18 – Was it really a wok?
47 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Sleep doesn’t come easily – and when Cheng Kong realises it won’t come, he goes outside to train, accompanied only by his trusted blade and the sounds of the night. And as he goes through the motions – the sword arts taught to him by the master now known to him as Jiao Zilei – he wonders if the other had ever taught them to any of his official disciples. Probably not, all things considered.

As for Wu Chengyi, Cheng Kong wonders if the man had indeed seen the shadow of Jiao Zilei’s swordsmanship in Cheng Kong’s movements, or if anyone else had seen it and then mentioned it to him. It’s hardly impossible after all, particularly when it comes to the Elders.

How many of them know? How many of them have been told? Do they know? How much do they know? What if Yi Yeguang doesn’t know and what if they told him? What if Yi Yeguang thought that Cheng Kong had been deceiving him – that he’d been aware this whole time? What then?

“You’ve got marvellous footwork,” Peak Lord Xiu had once told him.

“Have you ever been taught any style of dancing, Disciple Cheng?” she had once asked, knowingly – because she, alongside Master Wu, would’ve undoubtedly seen it – Jiao Zilei’s style superimposed upon another. And perhaps the two had even seen enough to identify the style that lay underneath that?

At one point, the possibility of such would’ve frozen the blood in his veins.

At this point however, enough years have passed for it not to matter – or at the very least, for it to matter a whole lot less. Because as Master – as Jiao Zilei – had once put it: What happens in the Jianghu typically stays in the Jianghu, and as for the outside of the Jianghu, the situation is largely the same.

Growing up, Cheng Kong had known little about the Jianghu. Cultivators weren’t exactly unheard of. However, they were oftentimes seen as a far more mystical beings than they were in reality – aloof immortals harbouring otherworldly strength and abilities that ruled the lands to the west – the lands that Cheng Kong had once known as the Borderlands, and that he now knows as his home.

Even now, he remembers them – his first stumbling steps into these lands, similar yet foreign all at once. But, having only just made it across the mountain range that functioned as the unofficial border, he hadn’t really been in a state of mind to enjoy it all, his body exhausted and his heart in turmoil. But he had also been relieved, so certain that his pursuers wouldn’t bother to seek him here – he had been wrong, of course, because even here, there were nobles, and others who had been appointed to positions or given lands to govern by the Emperor.

However, as a travelling merchant had graciously informed him, those governing this province weren’t simply beholden to the Imperial Court but also to the Jianghu – and particularly to powerful cultivation sects that they wouldn’t dare to offend.

As such, Cheng Kong’s next course of action was a given.

“Which sect is the strongest?”

As such, he had ended up at the Selection of the Lotus Leaf Sect, where he’d been tested, found lacking and summarily kicked out to fend for himself for reasons still not entirely clear to him. But in the end, Cheng Kong was grateful that things had turned out in such a way. Because if he had been accepted into the Lotus Leaf, then he would’ve missed out on a whole lot of things for sure – many people and many experiences. Granted, if he’d been a member of said sect, then perhaps he would’ve believed himself to be above such things?

If Cheng Kong had been someone from the White Flower Pond, then how would he have viewed someone like Yi Yeguang?

He would’ve judged him quite harshly, no doubt, and even more so considering recent events. Because now, they’ve ended up housing a prince of the Demon Realm, sired by one of their own and now married to another one of their own.

Granted, Bai Mingyue’s disciple has yet to be officially admitted into the sect. But it’s clear as day that Bai Mingyue intends to keep him, even if it means having to fraternise with demons and even Demon Realm royalty – that is, if Bai Mingyue had ever even been human to begin with, something that Cheng Kong rather doubts.

Executing his final manoeuvre, he comes to a standstill right beside the small pond in the inner yard – nothing he had put there for certain, and presumably not anything his predecessor had put there either. But no matter who had put it there, there it is, reflecting but a small portion of the starry skies above, and then Cheng Kong’s face as he leans over it.

Looking at it, he quietly wonders what truly lies there beneath the surface.

 


 

Come morning, Cheng Kong finds himself waiting outside the Sect Leader’s residence. He doesn’t want to be intrusive. Even so, he finds himself where he is, and he can tell that Yi Yeguang is still inside, even though the sun is already high up in the skies.

