14 – The Dao comes in many different forms
58 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Master Wu – Wu Ming, that is – had always spoken fondly of the Green Jade Peaks. Cheng Kong isn’t certain he would do the same though. He would speak well of his own master however, Master Wu Chengyi. He would, because there’s no reason to do otherwise.

Each morning, the disciples of Wu Chengyi get up for morning practice, typically surveyed by one of the senior disciples. After that, they are divided up into groups performing different chores. Some are tasked with scrubbing the floors or with cleaning the yard, and others with fetching water and firewood. Then, there are those tasked with preparing the meals, though they are a decidedly small number.

Maintaining equipment is something everyone does, and those that neglect theirs are made to run laps up and down the mountain until sundown.

Master Wu is a strict teacher, but not an unfair one. Despite the Windward Sect not being particularly renowned for its martial arts, he retains high expectations for his disciples, and betraying those expectations is not an option. Cheng Kong in particular doesn’t want to betray those expectations, being the same age as most of the senior disciples who all have considerably more experience than him.

“An exhibition match?”

Cheng Kong’s senior martial brother, Head Disciple Zhen, nods. “Yes, against Third Brother Zun. Tomorrow.”

An exhibition match against Brother Zun? “But is it really suitable for me to take part in such a thing, and against Third Brother Zun? I am certain that there are more suitable candidates.”

“Perhaps,” Head Disciple Zhen says. “However, this is what Master Wu has decided. It isn’t our place to say otherwise.”

Indeed, it is not. Still, Cheng Kong is admittedly nervous. He’s reasonably confident in his ability to defeat most disciples in a spar, so he isn’t particularly concerned about that portion. Third Brother Zun however is a formidable opponent, though obviously not as formidable as Second Brother Zhi, who would facing off against Head Disciple Zhen.

All three of them have served as instructors to him at one point or the other, though they have yet to face one another in a proper spar. From the looks of it, this would soon become a thing of the past however.

Still, it’s Third Brother Zun.

 


 

It’s Third Brother Zun. It’s Third Brother Zun, and yet

“Winner, Disciple Cheng!”

“It was a good match, Junior Brother Cheng,” Third Brother Zun murmurs, head still bowed low. “I concede.”

Cheng Kong quickly returns the favour, bowing his head down low as well. “This disciple thanks Third Brother Zun for his guidance.”

Then, after paying proper respects to both their master and to the others watching, they retreat off to the side, waiting for Second Brother Zhi and Head Disciple Zhen’s exhibition match to begin.

Then and only then, Cheng Kong chances another look in the direction of the invited guests – because Master Wu isn’t the only Peak Lord in attendance.

Peak Lord Xiu is there, the lower part of her face obscured behind her usual gauzy veil while she plays the part of an attentive listener and conversationalist where she sits right next to Master Wu.

Peak Lord Bai has also decided to grace them with his presence, providing a highly unnecessary distraction not just for Cheng Kong but for many of the others as well. If anything, then Peak Lord Bai ought to have been the one wearing a veil. And why is he attending anyway? He doesn’t seem particularly interested in the proceedings, and neither does he show proper respect to the Sect Leader seated right beside him.

Sect Leader Yeguang’s presence is another matter; it’s only natural for the Sect Leader to be in attendance, because the progress of Master Wu’s disciples ought to be of some import to him after all, even if their sect might not be quite as known for their martial arts as for example Red Maple.

Privately, Cheng Kong likes to think that they’re not weaker – that they make up for their lack of quantity with quality. But

The Windward Sect at the Green Jade Peaks is certainly famous enough, though more so for its individuals than for teaching any specific style or skill. This isn’t due to a lack of resources either. Rather than a lack of resources, it’s a matter of mentality – that every disciple is expected to learn the fundamentals of each area and then specialise in one area under a specific master.

After that, it depends on the master in question. Some masters place a greater value in orthodoxy, whereas others are extremely tolerant of unorthodox methods as long as they produce the desired results.

