soft voice.

"Because." The voice said gently. "I helped the boss to do the surgeries, and watch over you while you recovered. My name is Tandy." A curtain opened and revealed the vat. "Unlike yourself, I needed the interface to live."

"What. In. The. Actual. Fuck." Mer said it for everyone. As that dismembered figure in the vat smiled a little, they realized that she could see, and hear them perfectly fine.

"A bullet from an enemy can take away your choices." Tandy said softly. "You have a choice. What will it be?"

 

19