7 – I hope you all thought it was worth it
123 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

After dedicating much of his evening to paperwork, Yi Yeguang had entered his private quarters. Not even bothering to put on any lights, he had made a beeline for the bed, ready to just fall into oblivion without even removing his sandals.

However, something – some instinct much stronger than the mounting exhaustion – had stopped him in his tracks and driven him to light up some of the room’s lanterns with a flick of his wrist, which in turn had resulted in a low growl from under the bed.

Obviously, Yi Yeguang had known better than to bend down to take a closer look, because that way lay getting bitten or scratched by an opportunistic little beast.

Also, this opportunistic little beast just so happened to be Mingyue’s responsibility. As such, Yi Yeguang had wasted no time readying a messenger talisman before dragging himself off to the window – keeping his distance while also keeping an eye on Princess Hónglián.

The latter was also watching him, her eyes gleaming whenever the light of the nearest lantern caught them. Yi Yeguang didn’t allow his gaze to linger there for too long though. At the same time, he also didn’t let his guard down, because then the opportunistic little beast might just try to sneak up on him – and that was experience speaking, not just paranoia.

What a vicious little beast she was, even at such a tender age. She made the scratches inflicted by Mingyue seem like nothing in comparison, and if this was her when she was so young – so young and still relatively weak – then Yi Yeguang dreaded what she might be like later on.

In contrast, Princess Báilián was a lot calmer – though docile might’ve been another word for it. Mingyue seemed significantly more protective of her than of the other, something that probably had as much to do with their respective temperaments as it had to do with Mingyue’s inherent bias.

Princess Hónglián was undeniably a lot more active and a lot more independent, and with her crimson locks and her display of dimensional abilities, she had undoubtedly inherited a lot from the Demon King.

Princess Báilián in the meantime had a shock of white hair, which together with her other features made her look a lot like a younger Bai Jixue, albeit a significantly sleepier and mellower version – for now, that is, but there was absolutely no guarantee of her remaining as such.

And as for the reactions to the news that they would be hosting the Demon King’s and Bai Jixue’s offspring went⸺

 


 

“They’re quite cute,” Elder Lin said, stroking his beard.

“Indeed,” Elder Wen agreed, contemplating her mostly empty cup. “Still, it’s a shame.”

To this, Peak Lord Xiu emphatically signalled her agreement before refilling their cups for the umpteenth time.

There was sense in there being some alcohol though. Because tonight was supposed to be a night of celebration; a feast to celebrate the imminent departure of some.

However, instead of rejoicing, the trio before him seemed determined to drown their sorrows. And from what Yi Yeguang had come to understand, there was much grief to be had, because many, many, many spirit stones had been lost to Elder Huang, who had apparently been running a secret betting ring behind Yi Yeguang’s back.

Of course, that wasn’t to say that Yi Yeguang was surprised – not exactly no. Because while Elder Huang was a renowned expert in talismans and wards, he was also a notorious gambling addict who’d been banned from all gambling establishments in the region and would regularly don disguises to visit them regardless.

As for Yi Yeguang, he was obviously aware of this, because Elder Huang would either send him notice or drop by to inform him of his plans – which was nice of him, since certain other Peak Lords certainly didn’t bother. Yi Yeguang hadn’t seen any real reason to put a stop to this either, because while Elder Huang liked to gamble, he wouldn’t bet things that weren’t his own – as far as wealth and material possessions were concerned, at least.

In any case, Yi Yeguang had obviously been aware of Elder Huang’s tendencies for a long time, and even if he hadn’t been personally indebted to the other, he would’ve still allowed the other to continue – because anything else would’ve been a futile effort, no doubt.

As for the other Peak Lords, they were certainly no strangers to making speculations either. However, they were also not the sort to wager anything valuable – or so Yi Yeguang had thought right up until very recently; a personal failing on his part, certainly, but what was one more for the pile, honestly?

With a sigh, he contemplated his cup of tea.

Earlier, Peak Lord Xiu had attempted to offer him something stronger. However, with the plunge in the surrounding temperatures, it was obvious that someone was keeping watch – which was only natural, given whose territory they were currently in.

