Chapter Three – The Shrine on Wolf Mountain
1.2k 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The singing and chirping of birds carried through the crisp cool morning air breeze as Eida leisurely walked her way up the tree-flanked and rock-littered path that led to the summit of Wolf Mountain.

Even though no one had ever seen a wolf on the mountain, nearly all the villagers assumed Wolf Mountain was named so because it was (or at minimum had once been) inhabited by wolves. Parents perpetuated this myth by telling their children to stay away from the mountain or they risked being eaten by wolves. But according to Eida's mother, none of that was true. 

When Eida was a little girl, her mother had told her the real reason behind the mountain's name was because of the futa moon goddess, Pia -- who was not only famous for hunting with a wolf at her side but also known to transform into a wolf herself during full moons -- was conceived in the shrine located at the top of the mountain. 

But when Eida explained to the other village children what her mother had told her about the reason behind the mountain's name, they all laughed and made fun of her. They said the story couldn’t be true because there was no way a futa goddess as great as Pia, the moon huntress, had anything to do with their tiny backwater village. After Eida insisted the story was true because she had heard it from her mother and her mother wasn't a liar, the children sought out the authority on all things Futa in the village, the Futa Priestess, Zussu. To Eida's embarrassment, Zussu sided with the other children, claiming there existed no legends or histories of Pia being associated with the mountain or the village in any way.

Eida returned to her mother with tears in her eyes, telling her how all the children and Zussu had mocked her for the story about Pia and the mountain. Eida's mother had simply said, "Don't pay them any mind, especially Zussu. Futa priestesses know very little about the true nature of the Futas." 

Eida's mother was always discounting the Futa priestesses and their ways, calling them all corrupt and charlatans, and instead instructing Eida in what she called the old and correct ways of Futa worship. To this day, Eida held onto those beliefs that her mother imparted into her, even the negative ones about the Futa priestesses and their rituals. 

Either way, Eida was happy for the villager's assumptions about wolves roaming the mountainside. Thanks to that superstition Eida was one of the few villagers who dared hiked up it, and on mornings like these when she needed to clear her head, she was happy for the solitude.

The well-worn footpath that Eida was following up the mountainside barely showed any evidence of its existence. Thanks to a state of disuse, the trail had all but eroded away, making it nearly indistinguishable from the dirt and leaf-littered topography of the mountain face. But to the keen eye, or to eyes like Eida's who knew what to look for, the trace of the mountain trail was still visible, if albeit barely. Even in its state of disintegration, Eida followed the path easily, for it was a path she had traversed over innumerable times ever since she was a little girl, when her mother had first walked her up to the mountain top to visit the shrine that was located at the path's terminus.

It was still that time of morning when the afternoon sun is yet a long way off when Eida reached the mountain summit. The fresh smell of sea salt wafted through the air, dew drops still clung to the blades of grass that poked their green tips up around her sandaled feet, and out in the harbor, which the mountain top provided a glorious view of, only a few fishing boats, those of the early risers, bobbed on the seawaters as they cast their nets. 

It was a shame the shrine wasn't visited by more villagers, Eida thought as her gaze took in the sea, the harbor, the coastline, the village, and the wall of forest trees that stood behind the village. It was an amazing view. Not only were villagers missing out on a religious rite, but they were also missing a sight of what was truly spectacular scenery. Every time Eida looked down from the mountaintop at all the beautiful nature below, she felt blessed and humbled to have the experience. 

Turning away from the view she approached the shrine. The shrine was dedicated to the holy trinity of the Futa goddesses - Arvena, the Queen of the Futas, Jalene, her sister-wife, and Pia, their firstborn.

The shrine was a fusion of natural wonder and material simplicity. It was made of a simple wooden house that stood on top of a giant raised stone surface. The stone surface was like a flat tabletop supported by a ten-foot stone stem. It was like a thick stone tree trunk rising ten feet into the air, with a flat square of stone resting on top of the trunk. Circling the stone stem was a spiraling stone stairwell that led to the edge of the square. 

When Eida was a little girl she had been awestruck (and still till this day was) at the sight of the strange stone structure. "What's that, Mommy?" she asked 

"It's called, 'The Bed of the First Futa Fuck'," her mother had replied. "In the days of old, long before the goddesses had settled on Mt. Futanari, the first futas, Arvena and Jalene her sister-wife, were being persecuted by the evil primordial King of Darkness, Zyn. Zyn looked all over the earth for Arvena and Jalene in order to kill them, but he could not find them. Tired of searching for Arvena and Jalene, Zyn came up with a plan to kill them without having to find them. He decided he would flood the whole earth and Arvena and Jalene would get caught up in the waters and drown to death. To escape the flood, Arvena and Jalene built this giant stone bed that was just high enough to be out of the reach of the water. And one night during a full moon, they made love for the first time here on the stone bed, and the result of that lovemaking was their first daughter, Pia, the goddess of the moon. 