However, with the wards in place, Cheng Kong can only really wait and hope for the best. But even his patience has its limits, and considering everything, he finds himself far too ill at ease to leave the situation as it is.

As such, once morning passes, Cheng Kong finally makes up his mind and turns on his heel, determined not to waste any more time.

 


 

A short while later, he arrives at a location that he had long sought to avoid – and where he has never found himself particularly welcome to begin with. But even so, with the situation as it is, it honestly couldn’t be helped.

Steeling himself, Cheng Kong heads towards Peak Lord Bai’s residence, a place that he had scarcely ever visited and that holds no particularly fond memories to him.

In truth, he should’ve probably waited until someone acknowledged his presence. But again, enough time had already been wasted and Cheng Kong rather doubts that his arrival had passed by unnoticed – and with any luck, then he wouldn’t have to witness any of his fellow Peak Lords in a state of undress, or anyone else for that matter.

Still, as things would have it, Cheng Kong does manage to stumble upon a scene of something quite intimate, namely Youming Jun sprawled across the lap of Bai Mingyue’s disciple who has a book in one hand and the other resting atop the Demon Prince’s head, absentmindedly stroking it much like one would a cat.

As for the Demon Prince, the other appears to be resting quite peacefully – right up until he’s suddenly staring off into Cheng Kong’s direction, thereby drawing his partner’s attention there as well.

Bai Mingyue’s disciple doesn’t seem particularly fazed at the sight of him though, and greets him with a slight nod. Then he averts his eyes altogether, all while Youming Jun sits himself back up, eyeing Cheng Kong with a particular look in his eye that reminds Cheng Kong of Bai Mingyue.

Then, as if summoned by the mere thought of him, Bai Mingyue appears in the doorway, plunging temperatures providing a sure but brief forewarning of his arrival.

“What is your business here?” he asks, frigid tone indicating that he’s in fact asking Cheng Kong to go away and never come back – and Cheng Kong would certainly be glad to do just that, afterwards. However

“Peak Lord Bai, pardon this intrusion, but I have something urgent to discuss with you.”

Saying this, Cheng Kong bows his head, hoping to convey his deep sincerity. As for whether or not it succeeds, he is honestly unsure, but the cold finally lets up.

Cautiously, he lifts his head, catching a final glimpse of the disciple ushered into the Peak Lord’s residence before Bai Mingyue himself takes a step to the side with the obvious purpose of blocking Cheng Kong’s view.

Then, the current Peak Lord Bai promptly shuts the door behind them and asks: “What do you want?”

Cheng Kong takes a deep breath, steeling himself. He has to do this – for Yi Yeguang, and for his own peace of mind as well.

“Peak Lord Bai,” he says. “Again, pardon this intrusion, but... if it wouldn’t be too much trouble, then could you please go and check on Sect Leader Yeguang? At this hour, he has yet to emerge from his residence, and after last night’s events

He averts his eyes, but not before seeing Bai Mingyue’s glacial stare sharpen into something even more dangerous.

“Last night’s events?”

In the face of Bai Mingyue demanding answers, Cheng Kong finds that he can do little but confess to what he’d seen the previous night, even though he feels a bit iffy about ratting out his newly discovered senior martial brother like this. It’s still the truth though, and besides, the Demon Prince had also been present at the scene, so Bai Mingyue would’ve found out about it sooner or later anyway.

“Hoh?” the other says, and a quick glance confirms that Peak Lord Bai is positively glaring at him now. “And what was your part in all of this, Peak Lord Cheng?”

Those are his words, but what he’s really asking is undoubtedly “Why would you just stand there and do nothing about it then, you useless person?”

But Cheng Kong had honestly had his reasons, and

“Honestly” Bai Mingyue scoffs. “Let’s go then.”

The other clearly doesn’t want or need him there though, because as soon as they arrive outside the Sect Leader’s residence, Cheng Kong is dismissed. He finds that he doesn’t mind this an awful lot though. Because although he isn’t overly fond of Peak Lord Bai, he retains a firm belief in the other’s skills.

Now, he can only hope that Bai Mingyue’s presence here would alleviate rather than aggravate the Sect Leader’s emotional state.

And with this in mind, he returns to his own peak to take care of his other duties.

 


 

Cheng Kong isn’t sure what Bai Mingyue had said or done, but the following morning, he finds the Sect Leader working as usual – which is a relief. However, the longer he looks, the more alarmed he gets, because there’s a definite edge of viciousness to it all, and Cheng Kong is hardly the only one feeling it.