As for why this get-together had been organised at the residence of Peak Lord Bai, it had originally been framed as a desire to take a closer look at Bai Jixue’s offspring before ascending – because this was indeed what Elder Lin and Elder Wen were about to do.

On one hand, Yi Yeguang could understand their fascination. Having children wasn’t particularly common amongst cultivators after all. In fact, many didn’t have much experience being around actual children either, barring the time when they had been children themselves. Besides, these weren’t just any children but full-blooded demon children and young ones at that; beings that any self-respecting demon parent would normally have kept far, far away from any righteous cultivators.

Of course, in this case, they certainly weren’t without supervision. Because while all the Peak Lords had been allowed to take a closer look, Mingyue had been there to supervise, much like he was keeping an eye on things now. He’d been perfectly sober then however, and he definitely wasn’t now.

As such, the only Peak Lord sharing Yi Yeguang’s fate in sobriety was Jiao Ziyu, who just smiled sheepishly at the spectacle before him while Mingyue remained plastered against his side, eyeing them all with a cool air of disapproval.

Clearly, the other didn’t like having so many outsiders in his territory, and Yi Yeguang didn’t doubt that it had as much to do with the kids as it had to do with Mingyue’s disciple. Because much like the certain Peak Lords had expressed a desire to look at Bai Jixue’s offspring, they’d expressed a similar desire to see Mingyue’s disciple, whom he had kept firmly away from the lot for months at this point.

And indeed, now the relevant introductions had been made, and while certain Peak Lords had greeted Youming Yue with adequate courtesy, there had been tangible confusion – even disappointment – about just how unassuming the other had seemed.

Unassuming or not however, appearances could be deceiving, and Mingyue’s disciple was a whole lot more than he initially appeared.

At this point however, both he and the Demon Prince had long left, joining the kids into another room that was shielded by multiple sound-proofing wards, and it was only after this that Mingyue had decided to start drinking as well.

The sight of Mingyue snuggling up to Jiao Ziyu had Peak Lord Xiu let out a quite undignified squeal, which had obviously been noticed but not commented upon, not even as it morphed into a snivel as blood started gushing from her nostrils.

And this would’ve surely been alarming, had Yi Yeguang not seen those flushed cheeks and the intense look in her eyes as she turned away and stuffed something up her nose to stem the blood flow before taking another look, clearly intent on committing the sight to memory, all while Mingyue looked on in disgust and Jiao Ziyu in surprise.

Yi Yeguang honestly wondered why Jiao Ziyu was so surprised though. Because while the other had all but ceased making those paintings of his, this didn’t mean that the demand for such had ceased, whether at the Green Jade Peaks or elsewhere.

Peak Lord Xiu happened to be among those collecting them, and this was something that Yi Yeguang only knew because one of Peak Lord Xiu’s disciples had accidentally slipped one of said artworks into their mission reports at one point.

In hindsight, it probably hadn’t been that accidental. At the time though, Yi Yeguang had been too busy keeping his qi under control to even consider such possibilities – and not because of some third leg reaction, no, of course not. No, if anything, then Yi Yeguang had been horrified – horrified and apprehensive – because if the wrong person laid eyes on such a thing, then there would’ve been literal Hell to pay.

As such, Yi Yeguang hadn’t brought up the issue with Mingyue, although he probably should have done so and nipped this whole affair in the bud – yet another personal failing to add to the ever-growing pile, he supposed.

And speaking of the latter⸺

He glanced towards the lone figure out in the garden, but didn’t allow his gaze to linger.

However, going by the look that Peak Lord Xiu soon sent him, she had read a whole lot of unnecessary things into that glance, because the woman was now smiling almost as much as Elder Huang had upon the conclusion of that long-running bet. Honestly⸺

“It is what it is,” Yi Yeguang said, completely ignoring her in favour of looking towards the other two. “It is what it is, and it’s not our place to meddle in any of it.”

Yi Yeguang was probably addressing the wrong people here though, seeing as to how Elder Wen and Elder Lin were both about to ascend. Because apparently, they’d been putting this off for a while, not wanting to do so until they’d learned about the true fate of former Peak Lord Bai.

