Special Chapter 1: Eve of a New Year
250 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Reiko POV

Rubbing my eyes, I woke up and opened up the window where I was greeted by a cold breeze. It's been snowing for a couple weeks now, making me feel a little woozy. A little strange, it doesn't feel like a cold, maybe I contracted some sort of another world disease?

Umu... it's too tiring to even think. 

Jumping off my bed, I took off my pajamas and changed into my navy blue jacket and long black pants. 

"Good morning Reiko~"(Cheryl)

"Morning."(Reiko)

She ruffled my hair into a mess... it was already in a mess with bed hair and all... actually it's always in a mess since I don't comb it. Ignoring my thoughts I pushed the door open. Time to do some work, can't go anywhere without money after all. 

As I walked down the corridor there strangely wasn't many people. Usually full of workers or soldiers, but now, only a couple are present. 

Is there truly a virus going around!?

I held my chin like a professional detective. This a serious case that needs to be taken with utmost seriousness! 

"Ah, that's right, today should be Christmas Eve."(Cheryl)

huh?

They have Christmas here!? Wait a minute, does that mean, Christianity is thing here? 

...

"huh?"(Reiko)

Wait a minute... if there is Christianity here and on my world, does this prove that there is a god, but no, I met the goddess herself and she looks nothing like as they said he looked... but wait another minute, it was never specified what the god looked like, at least not to my knowledge...

Argh... my head hurts...

"Yes I completely forgot, well, I haven't really looked at a calendar recently, but today should be Christmas Eve!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl already thinks I am a little weird, maybe I should just get over it and ask her 'what Christmas is', that should clear some things up.

"Hey, Cheryl, what's Christmas?"(Reiko)

"Pardon?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl looked at me blankly. Black dot eyes and a triangle for a mouth. 

"you don't know Christmas."(Cheryl)

She said to me in a monotone voice.

"I-"(Cheryl)

Umu... she looks dumfounded, it probably was a dumb question, no it definitely was a dumb question. Her head rapidly twitched back and forth, her brain short circuited.

"Oh well..."(Cheryl)

Cheryl's voice cracked and deflated like a balloon. This is too awkward, mayday mayday! Abort ship! Abort ship!

"ch- cheryl it's nothing. You don't have to answer that question..."(Reiko)

The more I talked the quieter my voice got till it was nothing but a silent mutter. 

"No, no, Reiko, nothing to be ashamed of, just a little surprised that's it."(Cheryl)

Saying so she got down onto my level and cleared her voice. 

"Well, not too long ago, about a hundred years. The world was ridden with evil, but from there a formed a group of heroes and one these heroes was the 'Golden Star Witch'. She was the greatest magician of not only her generation but the many generations before and after her!"(Cheryl)

She swung her arms to the sky, I could see twinkles in her eyes as her mouth crept up to a smile, dazed in admiration. 

"She was fun loving and on the day of December 25th, she introduced a new holiday to celebrate... err... being good and kind? She wasn't very specific, but that's not the point, on the day of December 25th, she said a jolly old man named Santa Clause will come down the chimneys to give gifts to all, while we eat chicken to celebrate this joyous time of the year, the season of giving!"(Cheryl)

ah- I see, so it is different from my world... original world. But to think Santa Clause has a presence here too, makes me wonder, if he truly is an omnipotent God. 

"oh."(Reiko)

"Well, since you know what Christmas is, do you know what time it is? It's shopping time! Come, let's go and do some last minute shopping before time runs out!"(Cheryl)

There were flames in her eyes, oh, uh oh. I gotta run before I-

My legs were swinging in the air, Cheryl had a hold of me! Holding the collar of my jacket high up in the air, jacket you betrayed me!

She was moving like a bullet train past the corridor into the outside. 

The air outside was chilling. Bushes and hedges outside were decorated with glass ornament and small dolls, looking like a kaleidoscope. I haven't been outside much since it got cold, so I never really saw them. 

The streets were busy with people happily laughing and talking with each other. Wearing thick sweaters and puffy mittens it makes me jealous. I need warmth, the temperature is killing me!

Cheryl held my hand as we went to the shopping center. Quickly turning her head left and right, Cheryl's eyes gleamed as she dragged me to a clothes store.

...

cl- clothes?

I- I gotta get out of here!

I sprinted as fast as I could! Sprinting like cheetah in hunt, but it was pointless! Cheryl's grip on my arm was too strong! Dammit!

Beads of sweat ran down the side of my head, immediately freezing upon reaching the surface. All the alarms are going off, this is not good! Not good I say!