Such a thing would’ve never been allowed in a place like the Lotus Leaf, nor in most other major cultivation sects. Here however, the Peak Lords hold a substantial amount of power, and as such, they are largely allowed free rein as far as teaching and training is concerned. However

The exhibition match in-between Head Disciple Zhen and Second Brother Zhi concludes, and Cheng Kong is deeply ashamed about the fact that he hadn’t paid much attention to it. Glancing around cautiously, he checks to see if anyone had noticed, but from the looks of it, this is not the case. Instead, everyone’s attention is directed elsewhere – upon Head Disciple Zhen as he steps up to receive his prize.

In truth, Cheng Kong hadn’t even been aware of there being such a thing before this point.

“Enough to buy himself a town or two,” someone mutters behind him, and although Cheng Kong wants to turn around to see who it is, he doesn’t.

“A town or two would be nowhere near enough,” another comments. “With that many, even the Emperor himself would

Cheng Kong grits his teeth, steeling himself against the onslaught of emotion. He doesn’t quite succeed though, if Third Brother Zun’s hand on his shoulder serves as any sort of indication.

“The quality of Peak Lord Bai’s Qi Refining Pills is very high,” Third Brother Zun mumbles. “There will be other chances. However, First Brother is not greedy. If you ask him, then

Whatever he means to say next is lost as Master Wu’s voice rings out, calling for Cheng Kong.

“Go, Junior Brother Cheng,” Third Brother Zun urges him. “Are you not a winner as well? Go and accept Master’s praises.”

Well, technically, he is, but

Unable to do much else, Cheng Kong walks up to Master Wu, making sure to show proper respects both to him and to the guests attending. He isn’t really interested in any sort of prize, but if Master Wu bestows one upon him, then he would gratefully receive it.

However, instead of addressing him directly, Master Wu promptly directs Cheng Kong’s attention towards Peak Lord Xiu, who motions for him to step even closer, her eyes crinkled in a smile.

“You’ve got marvellous footwork, Disciple Cheng,” she tells him. “Have you ever been taught any style of dancing?”

Hearing her words, Cheng Kong feels ready to shudder once more. However, this time around, he manages to contain his reaction much better and instead just bows his head, professing that he has not.

Hearing this, Peak Lord Xiu simply smiles. Then she rises to her feet, cupping her hands in front of her as she offers him a slight bow.

“Sect Leader Yeguang extends his formal congratulations,” she says. “Furthermore, the Sect Leader extends his formal apologies for leaving ahead of time.”

She makes no mention as to why the Sect Leader had suddenly departed. However, now that Cheng Kong is paying attention again, he notices that Peak Lord Bai’s seat is also empty.

 


 

Afterwards, it’s not long before there’s an announcement: Master Wu and Head Disciple Zhen would both be entering seclusion, and one or both of them were expected to ascend soon thereafter.

And although Master Wu’s disciples are all happy to hear such great news, there’s undeniable concern about what comes after, especially since Second Brother Zhi’s announcement that he would be returning to his family for the time being.

As such, Cheng Kong finds himself in Master Wu’s private quarters alongside Third Brother Zun, both of them summoned there to receive instructions on how to proceed. And then

“Cheng Kong,” Master Wu says, placing a hand upon his shoulder. “This peak – and the sect’s martial arts training as a whole – is now your responsibility. Do not disappoint me.”

 


 

Cheng Kong is by no means the youngest Peak Lord in history – that honour belongs to another. However, with events playing out the way that they had, Cheng Kong had still ended up as one of the top martial artists of the sect. He isn’t a genius, though he isn’t about to deny that he possesses a certain degree of talent either. However, what had made the real difference in his case isn’t just a matter of talent but a matter of having great teachers.

As such, as a newly minted Peak Lord, Cheng Kong is determined to continue his latest master’s legacy and to strengthen the Windward Sect’s martial arts as a whole – because that clearly needs to be done. Cheng Kong knows this, because now, he has seen what the rest of the sect has to offer, and he isn’t particularly impressed by most of it.

