5 – Did you actually sell out your own master to the Demon King?
133 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The current Peak Lord Bai was a lot like his predecessor – headstrong and rather petty, yes, and rather pretty too, objectively speaking. And, much like his predecessor, he was a cold-hearted perfectionist as far as medicinal cultivation went. He’d never been stingy about supplying Yi Yeguang with medicinal pills though, and Yi Yeguang in turn had never been stingy about redistributing the surplus to anyone that might end up needing them more than him.

It wasn’t a perfect system by any means. However, it had certainly worked well enough in sparing a significant portion of the Windward Sect from having to deal with Bai Mingyue’s quite abrasive personality on a regular basis.

In hindsight though, it would’ve likely been better if Yi Yeguang had let them to do just that. Because had Peak Lord Bai’s tendencies been more widely known, then that would’ve undoubtedly discouraged a significant portion of those seeking to be placed under his tutelage.

With all due likelihood, a lot of grief could’ve been avoided then. Granted, a lot of grief could’ve also been caused, but that was a different matter.

“Honestly⸺”

Yi Yeguang turned his head to find glacial eyes watching him. “What?”

At first, the other said nothing, simply watched him, arms folded across his chest. But then⸺ “Without me around, you’d definitely end up dead in a ditch.”

Well⸺ “I’m sure you’d know that better than I do, all things considered.”

Yi Yeguang wasn’t about to ask for any details though – like the who, the why, the how and in how many pieces his body had been found. Frankly, he didn’t want to know. However⸺ “I will try my best not to die so pitifully this time around.”

For this, he received an exasperated snort.

Then those glacial eyes turned elsewhere, and those elegant eyebrows furrowed at the sight of that sleek wooden case. It was perfectly obvious what the other was thinking, and thus, there was a need for clarifications.

“I didn’t pull it out,” Yi Yeguang said, nodding in direction of it. “I didn’t even take it out of the box. I just⸺”

“You shouldn’t even touch it,” Mingyue said, his tone leaving no room for argument. “That thing... it’s not needed. We should get rid of it.”

Well, as much as Yi Yeguang agreed with that sentiment⸺ “I think the others might have something to say about us getting rid of Founder Yi’s blade...”

Not to even mention what sort of opinions said sword might have about the issue. Because as much as the thing seemed to hate the idea of Yi Yeguang wielding it, odds were that it wouldn’t take too kindly to getting thrown away either. Besides, if that thing could’ve been easily destroyed, then it would’ve been destroyed years ago.

It was generally assumed that the blade had been forged by the founder of the Windward Sect, known as Founder Yi. Whether this was the case or not, the thing had become extraordinarily attached to the man and had enjoyed a quite turbulent relationship with his successors. Because sure, it had accepted Yi Yeguang’s master, former Sect Leader Yi. It had accepted him – or at the very least tolerated him – right up until the moment it hadn’t, and then⸺

Yi Yeguang released a shuddering breath, then pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Look,” he said, not really wanting to address this but not really wanting to leave it unsaid either. “As much as I’d like to say that we won’t ever need it, there’s really no guarantee. I’m not necessarily talking about the future you’ve lived, because I imagine this one will turn out quite differently. And yes, as much as I’d like to toss that thing into the ocean, there’s really no guarantee that it wouldn’t end up in the hands of yet another power-hungry fool, so keeping it around has to be the better than the alternative. Because as long as we have that, the Green Jade Peaks should be mostly⸺”

With the sword at their disposal, the Green Jade Peaks should be mostly safe. After all, even the most stubborn fools would think twice about attacking them, knowing that they had the sword. Of course, it wasn’t as though Yi Yeguang would actually be able to use it as anything but a last resort – he wouldn’t, and he likely wouldn’t survive the ordeal.

In a best-case scenario, he’d turn into a waste, and in a slightly worse one, he’d die. Then, of course, there was the worst one – namely that Yi Yeguang would die and that he’d take a whole bunch of people down with him.

In theory, the latter might’ve sounded like a great deal to anyone keen on throwing themselves right into the enemy ranks. However, there was no real guarantee that Yi Yeguang would be in a state where he’d still be capable of telling friend from foe. Also, Yi Yeguang firmly believed that it was better to at least try to resolve things through communication, and thus, he generally preferred negotiations over violence.