“Good morning, Peak Lord Cheng,” the other says, and for a brief moment, Cheng Kong wonders if he will be the next victim of the Sect Leader’s apparent ire – which would make sense, given the role that Cheng Kong had played in things. But instead, Yi Yeguang simply holds out a sealed scroll for him and states: “You have a new mission.”

 


 

A handful of missions follow over the next few months, none of them truly remarkable. If anything, then the number of incidents demanding any intervention seems to have dropped significantly, and the cases involving demons are practically non-existent – which is good, but also deeply unnerving.

It’s not the first time either, according to the records, and Cheng Kong seeks out another Elder to ask about such things directly – but this time around, he passes over Elder Wen in favour of another.

“Elder Huang,” he says, bowing his head. “Did the previous Peak Lord Bai really take down a calamity-class demonic beast with a cooking implement?”

Hearing the question, the old man smiles, deftly picking up another piece of confection and popping it into his mouth.

“It’s a well-known story,” he says, not even bothering to finish chewing. “Quite true as well. Had I not seen it with my own two eyes, then I would’ve hardly believed it myself. It certainly opened up my eyes to new possibilities as far as weapons go.”

Looking at the various constructs lining the walls, Cheng Kong doesn’t doubt it. Still “Was it really a wok?”

“It was,” Elder Huang readily affirms. “Quite dented after the fact, yes, but certainly easy enough to deal with afterwards.”

Afterwards?

“Of course.” Saying this, Elder Huang grins. “Why let such good metal go to waste after all? We put all of it to good use – calamity-class demonic beast included. Such a great blade – I can only dream of replicating it.”

“Great blade?”

Cheng Kong knows of only one blade associated with the Green Jade Peaks that could’ve warranted such a description, and that is the blade of Founder Yi, passed down through the line of succession and currently with Yi Yeguang – or is it? Granted, looks could be deceiving, and Yi Yeguang might just be more inclined to suppress the sword’s massive aura than his predecessor, but

“Unfortunately, I am now much too old to make any new swords,” Elder Huang sighs, offering up a helpless shrug. “Still, having two out of my three masterpieces survive this long isn’t that bad. But...”

He trails off, gaze becoming distant with remembrance. Then finally, he says: “It’s a shame, truly. Rèxīn might be in pieces now, but I’d still like to study them – it’s not every day that you come across a blade reforged using the body of its former wielder after all.”

It takes a good moment for the Elder’s words to register, and once they do, Cheng Kong feels the blood drain from his face. He feels faint, even sick, because even in his state of shock, he notices the old man casually selecting another piece of confectionery from the plate – the makeshift bribe that one of the man’s disciples had advised him to prepare. Because it isn’t just the fact that someone had apparently been killed and used to reforge their own sword – it had been a person that they had both known personally!

“Elder Huang,” Cheng Kong says, quite shocked. “If this one might inquire, where did you learn this piece of information?”

“Ah, give it a rest,” the old man immediately says, offering up a dismissive wave. “Speak plainly with me, youngster. What do you want to know?”

Huh. “Did Peak Lord Bai tell you?”

“He did not,” Elder Huang responds, leaning back. “I asked Zilei’s son, because I figured he’d know.”

Jiao Zilei’s son – in other words, Demon Prince Youming Jun. “And he told you, just like that?”

“He did,” the old man affirms, a satisfied smile playing on his lips. “He did, and quite readily so, as a matter of fact. Bribery can take you a long way, as you now see for yourself.”

Cheng Kong could indeed see that. That said however “What did you offer him?”

“Him?” Elder Huang chuckles, then shakes his head. “I offered him nothing. But I did offer his partner a few things – protective talismans and whatnot – and the brat hardly had any face to ask me for anything after that.”

Hearing this, Cheng Kong cannot help but frown. Because “They let you in?”

The old man barks out a laugh. “Of course, they let me in,” he says. “I was invited.”

Invited, huh? “When?”

The old man’s eyes practically twinkle at that. “Oh, some months ago,” he says. “To keep out unwanted visitors and whatnot.”

Oh. “I see.”

It would seem as though Cheng Kong’s earlier transgression had not at all been forgotten.

“A wise decision on his part,” Elder Huang says. “We’ve got interesting times ahead of us.”

 

2