"The wooden house you see that sits atop of the giant stone bed is a shrine in remembrance of those three goddesses," Eida's mother continued," Eida's mother continued. "It was built by the villagers long ago before the sisterhood of futa priestesses even existed. Even though it is hundreds of years old, thanks to the grace and power of the futa goddesses, the wooden walls of the shrine do not fall or decay. And because the stone it sits upon was the site of the first futa conception, it is said that any couple who makes love inside the shrine will be guaranteed to become pregnant. In fact," her mother smiled, "your father and I conceived you here."

Hearing from her mother that she was conceived in the very same spot that the futa moon goddess, Pia, was conceived had the effect of making the shrine even more special and personal for Eida. It was for that reason ever since she was a little girl, not a week went by without her visiting the shrine at least once. 

The words about guaranteed conception for couples who made love in the shrine never left Eida's memory either, and as the years had gone by without her and Asio having a child she brought up the idea of them making love in the shrine as a solution to their lack of children. Asio was doubtful about the whole guaranteed pregnancy thing, but both of them desperately wanted children, so he humored Eida and went up with her one night to the shrine. 

The idea was for them to have a romantic evening in the shrine full of wine, candlelight, and lovemaking, but instead, the night had turned into a disaster. The first thing to go wrong was when they were ascending the mountain, Asio tripped and fell, causing him to drop and break the wine bottle they had brought with them before they even had a chance to open it. Next, when they finally reached the shrine, got the candles lit, and attempted to make love, Asio was unable to get an erection. He said it was too cold in the drafty shrine. Then Eida made matters worse when she replied snidely, "I bet if I was Zussu you wouldn't have a problem getting it up." 

After that, an argument ensued, with Asio calling the whole idea of making love in the wooden shrine stupid and storming off back down the mountain. Eida followed behind, the two of them cursing each other all the way back home. The evening had been so bad that it took a full week for them to finally apologize to one another and get back on to speaking terms. 

Even now, as Eida mounted the stone stairs to the shrine, she remembered how pissed she had been about the whole ordeal. Just like now how she was pissed about Asio calling our Zussu's name as she had been giving him the blowjob. Eida sighed dejectedly, as she reached the summit of the stairs and stepped onto the flat stone surface. Would things ever be right between her and Asio, she wondered. 

She decided that hope for a happier marriage would be the subject of her prayer today as she walked towards the wooden structure with the bread offering in her hand. But as she reached the entrance of the shrine she stopped still. 

The door to the shrine was shut. How strange? Eida thought. In all the times she had been up to visit the shrine, the door had never been shut. 

Had someone else besides herself recently visited the shrine? She became nervous. Even though the door was shut, a sixth sense told her there was a presence on the other side of the door. A cautious voice inside of her told her not to open the door, because whoever it was on the other side was dangerous. But there was another voice inside her also, the voice of curiosity, and it was begging for her to open the door. Curiosity overcame her caution and she put her hand to the door, pushing it slowly inward. 

Inside the shrine it was dark and she saw nothing at first. Then suddenly there was movement and whatever was moving was coming for her and coming fast. She took a step backward and in the next instant, the thing she had seen moving in the darkness appeared in the light of the doorframe. 

Eida couldn't believe her eyes - it was a wolf! Not just any wolf, but a HUGE wolf. Its coat was silver and black, its eyes a piercing shade of jade, and its bared fangs long, sharp, and menacing. 

After a lifetime of doubting the existence of wolves on Wolf Mountain, Eida was stunned to see one growling and snarling at her, and eyeing her like a piece of meat. The wolf for its part was anything but stunned. It looked angry. Or was that hunger in its eyes? 

The wolf took a slow step forward and Eida a step backward. 

"Easy boy," Eida said, raising one hand in a gesture of peace and offering the loaf of bread she held with the other. "Are you hungry?"

The wolf took another slow, deliberate, and menacing step towards Eida. Eida stepped back once again. 

"Okay, wolfie, just stop right there," Eida pleaded. "You don't want to eat me," Eida held out the bread again. "Eat this instead. It tastes much better than me."

The wolf ignored Eida's offer and kept inching closer and closer towards Eida as she kept stepping further and further backward. Then with one final step backward, Eida had run out of the surface to step on, and she stepped off backward into the open air, off the flat stone slab, falling backward ten feet through the air. When she landed, she hit the earth below with a thud and everything went black. 

 

13