Granted, he also wasn’t naïve enough to assume that everything could be settled using words alone – because some degree of violence was a given in their world, but as had already been proven, having sufficient leverage was usually enough.

Founder Yi had been powerful, yes, but if the other had whipped out his sword at each and every sign of opposition, a bunch of sects would’ve been completely wiped off the map.

Instead, Founder Yi had favoured negotiations, and he must’ve been a pretty good negotiator at that, having managed to convince seven masters from different sects to defect in order to become the first generation of Peak Lords of the Green Jade Peaks.

Yi Yeguang obviously stood no chance of accomplishing a similar feat. However, fact remained that a remnant of Founder Yi’s power was still in his possession – not in use, but there nonetheless. Yi Yeguang had no real intention of wielding the thing though.

The thing in turn also had no real intention of being wielded by the likes of Yi Yeguang, and it had made this pretty obvious when it had permanently damaged Yi Yeguang’s cultivation. But even if it was essentially a cursed blade, it was still the blade of Founder Yi, so⸺

“It’s fine, honestly,” Yi Yeguang said.

It was most definitely not fine, going by the look the other shot him.

“It’s fine, really,” Yi Yeguang reiterated with a smile. “It’s not like it’s⸺”

Mingyue scowled. “Master would⸺”

Honestly⸺ “There’s no need to bother Venerable Master Bai about something so trivial. I’m sure he’s got his hands full already.”

And even if the other had a lot of time on his hands, Yi Yeguang honestly had no right to use up any of it, and even if Bai Jixue could fix him, Yi Yeguang would rather not ask. He would rather not ask, because he knew that he had absolutely no right to ask and even less right to expect anything.

“Look...” he sighed. “Let’s just not talk about this for now...”

Or ever, really. In any case⸺ “I think you’re already aware, but last night, your husband pushed the Demon Prince off of the top of the Great Pagoda. So, what are your thoughts on that?”

“A fall from that height wouldn’t do enough damage of its own,” Mingyue immediately said. “He should’ve at least stabbed him first.”

Ah. Yi Yeguang had a feeling that he might just be asking the wrong person about this. Still⸺ “Should we be expecting some sort of retaliation for this or not?”

“No need,” Mingyue said. “But⸺”

He trailed off, staying silent long enough for Yi Yeguang to grow increasingly concerned. Then finally⸺ “He’s coming over.”

He? “Who’s coming over?”

“Youming Hongyan,” Mingyue said. “The Demon King.”

Uh⸺ “...When?”

“Soon,” the other said. And with those words, he swept off, leaving Yi Yeguang to stare blankly after him with a sinking feeling in his chest.

 


 

Seated across from the smiling countenance of one Demon King, Yi Yeguang quietly contemplated tossing the tea that still remained in his cup right into the other’s face – because given the state of everything, the demon in question really had no business coming here wearing such an expression. Because this was the Windward Sect of the Green Jade Peaks, not some makeshift playground for current or future Demon Kings.

Yi Yeguang certainly didn’t say or do anything of the sort though, simply taking the time to study the other. Because despite the long crimson locks, there was some family resemblance in-between the Demon King and his nephew – though not quite as much as that in-between the latter and the latter’s father. This made Yi Yeguang wonder what the mother might’ve looked like – pretty, if Jiao Zilei’s tastes had remained the same throughout the years.

Actually, coming to think of it, Yi Yeguang still didn’t know the fate of former Peak Lord Jiao.

The Demon King was likely privy to such information, but while Yi Yeguang felt tempted to ask, he ultimately didn’t. He didn’t ask about the state and current whereabouts the other technically errant Peak Lord either, for obvious reasons. He didn’t ask, but⸺

“So,” said the Demon King. “We meet at last.”

Indeed, though Yi Yeguang honestly wasn’t sure why there was a need for them to meet in the first place. On one hand, he supposed that his position as Sect Leader was being acknowledged. On the other hand though⸺ “Indeed. Now what?”

Yi Yeguang wasn’t being particularly courteous. However, he had effectively been ambushed in his private quarters and was quite annoyed by it.

“Well,” said the Demon King, far more amused than offended. “I really can’t say that I came here for the purpose of some grand scheme. I’m just checking in.”

Hoh? “On his highness?”

At this, there was an amused snort, followed by a dismissive wave.