Rumours of Peak Lord Jiao’s habit of dodging his duties in favour of frequenting brothels awakens Cheng Kong’s ire, and as such, he finally decides to set him straight.

It does take a while to find such an opportunity however, given that Peak Lord Jiao is so rarely at the Green Jade Peaks.

Today however would be different. Today, Cheng Kong would

 


 

“I don’t recall ever sanctioning you to discipline another Peak Lord, Peak Lord Cheng.”

“With all due respect, Sect Leader, that was

Just a spar. It had truly just been that; a spar. Granted, Cheng Kong might’ve disparaged Peak Lord Jiao for neglecting his martial arts afterwards, but still

Sect Leader Yeguang offers up a dismissive wave, not even deigning him a glance. “If you take issue with another Peak Lord’s conduct, then the matter is to be addressed by me, not you, Peak Lord Cheng.”

And that is true, technically speaking. Still “Are you really going to allow him to continue like this, Sect Leader? With this morally reprehensible conduct?”

He’s obviously out of line, but that in itself doesn’t make his concerns any less valid. He would take whichever punishment came afterwards without complaint, because this is all for the betterment of the sect.

“Yes, I am,” Sect Leader Yeguang says, shockingly blunt. “And so will you, unless you are prepared to challenge each and every Peak Lord that fails adhere to your ideals – which is to say all of them, myself included. If not, then you leave it be, understood?”

Cheng Kong bows his head, honestly much too shocked to do anything else.

“Besides,” the Sect Leader continues. “Brothels do offer more than physical gratification. If you’re curious about the specifics without wishing to experience one first-hand, then feel free to consult with Peak Lord Xiu. She was raised in one.”

 


 

Obviously, Cheng Kong harbours no such intentions – if for anything else, then for the very simple reason that he doesn’t know how to breach that particular topic. He’s also quietly appalled that Sect Leader Yeguang would just casually reveal such a thing – it seems quite crass and callous in many ways. Because no matter what Peak Lord Xiu thinks of her own past, it’s hardly Sect Leader Yeguang’s secret to reveal. However

“It’s not really a secret though,” Peak Lord Xiu says. “My father was a cultivator and my mother was a famous courtesan. If I hadn’t shown so much promise for cultivation, then I would’ve followed in my mother’s footsteps.”

She would’ve likely been quite successful too, especially at her prime, and the Emperor himself might’ve even taken an interest. And even without that, someone with her looks and skills and level of education would’ve likely been quite sought after over in the

“I am by no means ashamed of my origins,” Peak Lord Xiu says, cutting into Cheng Kong’s spiralling thoughts. “I might never have been a courtesan myself, like the elder sisters that raised me, but such is not the case for some of my disciples. Not everyone is like me, whose debt was paid off before I was old enough to start receiving customers – but that doesn’t mean that one is superior to the other. In a way, I might say that I was lucky, but in a way, I might also say that I would’ve found great success on that path. The Dao comes in many different forms after all.”

The Dao. The Way.

“Also, from my personal point of view, origins like mine can be a great boon” Peak Lord Xiu smiles. “In terms of Dual Cultivation, I would say that we are second to none. Would you like some pointers?”

 


 

Returning from a meeting that should’ve never taken place, his face feels hot. Cheng Kong walks briskly, determined to put additional distance in-between himself and Peak Lord Xiu’s peak before he mounts his sword. Mounting his sword right away would’ve obviously been much quicker, but feeling unbalanced, Cheng Kong had opted not to risk it.

And as fate would have it, this puts him in the direct path of Sect Leader Yeguang, who takes one look at his burning face and then just continues walking as if he hadn’t seen anything.

In a way, Cheng Kong is grateful that the other had decided to spare him any additional embarrassment.

At the same time though, he undeniably feels the sting of the casual dismissal.

 

2