Chapter 19: Just a Dream
788 1 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

"You're so small and girly, I wonder if you have a thing down there!"(boy)

"And I haven't seen anyone as weak as you!"(other boy)

It was happening again.

They were laughing before pushing me to the brick wall. I saw their faces, wrinkling into a smile as a tear went down my eye.

I don't know why it was happening, was it because of my name? Or was it how I looked. Maybe I did something to hurt them...

"I- I'm sorry for what I did..."(Reiko)

Those two stopped for a moment, their faces blank, before a giant smirk stretched across their faces. They began laughing, as if they heard the funniest thing ever. 

"You're such an idiot, girly boy."(boy)

He said in between laughs.

"It's getting late, so we'll see you later."(other boy)

They left, leaving me alone, it was fine, since I was only a little bruised this time. I don't really understand...

It has been like this since I joined elementary school... maybe I should start doing sports, or maybe I should start getting 100% on tests. Yeah, I can probably get friends like that.

Oh, it's seems like it's already getting late, I should go home and meet Kana, how old should she be by now? Three? Yeah she should be, her birthday was only a few day ago after all.


"Hey, don't you think that Ketsui, is like a bit weird?"(student)

"I know right, like he never talks to anyone, probably spending all his time studying or something..."(other student)

"Yeah probably, like he- oh wait stop, he's coming."(student)

I heard the murmurs of my classmates as I went to my seat, to the right side of the class. I was actually in a good mood today, well why wouldn't I be? It's my favourite sister's 11th birthday after all. I can't wait to see her smile when I bring her her cake. 

A smile crept on my face as I twiddle my thumbs. Oh yeah, I should probably call my boss that I won't be there today... I should've done it early... but I kinda forgot... Well, that doesn't matter, all that matters is that I have to get through this day!

The hands on the clock moved slowly, I waited period after period, waiting for the day to end. 

Ding Ding Dong...

The day was over. I left my school and immediately went to the bakery. There it was, packaged in small, cute cardboard box. It was Kana's favourite, chocolate cake! Actually it's not really just chocolate cake, it had a fancy European name... that I can't say... but it looks good!

I can't wait to see her little face eating this all up! 

"Oi, ain't that the, the the Reiko! Reiko weren't that ya name?"(boy)

I heard a familiar voice calling my name. He was wore our school's uniform with the buttons open. He had a grin on his face and his eyes were partially covered by the bangs of his hair. 

"All my friends are busy today and since you're here, why not play a little."(boy)

His name was Kenji. 

"Hey whatcha got in that box there?"(Kenji)

Kenji said as he grabbed the box straight out from my hands. He was looking at the decorated cake box, inspecting it. 

"Ooh, chocolate my favourite!"(Kenji)

His arm reached towards the box, opening it. 

"uhm, wait sorry but you can't have it. It's for-"(Reiko)

"Oh come one! Just one slice!"(Kenji)

"n- no, you can't..."(Reiko)

"Come on, it ain't gonna hurt no one, this can be our bonding moment ya know. We barely talk, so just one..."(Kenji)

"NO!"(Reiko)

I lunged at him trying to take the cake away from him. My body pushed against his, he lost his balance and then... and then... the cake fell. 

 There was a moment of silence, a chilling, numbing silence. 

I messed up...

I should've been more careful. But now, now I don't have anything for Kana, I don't have enough money for her...

it was her birthday, the one day she was looking for to, and I messed it all up.

I, just....

I felt something boiling inside me, it was raging uncontrollably. As if there was an alien about to burst out. 

"ko.... rei....... ko!"(Kamoume)

Huh? My hands were balled up as I turned around to see the blond haired girl. The world burned away and as if it was nothing, everything was engulfed.

The world was black. Nothing but an empty void. I heard a voice echoing and echoing until, my eyes finally opened.

 

The wind was cool, the sunlight comforting. I felt the grass lightly tickle my feet, smelling the scent of a... stew? The world had changed, and I was holding a bowl of stew.

"Reiko! Reiko! Let's go play after we eat!"(Kamoume)

Suddenly, a voice of a little girl, a familiar little girl... oh, it was Kamoume!

I remember now, I died and I got reincarnated and now I was on a carriage going to a village. But then... what was that just then? Was it a dream? Or was I losing it! I- I- was...

"Reiko? Are you gonna play?"(Kamoume)

"o- ok..."(Reiko)

I said as I stared at the meal on my hand. On it reflected a face of a girl... my face...  This is reality, that was all nothing. Yes, absolutely nothing. This is a new life, a new me, it wont be like last time. I just need to-

Wh - what?

What is that smell...? 

It's, suffocating, just like smoke. 

Ouch!

My hands, they were burning, no, the bowl was on fire! N- no, it was not just the bowl, the trees, the carriage, e- everything! Wh- what is going on, what what! 

"Hey Reiko are you doone?"(who?)

A voice was calling out to me, a voice that could hardly be called a normal voice. It was satanic, as if two separate voices were forcefully merged together. The voice sent a chill colder than the Arctic down my spine, contrasting the hot world. I cocked my head very slightly and what I saw... what I saw was, horrific. 

