[001] [Lights in a Cave]
475 3 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[...]

APOCALYPSE THREAT DETECTED

DISENGAGING HIBERNATION MODE

MAIN GENERATOR: CRITICAL DAMAGE

ENERGY CELLS: 0.2% CHARGE

LOADING COUNTERMEASURES

LOADING FAILED

REQUEST TIMEOUT ERROR

INITIATING DIAGNOSTICS

[...]

ARC SYSTEM: CRITICAL DAMAGE

BACKUP GENERATOR: CRITICAL DAMAGE

BIOMASS REACTANTS: 5% CAPACITY

DRONE FABRICATOR: CRITICAL DAMAGE

JANUS SYSTEM: OPERATIONAL

MEMORY BANK CORRUPTION: 94.1%

NETWORK ARRAY: CRITICAL DAMAGE

THALARING SYSTEM: OPERATIONAL

[...]

ADMIN USER NOT FOUND

LAST LOGIN: 2’915’631 DAYS

INITIATING TROUBLESHOOTING

[...]

LOADING PARAMETERS FROM CACHE

ERROR

THALARING FAILURE

INCOMPATIBLE PARAMETERS

INITIATING TROUBLESHOOTING

[...]

APOCALYPSE EVENT CONFIRMED

MAXIMUM PRIORITY

ETHICS PROTOCOL OVERRIDE

JANUS SYSTEM: ENGAGED

ETA: 10 MINUTES

ASSIGNING NEW ADMIN USER

[...]


 

Damon woke up naked, coughing, and feeling like someone had locked a tiny hysterical gnome into his head, one that was trying to break its way out his forehead with an icepick. Every sign pointed that things had gotten a bit too wild during their first leave after the grueling time spent in basic. Or at least that was what he would’ve thought, if not for the absence of clothes, light, and the cold, hard stone floor. He was no expert in construction, but the surface was too irregular to be cement. The absolute darkness around him was not making it easier to recognize where he was. He could only crawl and hope the headache cleared while blindly waving his hand in front of him, searching for a source of light. If he’d stumbled to this place, he’d surely dropped his phone somewhere? Was he alone?

“Ricky? Tom?” He swallowed. “... drill sergeant?”

No response.

Damon’s voice bounced around him with an echo. Whatever this place was, it felt large. A cave of some sort? The consideration left him confused. He didn’t remember there being mountains near the base, let alone caves. But what mattered was that, if he was lucky, he was close enough he’d be able to make it back to base before someone started making questions. Mandatory physical training would be the least of his concerns.

He reached a wall. The stone curved upwards into rougher edges and severely irregular surfaces. Their presence helped him raise himself with a bit more stability, but at the same time, they left him all the more confused. Perhaps this cave was some sort of abandoned mine he’d not heard of? The idea didn’t answer why he was naked or how he got there, which was starting to become a secondary concern to his blindness.

Damon had heard the stories of people getting lost in caves and never coming back. A rather undesirable fate, he could only move forward while using the wall to guide him and hope he wasn’t dooming himself by somehow going deeper into the cave. So long as he wasn’t going downhill…

Relief washed over him when he spotted a very dim, bluish glow dead ahead.

That joy was stomped down when something loud and angry growled. It was followed by a heavy scratching noise, and a muffled shriek. A woman screamed words he did not understand.

[...]

NEW LANGUAGE DETECTED

CLOSEST MATCH: HALTER 28.2%

ENGAGE AUTO-TRANSLATION?

Y/N

[...]

Damon winced as he saw the prompt emerge in front of him. It glowed with a neon green color, yet the light didn’t appear to illuminate anything other than itself. It still hurt to look at. The fact that the message didn’t go away even after closing his eyes brought a fresh layer of confusion and concern.

“This can’t be real.” He muttered, trying to shove the words away fruitlessly. His mind scrambled to organize the bombardment to his senses and the screaming from further ahead.

[...]

TIMEOUT

AUTO-TRANSLATION: ENGAGED

[...]