Brriiing~

My heart dropped upon hearing that sound, the ringing of the door bell.

"Oh my GAHH!!!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl squealed. Although the store itself was warm, I felt my life draining from me. As swiftly as the wind, Cheryl moved from one shirt to another. From dresses to shirts to pants, none were spared of Cheryl's excitement. 

I already feel empty.

hah...

At least Cheryl's happy.

"Reiko!"(Cheryl)

"yes?"(Reiko)

"How would this look on me?"(Cheryl)

Slowly raising my head, I saw Cheryl holding a fluffy Santa Dress. Red with white puffs, finished with a brown belt. 

"it would look good on you."(Reiko)

I said in a bored, monotone voice. Cheryl looked a little disappointed and sad at my response. 

"Ah no, I- I mean it! I- I- I'm sorry!"(Reiko)

I said bowing down to Cheryl instinctively.

"hehe."(Cheryl)

Cheryl lightly giggled. I lifted my head to look at her, a smile on her face. Bending down to my level, she patted my head.

"Why thank you."(Cheryl)

Hueeoo~

I wasn't lying, Cheryl wouldn't look too bad on many things. 

Time passed slowly, as Cheryl rummaged through more and more pieces of clothing, filling the basket more and more, till it was as big as a mountain. That's not saying much since I am also short but, it was still a large amount.

"Anything you want Reiko?"(Cheryl)

"hmm? No not really."(Reiko)

I murmured with a slightly drooping head. Cheryl had a complicated look, closing her eyes while scratching her chin.

"Oi, is that Reiko?"(Faye)

Suddenly from nowhere I heard a familiar voice. Turning my head slightly I saw Faye holding a basket herself. She was waving her hand, getting out attention.

"Aftanoon to ya both. Ya two been doin' well?"(Faye)

"Why yes we are, and I suppose your here to buy some holiday clothes like us?"(Cheryl)

"Why, actually I'm in an errand for the old man, ya know since he hasn't been doin' all too hot."(Faye)

Saying so, Faye brought out a giant Santa costume from her basket. It was as huge as two of me. Grimacing, Faye put back the costume back into her basket. 

"He said he wanted somethin' that bring out the holiday spirit, especially afta what happened not too long ago."(Faye)

"I see, well since you're here wanna join us? We were also planning on buying for the holiday."(Cheryl)1Reiko not consent -Reiko

"Of course, but... the kid ova here, she fine?"(Faye)

"hmm?"(Cheryl)

They saw me with sunken eyes with my soul leaving my body. Mom, I am too tired to be in another world... my mom wouldn't care... and she's dead...

The weather's been making me all tired, I don't think I can handle anything like this. I wanna go sleep. 

It's not that I don't want Cheryl to have fun, or that I hate wearing clothes, but this monotonous waiting. The cycle of waiting and waiting, it kills me in the inside. 

"Oh, well then, Reiko, shall we take a break?"(Cheryl)

"y~es please..."(Reiko)

As I said that Cheryl went up to the clerk for the purchase.

"!"(Cheryl)

Suddenly she froze up, visible shaking going throughout her body like an electric pulse. Slowly turning to the side I saw her nervous face with small droplets of sweat to the side.

"I seem to not have money..."(Cheryl)

...

Hah~

Sighing, I opened my bag and took out some quils, enough to buy the dress, it totaled to about-

500 QUILS!

That's like...

1... 2... a lot of days!

Umu, I guess if it's for Cheryl... but, 500 quils still a lot. But it's Christmas...

"Ah Reiko, no, you don't have to, it's your hard earned money, no need to use it on me."(Cheryl)

She leaned down to me, closed my bag. Cheryl was waving her hands left and right, smiling. Cheryl was telling me no, and I don't want to really buy it either, but it's Christmas, I'll feel bad if I don't get her anything... but 500 quils... 

Back in Japan Kana usually wanted things worth more, and I sometimes managed to get them. But this is not modern Japan...

"b- but it's Chirstmas..."(Reiko)

"Ah, no no, you don't have to, it's something you worked earnestly, instead go get something for yourself."(Cheryl)

"it's the season of giving though, a- and I can spare a litt-"(Reiko)

Feeling something on my head, I raised my head and saw Cheryl, patting me on the head.

"Thank you, but I can't take something like this, maybe when you're older, but now, especially since I should be the one getting you something, not the other way around."(Cheryl)

"b- but I'll feeling guilty..."(Reiko)

"Ai, enough with tha nonsense, give me that, I'll pay it for ya."(Faye)

Faye yanked the dress from Cheryl with such speed faster than Santa's sleigh. Staring at the price tag, her eyes popped open like giant googly eyes.