It could, hardly be described as human or alive. Hair was flowing upwards like fire, the eyes peered into my soul, the white, empty eyes. Its teeth was sharp, just like a knife. The body itself was crimson red, forever burning and raging. 

"K- kamoume, is that you?"(Reiko)

"R- reiko... wanna..."(who?)

At that point, everything had changed, the ground burnt and black like charcoal, the sky shrouded by with grey clouds. The thing, became a full on living flame, barely holding form. The heat coming from the creature was, unbearable, as if the sun itself was there. Sweat dried out as soon as it came, it was like being baked inside an oven.

"Plaayyyyy"(who?)

The mouth hinged open as a slurred voice came out. 

My legs froze in place, wh- what was going on!? This was real right? No it can't be, I am dreaming again. This is not a real, so calm down, this is not real... or is it? Is any of this real, I just can't I just- 

"a- AHHH!"(Reiko)

The thing, m- my arm, it was, AHHHH! 

My arm was burning, it felt like a million fire ants were biting all at the same time. I don't understand anything anymore, I just can't understand anymore. Is this hell? Am I stuck in a sort of limbo? No, wouldn't it be more realistic for it all to be a drug related hallucination. I don't know, this can't be real, it just can't be. 

The fire was growing, eating everything around me. It got closer and closer and it ate me up. 

.....

I woke up

I was drenched in my own sweat; the moon was high in the sky. Kamoume was softly snoring in the corner, sleeping... vertically? That doesn't matter. The wind was cold against my shaking hand. 

"Is this another dream? Or or was this reality. I- I...."(Reiko)

My hands moved towards my other arm and pinched it. 

"ow..."(Reiko)

I felt the pain. Meaning this was all true. It should all be true.

It was still dark, I should go to sleep. My head rested on the ground, my eyelids shut. I fidgeted, trying to find a good sleeping position, yet it never happened. 

"I guess I can't sleep..."(Reiko)

Getting up from the ground, I slowly made my way to a nearby stream. Water, I splashed some water onto my face. It was cool and wiped my face off of sweat. Everyone was asleep, there were only the chirping of crickets, well at least it should be. 

"Hyah! Hrah!"(Kite)

There were grunting noises of a Mr. Kite...

What was he doing this late into the night. You know what... better I don't find that out. 

I saw the crystal clean water in the river along with the bright moon.

ptack ptack

Suddenly my ears perked as I heard sounds of grass crunching. My head turned to see Mr. Kite, hair drenched with sweat...

Wait a minute... was my idea correct!?!?!

"Hey, kid you doing good? Rare to see you around this late."(Kite)

"a- ah I was, I couldn't sleep, so... just came here. Uhh... what are you a- also doing here Mr. Kite?"(Reiko)

"Me? I'm on watch and I got bored so I did some training."(Kite)

Ok, it was just training, he was not doing the tango

"So, is there any reason for why you couldn't sleep?"(Kite)

Mr. Kite said as he gestured me to sit next to him on a log. 

"n- nyes..."(Reiko)

Air brushed past my long hair, cool. The night was filled with silence before Mr. Kite opened his mouth and said.

"My guess would be a nightmare. Is it?"(Kite)

I waited a moment, until my head slightly moved up and down, confirming his guess.

"Heh, is that so"(Kite)

"..."(Reiko)

"... you know, I get bad dreams too. In fact, can't go a day without one. Practically a zombie!"(Kite)

"But. It really can be unhealthy, I mean I am an example right over here! So, tell me what it is, you can trust me. If you don't want to it's ok, just go tell someone you trust. Not fun living in fear."(Kite)

I felt his hand on my head as he finished his sentenced. 

Thinking about it, all of it. All those memories were, poison to me... something always stuck to me, killing me from within. I can't run from it, I can never run from it. 

"I-"(Reiko)

Goosebumps appeared all over my body. My hands jittered uncontrollably. I didn't want to think about it, why, just then why did I? 

Once again, I saw the orange flames, the hot, dangerous, blood red flames. It surrounded my body, eating it away. This was a dream? Isn't it! It can only be! 

The fire only grew and pushed Mr. Kite away. The fumes were suffocating, my vision hazy. I felt like vomiting, it was just, just that painful. My skin was burning but I couldn't let out a scream, even if I tried. 

Mr. Kite had an astonished look on his face, but it soon shifted. His eyebrows closed in, he had a small grin on his face. Eyes were focused, his face calm as a cucumber. He swiftly moved to his pocket, and pulled out a small vile. 

I felt the fire eating away at me, it felt like a thousand needles piercing my body as Mr. Kite threw the vile. It created a lavender vapour. As I inhaled it, I felt my legs numbing. I felt like I was about to pass out. 

The world silenced, my heartbeat slowed. I was sleepy...

The flames dissipated and I soon was fast asleep. 

Not my best chapter nor was it my quickest, but I tried really hard, and hope you all enjoyed it!

Spoiler

Extra words to boosten the word count to two thousand... author's block sucks... uhm, five more words... banana

[collapse]

30