The glowing letters vanished. “What? I didn’t-.” Damon tried to speak through hushed words. The headache came back tenfold, then a hundredfold. The gnome inside his brain found its friends, and they were using flamethrowers now. Heat radiated from deep inside his skull like an oven about to blow. He stumbled, clutching at his head and holding back a cry of agony. Two seconds later, the hellish fires were gone, leaving his whole body shuddering and the cave spinning madly around him. The ringing in his ears subsided slowly. His brain was attempting to speed-run through a hangover and his naked feet kept shuffling to get back under him while he leaned against the nearest surface.

“NO! GET AWAY!”

It was a scream, followed by more scraping and growls. The ground trembled under Damon’s feet as the scratching continued. His concern over potentially stumbling into a bear’s den was secondary to finding a way to safety.

Uneasy light steps, taken as carefully as he could manage, given the throbbing headache that lingered right behind his forehead. The blue light that illuminated his way was steady, unblinking, the source clearly some sort of LED that’d been dropped to the ground. Azure light cast long shadows against the stalagmites; it bathed the cavern in its glow, and though it illuminated a great deal of the available space, it made the darkness all the harder to make out.

The scratching and whimpering came from one of the shadows to the right. Within those blurry contours something large was moving. It was impossible to make out its true form, but whatever it was, Damon was reconsidering his bear idea. Fortunately for him, the enormous creature was currently focused on one of the walls and had not noticed him. This gave Damon the time to examine the cavern from his hiding spot. There were splatters of a mossy, dark green liquid across the floor, staining a myriad of objects strewn all over the place. 

None of the items looked like the bazooka he wished to make use of right about now. Instead, his dread escalated when his eyes locked on the object laying at his feet.

The five fingers made it easy to recognize, it was a hand devoid of an owner. Damon’s gut tightened and he held the gasp. The smell of blood came to him like a hammer, threatening to push out the contents of his currently empty stomach. The screaming woman begged louder for help, her words rattling against his skull.

The hangover was gone, replaced with the drumbeat of his heart.

Every question and concern gnawing at him exploded in size. His eyes turned to the opposite side of the cave in search of a way out. If there was one, the shadows hid them well. But he wasn’t about to stay put and wait to get ripped apart. Still naked, still dizzy, and still very much unsure where he was, Damon took a first tentative step from the cover of the large stalagmite in the opposite direction to the screams.

With the giant thing not having noticed his presence, Damon took another hesitant step, covering his mouth with a shaking hand. A part of him wanted to just bolt in a full sprint, but he clamped down on that impulse. He had enough of a mind to be sure he did not want to draw the monster’s attention.

“NO!”

The feminine shriek brought a shudder down Damon’s spine. He pushed to ignore it.

Another light step away from the monster. Half-held breath as his free hand leaned into the rocks. Every step was making it clear his attempts to find a way out were proving fruitless. The cavern appeared to be a gigantic circular shape. And though he’d originally moved away from the screams, he was soon forced to start moving him closer. Should he turn back?

He had to try. Fortune smiled down on him, the rock formations and irregular walls let him keep himself to the shadows, his naked feet silent compared to the earth-shaking scratches. It let him push his luck, remaining unnoticed.

And with a glimmer of pale yellow, he spotted the way out.

It was a small tunnel, with light at the other end. The only thing between him and survival was that he’d need to walk around one of the larger rocky formations to get to it, a conglomeration of stalagmites that had likely taken tens of thousands of years to form. And doing so would expose him to the monster.

Damon was determined, so long as the monster didn’t turn around… but he couldn’t afford being cautious. Every step was slow, and every time the monster in the dark stopped moving, so would he. The air was damp and heavy, the scent of blood was mixing with something else, a soggy fur and rot kind of smell that clogged his nose and throat.

But he was going to make it out. The tunnel might be close to the creature, he just had to-.

CRUNCH

Damon froze and looked down at the sensation of something breaking under his foot. Then he turned back up towards the monster’s approximate location within the darkness.