Her jaw dropped and made a rusty hinge sound. 

"Do y'all wanna go eat?"(Faye)

Before I could say anything, Faye just wanked our arms out the store, not even buying the Santa costume.

-----

 A gentle snowflake landed on the top of the strawberry. Sitting outside on a circular table, we all shared a slice of strawberry short cake. While the cake itself didn't taste bad at all, but I didn't have the stomach to eat it.

I feel the longer I stay out here, the more tired I get, especially with the chilling cold, even with using my tail as a blanket, I felt my legs shiver.

Man... this cold is a strong one...

Slightly twisting my head, I saw Faye and Cheryl talking while enjoying their portions. They have gotten very friendly as of recent. 

"So that's how ya fight with a sword, neva thought ya be the type of woman to use to a sword let alone fight."(Faye)

"Well my family is really into hunting monsters."(Cheryl)

She said before taking a bite. Half of her slice had already disappeared, and here I am, barely taking a bite. Uhhh... I am jealous, I wanna eat too...

"But say, why ya always disappearing but not now?"(Faye)

"Ahah, well, I have my reasons on not wanting to be seen, I am only really like this at the moment because it's, ya know, Christmas Eve."(Cheryl)

"Fair enough."(Faye)

The two giggled, taking bites off their cakes. My head felt cloudy, as if someone erased parts of my brain. Y- know... maybe I should just go... hom-

Blop

I did end up finishing that cake, just not the way I intended, with frosting and strawberry mush all over my face.

------

"hhng?"(Reiko)

I slowly opened my eyes, I was covered by a gentle warmth. Looking around, I was back at my room, and it had already become so dark. 

"Ah Reiko, are you okay?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl said curiously, touching my forehead. 

"Seems like your temperature is normal, do you feel weird in any way?"(Cheryl)

"no, I don't."(Reiko)

Cheryl let out a slight sigh, letting go of my forehead. Sitting down on the bed, she faced me with a slightly gloomy expression.

"You made Faye and I shocked when you collapsed all of a sudden, but I'm glad you're feeling better now."(Cheryl)

The room was warm, with the windows, and thick blanket. I was feeling much better than I was before. I wonder if this 'disease' has something to do with the temperature, maybe I am extra sensitive to cold? But... wouldn't I be more sensitive to the heat since I am as pale as paper?

"Cocoa?"(Cheryl)

Cheryl broke through me being stuck in thought, offering me a mug of hot chocolate. 

"ah I uh, thank you."(Reiko)

Gracefully accepting I took a sip.

"Ah, choo hot."(Reiko)

I burnt me tongue. 

BAM!

"HALLLO!"(Faye)

While I was fanning my tongue, the door burst open. I jumped in spot with ears rising high into the air. 

"P- paye?"(Reiko)

Coming from stood a completely dressed Faye, wearing a homely reindeer onesie. Brown with patches of cloth and button eye, it was a bit crude but had a type of charm to it. Behind her was Friedrich, still bandaged up, wearing a red shirt and a... a beanie? It was red fabric circling around his head. 

He looked like a younger dollar-store Santa, well almost, he was on crutches with bandages around half his face.

A giant grin on both of their faces, they held large bags.

"Welcome~!"(Cheryl)

Cheryl greeted them with a gentle expression.

"uhm... hello, wh- what brings you here?"(Reiko)

Friedrich laughed, coughed, and then laughed again. Even when in pain, he could still laugh it off, I one day too wish to have that ability.

"It's to celebrate of course! Brought the food and all!"(Friedrich)

Mr. Ehrenwert said before taking out what looked to be a paper bucket out of the bag. It had a distinct red and white pattern. A familiar yet a new smell came from the bucket, it couldn't be... was that chicken!?

Peeking into, I was correct! Crispy, orange chicken. 

"I- uh, I don't mean to be rude, if I am, but sir don't you have close friends and family to spend this time with?"(Reiko)

He placed his hand on my head.

"Hahaha! This place and everyone in it is basically my family! But not everyone wants to hang out with an old man like me you know!."(Friedrich)

Heartily laughing, showing no sign of any other emotion but pure joy. His mouth was a giant D as he laughed out loud. 

"Well what are we waiting for! Time to celebrate!"(Friedrich)

Friedrich shouted as golden pieces of chicken exploded like a volcano from the bucket. 