“Nah,” said the Demon King. “These days, I trust Little Jun to take care of himself. He’s matured a lot since finding himself a mate.”

“Is that so?”

Hah. If this was the Demon Prince having matured somewhat, then just how annoying had the other been before that? Very, considering the person who’d fathered him.

“Granted, he still has some ways to go before I’d call him fully mature,” the Demon King said, firing off a smile in Mingyue’s direction next. “Little Yue’s such a cute, diligent child. I honestly envy you, Mingyue.”

The temperature of their surroundings immediately dropped.

“Yes,” Mingyue commented at last, while Yi Yeguang noted that the tea in his cup was now not only cold but partially frozen. “He is very diligent and very clever. Far too good for that demon bastard. And Master too. He deserves far better than the likes of you.”

Ah, that was⸺

“Well...” The Demon King smiled. “Jixue still chose me in the end, so that is that. Besides⸺”

At this, the Demon King’s smile grew even brighter. “⸺who was it again that sold out their one and only master in exchange for my help?”

At this, the surrounding temperatures dropped even further, and Yi Yeguang put down the teacup to inspect his fingertips for the beginnings of frostbite. There was none. However, there was also no guarantee that things would remain that way, and as such⸺

Yi Yeguang forced his now stiff legs to move, rising to his feet. And in doing so, he inadvertently attracted the attention of the other two, both of whom regarded him with something that might’ve been surprise, but might’ve been something else entirely. Honestly, had these two completely forgotten about Yi Yeguang’s presence? They were in Yi Yeguang’s private quarters for Heavens’ sake.

“Pardon me.” Yi Yeguang slid his hands into his sleeves and bowed. “As an outsider, I am not entitled to voice my opinions on this matter. However, since the two of you decided to discuss it openly in my presence, allow me to say this much: Venerable Master Bai is his own person, capable of making his own decisions, and it’s the same for young Youming Yue. And while I cannot claim to know either of them very well, my impression is still that they – Venerable Master Bai in particular – would sooner destroy anyone or anything attempting to keep him anywhere he didn’t want to be than accept it. Am I wrong?”

Also, given that Mingyue’s own disciple had apparently gone through the trouble of poisoning Jiao Ziyu over something the man’s future counterpart had done, it was perfectly reasonable to assume that Youming Yue would’ve done something about the Demon Prince if he had actively opposed the union. Besides, if he hadn’t wanted to deal with it himself, then Mingyue would’ve probably taken care of it already.

That said though⸺ “If there’s any doubt about their respective wishes, then ask, and whatever their wishes are, respect them. That’s just common sense, you know?”

It was common sense, which was unfortunately quite uncommon in certain areas and aspects of life. Still, in this case, considering the individuals involved, Yi Yeguang thought that it should still apply. He didn’t really have much of a say in it though, given that Youming Yue had yet to be officially initiated into the sect, and Yi Yeguang had no authority to make decisions on Bai Jixue’s behalf. Also, as far as the official paperwork was concerned, the latter was still marked as ascended, provided that Peak Lord Wen had yet to remedy that – which she most likely had, at this point, even though it was highly unnecessary.

With a heavy internal sigh, Yi Yeguang straightened back up, and as he did, he found the Demon King staring at him quite openly now.

The stare didn’t seem hostile though, but it was definitely intense. And Yi Yeguang stared right back without flinching, most likely breaking a whole bunch of royal protocol in the process – this was the Green Jade Peaks though, and not the Demon Realm, and for better or for worse, this was still Yi Yeguang’s domain.

“Hoh,” the Demon King said at last, blinking slowly before tilting his head slightly to one side. “You’ve given me much to think about, Sect Leader Yeguang.”

Well, Yi Yeguang certainly hoped so, because if not, then he feared for the other’s future relationship with a certain errant Peak Lord – not that it was truly Yi Yeguang’s business though, and he had absolutely no intention of ever making it such. Because that was the thing about meddling – it was done at one’s own peril, something which Mingyue had undoubtedly discovered the hard way if the Demon King’s words served as any sort of indication.

Thus, once the Demon King finally left, vanishing into one of those dimensional rifts, Yi Yeguang immediately turned around to stare very pointedly at the current Peak Lord Bai, who kept his eyes stubbornly averted. Honestly⸺ “Did you actually sell out your own master to the Demon King?”

 

3