Chapter 4: Find the Part-time Job
73 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abony's POV

At night, the temperature rose to prepare for some heavy rains. I could not sleep because my father snored louder than the crickets in the yard. Morover, his voice disturbed my mind, and I sat up unconsciously.

“As long as you use my money, you have to listen to me.”

Crept out of the blanket, I moved closer to the little parrot. After looking out of the window, the moon was bright and beautiful today.

Wait, what were his words mean? Oh, I could see. If neither I used his money nor needed to obey anymore. That was right, I'll be free. I would take my brush and draw amazing pictures.

“That day is not so far, Chi-Chi!” I looked at the cage.

If money could solve the problem, I must go make money; I would go find a job, then bought drawing tools.

Freedom, I was coming!

***

Noon at 12:30 A. M on August 8th

Abony's POV

Washed the dishes and then put them on a tray to drain; something was burning in my heart. Bolted to the bathroom to change into my school uniform. Stepping out of the bathroom, I slunk to the door.

“Rub! You're so pretty today. You hate tutoring so much. So why are you so excited now?” my father exclaimed in surprise.

Excited, of course, I would go find a job and got out of your arms.

“I am going to school, bye-bye, dad.” Put my shoes on and turned to look at my father and could feel the satisfaction in his deep eyes, I replied.

“Okay. Have a good day!” The corner of his lips curved while he looked at me with a proud face.

Hmm, a tutoring class? It took me a long time at a boring place.

After I walked out of the house, the sound of birds chirping on the branches of the old tree. Walking in the alleys, I saw herds of dairy cows running around. A smile appeared on my lips, and the sun began to creep into my hair. Two rows of trees on the side of the road were full of flowers, and I turned into a small alley.

Stopped in front of a department store, pushed open the door, and asked the cashier if the place needed hiring. But he replied that they were not hiring any more staff.

Tried another place, this time a flower store where the owner had long brown hair and wore round glasses. The woman was sitting on the porch while watering the flowers and singing. I approached her and asked if she needed a shop assistant, and she replied that she did not.

...

In no time, it was time to go home. I passed a field of sunflowers, the red sunset peeking out from behind the hill. I asked for more than ten places, nevertheless, none needed part-time employees. Most of them hired full-time workers or had no need to hire employees.

Would my part-time job plan come to an end here? No! Too early to give up now. My stomach rumbled with hunger, perhaps I should get home before the sky got dark.

...

Day by day passed like that. In the morning, I went to class to attend the curricular time while skipping the remedial category in the afternoon to look for a job from noon until sunset. Notwithstanding, I still had not gotten any results because this town did not need part-timers like me.

...

Evening at 19:00 on August 15th.

It got a week since I started looking for a job. It was already dark, and the street lights lit up the despair in my eyes.

So was all hope really gone?

My footsteps were getting heavier. Turned to walk back home, sweat making my hair sticky. Ordinary, The warm yellow light of a restaurant turned on caught my attention. In front of the restaurant was a fortune tree. Diners ate and chatted at a few wooden tables outside. Looking up while I could see the words “Paradise Restaurant” in black covered with electric lights. But what caught my eyes was the recruitment poster posted in front of the restaurant. My heart trembled with joy then I could not wait to push the door opened and entered.

Inside the restaurant, soft melodious music along with warm yellow lights. Decorating a family-style, diners filled all the tables and enjoyed chatting. A tall, gentle-faced waiter approached me. He asked if he could help me, and I replied that I stood here to apply for a job. Hearing that, the employee took me to a separate room.

This was an ordinary office decorated in white. Sitting behind the table, the woman has brown skin, shoulder-length black hair, and wears a pink suit. The platinum earrings made her stand out even more. The employee told the woman why I was in there. At the same time, I bowed while her gaze swept over me. The employee walked out and closed the door, leaving me bewildered and nervous.

“Sit down, please.”

The woman reached for the cushioned chair in front of me, and I nodded and sat down. She introduced herself as Rose, the manager of the restaurant. Ms. Rose started asking fundamental questions about my age and when I could get the job. Accordingly, I made it clear that I had never done this job before and only did it part-time. But I promised to master the job after an apprenticeship for a week.

My hands started to sweat, and my whole body stiffened. I needed the job, so I mustered up the courage to promise like that. Ms. Rose thought for a moment. Finally, she accepted me and set a trial date. I said we could start tomorrow, and she agreed. I held her hand and bowed my head in thanks.

Out of the restaurant, I jumped with excitement. I finally found a job that could be better than a money-making plan. I returned home with endless joy, dancing and singing as I walked.

...

After I got home, my father stood with his arms crossed in front of the door. A serious expression on his face made me frightened.

“Why did you go to school and go home this time?” my father frowned.

“I got study group with my friends.” I rolled my eyes to the lights in the front yard.

“Do you have friends to study with? And since when did you become diligent?” Father looked me straight in the eyes.

Sweat poured down my face as I searched for a lie to answer his question. If he found out that I was truant, my life here would be over. The dream of freedom disappeared forever.

What should I do?

1