Yi Yeguang had a feeling though – no, a sneaking suspicion – that this might also be due to a wish to be well out of reach by the time Bai Jixue finally decided to turn up and slaughter them for their role in all of this.

And the more that Yi Yeguang stared at the two, the more certain he became of it. The longer he looked, the more certain he became. Granted, he might not have had much proof, but circumstantial evidence had certainly hinted at a thing or two – or in this case, that certain Peak Lords had not only participated in a rather distasteful bet but also actively undertaken measures in order to ensure a favourable outcome for themselves.

Of this, Yi Yeguang was now relatively certain. He was relatively certain, because this would’ve certainly explained Mingyue’s habit of hoarding antidotes to various aphrodisiacs despite them never officially having been put to use.

Ah, honestly⸺

“I hope you all thought it was worth it,” he said, fixating a decidedly cool gaze upon them as he stood up, offering a curt nod to Mingyue before turning on his heel and leaving.

His abrupt departure was met with obvious surprise, but thankfully, no one attempted to follow – not even Peak Lord Cheng, who’d been sulking outside, for which Yi Yeguang was immensely thankful.

A short flight later, he finally touched down in his own garden, and even though there was no one around to see him, he quickly made his way inside.

It was getting harder to breathe again, and Yi Yeguang had to make use of the nearest wall for support. Then he just gave up on it, and slid down the wall until he was but a pathetic heap on the floor.

Ah, what a mess. What a bloody⸺

The rattle of that cursed sword cut into his thoughts, and Yi Yeguang instinctively turned his head towards it. It seemed remarkably unhappy to see him, and the feeling was mutual.

“You know,” he said at last. “I think I’m starting to get it now; the reason as to why you’d accept my master but not me. I mean, he might’ve been a bastard, but at least he wasn’t a coward.”

And Yi Yeguang might just be the former and the latter, honestly. No, he was, he most definitely was; he had simply been too preoccupied with pretending to be a decent person to think much of it.

In any case⸺ “I think I get it now – the reason why you’re so damned moody all the time. You must’ve been awfully fond of Founder Yi, and quite angry with us for screwing up his legacy. And who knows, maybe you’re also angry with him for leaving you here with us – for leaving you to my master, who got so corrupted that he’d use anything and anyone to realise his ambitions.”

That is, if the other had ever been particularly burdened by morals in the first place, which was doubtful. In any case⸺ “I get it, honestly, I really do. Being used for nefarious purposes really sucks, and you wanted to put an end to that, so you rejected him, as is your right. But you know, you could’ve done a better job of it – you could’ve ended him right then and there instead of inflicting him upon the rest of us!”

Ah, remembrance.

“Look,” he said. “I’m not blameless in all of this, but neither are you. We were both his tools, and unlike you, I had to be useful or else I’d get thrown away. I knew I was just a tool to him – just a pawn. I knew that, and yet⸺”

It was a terrible thing to admit, but⸺ “I’m not a good person, and I know that; I’m a bastard and I’m a coward. You did well in not choosing me – having you accept me would’ve probably straight gone to my head, and I don’t know if this sect would’ve survived that.”

Then again⸺ “What does it matter at this point? Founder Yi’s legacy has been dragged into the mud, and as much as I’d like to take sole responsibility for that, I can’t, because the Peak Lords of previous generations should also be held accountable.”

They should. They really should, but⸺ “For all it’s worth, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have attempted to touch you with these sullied hands of mine. It must’ve been very unpleasant for you, though probably not as agonising as it was for me.”

And it had been agonising. Yi Yeguang would’ve probably died, had Mingyue not been so close at hand. But now he wasn’t; Yi Yeguang was alone, and now⸺

It took some effort to get over there, but before long, he was able to put his hand on top of the lid. He patted it lightly and then looked towards the window. He wanted to get over there, but for some reason, there didn’t seem to be any strength left in his legs – pathetic, truly.

“Don’t worry,” Yi Yeguang said. “I won’t try to touch you again. I won’t let anyone else touch you though – not until I’m relatively certain that you won’t do the same thing to them as you did to me. Because I might be a bastard, but I’m not that much of a bastard. I think your feelings on this matter are valid, but if you want a target, then look no further. I’m here.”

His chest ached.

 

3