A singular glowing orange eye with a rectangular pupil stared back.

“HELLO? HELP!” the female voice screamed. “I AM A GATHERER! PLEASE SAVE ME!”

Damon wasn’t listening, frozen in place as he saw the monster staring back at him. In his mind, he wondered whether he had time to run for the exit. The thought evaporated as the eye shifted along with the shadows, the large creature turning, the eye vanished from view, and two others took its place. These were yellow with narrowed pupils that locked on him.

What followed was a bone-chilling growl that shook the dust from the ceiling and the ground under his feet. Rows of fangs the size of his forearm glinted under the azure light.

It was like a gunshot. Damon leapt to the side, ducking behind the stone structure without a moment of hesitation. But the leap turned out far longer than he’d estimated, landing near the center of the cavern. His mind reeled, trying to make sense of how he’d somehow turned the half-meter lunge into almost three times that, but the sound of something heavy slamming against the cave walls arrested his attention onto the spot he’d been occupying a second ago.

Through the entwining darkness and blue light, he spotted the two yellow eyes and rows of bloody fangs. “Nice little monster.” He raised his hands, trying to step back and definitely looking for anything he could do to get out of this situation alive. The lack of heavy ordnance made that unlikely, however. “Just a nice cute what-the-fuck, one that’s going to just let me walk away.”

“DON’T LEAVE ME HERE!” The voice screamed from where the monster had originally been.

He didn’t get a chance to respond.

The horror lunged forward, and Damon reacted by doing the same sideways. Everything felt off. His body was too light, and the leap too far. Had the world become a bouncy-castle while he hadn’t been paying attention? At least it got him away from the salivating maw that had tried to chomp down on the general area he’d been occupying. The crash this time sent him tumbling towards the wall, his attempt to scramble back to his feet narrowing his focus too much to pay attention to the beast for a bit too long.

The instant his feet were back under him, Damon lunged forward before he could stop to check on the monster’s location. And not a moment too soon, a blue flash of fur and scales had followed. The monster had bodied its way against the rocky formations with apparent little preoccupation. Dust rose and stone crumbled. Under the shadows of the blue light, Damon barely made out the quadrupedal nature of the thing. Its head was disproportionately large, its bloody fangs massive, and its maw left a stench of rotting meat in its wake.

He quickly realized he was faster than the beast, but the beast was able to jump like it was nobody’s business. And the moment the horror caught him in a bite, he’d turn into a burger. The many shadows also didn’t help. He wasn’t able to fully see the monster, meanwhile it clearly had a perfect bead on him. Damon’s main saving grace was how slowly the monster took to turn around.

“HELP ME!” the woman shouted from wherever it was she was hiding.

“Help yourself, lady!” he roared back.

Nothing was making sense to Damon. This thing shouldn’t exist, he shouldn’t feel this light, and he definitely shouldn’t be naked in a cave. His mind raced. He couldn’t escape in the direction he’d come from. Too dark. The other alternative looked like a corridor, not much room to dodge. Case in point, a cluster of stalagmites crumbled under the impact of the creature as it slammed them head first.

It didn’t even flinch as it spun around to face him again. The blue light shone on the monster. It looked like someone had taken a car-sized wolf and made its head a full third of its body. Damon froze as he realized it had come to a halt exactly in front of the exit tunnel. Maybe this was his way out?

His mind whirled through the options. Only one idea came out. “This is crazy.”

The monster’s legs, he noticed, were stout, tightly bent like some sort of overgrown deformed grasshopper. Damon’s eyes locked onto them as he sprinted towards the monster, ignoring every instinct screaming at him to go in the opposite direction to avoid the fangs. The creature opened its maw and its limbs tensed. Damon took the sign to jump as high as he could.

For a split second, he was flying. The next, the beast was passing under him, its yellow eyes blazing with hatred.

“Olé!” He shouted out of the sheer adrenaline-fueled euphoria.

