Chapter 84: To stop the spread part 2
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 The treatment for mana ailments was a simple one. You put your mana in the circulation of the patient. And you pushed the bad mana out. In this case, Edwin had written, the mana pathways around the Lich mana had to be clogged.

Everyone knew how to clog their mana pathways. Or, at least, healers, warriors, and rogues knew, for different reasons. The more you clogged your pathways, the more mana would build up and the wider they will become.

But, to clog them to the point of them never opening up? That required a scalpel. So, here Hadrian was, with Paulina under an anesthesia and a scalpel in hand. With Marisa looking at him critically.

“Are you certain in what you are attempting to do?” Hadrian sent her a lopsided smile that didn’t make her mind at ease.

He was wearing healer scrubs from the clinic, and he pressed the scalpel on the skin of Paulina Miz. Then, he looked at the diagrams Edwin had sent him. Blissfully not wrinkled because Hadrian didn’t give them to mayor Miz to read.

So, he needed to cut out a circle to the bone. Ok, he could do that. He double-checked to see if he was cutting at the appropriate place, and then did what every rogue could.

Hours later, all the mana spots were clogged and the skin over them was mended. Paulina Miz would forever be weaker than most, but she was not an adventurer. Hadrian didn’t see the problem with her needing help with certain things that would require mana.

“I can’t believe it. Harry is a healer,” Marisa had a hand over her mouth and her eyes were as big as saucers.

“Yes, I am. As awesome as someone could expect from a Polites clan member! I need to write to Paul and tell him I operated on a living, breathing, person! Maybe then he will give me the clan name for a last name,” Hadrian didn’t let it bother him, most days, but he was envious of Fernand.

Not for the miserable way the vampire died, but for having the clan name as a last name. Paul had always favored his blood brother and Hadrian felt that this time, his sire would be proud of him.

“Are you certain that you can contact your sire? You are harboring the person who killed one of his children,” reminded him, Marisa and Hadrian wilted.

“I’ll explain that Fernand was being his prissy self and that Eddy had no choice but to kill him. I am certain that is what happened,” Edwin had been vague on why Fernand attacked him. But Hadrian knew that Fernand was someone with a short fuse. He must be to blame for his death, not Eddy.

“And why haven’t you done so already?” That was a valid question. Hadrian had been so busy with everything, that it had simply slipped his mind.

“I was busy, ok? Had four children to rise. Five, if we count Daniel,” they shared a laugh and someone groaned. Turning around, Hadrian saw that Paulina was coming to.

“Hey, pretty lady, how are you this,” Hadrian checked the old grandfather clock on the wall. It was three pm. “Afternoon?”

Paulina looked at her stitched together skin and sighed.

“I look like a badly stitched sock,” then she looked Hadrian in the eyes. “Is it done? I am no longer a danger for everyone, am I?”

“You are not,” nodded Hadrian. He was proud of his work, even if he was criticized by his first patient. “You will need to take it easy while your wounds mend. And you may never remove the stitches. Sorry for them being slightly crocked. I did my best, but…”

“Battle scars are better than death,” Paulina stood up and flexed her arm. “I think I am ready to try eating cooked food without barfing. If I can, then this nightmare is over, is it not?”

“It sure is, Missus Miz,” smiled at her Marisa as she spoke. “And you were very brave, if I might add.”

“If I was braver, I would have researched the side effects of someone coming back to life,” came the stern reply. Then, when Paulina saw both Hadrian and Marisa continue to stare at her, she smiled. “I have been quite the hard patient, have I not? Let us go to the kitchen. I got Podger to buy blood for the good healer and the best cheese there is for us ladies.”

At the promise of food, Hadrian perked up, and he got behind Paulina, tapping his foot and eagerly waiting for her to lead them. Paulina smiled at his enthusiasm and moved elegantly through the door of the basement, where the secret operation had taken place, and towards the kitchen.

They found Podger Miz at the stairs with little Edwin sleeping by his side.

“You should have tucked him in for his nap,” chastised Paulina.

“He wanted to see his mother. You mean the world to him. To both of us,” there was an unspoken plea that Podger was too proud to voice. But Paulina caught up to it and dashed his hopes.

“You will never pull this stunt again. My life will not be paid for with the death of those around me,” her voice was soft, as if she felt it would be better not to say something in front of the two newcomers.

“She has liver disease! Fatty liver, the doctors called it. She recently lost weight, but the liver hasn’t gotten better!” Podger gripped Hadrian’s hand and looked at him pleadingly. “Heal her, healer.”

“Oh, there is an easy fix to that,” how different could Daniel’s alcohol damaged liver be from this fatty liver thing? “Tell me, Paulina, do you like smoothies?”

“I do?” Her statement came more as a question, and Hadrian greened.

“Then you will be happy to drink them twice a day. The liver can regenerate up to 80% of its mass, did you know that? You will have to exercise too. Anything else that ails you?”

Both of the Miz family members shook their heads. The crinkles around their eyes were gone, and they looked less tired. Hey, maybe Hadrian was a better healer then he gave himself credit for. If he brought his patients’ comfort.

2