Chapter 25
4 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Constantine arrayed the four babies in a circle, he placed four toys in the middle. Each child reached out and took one. Francis was staring at the other three with wide eyes and was even smiling slightly. He turned to Katyusha and pressed the toy to her cheek.

Constantine grinned at that and left the three to their play. He sat on the desk and began to write, throwing a glimpse at the four every so often. When it was about noon, Natalia hugged Ivan and the two dosed off. Francis scooted closer to Katyusha and hugged her, to which the baby teared up.

Seeing this, Constantine stood up and went to see what this was about. Katyusha’s nappy was clean, and he had fed the four an hour ago. He had no idea why she began to cry, suddenly. Someone took the baby girl from Constantine’s arms and began to shush her. Constantine saw that it was Kyla.

“She gets like this when she is tired,” said Kyla fondly as he began to sing his daughter to sleep. Constantine watched on and saw that Francis was waving his little hands around.

Byzantine went and picked him up and placed him closer to Ukraine. Francis took a hold of her tiny hand and smiled.

“I think Francis is in love,” joked Constantine as Kyla regarded the two.

“He is a bit too old for her. He is what? Fifty?” Asked Kyla and Constantine was quick to correct him.

“Twenty-five. But what does it matter? They look the same age. And your Ivan and Natalia are very close too. You are very lucky that your children get along,” Kyla nodded, and he looked at his two other children with a small smile on his lips.

“Natalia has always been a hugger,” said Kyla and he went and put Katyusha in her cradle and, after a bit of consideration, he placed Francis in there as well. “Sleep tight.”

Kyla kissed each of their foreheads and placed the blanket over them. Then, he went and picked Ivan and Natalia. He placed them in the other cradle and took Constantine’s arm.

“Come on, my children will sleep for about four hours. I will have their wet nurse watch the four,” and a tall Bulgarian woman came in and sat on the desk without so much as a word.

Kyla led Constantine out, and they made it to the gardens. It was bright outside and the birds were singing. As they sat on a bench, Kyla began to speak.

“I have been thinking about your proposal,” said Kyla as he leaned into Constantine. “I accept.”

Constantine knew he would, but he guessed that it had been Constantine’s care for the man’s children that had sealed the deal.

“So, my father must be here for the wedding. And I will not take your last name,” Constantine was proud of his own last name and his status as an heir to his father. He was not going to trade that.

“And I won’t take yours, and neither will my children,” said Kyla with a nod. “But you will move to live with me.”

“I have to rule my territory in two years,” said Constantine and Kyla looked at him quizzing.

“Your father is unwell?” That made Constantine’s heart tighten. It was a reality he didn’t want to face. His father hadn’t looked so well yesterday when he had come from Britannia for the triumph of Julius Caesar. He had been pale, and he had spent the entire reception sitting down, barely eating anything.

“He will die in two years,” said Constantine in a sad tone. “Then, I will be Rome.”

“But you are Byzantine, not Rome. It will damage you to keep up the ruse,” said Bulgaria and Constantine became thoughtful.

“I won’t do it for long. I intend to give my brothers all their land soon. But to make the transition easier, I would have to take things slow,” Kyla picked up a flower from the gardens and offered it to Constantine.

“Purple, your favorite color,” Constantine chuckled and took the flower. It was tiny and was from a bush. On a whim, he placed it in his hair.

“How do I look?” Asked Constantine, blinking his long eyelashes at Kyla.

“Like a vision,” said Kyla and he placed an arm around Constantine’s waist. “So, you can’t move in with me?”

“I am sorry Kyla, but you will have to move in with me. If it is any consolation, I will get myself a manse, and you wouldn’t need to see my vampire mentors,” Kyla hummed deep in his throat and Constantine decided that the matter was as good as settled.

“And, when is that?” Constantine had just come up with the idea, so, he didn’t know. Still, he answered.

“As soon as possible. I’ll make sure there is a big garden for the children to play in. You don’t mind me raising Francis with our children, do you?” Kyla looked like he could melt after Constantine had said “our children”. He kissed Constantine slowly on the lips and nodded.

“I’d love to have another baby brother. Ak grew up so quickly that I had no chance to baby him properly,” Constantine imagined Kyla attempting to baby Ak, who could have passed for the man’s twin, and smiled.

“Francis is a young man. He won’t appreciate baby talk,” said Constantine. Francis couldn’t talk yet, but he understood a lot. He had twenty-five years on this Earth. And he had lessons, just as Constantine.

“I’ll melt his defenses,” said Kyla, sure of himself. Then, he slightly tickled Constantine’s sides. “How does the wedding at Sunday sound? And I’ll get the manse. I won’t have you ask Beshter for money.”

“I have my money, you know,” said Constantine with a huff.

“Yes, but Beshter holds on to them,” countered Kyla and Constantine had to agree. Now that he was a man grown, he supposed he could get his assets back. But for now, he would spend a pleasant afternoon with Kyla, and then he would have him watch over the children together with Constantine.   

1