Chapter 34
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Kyla came back, he had a beard on his face. Constantine went to his husband and patted it.

“This, dear husband, has to go. You look like a barbarian, Kyla,” Kyla grinned bashfully and leaned in for a kiss, but then, Constantine pulled away.

“Not with that rat’s nest on your face. Shave first. I’ll have a servant see to you,” and Constantine went further in the manse. Kyla took out the little neck warmer he had made from the rabbit pelt, a month ago, and went to the baths.

It was nice being able to have a long soak, Kyla figured. Soon, a barber came by and Kyla had to, begrudged, get out of the water and put on a tunic. It was a beige one, the merchant, Marcus, having talked him into getting one.

“Dominos, how would you like me to trim your beard?” Asked the barber.

“Clean shave. My husband won’t settle for less,” and so, Kyla made peace with the fact that he would go back to being baby faced. His beard was off after an hour, and he looked at his reflection in the water.

“Much better,” said Constantine as he was staying by the door with two servants behind him. “I brought you visitors. Now that you won’t scare them.”

Kyla looked at the bundles in Constantine’s hands. His children, plus little Francis. Ivan had grown, and so had Katyusha. But Natalia was still in swaddling’s. Kyla frowned at that.

“Has someone taken claim to her territory?” Asked Kyla as he pointed at his daughter.

“She keeps giving it to Ivan. Fortunately, Augustus put a stop to that pretty quickly by assigning her a royal family,” Kyla nodded.

“Who?”

“Octavia and Mark Antony. Granted, Mark Antony wanted to rule Ivan, but Octavian thought him too grasping,” Kyla remembered the ever joking man. He had liked him.

“And who is to rule over Ivan and Katyusha?” Constantine looked uncomfortable at that.

“Tine?”

“They are under Roman rule,” Kyla snarled at that, and Constantine raised his hands in defense.

“And why is that?” Kyla made his way to his children. They looked fine, so far. But he couldn’t be certain. He poked Ivan on the cheek and the boy giggled. He patted Katyusha and she smiled. Then, he tickled Natalia. All the while, Francis was watching him with big eyes. “Don’t think I have forgotten you, baby brother.”

He picked up Francis and placed him at his hip, kissing the soft blonde hair before looking back at Constantine.

“Well, Tine, I am waiting for an explanation?” Constantine was heartened that Kyla still used his shortened name. That was a good sign.

“Their uncle, Sadik, has been telling their grandfather how all three should be conquered,” a shiver went down Kyla’s spine.

“Sadik will get an arrow to the eye, if he continues,” he had killed one brother, despite not wanting to. He could kill another.

“You can’t kill your brother,” said Constantine sternly. “You will be even more cursed. And that curse will be laid on your children too. I have begun peace talks with Sadik and Xiongnu. Ak helps,” Kyla felt guilty that he had left his brother and his lover to take care of his children. This should have been his job. Instead, he had gone to the middle of nowhere.

“So, as Roman federates, you dangle the treat that all of Rome’s legions will descent on the East?” The plan had merit, Kyla had to admit.

“Yes. It won’t be forever. When the three grow up I’ll make sure they are independent,” Francis began to fuss in Kyla’s hold and Bulgaria handed him to Constantine. “And you too, baby brother.”

That seemed to be what Francis wanted to hear because he reached out and grabbed Katyusha’s foot.

“Go and let them play,” Constantine handed Francis to the servant and turned to Kyla. “What is this?”

“A neck warmer. I made it myself,” said Kyla, and he pinned the soft pelt around Constantine’s neck.

“Soft and cozy,” said Constantine, and he went to stand closer to Kyla. “I think we both deserve a kiss. For the good work.”

Kyla grinned and leaned in. The kiss was deep, and they were both breathless when they finished.

“There is another thing,” said Constantine, and Kyla quirked an eyebrow.

“You are in a civil war? I thought the rumors were farfetched,” Kyla had heard about it on the way, but he had hoped it was not the truth.

“There was another purge. Livia’s husband was targeted. They ran off to Sicily,” Kyla nodded. Vaguely remembering Constantine’s first crush from the man’s letters. “And now, the legions are gathering at Philippi.”

“And, why aren’t you there?” Asked Kyla, not understanding.

“Should the legions fail and the rebels, the supporters of Herakles, reach Rome, I need to be here to protect the children. After you dress, I would like you to meet someone. I adopted the Italy twins. They have taken well to the city,” Kyla nodded and Constantine took his hand. “Come on, they are waiting in the gardens.”

In the gardens were two toddlers, doodling away on canvases. One of them was superior to the other, Kyla had to give the brighter boy that. They turned to stare at the newcomers as one.

“Uncle Tine, who is that?” Asked the twin with the brighter hair color.

“Feliciano, this is your uncle Kyla. He came back after he had to go and find himself and what was important to him,” Kyla nodded.

“You are the newcomer to the Balkan,” spoke the other twin. If the brighter one was Feliciano, then the other one must be Romano.

“And Dacia,” reminded him Kyla. “I will make sure you are all guarded well.”

“I can protect myself! I am a grandson of Rome,” spoke Romano proudly.

“And I don’t doubt it,” said Kyla with a smile. He already liked the fighting spirit of the kid. “But I will protect you, all the same.”

1