Chapter 6: Prayer of Vexation
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

What is this? A demon summoning pit?

 

What’s with the flickering red ambience lighting? What’s with the cold air and that stink? Why’s the altar so gloomy? Rather than an altar, isn’t that just a sarcophagus?

 

“Ah, we haven’t been cleaning up here, huh.”

 

Director Vernier traced his finger across the sarcophagus, revealing the surface under the layer of dust.

 

“Brother-director, it seems you have left the air-conditioning on once more.”

 

Brother Adam got the remote control from the wall mount and turned the A/C off after a few beeps.

 

“Ahh! We’re using the wrong incense!”

 

Sister Eve replaced the incense in the censer with something more Christian-smelling.

… What does that even smell like?

 

 

… so nobody addressed the fact that the altar’s a sarcophagus, huh? Alright.

 

 

“Well then, with this — Mr. Aoi, please do as you please.”

 

Director Vernier bid goodbye and left with the other two. I chose a pew somewhat off to the side, knelt down, and placed my hands together.

Come to think of it, this isn’t a physically-existing church, so does it even count as one?

 

 

As I closed my eyes, the world around me turned to white.

I realized that I was already in a “room” — even if everything was still white. It was an experience familiar to me.

Ah, being summoned to Heaven. How nostalgic.

 

… Though, it’s already been a while. Was no one going to welcome me?

 

… Heaven doesn’t answer every prayer, huh?

If this keeps up, I think I can leave. I’m not clear on the details, but I feel like I can do it as if it’s part of my programming.

Just then, a rectangular hole opened up amidst the flat white that surrounded me, like a seamless door. A certain familiar iron gauntlet reached out and — began to close the door again?!

“Oi, matte!”
“Ihh?!”

 

The door soundlessly slammed shut, then slowly opened again. In the small gap that opened, an azure eye spied on me.

“Ah. Gomen.”

 

Her voice regained its command authority, in contrast to that squeal from a while ago.

The owner of that voice was…

 

“Ah, Arc-san?”

 

She stopped for a slight moment, eyes somewhat wide, then she smirked and continued to approach me.

“That way of calling me. I like that. I permit you to continue using it. Rather, please use it.”

 

Areh? Were here eyes glistening for a moment there? A- Anyway…

 

“Ah, er, yes— Arc-san, is Jesus around?”
“Ahah, sono bakami? Your image of him is too pure.”

 

No, the moment he showed up in a ninja outfit, all my images of him broke on the spot…

 

“So that’s a ‘He could be here but he won’t’, I take it?”
“It’s nice that you understand. So? What did you want to talk about? Ah, and don’t worry, I’m authorized to hear and respond to your concerns.”

 

What are you, a customer service representative?

 

“I- Is that so? Then…”

 

 

I let loose.

I saw hints of comradeship in her eyes as I did.

Eventually, we were seated side-by-side on a bench, the lone object in this room, and she was patting my back while I cried my heart’s annoyances. That iron gauntlet strangely felt warm.

“How could they leave out a detail like there being thousands of other Heroes?! That’s really important, isn’t it?!”

Arc-san’s gaze started swimming around… Areh?

“A- About that…”

 

No. Please. Don’t use that apologetic tone on me.

I don’t want peace and understanding right now. I just want to be mad.

 

“S- So, you see, you’re ‘originally’ supposed to be the only one.”
“… what happened…”
“The Opposition did some things, so we had to adjust… accordingly… yeah…”
“Opposition? You mean Hell?”

 

She gave me a confused look.

 

“Do you not know that Hell is just a sub-department of Heaven?”
“Eh?”
“Just think of it as the department no one wants to talk about.”
“Ah.”

 

She leaned forward, resting her chin on her hands. The exasperation on her face was quietly bubbling to the surface.

This “Opposition” has been giving them one hell of a fight, huh.

 

“So… sending in thousands of Heroes was Heaven’s counter-plan, huh?”
“Indeed. We even invested in granting revelations to some individuals in this era to create organizations to receive and organize you all.”

 

Ne, there were some plural nouns there.

Well— not my problem!

What’s important is that the Church of Christian Revivalism was one of them, after all. I guess I could trust them? A bit?

Still…

 

 

“Ne, Arc-san.”
“Hm?”

Her voice softened, and she showed me her curiosity. She was looking straight at me.

“Do you think I can actually do it?”
“You doubt yourself?”
“I can’t say I don’t…”

 

A moment’s silence passed between us.

 

This was the first time that I had a family that didn’t want to be in my background.

This was the first time that I had a life that was ‘normal’.

… Well, as normal as it could be, anyway.

In exchange, Heaven placed on my shoulders the fate of the world.

What kind of rigged deal was that?

 

 

“Hero— no, you go by Kaba Akiino now, yes? Then, Kaba Akiino, there is one thing that you must know.

Heaven did not send you to achieve victory.
Heaven did not send you to succeed.

In the eyes of God, a soul’s worth does not lie in whether it is alive or dead, in whether it achieves victory or is given a dog’s death.

All you must do is to make the kindest decisions, for others as to yourself.

Think of nothing else.”

 

“But, the responsibility…”

“Even responsibilities can be irresponsibly assigned. After all, I was among those who opposed the ‘Hero’ label from the beginning…”

“What?”

“The ‘Hero’ is merely a marketing ploy designed to more easily communicate the intentions of Heaven as to why it grants you your power. The truth is that we already know what you’ll do with your power, even if we never told you anything about it, so rest assured, you don’t have to think too hard about it.”

 

‘Don’t think too hard’, huh…

 

… so I can start my own cult and it’d be fine, huh…

… is that really okay?

 

No, but she said don’t think too hard about it.

Yosh, I’ll start a cult on my free time!

 

“Arc-san. Thank you.”

 

Areh? She turned a bit fidgety?

 

“N- No problem, Kaba Akiino, s-shall you be on your way?”

 

Ah, it’s been that long, huh?

 

“W- Well, I’ll bid my leave. Then, thank you again, Arc-san.”

 

 

She shyly waved goodbye, and I opened my eyes. It didn’t smell of incense anymore.

… If I remember correctly, Sister Eve replaced the incense in the censer when we came in, right?

… Was I praying that long?!

 

Ahh, no good, I gotta go and apologize to the director for taking too long. The moment I touched the church’s door handle, I got teleported outside of Rejisu.

Areh? The moon’s bright?

The building behind me was lifeless. There were only a few pedestrians here and there, hurriedly avoiding crossing strangers’ paths.

 

I checked the time.
It was 2AM.
Goddamnit.

2