Chapter 106: Training part 1
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Edwin chanced a look at his two shadows that were facing off against a horde of shambling corpses, courtesy of Maxwell and Hunt. He paid for this slip of attention with a kick that nearly connected to his stomach.

“Quit babying him! Make your strikes count, Polites!” Snapped Hunt from the viewer’s sit. There was a small crowd cheering on the shadow vs walking corpses match below. And Edwin had to both fight Harry and keep them hidden from the spectators.

He breathed in deeply and then charged at Harry, who sidestepped and went to hold him in his arms.

“Dead?” Asked Hadrian more than stated.

“I think that was enough for one day,” agreed Edwin, breathing heavily. The surrounding arms moved lower and Edwin hid them from Maxwell and Hunt, too. Hadrian supported Edwin as they kissed and then, when they were done, Edwin let go of the illusion.

“Don’t think I don’t know what you two just did,” said Hunt with a wolfish grin. Edwin bowed his head, but he was grinning too.

“Can I watch the battle now?” Asked Edwin as Hunt nodded. The shadows were doing well, but then again, they were shadows, and they had more intelligence, enough to fight as a team, than the walking corpses. As the shadow that looked like Hadrian began playing with a head, Edwin turned to look at him.

“You have been teaching them to be more like you,” accused Edwin.

“Sure have, they were boring, Eddy! Look how shadow Eddy is looking at shadow Harry. Like he wants to go and box him on the ears,” Edwin leaned into Hadrian and sighed.

“Not box in, no. Maybe tug his ear because he is behaving like a child,” a corpse went behind shadow Edwin and bit it on the arm. Shadows couldn’t feel pain, but it got it angry, and it hissed at the corpse before making the bit arm into a saw and staring it. The crowd cheered at the gore.

“Is this the usual Alanqian entertainment?” Edwin asked and a demon below his seat snorted.

“Fancy vampires and their tastes,” spoke the imp, and he cheered as another corpse’s head flew. He flew and caught it midair. Waving it around like a trophy. 

“You have to understand, Roberts, that if you want to be celebrated as a Boliarin here you have to respect our customs,” said the Nosferatu angel. Edwin got an idea.

“Maxwell, is it true that Nosferatu angels were the cause for the creation of all vampires?” The myths surrounding that were vague, at best, and Edwin had been curious ever since he met Harry.

“It is. But we don’t look on your kind as one of us. More like unwanted ghouls without a master,” said Maxwell and Hadrian bristled.

“We are just as good, if not better. Otherwise, you would have wiped us all out,” hissed Hadrian and Edwin placed a calming hand on his shoulder.

“That is true,” spoke Hunt in a voice barely above a whisper. Some vampires were sending him and Maxwell dirty looks. “But, without us to make first generation vampires every so often, your race would have gone extinct. You are what? Fifth generation? Do you know in how much pain the average low-level vampire is?”

Hadrian knew. And he wanted to avoid being truly cursed, like let’s say, a tenth generation one. But he still found that the two Nosferatu were stepping out of line.

“I bet I can defeat you both,” said Hadrian and Hunt barked a laugh.

“You are on. Bring the healer with you. You’ll need the help. Two on one is something we do only against fellow necromancers,” said Hunt and Maxwell nodded.

“Do you remember how we had to go up against Lambert during the Durian Spring?” Asked Hunt Maxwell as they began to descent the stairs to the arena.

“Yes, and he still won. Do you think his heir will be just as good?” Both burst out laughing and Edwin got the desire to club them both over the heads. He might just have to. For this was an honor duel.

The fight was as merciless as it was quick and Edwin grew to appreciate Hadrian all the more. He had ended up standing by the side as Hadrian dealt with the two necromancers. As Hunt was laid flat on his back, Maxwell raised his hands in defeat.

“You never fight like that against Roberts,” grunted Hunt as the crowd was cheering from above.

“Of course not, I love Eddy. Now, what do you have to say about vampires?” The harsh look on Hadrian’s face didn’t suit him, Edwin realized with a start.

“That you, in particular, are an exceptional fighter. But, if it was against our legions, you would have lost,” then, much to Edwin’s relief, Hadrian became sheepish.

“True that. However, it would have been hardly a fair fight. And you don’t bring unfairness to an honor duel,” the two Nosferatu nodded and Edwin was relieved that this was all between them.

“Seeing as neither of you are winded, proceed training,” ordered Maxwell and he and Hunt went up the viewing stand.

“Harry, don’t hold back on me…” Edwin was raised by his shirt in the air and looking around, stunned.

“Maxwell gave the start sign,” said Hadrian apologetically, putting Edwin down. Edwin decided, for his pride, to put the illusion back on. The snickers that had tugged at his ears had colored them red.

This time, Hadrian didn’t hold back and Edwin valued every time he managed to side step him all the more. When the clock chimed seven pm, Edwin was covered in sweat, but dodging better. He didn’t even attempt to raise his hand at Hadrian.

A foot neared his head and he blinked. When he looked around Hadrian was perfectly still.

“Thank you for stopping, Harry,” said Edwin, relieved that he wouldn’t have to go around with brain damage. But, when Hadrian didn’t answer him, he noticed that everything around him had stopped moving.

3