M- magic!?

Friedrich, Faye and Cheryl all dug into the meal. I took a small drumstick and sunk my teeth into it.

Crunch~

The meat was soft and it excreted its fatty oils. Warm and savory, lightly salted, the flavor just melted in your mouth. Crispy to where it would make a loud crunch. 

Stars appeared and twinkled in my eye. A wave of memories taking me away like a sailboat in the ocean. 

Back when I was in Japan, when Kana wasn't sick, mother and father would, sometimes, be home while Kana and I dug into the tender chickens. Playing games in our vintendo Nii. 2No sue please.

Time passed quickly, Friedrich munched through nearly the entire bucket in a matter of minutes, no wonder there were more than one bag. 

...

""On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me~~""(Cheryl & Faye)

Cheryl and Faye's voices harmonised, singing the carol like professionals. Friedrich slapped tambourine in tune to their singing wearing a toothy grin. Once they were done, Friedrich got up and went up stage, the middle of the room.

"Alright girls, let me show you how a real man does it."(Friedrich)

The air was tense, as we waited for him. A beam of light singling him out. He took a deep breath in and

"LAAAAAAHHH!!!"(Friedrich)

b- beautiful.

...

"So there I was, holding a broken sword and a giant wyvern in front of me. I was sure it was going to be the end of me, but I noticed, the feller was all tired and his face was completely exposed, so I took that to my advantage and ran in and penetrated its skull and its brain!"(Friedrich)

I was engrossed into this epic tale, it was a story of a time during Friedrich's youth. 

"Ah don't trust the old man, he usually makes things bigga than what it is."(Faye)

While Cheryl and I was entranced by his story, Faye scoffed it off. 

"Hahah! I do do that, but this one's purely fact!"(Friedrich)

He said raising his hand high up in the air, making a triumphant pose. Faye stared at him, unimpressed.

"I think all the alcohol has done somethin' to ya brain."(Faye)

"How can that be possible if I didn't even take a sip! Speaking of, Faye can you fetch a weak old man some beer?"(Friedrich)

Slowly her arm rose into the air, before slamming down onto Friedrich's head. A little bump grew from his head.

"Tha hell with that!"(Faye)

...

There was a cosy air in the atmosphere. Bells jingled to a melody in the background, a delectable aroma entering my nostrils. 

It felt the world came to a stop but eventually, time began moving again.

Loud snoozes sounding like a bear came from Friedrich who had fallen asleep, Faye wasn't that quieter either. But a silence loomed over the city of Traumland, a peace I got used to, a peace I long ago yearned for.

Sitting on the bed swaying my legs, I was wide awake with Cheryl.

The room became a complete mess, something I came very accustomed to in my last life. At least it's from people and not neglect.

"Reiko, do you have anything you're grateful for?"(Cheryl)

"uhm, I don't know, maybe how things are right now?"(Reiko)

"What do you mean?"(Cheryl)

Chery asked me curiously. 

"I- I mean, before I met you or came here, I'd say I wasn't in the, didn't live the best life."(Reiko)

Cheryl frowned slightly, before it made a 180. 

"Well, I am grateful for you meeting me too.

...  to think I would finally be away from that hell."(Cheryl)

Her mouth said one thing but her eyes betrayed her, unveiling the mask she wore. 

"And to have such a cute companion too!"(Cheryl)

She lunged to me and pinned me down onto the bed. Giggles left her mouth as she was stretching her arms and collapsed onto the bed and got comfortable.

"It's getting late, Santa Clause won't be too happy when naughty children stay up late, come on, it's time for bed."(Cheryl)

"ok."(Reiko)

I nodded and lied on my bed.

So much time have already passed to where it's now Christmas. It's crazy to think so much could happen and I have feeling a lot more will happen in the future.

But, whatever it may be, even if it's scary, hard or downright painful, I still feel, happy that I died on that day.

I guess, I am grateful for how things are right now. While, it isn't ideal to be in this little body, I've gotten, somewhat used to it.

 A yawn escaped my mouth, so I pulled the blanket up, and before I knew it, I was already asleep.

Special chapters are noncanonical to a degree, especially considering Reiko didn't spend that long in Traumland. Well, the story in these special chapters are non-canon but I guess how they act and the lore provided is. Also, I chose Traumland since, after all P'horruki is kinda a closed society with a leader who doesn't really celebrate Christmas. You can however take as canon if you so desire.

 

In another news, thanks for reading till now, I may not be the best but I am evolving thanks to your support. Merry Christmas.

7