Chapter 23: Rum
153 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They made it to Myrna on the first day of the snowfall. They found that there was nothing to do once they got there. There was a squad of healers actually doing their jobs after a wave of protests had rocked Mitestone.

On all corners of the street, people sold mana water filters and blood root sludge. As with any other trading campaign, this had been an invitation for charlatans.

Edwin saw more than one mana filter with no runes and more than one blood root sludge that was actually sewer waste. He had reported every merchant he saw that abused the pandemic, but more sprouted from the streets of Myrna every day.

As it was winter and the roads were blocked with snow and ice, they had rented an apartment at the inn and left their carriage and horses at the community stable. Edwin did not want to just stay and do nothing, so he went to the nearest clinic and offered his services.

The head healer there, a dwarf by the name of Annabelle Connors, had welcomed him and given him a letter by mayor Louis Monter. Edwin was a first class citizen once more, but the mayor had warned him not to pull any stunts, since he was not going to sponsor him a second time.

While Edwin did diagnostic work, general healing and surgeries, Hadrian was training up the three boys in the art of fighting. Even Luciano, who was getting a bit too good at answering questions and thus eating a lot of candy per day.

That separated Edwin from the four. The clinic was open only during the day, and so he slept during the night. He did do his best to go and spend some time with his friends, no, his family, but only a couple of hours each night before they went to the training grounds.

Then, one morning, Hadrian had come back with three sneezing boys and a sheepish smile on his face.

“What did you do, Hadrian?” Asked Edwin, more than a little riffled.

“We had a snowball fight, and we might have rolled around in the snow for a couple of hours. But the kids needed a reward. Last night, Ben stole a coin from my front pocket without me noticing and Rael swung his sword for a two thousand times, which is a record. And Lucy here made an entire story about a scholar named Cere, something, that had two spheres. What are you teaching that kid, by the way?” Asked Hadrian, trying to take Edwin’s attention off the warpath.

“The brain is Lucy’s favorite subject. All three, come here. I will check you out before going to work,” Said Edwin, and he took out three thermometers from his side pouch.

“Hold them to your armpits. Don’t touch the tips,” said Edwin, and the three did as told. Edwin went and placed a hand on Hadrian’s forehead.

“What are you doing, Eddy?” Asked Hadrian, amused that despite Edwin being angry at him, he still cared enough for him to see to his health.

“Necromantic mana is not poisonous to vampires and the undead in general. Not that simple diagnostic spells can’t be done with any kind of mana. You don’t seem to be having a fever. But just to be on the safe side, I will make you some mint tea.” Said Edwin, going towards the kitchen to get the kettle ready for five cups.

“Eddy, how long do we need to stay with the glass stick under our armpits? It is uncomfortable,” asked Ben, his voice a little on the whining side.

“To hear you speak, one will think you have never used thermometers before,” called Edwin from the kitchen.

“Ok, take them out. And remember, don’t touch the tips,” said Edwin as he let the kettle heat up.

“Ok, Ben has a temperature 36 grad and Luciano and Rael have 36.5 and 37, respectively,” said Edwin, happy that they didn’t have a fever.

“I won! I won!” Said Rael, jumping up and down, and pumping his fists up and down.

“It is not a competition. You are the most in the risk of getting sick. No going to the training yard for you tonight. Healer’s orders,” said Edwin as he flicked the boy’s nose.

Then he went back to the kitchen and got the warm water and filled the five cups with it. He watched as the last of their mint, the same one he had gotten from the travelling merchant a week ago, floated to the service and filled the room with its fresh scent.

Then, he took a knife and cut himself over one of the cups. Hadrian couldn’t drink liquids unless they had water in them, and he was unable to eat food at all. It was a good thing that Edwin could heal himself with his mana because he didn’t feel like asking for Hadrian’s.

Hadrian was probably tired from a night of playing and if he was depleted by even a small amount he could get sick. And a sick vampire was a nightmare to deal with, even for a necromancer. All the snot, all the spittle, all the, and that was most likely only in Harry’s case, whining.

To worsen it, vampires didn’t have an immune system. Them being dead and all. It would be soaking feet in warm water with sea salt and piles upon piles of blankets, plus regular cuts on Edwin’s skin for teas and mana infusions.

And the worst thing was, Hadrian would suffer through it all. Oh, sure, he would joke and tease. Probably calling Edwin a mother hen. But he would be uncomfortable and Edwin did not want to see his best friend, who had been demoted and promoted to the role twice by now, in such a state.

Edwin handed the tea to Hadrian and the vampire smiled.

“Would Eddy put some rum in his tea?” Asked Hadrian, knowing full well that will cause an avalanche from the children.

“I want rum too, Eddy!” Said Ben, hands already reaching towards the bottle the innkeeper had given them and that Edwin used to make pancake sauce.

“You are not drinking under my roof! Ever!” Said Edwin, taking the bottle and putting it in a cupboard that was out of Ben’s reach.

“Eddy, when will you make us pancakes again?” Asked Luciano, even the sly one.

“Oh…” Said Edwin, finally realizing his folly. “From now on, only caramel sauce with the pancakes.”

All three boys groaned as Hadrian snickered. That bottle was so getting thrown out when Edwin went to work.

16