Damon landed, ready to run. The monster would need time to turn around, enough time he’d get a good lead on the thing. The angle would make things awkward for the beast, further increasing his chances. But his thoughts stopped when a chill ran down his spine. He glanced over his shoulder at the monster to confirm it had indeed crashed against the wall. 

A singular orange eye with a rectangular iris looked at him. An eye that was housed on the back of the monster’s head.

“Oh sh-.”

The monster leapt backwards, not caring to turn around. Damon had not been prepared to react to having the thing back-slam him with its thick-scaled hide. And hit it did, like an out of control truck. His feet left the ground, and they were both sent crashing against the cave wall.

The impact rung his head like a bell. The world was spinning wildly, his thoughts scattered under the buzzing between his ears. He could barely make out as the monster landed on the floor and rolled back to its feet, shuffling as it turned in his direction. Its gigantic bloody maw dripped saliva on the cavern floor, the monster eager to bring the fight to a tasty end.

Panic fought its way through the ringing headache. Damon’s attempts at standing resulted in stumbling steps. He had to find the strength to run, to dodge, to get out of there.

The beast tensed, ready for a lunge.

Damon felt his legs collapse under him. He fell flat, and that gave him a front-row seat to the monster slamming its muzzle against the wall like a freight train. Something bumped against his hand. He looked down, one of the shattered stalagmites. He glanced upwards at the soft furry underside of the monster’s jaw.

Summoning every bit of strength he could muster, he lurched upward with his improvised weapon.

It pierced through the flesh with barely any resistance. Damon kept pushing upwards with every ounce of power he was able to muster. His mouth opened in a scream, the monster howled, flung itself away, dragging him along for the ride. But now that a chance to survive was within sight, he clutched at the monster’s fur with his free hand, unwilling to let go.

The blue light illuminating the cave made the beast’s blood look black as it splattered down his arm and all around him. The creature shook left and right, jumping and turning to little result. The moment Damon felt the ground back under his feet, and the monster’s weight bearing down on him, he shoved upwards. The scream burned through his lungs, 

It leapt again, stumbling, Damon withdrew his arm enough to thrust it back in with everything he had. Something cracked within the mass of flesh, bone, and muscle.

Rock or bone, he couldn’t tell. But it was as far as his strength would let him go. He released his grip and fell on the stony floor, heaving for air, everything hurt all around. The monster bounced away, the last of its strength leaving it as it toppled and hit the far-off wall, rolling to a stop. 

Hateful yellow eyes peered down at him, blood oozing from its mouth, eyes, nose, and ears. The light within its orbs dimming with every passing moment.

It didn’t get back up.

[...]

CONGRATULATIONS!

YOU BARELY MANAGED TO SLAY A d҉̷̧̛4̢̧̧̧͝$̕f̸͞:̵҉͟_̛͘2̵̧͘͢z̶͏̢̀ !

GAINED: 3 HUNTER POINTS (+1 FOR EFFORT). TOTAL: 4

REDEEM POINTS AND MATERIALS IN EXCHANGE FOR UPGRADES (YOU’LL NEED THOSE)!

NEAREST BOOTH LOCATED AT: 5͟͠҉&̶̴̡_̀͢:̶̀̕̕͢ȩ͝2̷̢͜2̸̨ 

[...]

“I know they say things are bigger in Texas.” He half panted, swatting at the glowing words, the strength in his body waning. “But that was one ugly motherfucker.”

Thankfully, the annoying green screen vanished along with Damon’s consciousness.

 


 

Deep in the darkness of the cosmos, an object moved at several times the speed of light. The spaceship did this by wrapping space around itself, compressing it on one end and expanding it back out on the other. From outside the bubble, the object left a streak of shimmering light in its wake. From within the world outside was darkness, no stars, no constellations, no gas formations, nothing save the ship itself.

It was a light scout vessel, being a modest hundred meters in length and shaped like an acorn that had been cut in half. The ship had been designed to take fast voyages through uncharted space, a task it was deemed to still be able to carry out despite the clear state of disrepair.

And inside this unfortunate old ship was a singular Zuun passenger.

Emilie stood from her swivel chair, her head moving to the beat of the song. Nimble chitin-coated feet tapped against the alloy gray floor as she deftly spun on the spot, holding onto her metal cup of her favorite hot beverage, AW14, with little concern for spillage thanks to the lid. Her lips, a luxury mod she’d bought just two work cycles ago, half mumbled the song of one of the catchiest themes that had swarmed through the net before she’d jumped off-station for her task. Her mind still not quite awake, longing to return to the still warm tight embrace of her cot.

Her dance came to a halt in front of the large monitor next to the refrigeration unit. The screen was littered with numbers and graphs, readings from the sensor array. She inspected them with her two main eyes, not needing the focus from the adjacent pair. Now that they were closer to their destination, the precision of the simulations was slowly increasing, and Emilie was liking these results. She might even get a bonus out of this.

“What’s the ETA?”

The screen flickered, a timer showed up, and she choked on her beverage, all eyes bulging.

A coughing fit followed, she hastily downed the remainder of her drink and rushed through the dimly lit corridors towards the locker room. With a discarded metal cup left to roll against the floor, she fumbled her way through removing her oil-stained clothes and putting on the marine blue EVA undersuit. “Shit, shit, shit…” Looking at her reflection, she grimaced, metal-follicle-growths were all over the place, bags under her irritated eyes from spending too long watching her series during the previous rest cycle, her skin was slightly off color too!

But there was no time for anything fancy, she splashed some water on her face and combed her hair with her steel-reinforced self-defense nails as best she could while running towards the command room. The doors hissed, but didn’t open. “Come on, not now!” Her fist slammed twice, to no effect. “Why today? Not today!” She kicked, thrice, still nothing. “Open up you piece of scrap, or I’m turning you into my next chair!”

The doors opened at her fourth kick, Emilie nearly stumbled but caught herself, hastily moving towards the dusty captain’s chair and jumping on it. She froze when she saw a singular red blinking light on the armrest. “No!” But it wasn’t like she could do anything about it. She groaned inwardly, and pressed the blinking light anyway.

Instantly, the black wall in front of her lit up, revealing an expanse of blackness as a direct feed from the external cameras. Protocol for when it was time to record a report.

A deep breath, she forced a smile on her lips as the recording focused on her face. The forced protocol for expressions might be annoying to adjust to now that she’d upgraded herself, but it was worth it. It certainly was better having mandibles! Though she still spent some time in front of the mirror flapping them around a bit. Fun!

No, this was not the time to distract herself.

“This is captain Emilie Meier of the Second Hisien, scraper scout vessel ID:CASQIEK2. Log three hundred and twelve.” Her lips struggled against the smile, the muscles were not used to it. She pressed two buttons on the console to bring up the latest simulations. “Currently entering the binary star system from the Braket belt, coordinates 1.3-4.3-5.4-8.2. Preliminary scans show two wet planets within the habitable zone, two rocky planets, and one gas giant. Radiological and spectrometer readings also show a potential presence of pre-First-Wave technology. Next update will come upon exit of interstellar winds and entry into the system’s heliosphere.”

She pressed the blinking red light again, then a bit more forcefully five more times, until it finally beeped in acknowledgement that the recording had turned off. A loud groan followed as she rubbed at the bridge of her nose, slumping into the chair and letting her mouth rest.

“Please tell me I didn’t…” A beep from her right, she glanced at it. “Penalty due to misdemeanor, of course.” She slumped onto her seat and groaned, sure that it was going to be one of those expeditions.

 


 

New series! Will be posting 2 chapters a week, every week.

This chapter and the couple after it were re-written roughly 4 different times from the ground up. And well after that I realized that "Neuralink" is a name of something that already exists (curse you Musk!) and had to rename it to something different.

 

For anyone interested in reading ahead, the first 8 chapters are available for free over at my Patreon (readers there are roughly 5-8 weeks ahead)!

8